PS4/PS+ To Be 'Always On'

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • CybaRJ 16 Jun 2013 20:20:48 55 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Right, let me get this upfront, I'm an X360 owner. Like many X360 owners I'm seriously considering a move to PS4 after the used game debacle, but I'd like a bit more information on the console before I make a (relatively) big decision. Owning both isn't financially feasible and tbh, I don't really fancy giving Microsoft my business. So I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind.

Sony is to put multiplayer, automatic system and game updates behind the PS+ pay wall. That's shocking by the way. Cloud saves and auto-updates should be free for all. Source: Sony E3 conference. If it's going to be updating the system and games in the background doesn't that mean the PS4 will need to be in some sort of low-power mode all the time? MS have already stated what privacy controls Kinect will have, have Sony said anything said anything about theirs and PS+?

Regarding Gaikai, all I remember from the Sony E3 conference was it wasn't launching in the US till 2014 and the ROTW would follow (probably when they've sorted out licences and servers). Have they said anything about Gaikai DRM? Will you be able share or give digital games to friends like the Xbone?

I'd really appreciate some honest answers and try and keep the fanboy-cockery down to a minimum.

Thanks.

Edited by CybaRJ at 20:21:59 16-06-2013

Edited by CybaRJ at 20:24:34 16-06-2013
  • nickthegun 16 Jun 2013 20:22:07 60,509 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are 4 billion pages (approx) of information about the two consoles on the internet. Happy reading.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Benno 16 Jun 2013 20:32:13 10,049 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Who doesn't have PS+? Its the best thing about playstation
  • Triggerhappytel 16 Jun 2013 20:32:15 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PS+ will only do automatic updates at a specific time you decide (middle of the night for me), and only if it's in standby as opposed to physically switched off. You don't even have to opt in if your concerned about privacy when the console decides to switch itself on at night.

Regarding Gaikai, I don't think they've announced any kind of game sharing with friends or family, but I wouldn't necessarily expect something similar. I'm still waiting to see what the catch is regarding the Xbox One Family Plan, because it seems too generous knowing MS. I don't see how offering such a good deal is any better than piracy?
  • Syrette 16 Jun 2013 20:33:44 43,783 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This thread is now about bad logos:

• Syrette 16 Jun 2013 20:35:59 43,783 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What's wrong with being turned on all the time by the way?

• PazJohnMitch 16 Jun 2013 23:11:45 8,349 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    What's wrong with being turned on all the time by the way?
    The Xbox One is like a teenage boy!
  • Razz 16 Jun 2013 23:36:28 61,400 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That was supposed to end after my teens? Shit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• CybaRJ 17 Jun 2013 08:14:50 55 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Syrette it just strikes me that the PS4 won't be all that different to the Xbone when it comes to needing a 'always on' connection.

At first I thought the only console to have The Power Of The Cloud(tm) was the Xbone. Meaning that only 1st party games will use it and multiplat games won't use it. But with Sony saying they do have the cloud to offload processes and encouraging devs to do so, it increases the chances of multiplat CoD (for example) needing an online connection to play. That's a bit of a deal breaker for me as I can can't always guarantee a stable connection.
  • Deleted user 17 June 2013 08:19:46
    Can we just murder the next fuckwit that makes yet another thread about this incredibly tedious subject?
  • PazJohnMitch 17 Jun 2013 08:20:50 8,349 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought PS4 is improved by been connected (like PS3 and 360) but it is not required.

X1 has to be connected once every 24 hours.
  • Sharzam 17 Jun 2013 08:27:29 3,032 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The always online thing is regarding the 24hr check.

The x1 needs to check every day where as the PS4 will still play games with no Internet, but of course some games will need online due to very nature. To get the best out of both you will need a constant Internet, but with ps4 it won't magically stop working if it can't connect.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• bodhi85uk 17 Jun 2013 22:03:23 179 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is a Digital Foundry article on how all this "infinite cloud power" bullshit is smoke and mirrors. Sony only said " yeah we can do cloud computing too" because so many fuckwits were falling for it and didn't want it counting against them, like there was some inherent hardware deficiency with the PS4

Anyway, if you don't get PS+, it won't update in the background, boo fucking hoo. Who cares. Buy PS+, and it will, plus you'll get shitloads of free games. You've likely already been paying for XBL Gold for years and not batted an eyelid at how comparably poor value it is.

Edited by bodhi85uk at 22:04:07 17-06-2013
  • Aretak 17 Jun 2013 22:06:41 10,367 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CybaRJ wrote:
    Sony is to put multiplayer, automatic system and game updates behind the PS+ pay wall. That's shocking by the way. Cloud saves and auto-updates should be free for all.
    "If you choose not to subscribe we are still gating relatively little in many senses, so access to online catch-up TV and online movie services sit outside of the gate, for example. The social features of PS4 and PS4 games sit out of the subscription service... things like auto-updates on PS4 sit outside of PlayStation Plus, so we're trying to be as balanced and as fair as we possibly can. If you choose to pay the subscription, yes, you get one important element of modern-day gameplay, but you also get fantastic value in games, including the PlayStation Plus Edition of DriveClub."

Auto-update functionality had previously only been available to PS Plus subscribers on PS3, and though it isn't yet clear what Gara means by PS4's "social features", it's possible he could be referring to the console's broadcasting and video upload features.
    http://www.videogamer.com/news/sony_details_ps4_playstation_plus_changes.html
  • drip 17 Jun 2013 22:12:33 4,313 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
  • andijames 17 Jun 2013 22:13:09 2,806 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

:D Love it!

Trust it to be from Geordie land too. Why does it remind me of cilit bang? Which i still read as clit bang everytime i see it.

Edited by andijames at 22:13:53 17-06-2013

vivir el momento

• OptimusPube 17 Jun 2013 22:24:47 3,148 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• Whizzo 17 Jun 2013 22:35:16 43,197 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sorry no bad logo from me but something that threads like this, started by people who have been here five minutes just make me think of this:

This space left intentionally blank.

• drip 17 Jun 2013 22:40:54 4,313 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    More win than fail, actually

• Khanivor 17 Jun 2013 22:45:13 40,951 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CybaRJ's ride.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next