Quietest PS3 model?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 15 Jun 2013 07:27:06 7,022 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just as the next generation of shiny boxes is about to arrive I'm looking to pick up PS3 to replace my 360 to catch up on a few titles I'm itching play - Last Of Us, Journey, Ni No Kuni in particular.

I use my 360 a lot to watch Netflix, Lovefilm and Now TV and the Xbox 360 S model I've got is almost silent, are any PS3 models as quiet? If not, what's the quietest?
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Jun 2013 08:23:18 15,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a 320 slim (not super slim) and that is lovely and QT, until it reads the disc, then it is loud.
    I have had 4/5 (can't remember!) ps3's from the original fat badboy (I liked those) to my current white 320gb and they have all been very loud when rerading from the gamedisc, otherwise lovely and quiet.
    ...Just don't play MW3 onit, now that was a fucking joke, the disc reading noise, not the game... Have a look on youtube and see.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• D_arkTrooper 15 Jun 2013 08:24:46 1,350 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My 80 gig phat was very quiet. Now my 120 gig Slim is my main console and its quiet, but not as much as the other machine. Also got a first gen 120 gig Slim which is horrible as the constant whine is so off putting.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• mothercruncher 15 Jun 2013 08:34:00 7,882 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Absolutely zero experience of the other versions- 2nd gen PS3 Slim here- but Shirley the latest version is the quietest?

/horribly naive.
  • FuzzyDuck 15 Jun 2013 23:41:47 4,972 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've owned an 80Gb phat (August 2008), a 250Gb Slimline (Oct 2009) and a 320Gb Slimline (April 2011) and the 250Gb Slimline was definitely the quietest, especially at reading discs and powering down the fans.

Sony most have changed component suppliers when they went from the 120Gb/250Gb models to the 160Gb/320Gb ones as the fans in the former power down gracefully and slow down, the latter just stop abruptly; you can hear the hard drive head parking up against the edge of the unit in the latter units, not the former; most importantly the optical drive in latter units are really noisy compared to the former, especially for certain open world titles like Red Dead or Just Cause 2, my thing practically sounds like a typewriter playing one of them, and has done out of the box. My old 250Gb was lovely and quiet in that regard.
  • DrStrangelove 15 Jun 2013 23:52:46 4,678 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I did have some doubts about the latest model, because it generally looks somewhat cheap and rattly to me. I still have my original 80GB fat, which is pretty silent except for the BD drive, which can make loading a bit noisy.

Nice to hear the original Slim was best, since I also think it's the best-looking one.
  • andijames 15 Jun 2013 23:59:23 2,839 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get a slim.. they're super quiet until they get hot but to be fair whichever game pushes the CPU/GPU to it's max (the last of us example) will make any of them a little nosier. The slim can be had cheap and it's damn reliable.

vivir el momento

• chrisno21 17 Jun 2013 12:08:15 1,548 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My launch 60GB sounded like a haridryer on full meaning it couldn't be left on, to watch a bit of tele, as the noise was so bad I had to turn the amp up a good 5/6 points to make up for it. Ofcourse it then went and died on sunday, which may be part of the reason it sounded like a traction engine. I'm picking up a superslim to replace it - only just managed to get the last of us out the drive using the old hairdryer/towel trick. Hope the SSlim is at least a bit quieter.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• dominalien 17 Jun 2013 12:17:38 7,071 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My launch 60GB has become very loud lately. I'm guessing it must be really dusty inside. I think I'll open it up during the weekend to clean it out.

I'm saying this because any type of high-power device which requires constant cooling will get clogged with dust as time goes by and really should be cleaned after some years, preferably after the warranty has run out, and by someone at least a little experienced in taking electronic stuff apart.

Unless you have an "I void warranties" t-shirt from ThinkGeek, like I do. Then you can open anything, any time.

PSN: DonOsito

• chrisno21 17 Jun 2013 12:46:38 1,548 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :cry: I cared for it, I even hoovered it regularly... :eek:

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• dominalien 17 Jun 2013 12:50:43 7,071 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hoovering won't do it. Whirlpooling might, but only just. ;-)

But seriously, just like with a PC when you simply have to open it up every now and then to take the fistfuls of dust out, so should you any other device with high airflow. They don't make it easy, though, do they.

PSN: DonOsito

• Page

of 1

Previous Next