Would you try anything once? Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• thelzdking 18 Jun 2013 16:45:03 4,367 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've been told that it's like blancmange.
  • WiseGuy 18 Jun 2013 16:45:47 149 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hard to describe: spongy and a bit moist comes to mind. As for taste, I can't really remember as the minute I felt the texture my mind was set really that it was awful so I just got it down.

With this dish I also had heart and tongue which were both really good. Tongue was like a thick and tasty bit of bacon.
  • quadfather 18 Jun 2013 16:47:30 12,121 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    /shudder

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• CosmicFuzz 18 Jun 2013 16:49:21 24,241 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm too cheap to order something like that. If I've paid loads for it and I don't eat it and have to buy something else I'd be annoyed.

That, or force myself to eat it.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• kalel 18 Jun 2013 16:51:26 87,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had "crispy pig's face" in a restaurant recently. Sounded too awesome not to try.

Turned out to be much tamer than it sounded. Was just some sort of bacony meat (probably cheek) mashed up and deep fried in breadcrumbs. Was yum though.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Jun 2013 16:54:59 44,168 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My supermarket does Head Cheese. Very gelatinous sausage, like the inside of a pork pie but moreso, with bits of pork face meat in it.

Not my favourite thing in the world.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• WiseGuy 18 Jun 2013 16:57:17 149 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Truth be told I didn't know what it entailed when I ordered it (was referred to in French). The waiter explained and, being totally honest, I didn't change my order to save face. I hoped that I wouldn't be able to tell what was what when it came, however, it was presented with each individual constituent part separated out on the plate. For the avoidance of doubt the waiter also helpfully talked me through the dish as well :)
  • LeoliansBro 18 Jun 2013 17:00:56 44,168 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Re brains: are we talking pate or something more spongy? And what was the flavour like (I always imagine it'd be slightly sweet).

Ta

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 18 Jun 2013 17:04:19 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Initial thought on reading the thread title for a good portion of people, i'm guessing, is 'gay'.

Only just noticed it's in the food section.
  • WiseGuy 18 Jun 2013 17:10:42 149 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No it wasn't pate, it was spongy and chewey and looked like brains look ( even without being told you would recognise it)

The taste was probably unremarkable with most of my disgust coming from the look and feel. More like fish than meat though I thought.
  • ronuds 18 Jun 2013 17:20:28 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are different parts of the brain better/worse tasting than others? You'd think the cerebellum would be more tender than the frontal lobe, for example.
  • twelveways 18 Jun 2013 17:28:47 4,003 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You get brains at hotpot restaurants here in China (Hotpot is a big dish full of boiling soup that you add your own meat & veg to).

It's kind of weird seeing a big plate of individual brains (I assume they are pig, about the size of a fist, maybe a bit bigger).

When I first came over here I used to try pretty much everything that looked weird. I had dog (yummy), snake (bony), a ducks head (horrible, hardly any meat), fried scorpions (spicy), sheep dick (chewy), monkey (ok but I wish they didn't leave the hands intact) and fertilised chickens eggs that they roast just before they hatch (eggy and beaky). The brains were the most difficult, I only managed a nibble. Weird pate like texture and a kind of creamy taste that is hard to get rid of. I won't try it again.
  • Zizoo 18 Jun 2013 17:29:04 8,374 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Initial thought on reading the thread title for a good portion of people, i'm guessing, is 'gay'.

Only just noticed it's in the food section.
    Goodness me.

Ok, could a mod please amend the title to include the word food?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 18 Jun 2013 17:31:39 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    sorry. my piss poor attention span :)
  • twelveways 18 Jun 2013 17:32:09 4,003 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just read WiseGuy's reply, maybe pate isn't the best description but it is what came to mind when I had it. Kind of like a cooked kidney crossed with sausage meat (the texture not the flavour), although maybe it varies depending on how it is cooked, mine was boiling in soup for ages.
  • Shikasama 18 Jun 2013 17:33:36 6,828 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    When I first came over here I used to try pretty much everything that looked weird. I had dog (yummy), snake (bony), a ducks head (horrible, hardly any meat), fried scorpions (spicy), sheep dick (chewy), monkey (ok but I wish they didn't leave the hands intact) and fertilised chickens eggs that they roast just before they hatch (eggy and beaky). The brains were the most difficult, I only managed a nibble. Weird pate like texture and a kind of creamy taste that is hard to get rid of. I won't try it again.
    What the fuck did I just read
  • twelveways 18 Jun 2013 17:33:59 4,003 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @bitch_tits_zero_nine

You can talk about your first gay experience if you like. My first thought was doing stuff like bungee jumping. Each to their own I guess... ;)
  • Humperfunk 18 Jun 2013 17:35:15 2,238 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I had octopus tentacle or something a few weeks ago, was part of a starter that was being shared around the table and thought "why not?" Was literally one of the worst things I've ever eaten.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• mrpon 18 Jun 2013 17:35:50 28,893 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I want brains to taste like my Mums dumplings.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• kalel 18 Jun 2013 17:35:58 87,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Octopus is delicious you heathen! Nice and fresh with a little paprika. Amazing.
  • twelveways 18 Jun 2013 17:38:45 4,003 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im a complete pussy when it comes to seafood, I can' even 'undress' a prawn.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 18 Jun 2013 17:39:37 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    lol. Yeah you're right. That post says more about me than OP
  • Deckard1 18 Jun 2013 17:41:41 27,981 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought octopus was pretty vile. More down to the texture than anything. Plus octopuses are kind of awesome. Love squid though.
  • ronuds 18 Jun 2013 17:44:49 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had octopus as well. Very rubbery from what I remember.
  • kalel 18 Jun 2013 17:46:52 87,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If the octopus was rubbery it was cooked badly. It's like squid or scallops. It should almost melt in the mouth,
  • Deckard1 18 Jun 2013 17:51:18 27,981 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah it was too melt in the the mouth for me. Like eating a big slug. This was a big ass tentacle I had the last time though. I've had octopus rings before and they were nice.
  • AccidentProne 18 Jun 2013 17:51:43 1,163 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    On holiday in Greece last year, the nice folks that owned the apartments we were staying in took us for a day at the beach. They told us they'd be providing lunch too.

This turned out to be whatever they could find in the sea. Sampled various shellfish type things which were mostly still alive I guess. Pretty gross and didn't taste all that great, one was really grim and just tasted of weird chemicals!

Worst though was when one chap came back with an octopus he'd caught. His mum then took it and started battering the poor thing on the rocks, to tenderise it or something. Once it was properly dead / tender / whatever, they started ripping off the tentacles and eating them raw. Normally I love octopus but didn't fancy it uncooked. Was getting flashbacks to Oldboy. Annoyed I wussed out now, but apparently didn't taste all that great anyway.
  • ronuds 18 Jun 2013 17:53:02 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I suppose it was the texture of over-cooked squid. Guess it was badly cooked then.

Still, I have no desire to try it again.
  • DaM 18 Jun 2013 17:55:02 13,139 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had all sorts in China too - most of it just bony - snake, turtle, river snails, the duck's head (as guest of honour!).

The only thing barely edible was a fermented tofu sauce on fish - looked and smelled like diarrhea. Most of the Chinese at the table ate less than I did.
  • DaM 18 Jun 2013 17:56:10 13,139 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    I had all sorts in China too - most of it just bony - snake, turtle, river snails, the duck's head (as guest of honour!).

The only thing barely edible was a fermented tofu sauce on fish - looked and smelled like diarrhea. Most of the Chinese at the table ate less than I did.
    Oh an sea urchin in Greece, just out the sea - like salty snot. I can't see the point of most seafood....not worth the effort.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last