MS to back track on DRM and always online? Page 18

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• neilka 20 Jun 2013 23:21:55 15,871 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was SONY in the E3 with the PANDERING TO IDIOTS

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Bremenacht 20 Jun 2013 23:22:08 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    It was Sony. http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/20/xbox-ones-drm-u-turn-thank-sony-not-the-core/
    I mostly agree with that. I dunno about 'aggression' though. Sony didn't come up with their strategy in reaction to Microsoft's conference or anything else out of Microsoft, I believe. I think they did it because that strategy worked this gen. It's simple and it costs nothing.
  • Bremenacht 20 Jun 2013 23:22:48 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    It was SONY in the E3 with the PANDERING TO IDIOTS
    DONT U CALL ME IDIOT YUO DUMB*ASS
  • RobTheBuilder 20 Jun 2013 23:25:09 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    An industry with Xbox one drm would become a failed industry too
  • oceanmotion 20 Jun 2013 23:31:36 15,848 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The truth
    Bravo, good read.
  • King_Edward 20 Jun 2013 23:35:37 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just as long as we all remember it's absolutely not, and never will be Microsofts fault.
  • Deleted user 20 June 2013 23:37:46
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The truth
    Bravo, good read.
    Bloody great read. He makes good points in everything he said and backed them up.

Edit: stupid auto-correct!

Edited by SG59 at 23:41:51 20-06-2013
  • King_Edward 20 Jun 2013 23:38:22 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @SG59

Is that a fat joke? :)
  • Deleted user 20 June 2013 23:44:19
    @King_Edward

Not intentionally, but I'll take the credit if its going :)
  • Bremenacht 21 Jun 2013 00:11:21 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The truth
    I enjoyed that. A good read.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 00:13:07
    "More studios WILL close and you’ll see more PC and mobile games"
    Mobile games I can take or leave. The rest sounds good to me.
  • cubbymoore 21 Jun 2013 00:29:01 36,488 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How is there a correlation between the number of studios going down to PC games going up?
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 01:30:26
    I presumed he meant "big AAA studios", leaving all the indie devs the glory.
  • Progguitarist 21 Jun 2013 01:30:36 10,424 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I feel really sorry for Cliffy. He's probably short of a few quid.
  • steoc4 21 Jun 2013 01:56:21 1,655 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The truth
    Bravo, good read.
    Bloody great read. He makes good points in everything he said and backed them up.

Not sure I agree. He cited what has to be an absolutely massive outlier in terms of app store pricing as an example of digital not necessarily being cheaper, and even when cherry picking the most expensive iOS game he could find, it was still half the price of the average disc game.

Then in PC world he homed in on Origin for his example of what it would be like, rather than the far more prevalent, for more successful and customer friendly examples. And he writes off consoles from ever having an experience like Steam because PCs got there gradually, while consoles have shit interfaces. But surely that's the point? PCs have gradually got better and better while consoles stood still, and with the new generation it's time for consoles to get back on par? He seems to be saying the new consoles can't give an experience as good as PCs, purely because the old consoles didn't.

All that said, having the option of disc games doesn't stop the digital future the way some people have been saying. I *could* go to Game and find some PC games rather than just getting them on steam, but I don't. I actually feel a lot better about the sense of ownership of having that game in my steam collection no matter where I log on from, and I'm happy to give up the chance of trading in for that (fully aware that I don't have the option of trading in PC games regardless)

If the new consoles get it right, I expect we'll have the same thing. I do wonder if a couple of years from now everyone will be downloading all their games and this will all be forgotten, just like the fuss about backwards compatibility that seems to kick up at the start of every generation and soon gets forgotten about when people realise they're happy using their consoles to play new games.
  • Riven326 21 Jun 2013 03:00:03 41 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The truth
    Bravo, good read.
    Calls the game industry figureheads out on their hypocrisy and eagerness to blame the consumer for this industry's woes? Sounds like Jim Sterling alright. He's a great guy and he speaks the truth. A very good read indeed.

People like Cliff Bleszinski are very quick to blame consumers. But what did he do to come up with alternatives to overpriced AAA games during his time in the industry? Absolutely nothing.

Edited by Riven326 at 03:01:12 21-06-2013

Xbox Live: Riven326
    Steam: Riven326

• PenguinJim 21 Jun 2013 05:39:17 5,837 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If they were overpriced, why did people buy them?
  • Spectral 21 Jun 2013 05:43:31 4,980 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think he means to make.
  • PenguinJim 21 Jun 2013 05:45:15 5,837 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, I see. My comprehension fail. >.<

Although personally, I like buying games that cost a lot to make. Gives me an extra sense of value. Especially if they are many, many GB. Buying a 1GB game feels like a rip-off.
  • Spectral 21 Jun 2013 05:46:58 4,980 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah but it is getting silly. When a game can sell 5 million in a month and be considered a disappointment there's something wrong.
  • mikew1985 21 Jun 2013 08:28:10 12,672 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The truth
    Bravo, good read.

Yep, to be fair that was a decent read.
  • pigsy2400 21 Jun 2013 08:32:25 153 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i bet big old gabe had a right chuckle on hearing the news
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 16:57:15
    @steoc4

I'm mainly talking about the way they're trying to treat consumers. Publishers constantly blame everyone but themselves. In the 90's they blamed rentals for killing the industry, then it was piracy, now it's the turn of used games.
  • snowbored 21 Jun 2013 18:52:53 444 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The cynic in me says there has been no real u-turn, and that instead it will spun in a different way and introduced gently so we all get used to it.

Not right away but soon 1 or 2 AAA titles will require activation and only work with one account (I'm betting on COD first), then more will follow suit and then further down the line maybe they'll require a log in every 24 hours (although TBH I don't see the point of this maybe someone can enlighten me).

Sony said there was nothing they could do to stop publishers introducing this kind of thing, which is maybe them getting their excuses in first.

I hopefully not everyone will go down this route, but I think it will be considered standard practice for AAA games before the next, next gen.

Edited by snowbored at 18:53:19 21-06-2013
  • mcmothercruncher 21 Jun 2013 19:04:42 6,846 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It will absolutely be introduced eventually, I'd stake my house on it. We're going in that direction. Question is- how fast now?
    Microsoft will plan a slow slide- hopefully carrot and stick this time, rather than just stick- in that direction and Sony wouldn't mind tagging along too. Nintendo are probably stuck too deep in a Mario 25 shaped groove to be able to see out at this point.
  • RightBean 21 Jun 2013 19:16:06 639 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Used games have always been part of the industry for as long as I can remember. And for as long as I can remember I have heard the industry described as booming, growing, expanding. Now games are more expensive to make, but you sell more copies of them, there are more people buying them, that is covered. I'm sure many of these budgets could be reduced, but presumably when they set a budget for the game, they do expect to make a profit from it... and they know the sort of return they can expect on their investment.. if it's not enough, then perhaps go into some other business.
  • DodgyPast 21 Jun 2013 19:20:10 8,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The AAA multi-platform publishers can do what the hell they like, as long they don't expect me to accept it.

Plenty of people will gladly allow themselves to be shafted but not everyone will for every game which means more cash is up for grabs for other devs.

Isn't that a good thing?
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 19:24:59
    RightBean wrote:
    Used games have always been part of the industry for as long as I can remember. And for as long as I can remember I have heard the industry described as booming, growing, expanding. Now games are more expensive to make, but you sell more copies of them, there are more people buying them, that is covered. I'm sure many of these budgets could be reduced, but presumably when they set a budget for the game, they do expect to make a profit from it... and they know the sort of return they can expect on their investment.. if it's not enough, then perhaps go into some other business.
    Another aspect of this is every single publisher putting out identi-kit big budget shit because it worked for someone else the previous year and then getting butthurt when their own version tanks because no one cares enough to play it.

Cue them blaming piracy and second hand sales for the abysmal performance of "Pretty Looking Generic Shooter : Awakening" when the real problem is that no one needed their game in the first place.
  • ronuds 21 Jun 2013 19:38:57 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know how the gaming community can make the case that "it's not our fault your budgets are too high" and then turn around and complain when every game isn't the best looking you've ever seen, running at 900fps in 4k209786p and completely unique in every way.
  • morriss 21 Jun 2013 19:40:05 70,947 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So many experts in here.

oh wait.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last