Would you try anything once? Page 3

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• nickthegun 18 Jun 2013 11:47:34 58,804 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    What's inhumane about a bolt to the head?
    Its more about their life up to that point.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 18 Jun 2013 11:47:56 43,228 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    The bolt to the head comes after a life of intensive battery farming conditions.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• JuanKerr 18 Jun 2013 11:48:04 36,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cod stocks are recovering apparently. Plus, it takes just a little while longer for whale stocks to recover ...
  • PenguinJim 18 Jun 2013 11:48:04 5,758 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :chatty:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Not wanting to eat insects is not "prissy". Fair play to you if its something you enjoy, but saying someone not wanting to eat this are prissy is a bit unfair.

That actually looks like it would be delicious. Stop being so prissy!

I'll eat most things (sea cucumber (sometimes referred to as sea slug) is delicious, by the way! So are chicken feet and (especially) pig feet. But not kangaroo sausages - you're better off getting a kangaroo joint to roast), but I draw the line at spiders. I will not eat a spider. No sir. Nope. Doesn't matter how you cook it. I'm not interested.

I'd prefer not to eat a cockroach... I think. I could do it, though... again, I think. But not a spider.

In Taiwan there's a dish called "stinky tofu", which is sold by street vendors. Visitors often confuse the aroma they've just passed through as coming from an open sewer. The taste is... extremely strong. Possibly resembling what I imagine rancid diarrhea to taste like. And you can choose normal or spicy.

I don't like it at all. I try to eat it at least once a month, so I'll get used to the taste, and hopefully love it one day. :D I don't like not liking foods!

I was extremely jealous of people in the UK a couple of months ago, as horse is absolutely without a doubt my favourite meat. :chatty:
  • nickthegun 18 Jun 2013 11:48:13 58,804 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    nick: Minke whales are not endangered and cod are in far more trouble than any whale.
    Fine, go nuts then.

He totally called it

• smoothpete 18 Jun 2013 11:49:51 31,342 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    pete: I don't choose my menu based on how lowly animals are. They are magnificent but they may also be tasty.
    Well, maybe you should. Would you eat elephant? Blue whale? Chimpanzee?
  • JuanKerr 18 Jun 2013 11:50:03 36,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    The bolt to the head comes after a life of intensive battery farming conditions.
    One solution is to avoid cheap shitty meat. People get upset about intensive farming practices, yet continue shovelling shit meat down their faces.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Jun 2013 11:50:28 43,228 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Cod stocks are recovering apparently. Plus, it takes just a little while longer for whale stocks to recover ...
    Yep, but whales are extremely conservatively fished next to almost everything else in the sea. Surely it's better to take only enough to not endanger the population from all species, if you like including whales?

• disusedgenius 18 Jun 2013 11:50:48 5,220 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    It's not like our industrial meat production is humane, is it? Or fish caught in nets and then left to suffocate in buckets? etc. etc.
    Humane-er, for the most part, sure. Or at least there are better options available if you care.

The big issue I have is that there's no better way to do it - it's not like you can really improve the process like you can with regular farmed meats.
  • JuanKerr 18 Jun 2013 11:50:48 36,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or just don't fucking eat whales!
  • Deckard1 18 Jun 2013 11:50:51 27,194 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    pete: I don't choose my menu based on how lowly animals are. They are magnificent but they may also be tasty.
    Yeah this really.
  • DrStrangelove 18 Jun 2013 11:51:00 3,372 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

whales are not endangered and cod are in far more trouble than any whale.
    Whales aren't quite as endangered today as they used to be, but that's mainly because whaling has been banned on almost the entire world.
  • Dougs 18 Jun 2013 11:51:23 66,705 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm quite a fussy eater, and particularly don't really like seafood at all. Tried virtually everything, and mostly it does nothing for me. Some I actively dislike (salmon, tinned fish), others I can tolerate but choose to eat other stuff. I know I'm missing out though. Some textures also bother me, that'll be the slightly autistic side that everyone has manifesting itself - compacted mince a real problem, so no burgers for me!

I would struggle in some places. :-/ I am aware that this makes me a bit of a tit.
  • DrStrangelove 18 Jun 2013 11:52:00 3,372 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    It's not like our industrial meat production is humane, is it? Or fish caught in nets and then left to suffocate in buckets? etc. etc.
    Humane-er, for the most part, sure. Or at least there are better options available if you care.

The big issue I have is that there's no better way to do it - it's not like you can really improve the process like you can with regular farmed meats.
    I don't know how they do it in Britain, but in Germany for example they suffocate pigs in a CO2 bath. And suffocation is one of the most cruel killing methods of all.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 11:53:01 18-06-2013
  • LeoliansBro 18 Jun 2013 11:52:03 43,228 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Nope, nope, nope. First two are endangered, the third is a little close to cannibalism (I'm aware that this is a touch hypocritical).

Is a lobster not magnificent? A salmon? An ostrich?

• LeoliansBro 18 Jun 2013 11:52:51 43,228 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Whales aren't quite as endangered today as they used to be, but that's mainly because whaling has been banned on almost the entire world.
    Yep, so it's fine to take from sustainable population. I would absolutely not eat whale if I was encouraging hunting which might lead to extinction.

• disusedgenius 18 Jun 2013 11:53:25 5,220 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I don't know how they do it in Britain, but in Germany for example they suffocate them in a CO2 bath. And suffocation is one of the most cruel killing methods of all.
    Blimey. Over here it's usually electrocution (I believe), which is pretty instant.
  • smoothpete 18 Jun 2013 11:54:48 31,342 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Nope, nope, nope. First two are endangered, the third is a little close to cannibalism (I'm aware that this is a touch hypocritical).

When you get down to brass tacks then you could call anything magnificent if you wanted to, even the humble carrot.
  • JuanKerr 18 Jun 2013 11:55:15 36,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Yep, so it's fine to take from sustainable population. I would absolutely not eat whale if I was encouraging hunting which might lead to extinction.
    What about the fact that whales can't really be killed humanely? It would really really bother me that an animal suffered horribly just so I could have a meal.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Jun 2013 11:55:43 43,228 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah like I said JK that's not something I'd considered.

• JuanKerr 18 Jun 2013 11:56:19 36,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fair play :)
  • nickthegun 18 Jun 2013 11:57:20 58,804 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    All of those are ugly, stupid looking things to a man.

He totally called it

• Deckard1 18 Jun 2013 11:57:52 27,194 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Whales are possibly the most amazing creatures on earth. Really don't know why anyone would want to eat one just because they might be tasty.
  • disusedgenius 18 Jun 2013 11:59:36 5,220 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Because it's *really* tasty. If someone put a good cut on a plate in front of me it'd be a hell of an ethical test to resist.

Edited by disusedgenius at 12:02:33 18-06-2013
  • JuanKerr 18 Jun 2013 11:59:49 36,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Blue Whale is the largest known animal to have ever existed. Mental!
  • smoothpete 18 Jun 2013 12:01:14 31,342 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mental image of LB at the bow of a ship in high stormy seas off the coast of Greenland taking pot shots at humpback whales with an RPG
  • LeoliansBro 18 Jun 2013 12:05:23 43,228 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah there's a sociopath somewhere in my nature. But it doesn't mean I can't look at cod fishing and whale fishing and recognise one risks driving a species to extinction and yet all the Greenpeace protesting is about the other one.

• Zizoo 18 Jun 2013 12:07:06 8,114 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Would anyone here not try horse meat? Not endangered, but they top the list for a lot of people as far as magnificent creatures go.
  • disusedgenius 18 Jun 2013 12:08:01 5,220 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Would anyone here not try horse meat?
    Does a Zebra burger count? :)
  • DrStrangelove 18 Jun 2013 12:08:14 3,372 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I don't know how they do it in Britain, but in Germany for example they suffocate them in a CO2 bath. And suffocation is one of the most cruel killing methods of all.
    Blimey. Over here it's usually electrocution (I believe), which is pretty instant.

This is industrial meat production pretty much all over the world. Whaling seems humanist in comparison imo.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last