Just got logged in automatically as another user? Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 17 June 2013 12:15:11
    @craigy Howdy. Have been logged out of my account as per the above, but I cannot seem to log back in. None of my usual passwords appear to be right.

I've tried a resend password request for every single email I can think of that I have used, and they all say no account found.

(Edit - I don't believe I am logged in through Facebook either, as when I tried that I hadn't ever given it permissions before.

I appreciate there may be a simple answer that will make me look stupid, but nothing seems to work right now)

Edited by RobTheBuilderAgain at 12:19:42 17-06-2013
  • Deleted user 17 June 2013 12:21:12
    craigy wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Apologies for the delay in responding to this thread. We've been looking into the problem and I can report the following:

- During the Microsoft E3 livetext, our servers were under considerable pressure. We had a team on hand all night to tweak server configurations to keep the site working.

- At one point a new Varnish (https://www.varnish-cache.org/about) configuration was deployed to our live servers which incorrectly supplied an authentication cookie for a single user account to all page requests. This meant several people were logged on as a single user named "BulletApe".

- This problem was quickly spotted, and a new Varnish config was deployed to stop the problem from spreading to more users.

- The issue affected any users who made page requests between 23:12 and 23:24 on 10th June. Everyone else remains unaffected.

- This morning I decided to globally invalidate all active logins to force everyone out of the single account. This means you would have been logged out earlier this morning. Sorry about that.

- The small number of users who were logged in as BulletApe had no access to his password, but could have edited his profile and posted as him.

Obviously this sort of thing should not happen, and we're reviewing our live deployment process to try and catch this sort of mistake before it happens again. If you want any more information, please feel free to ask.

Thanks, Craig
    I know it's against EG policy but maybe testing some code before vomiting it out onto here might be a good idea.
  • TarickStonefire 17 Jun 2013 12:56:04 3,332 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    I know it's against EG policy but maybe testing some code before vomiting it out onto here might be a good idea.
    Look, it's a smug internet user who's never once ever made a single mistake in his life ever at all, no siree not even one, not a single thing, clean record here mate, an absolute angel.

lol

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 17 Jun 2013 12:57:55 3,332 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    HairyArse wrote:
    I got logged in as someone else last week. Can't remember his name but it was 5 letters. BIAHB or something.
    REVAN?
    Baihu-something?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Deleted user 17 June 2013 13:06:29
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    Look, it's a smug internet user who's never once ever made a single mistake in his life ever at all, no siree not even one, not a single thing, clean record here mate, an absolute angel.

lol
    Well done for looking for an argument where there isn't one and for struggling to understand words.
  • kentmonkey 17 Jun 2013 15:41:44 20,873 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @craigy Thanks for the update, however this isn't the first time it has happened, and it doesn't sound like everyone got logged in as BulletApe.

It's happened to me twice, both times I've contacted EG about it using the contact us form, both times I've never had a reply. Once I got logged in as somebody else, but as soon as I clicked on anything, it logged me out. The other time I got logged in as a mod, I think it was Lutz but I can't remember for certain, and I could click around as them. I logged out immediately. Again I contacted EG about that, but didn't hear anything.

Someone also got logged in as me before, this was well over a year ago, but they were good enough to log out without doing anything and PMd me about it. Can't remember who again, but seem to remember the username began with G. Wasn't a 'well known' one.

Numerous times it's been posted on here as well, and it seems to be whenever the site is under stress, either due to E3 (last E3 was when one of the 'logged in as another user' happened to me) or when you've got one of those bandwidth hogging ads on the site. Could merely be a coincidence though.

Whatever's causing it, it was happening way before June 10th. Perhaps not very often, but it was still happening.

On another note, to save people worrying, why not post on the forum that you're going to be logging everyone out?
  • X201 17 Jun 2013 15:48:34 15,692 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "This meant several people were logged on as a single user named "Spartacus"."
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 17 Jun 2013 15:51:46 39,360 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @craigy A friend of mine got logged in under another username just last night. I can't remember the username, but he was able to make changes to his profile . I'll get details later if you want.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 17 June 2013 15:53:23
    I'd also definitely like to know where my account has gone!
  • Deleted user 17 June 2013 15:54:03
    Craigy hates you.
  • neilka 17 Jun 2013 15:56:53 16,464 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can we fix it?

...We'll have a look at it a week Thursday.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Deleted user 17 June 2013 16:01:31
    neilka wrote:
    Can we fix it?

...We'll have a look at it a week Thursday.
    "Hmm... It's gonna cost ya."
  • craigy Staff 17 Jun 2013 16:32:20 7,774 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RobTheBuilderAgain check your PMs!
  • craigy Staff 17 Jun 2013 16:43:46 7,774 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kentmonkey sorry if we've overlooked your emails, but I can't find a record of you contacting us via the contact form. Do you know roughly when you got in touch?
  • Dirtbox 17 Jun 2013 17:13:41 78,816 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I remember the thread in this category.

Edited by Dirtbox at 17:15:21 17-06-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• RobTheBuilder 17 Jun 2013 17:26:57 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @craigy Hurrah!!
  • kentmonkey 17 Jun 2013 19:03:57 20,873 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @craigy Blimey. Erm, last year, twice, once about this sort of time of the year, the other one I think was nearer Christmas. The one someone logged in as me was probably just before Christmas last year, and they said they'd contacted you (you being EG, not necessarily you) and I left it at that.
  • Jeepers 17 Jun 2013 19:14:16 13,239 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:

lol
    There's a reason why there's a bunch of SA processes in place for development - like test, stage, prod for one. They're to stop shit like this from happening. Everyone knows mistakes happen - which is why the smart folk mitigate against them. You clod.
  • Jeepers 17 Jun 2013 19:14:53 13,239 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did I say clod? Typo. I meant twat.
  • caligari 23 Jun 2013 13:41:21 17,180 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was trying to delete my PMs as I've used the message system to arrange quite a few 'swaps/sales' with fellow EG-ers over the past few years.

I've already deleted a huge chunk - I'm now up to messages received in 2011.

I still have 91 pages of messages to go...but Shirley this stuff should be kept for the EG Musuem currently being built by Rauper?
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Jun 2013 14:03:03 8,615 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I was logged in as riz123 or something similar straight after the preE3 press conferences.

Accidentally read 1 PM but logged out straight away.
  • Load_2.0 26 Jun 2013 17:06:26 19,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Logged out today a couple of times, now it may be on my end but good to know if it happened to anyone else?
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next