Was Colin Moriarty right?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • InvisibleCrane 19 Jun 2013 22:17:17 85 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Back during the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco IGN editor Colin Moriarty did a video talking about how gamers were basically spoiled/entitled crybabies and people just gave him hell for it. But since then I've got to thinking, was he right?. Okay maybe he could have worded whatever he said better but still in the long run was he right?
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Jun 2013 22:19:21 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No. Arrogant and idiotic, yes. Correct, aside from a small minority, not at all.
  • InvisibleCrane 19 Jun 2013 22:21:53 85 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder A small minority?. I disagree I think it's quite a big chunk of the gaming community that is like that. Just take the Xbox One thing. Yes even I admit MS screwed up bigtime but surely this whole thing could have been sorted out without resorting to the usual crying and bitching that happens.
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Jun 2013 22:25:25 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @InvisibleCrane I disagree totally, it's only by being very loud and clear on this that we have made Microsoft listen.

People love gaming and are passionate about it, that's easy to misread as bitchiness and whining. Of course there is that minority but to act as if all gamers are crybaby's is just stupid.
  • INSOMANiAC 19 Jun 2013 22:33:10 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @InvisibleCrane What by people saying nothing? Microsoft are another another, extremely arrogant planet where consumer rights dont mean anything. If there was no 'bitching and whining' they'd still be sat up there now instead of on their knees eating humble pie.

The ending of a game means fuck all, when someone tries to tell you what you can do with your own property (bollocks to all this 'you've bought a license you dont own the game' bullshit) then people need to be heard

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 22:33:54 19-06-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• InvisibleCrane 19 Jun 2013 22:44:46 85 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder Okay fair enough, not every gamer out there is a crybaby. It's just I feel that with the way the gaming community acts it makes people into gaming look bad. Like we can never be happy with anything. Sure it's not just gaming that is like that but gamers seem to be the loudest when it comes to that and I feel it makes us look and the medium look bad in the long run
  • INSOMANiAC 19 Jun 2013 23:22:55 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Irony post ?

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• TheRealBadabing 19 Jun 2013 23:29:33 1,283 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We should all act like grown-ups and thank the industry for letting us buy their stuff. Corporate execs know what is right for us, we have to trust their decisions. If we don't behave they might just decide to make chairs instead and then where would we be? Eh? EH?

Some people really need to examine their position in life. We are the ones they report to, not the other way round. If we don't buy their products they are the ones that lose and someone else is always waiting to take their place.

So stop being so subservient to these corporations and be happy that they are listening to feedback before they make a huge mistake. If you think the feedback was childish then blame the format. Not many well balanced arguments have been completed in 140 characters or less.
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Jun 2013 23:35:33 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @InvisibleCrane but that's what happens with anything that people are very passionate about. It's no different to screaming bieber fans, Star Wars film fans, etc. I've invested thousands of pounds into gaming over my life so far, not to mention countless hours of playing games, talking about, selling them and writing about them. I have every right to complain when companies try to take my rights away, and if I buy a game series I also have a right to a view as to whether it is good or bad.
  • Deleted user 19 June 2013 23:40:31
    Depends on the issue. Mass Effect 3, yes. It's the ending the dev gave it, you may not like it, but its what they choose to do.

This whole thing with MS though, no. They were chipping away at certain consumer rights and we refused to buy into something we didn't like. Simple.

Edited by SG59 at 23:41:47 19-06-2013
  • Deckard1 19 Jun 2013 23:42:11 27,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Every day that goes by I get a little bit more ashamed to be associated with "gaming" and the internet.
  • TheRealBadabing 19 Jun 2013 23:52:45 1,283 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Every day that goes by I get a little bit more ashamed to be associated with "gaming" and the internet.
    It's really hard for me to understand this sort of attitude, so forgive me if this question seems blunt:

Would you rather sites like EG and/or people in general just accepted where their hobby was going or would you rather we pushed back a little and voiced an opinion?
  • INSOMANiAC 20 Jun 2013 00:04:29 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TheRealBadabing he'd rather spend all night posting pictures of shrubbery. That's not embarrassing.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• dsmx 20 Jun 2013 00:06:25 7,563 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be honest I think it's sader that Microsoft thought they could do this in the first place, surely someone at the company new this was bound to happen the second it leaked out? Or maybe that was why it leaked out in the first place.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• DrStrangelove 20 Jun 2013 00:36:45 3,401 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As someone being angry about ME3: I don't think I am entitled to anything, but I think it's only fair to be angry about what they did to what started as one of the most epic sci-fi stories ever. Similarly how you could be angry at Star Wars ep. 1&2 because they were really disappointing cheesy prequels to something people dearly loved and paid shitloads of money for. George Lucas has still the authority to do what he wants with Star Wars or Indiana Jones, but people also have the right to be angry at his decisions.

Or take Dead Space. Lots of fans preorder a sequel in the hope it will be an evolution of the original, with changes, but sticking true to the survival horror that made them love it in the first place, and then they get something that is much more shooter and much less horror. They bought it because it said Dead Space on the box, but then there was little Dead Space inside anymore.

Again, many are really overdoing their reactions, and behave like it was the end of the world, but everyone has the right to voice their disappointment and frustration imo.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 00:38:37 20-06-2013
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next