System shutting down during games Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • spamdangled 17 Jul 2013 00:00:52 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Give it plenty of ventilation, maybe chuck an extra fan in or something. Systems with integrated GPUs aren't exactly designed for gaming and you could simply be putting your system under a hell of a lot of stress by using it for a purpose the components simply aren't designed for, with the heatwave tipping it over the edge.

As a comparison (and not a brag in any way), my system is well ventilated with decent fans and a lot of grilles in the case, and is kept in an open space where air has plenty of room to circulate. In its current position, temperatures rarely exceed 35 celsius even in current weather. In its old place, where it was underneath a desk in a home office, it would regularly reach 60+ celsius.

Never underestimate the impact that positioning can have on heat distribution.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Aretak 17 Jul 2013 00:10:45 10,350 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Systems with integrated GPUs aren't exactly designed for gaming and you could simply be putting your system under a hell of a lot of stress by using it for a purpose the components simply aren't designed for, with the heatwave tipping it over the edge.
    In fairness, the AMD APUs are definetly designed for gaming, and are pretty much entirely sold on the premise of being able to offer respectable performance without the need for a discrete GPU. The A10-5800K offers performance on par with a 6670, and you can even Crossfire it with the discrete version of that card for better results.

Edited by Aretak at 00:11:06 17-07-2013
  • RedSparrows 17 Jul 2013 00:12:38 22,220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, the GPU is actually quite nice, for a budget gamer. It runs PS2 on medium really quite well.

Just moved the PC out from its normal location - under a desk, with some cables (but fair amount of air around it) to out, free standing. Took side off to see if all well when running. Temp was 10C cooler in PS2.

Combination of weather and location, I think. Will try and find a place to put it that's better ventilated and won't anger gf with cables...
  • sanctusmortis 17 Jul 2013 08:18:31 9,627 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was going to say - 65C is about maximum for AMD chips. 75C is Intel territory, typically due to their architecture. GPUs can handle far higher temps than CPUs without issue.

I've repositioned my second case fan to suck air in at the back, as the default case fan location's right next to the CPU fan. Seems to be working a lot better than the front mount was. Jerry rigged it by removing expansion card spacers and fastening the fan to the back with cable ties.
  • RedSparrows 17 Jul 2013 09:11:21 22,220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moved it atop desk, much more space. Seems better, but still need to watch it. should be ok after the heatwave.
  • graysonavich 17 Jul 2013 09:15:30 7,320 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sounds like bitcoin farming malware is eating your GPU cycles
  • neems 17 Jul 2013 10:48:41 1,204 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can you not get a custom cooler for your cpu? You can get some decent ones pretty cheap, I've always liked the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro.
  • RedSparrows 17 Jul 2013 10:56:01 22,220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think that's what I have, actually :)

Given the thing was fine when the roads weren't melting, I think it should be alright once the sun hides again.

That or I do have malware, but my days of downloading stuff from Facebook are long gone...
  • Deleted user 17 July 2013 11:04:39
    @RedSparrows

Have you got a spare USB HDD or memory stick to install a live linux OS? If so you should be able install the AMD drivers and the steam client on linux(through WINE) and mount the windows disk from linux to run games youve already installed. If linux runs them without problem then you can eliminate all hardware issues (expect possibly the Windows boot drive) to assume it is windows/malware or a faulty primary HDD.

Edited by vizzini at 14:00:33 17-07-2013
  • Tiger_Walts 18 Jul 2013 11:28:06 16,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My GPU was reporting temperatures nearing 100 degrees C the other day (in Skyrim, of all things), to no ill effect. I was expecting a failure any moment. So either ATi cards are a little more resilient these days or the reported temp is wrong (CPUs report 39-42 at idle; <65 on load, GPU reports 58 at idle).

The SpinTires demo also seems to heat my GPU to high temps.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• graysonavich 18 Jul 2013 11:36:01 7,320 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    58c GPU idle?! o_0
  • Tiger_Walts 18 Jul 2013 12:35:16 16,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    58c GPU idle?! o_0
    Yeah, which is why I think the reported number might be incorrect.

• OptimusPube 16 Aug 2013 18:37:00 2,919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Little bump

System: Windows 7 64 bit x86, Nvidia 330m GPU.

Can anyone help, when playing games on PC after about half an hour the game minimizes to the taskbar, the game doesn't shut down just minimizes and if I click the icon it goes back to the game after a bit of a stutter, rinse and repeat, it has been doing it for a while now and is getting really annoying.

I've looked at scheduled tasks and checked for malware and viruses or any IM software but to no avail, it's a proper head scratcher.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC

• Tiger_Walts 16 Aug 2013 19:14:01 16,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As you suspect, some applications can rudely steal focus from your fullscreen game. It's not always clear which unruly process is at fault though.

The frequency of occurrence is a little worrying.

The other possibility is that part of the display system is crashing. These can be caused by GPU hardware faults but are nearly always caused by video card drivers. Often a "The display adapter has stopped responding" appears by the system tray. A lot of modern games can recover from this state, they just wait for the GPU to re-initialize. Update your drivers if necessary.

• Razer 16 Aug 2013 19:15:50 1,031 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would have thought another app running in the background is likely to be causing this. Tried closing absolutely everything you can to see if the problem persists ?

Edited by Razer at 19:17:07 16-08-2013
  • OptimusPube 16 Aug 2013 19:45:45 2,919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cheers guys, I do run games with the browser still open, I'll shut it down before playing, going to play a bit of Trine 2 co-op with my lad, see if it persists.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC

• OptimusPube 18 Aug 2013 12:01:02 2,919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've done a system restore, it was doing my head in and I maybe had a hidden virus that my software wasn't detecting, installing all my stuff again and don't these programs try to install some shit on your PC, if you don't click custom install and un-check all the shit your system would be bloated to fuck, even Winamp is guilty of it, Utorrent is one of the worst.

Well I hope it's fixed it.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC

• ZuluHero 25 Aug 2013 13:41:22 4,095 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok how can you tell if you psu has died? Just using my pc..heard a clunk and whole thing dead..kinda like when a fuse goes. Tried new cables, different socket but nothing.

Popped the case, there is no light on the main board which makes me suspect that its the psu and not something more serious, but is there anyway to diagnose this better?

Pc is basically the DFPC eg made last year with the same parts, the psu is a corsair cx430 builder series, so pretty good.

I've initiated a ticket with corsair as they have a 3 year warranty on psus, but in the meantime I wanted to try and confirm my diagnosis. Any help would be really appreciated. :)
  • OptimusPube 25 Aug 2013 13:55:30 2,919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Have you got any mates or relatives that are sparkys that could test the PSU for you with one of those electrical meters, or even better take the PSU into PC world or maybe Maplin and get them to test it for you.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC

• andytheadequate 27 Aug 2013 21:18:44 8,111 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My pc occasionally just turns itself off, even when just browsing the internet. It then starts trying to reboot for a few seconds before giving up, continuing this cycle until you unplug it.

Any ideas what is causing it? It doesn't happen often but has done it a few times in the last year now. I'm assuming it is hear related but I'd have thought it would happen when playing games if that was the only cause
  • OptimusPube 27 Aug 2013 21:32:18 2,919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It does sound heat related, maybe it's clogged up with dust or your fans aren't working properly, try downloading a program that gives you your cpu or gpu or possibly both temperature readings to see if it is above average.

Speedfan is a possibilty

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC

• andytheadequate 27 Aug 2013 21:34:34 8,111 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I took the case off and gave it a dust. It didn't seem too bad, the you was a bit dusty but that was about it.

Now it won't turn itself on at all.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next