Trade in 360 for PS3 Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Deleted user 15 June 2013 21:48:38
    @Syrette

Buying any device with a HDD or control pad used is a huge mistake imo unless the saving was going to be massive (half price or better).

The excellent and new super slim 12Gb is less than £140. And he can fit his SSD drive by using a small amount of blutack (if he does want the £10 HDD caddy), why would he want a second hand ps3 when new is so cheap?
  • Deleted user 15 June 2013 22:29:34
    @DarkSapceDS

HDDs are a wearable component and don't travel well when already aged unless of highest quality (like the ones that go in thinkpads, etc). On a more general note, as HDDs have got larger and demand continues to increase(Skyboxes, consoles) the quality and life expectancy of such devices in cheap commodity devices like consoles isn't what it should be.

I suspect most people in IT will have experienced a sharp rise in HDD failures in the last five years, between domestic and/or professional use.

If you've ever worn through a few control pads each generation, you'll know that they take some serious strain even when used respectfully. At the peak of playing footy games, fighting games, Racing games and MK I was wearing through a pad about every 18months to 2 years. They are a consumable component that costs £40 to replace now. The hygiene issue is also worth thinking about when such small savings are involved.
  • OptimusPube 15 Jun 2013 22:41:05 2,909 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've never had a hard drive fail on me in 20 or so years and I've only ever had one faulty controller, well joystick and that was back in the Commodore 64 days, it wouldn't travel back to the centre it was all wobbly so from personal experience you're talking shit.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• Deleted user 15 June 2013 22:58:47
    @OptimusPube

Since windows vista/Sky+ I've probably encounter 12 fault HDDs just in domestic appliances of friends, family and my own, and even this gen I've had DS3 triggers break from fatigue and seen a friend's CoD pad always drifting to run forward. I currently alternating wear between my DS3 and six axis to avoid needing to buy a new DS3. So I think you've been lucky.
  • L0cky 15 Jun 2013 23:00:55 1,501 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @OptimusPube Tbh I want new. I've had loads of hard drives fail on me over the last 20 years or so, so I think you've been lucky :)

I haven't seen significant controller wear since the N64 days though.

With the trade in difference you'd be hard pushed to find a better deal second hand anyway (I've checked ebay).

@DarkSpaceDS
    The PS4 isn't backwards compatible so it doesn't really make a PS3 redundant if you've never had one. I want to play Journey, The Last of Us, ICO HD, Shadow of the Collosus HD, maybe the Uncharted games etc.

Also, I don't like being an early adopter any more, so I'm unlikely to get a PS4 for at least a year.

I'm bored with my Xbox, and considering the trade in difference will be really small then I think it's a good deal; and there's plenty of games I've never played to keep me going for a long time.
  • steve242526 15 Jun 2013 23:36:25 132 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @L0cky I've been the same. The PS4 sounds great but there's no way I'm going to be buying it  for at least a couple of years. I've been a gamer since the Spectrum years but I also know I've got limited time to play now days. It just feels great to have something different after six years tied to Microsoft. I admit the last week does have some bearing on it. I feel I watching Microsoft implode right in front of me !
  • FuzzyDuck 15 Jun 2013 23:51:37 3,905 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll actually agree with vizzini - how people buy used products with finite lifespans (usually for at least 80% original value) is beyond me.

I've been jammy enough with hard drives and yet to suffer a failure in 10 years of owning any device that uses one, but I've seen plenty of rechargeable batteries get cooked easily enough, lest of all the laptop I'm currently typing on.
  • L0cky 15 Jun 2013 23:51:58 1,501 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @steve242526
    Yeah, the last week is what got me thinking about it too. I don't have much time to play any more either, and I realised I haven't turned the xbox on in months.

These days I play short turns on PC between work, but it'd be nice to relax and have a quick sesh on the couch again.
  • bobdebob 16 Jun 2013 00:26:11 549 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • andijames 16 Jun 2013 01:00:40 2,694 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's some good offers at the moment in Grainger if you take it in. Depends on what you want thou if you want a PS3 the 360's are selling around £99 so you'll get £50 plus your games.

vivir el momento

• PenguinJim 16 Jun 2013 05:52:32 5,758 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I saw this on HUKD today: 500GB PS3 Super Slim, £159 delivered. If you're looking at the £140 12GB (and have, say, a 128GB SSD ready to throw into it), this gives you a £19 2.5" 500GB HD which you can just throw into an enclosure and use as an external drive. ^^

vizzini wrote:
    The excellent and new super slim 12Gb is less than £140.
    Excellent? EXCELLENT?! o_O Well, that's one opinion. Here are some more from people who have actually used one. The kindest thing to say seems to be that it's a PS3 and "it works". :p
  • Deleted user 16 June 2013 09:58:56
    @PenguinJim

I've used every model except the sub 65nm RSX slim editions (320/500gb); which my friend tells me his is very quiet. We bought a brand new 12gb for the in-laws last Christmas for about £120, which I setup and used over Christmas, and my other friend bought one to replace his second hand 80gb phat. They are quiet on their belly in a plinth or under a tv stand glass shelf. Watching DVD has a little more noise out in the open, but overall they are excellent for the price.
  • PenguinJim 16 Jun 2013 10:54:24 5,758 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You should probably update that thread I linked to, then. A lot of wrong people in there. It would help people browsing EG to make a more informed decision, too. :)
  • dominalien 16 Jun 2013 10:59:51 6,836 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here. The Super Slim is fine. It's not as high quality as the fat or the slim, but it's quiet and it works. What more do you need?

Edit: it's also quite small.

Edited by dominalien at 11:01:17 16-06-2013

PSN: DonOsito

• PenguinJim 16 Jun 2013 11:05:25 5,758 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't mean it would help people make a more informed decision about the Super Slim. I meant it would help people make a more informed decision about viz.
  • dominalien 16 Jun 2013 11:10:55 6,836 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh.

Don't you need like, 7 seconds and half of one of his sentences to do that? :-)

• PenguinJim 16 Jun 2013 11:17:11 5,758 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolutely! So let's get his sentences into every EG thread! \o/
  • steve242526 16 Jun 2013 14:22:32 132 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @L0cky That was another reason. This may sound stupid, but I traded in over 30 games and now I'm sitting with just 4. But because I had so many plus my downloaded digital purchases, I could never settle playing them. I'd play them for 10 mins and want to change it to something else. Now I've only got these few at the minute, I'm going to spend more quality time with each one. Just been playing Uncharted 2 for over an hour and I can't remember the last time I did that.
  • steve242526 16 Jun 2013 14:26:17 132 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just a quickie question regarding the PS3. Do you HAVE to install the games, or can you just play from the disc ? I was always under the impression you did, but the staff in GAME told me you didn't have to. But as I started the games I bought, they installed anyway. LittleBigPlanet 2 seemed quite a big install. It's not actually a problem because I think the 160GB should be fine but was wondering if there was on option or something.
  • Trafford 16 Jun 2013 14:36:59 5,624 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It varies, some games do, some don't.
    Some do it on the sly.
  • PhoenixFlames 18 Jun 2013 13:48:51 8,899 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm picking up a PS3 (again!) today. Getting a 160GB for £100, which I thought was OK.

I'm glad about getting it back, it's good for TV catch up, Blu Ray and film rentals as well as gaming. 360 needs a Gold sub to get 4OD and the like. That's a joke.

That's means I have a 360 for sale...over to the for sale thread I goes...!

PSN - phoenix1flames

• thefilthandthefury 18 Jun 2013 15:36:19 24,952 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the hunt for a PS3 myself, to hoover up some games I've missed out on while being solely with the 360. Having a proper nightmare finding one for a decent price though. I'm looking at spending no more than £100 really, but I keep getting outbid at the very last second on eBay. Six in a bloody row!

EDIT: had a stroke of luck and picked one up for £67!

Edited by thefilthandthefury at 19:02:01 18-06-2013
  • L0cky 18 Jun 2013 16:19:47 1,501 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Traded it yesterday. I picked up two games that are free on PS+, which I also bought a sub for. Oops. Guess I'll be refunding those for something else then.

The controller (sixaxis) is weird, mostly it'll take some getting used to but the triggers are a definite wtf. Did they say they fixed them for PS4? I see they extended the arms a bit, and it's well needed.

Other than that, I'm enjoying Journey and have a new collection of interesting games to play \o/
  • kosigan 18 Jun 2013 16:41:54 458 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @L0cky - you get get clip-on triggers for the L2/R2 buttons, like these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORB-Controller-Triggers-X-2/dp/B000N3RBPQ/
    I use them on mine, definitely an improvement.
  • northernlights 18 Jun 2013 22:45:26 648 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really want a ps3 at the moment have been purely xbox this entire gen. But can't justify paying game £200 for a six year old console and uneasy about buying second hand consoles.
  • dominalien 18 Jun 2013 22:47:40 6,836 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Then don't. They're cheaper elsewhere.

• sanctusmortis 18 Jun 2013 22:58:29 9,627 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The 2nd generation ones (slim, not sliding top) are supposed to be the most solid consoles around. Getting a 2nd hand one of them shouldn't cause any issues, and you have a warranty on sale anyhow. IIRC, the CEX guarantee is a year on all second hand hardware, and I suspect that is because that's the law.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last