MS to back track on DRM and always online? Page 3

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• King_Edward 19 Jun 2013 21:35:09 11,471 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SparkyMarky81 wrote:
    Bit embarrassing to make such a huge u-turn. I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of some of the decent stuff the One does.
    Don't worry, it still knows when you're masturbating.
  • mothercruncher 19 Jun 2013 21:36:23 7,880 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any news on the spy-wanking thing yet?
  • mothercruncher 19 Jun 2013 21:36:42 7,880 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^ shit.
  • stevethemeat 19 Jun 2013 21:37:30 633 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Now if we can just get the price lowered by about 50.
  • Progguitarist 19 Jun 2013 21:38:44 10,537 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They've seen sense!
  • Fake_Blood 19 Jun 2013 21:39:03 4,460 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fuck the price, gold should be free and they can keep their 2 free old games.
  • stevethemeat 19 Jun 2013 21:41:55 633 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Fuck the price, gold should be free and they can keep their 2 free old games.
    It would be nice, but its not happening, if they really want to build on this they should either drop the price to near or the same as the PS4, or include a free 12 month gold sub with day 1 purchases.
  • SparkyMarky81 19 Jun 2013 21:42:59 567 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    SparkyMarky81 wrote:
    Bit embarrassing to make such a huge u-turn. I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of some of the decent stuff the One does.
    Don't worry, it still knows when you're masturbating.
    It's like an episode of the Inbetweeners on here.
  • Syrette 19 Jun 2013 21:43:53 44,268 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Holy shit.

Really, the first term that has entered my head is "a shambles". I mean, the console has been built around this 'always-connected/online' philosophy. And now they're going to drop it all? Why did it need almost the entire gaming community/industry to complain for them to realise how stupid they have been?

I don't think for a second that this (if all true) is a decision made entirely for the consumer. It's a business decision because they knew all this DRM shit would lead to less sales.

And yet, it's pretty cool that they're actually going to admit their mistakes and revert back to how things should be.

And with that, I might get a One within 12 months after all (I'm 100% PS4 at launch though, and want that console far more than I do the One regardless of all the controversy).

• Dolly 19 Jun 2013 21:44:14 3,261 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Too late for me, they just look like a bunch of clowns now.

Not trusting 400+ on a product that's 5 months from launch, which doesn't seem to have a fookin clue what it will or won't do in so many key areas.
  • oceanmotion 19 Jun 2013 21:44:53 16,129 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice depending on the changes.

If only Kinect was an option as well.
  • morriss 19 Jun 2013 21:45:32 71,286 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is unprecedented. Fucking hell.
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Jun 2013 21:46:55 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @morriss I believe Sony backtracked on licensing rules on ps3, but to this extent is something else.

They had no choice though, Onesie was going to get decimated.
  • monkehhh 19 Jun 2013 21:47:12 3,525 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seems like they've been writing this updated information for a few hours.. hopefully this is being proof-read by everyone in the company.
  • Baihu1983 19 Jun 2013 21:47:52 3,638 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
  • Whizzo 19 Jun 2013 21:48:01 43,370 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Drop the Kinect and lower the price and things get interesting again.

This space left intentionally blank.

• phAge 19 Jun 2013 21:48:56 24,445 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like how admitting a mistake and trying to correct it is somehow being turned into a bad thing.

Well done, internet.
  • ElNuevo9 19 Jun 2013 21:50:52 13,604 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Holy shit.

Really, the first term that has entered my head is "a shambles". I mean, the console has been built around this 'always-connected/online' philosophy. And now they're going to drop it all? Why did it need almost the entire gaming community/industry to complain for them to realise how stupid they have been?

I don't think for a second that this (if all true) is a decision made entirely for the consumer. It's a business decision because they knew all this DRM shit would lead to less sales.

And yet, it's pretty cool that they're actually going to admit their mistakes and revert back to how things should be.

And with that, I might get a One within 12 months after all (I'm 100% PS4 at launch though, and want that console far more than I do the One regardless of all the controversy).
    Yeah, it really is a bit of a cluster fuck of epic proportions.

The whole "we've listened to our community" line is laughable. No, you've not listened to your community. If you had, you'd have realised that people were vehemently against this from the day the rumours surfaced. You've done this because your biggest competitors decided against it and made you look like a bit of a joke in the process.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Baihu1983 19 Jun 2013 21:51:09 3,638 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.
    Edited by Baihu1983 at 21:52:36 19-06-2013
  • oconnomiyaki 19 Jun 2013 21:51:22 245 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sweet. Halo here I come.
  • stevethemeat 19 Jun 2013 21:51:39 633 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    I like how admitting a mistake and trying to correct it is somehow being turned into a bad thing.

Well done, internet.
    I know its great.
  • Deleted user 19 June 2013 21:52:12
    Not just GAF, it's here: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
  • oconnomiyaki 19 Jun 2013 21:52:46 245 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Still have to laugh about the whole "Gamers are going to love our vision of the future."

Does this mean game sharing is out?
  • SparkyMarky81 19 Jun 2013 21:52:50 567 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

So there you have it...
  • Pynchon 19 Jun 2013 21:53:03 114 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The cynic in me wonders if all the DRM stuff will simply be introduced once they feel they've sold enough consoles...possibly under cover of an dashboard interface refresh.
  • Feanor 19 Jun 2013 21:53:22 14,185 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Great news for everybody, except the morons who claimed that the Xbox One style DRM was inevitable for videogames and that Sony would do the same thing.
  • Baihu1983 19 Jun 2013 21:53:35 3,638 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yep its official.
  • stevethemeat 19 Jun 2013 21:53:48 633 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Baihu1983 Fair play, they have acted quickly, they must have been shocked at the huge shit storm it created.
  • Deckard2 19 Jun 2013 21:54:03 3,727 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Embarassing company. Why anyone would buy from them now is a mystery. Other than the "oh no I can't live without a shiny exclusive game not even with all these millions of other games no I want THAT one waaah" people.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last