of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Baihu1983 13 Jun 2013 17:37:49 3,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
  • Psychotext 13 Jun 2013 17:58:49 53,855 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If that was really running in engine then it looked really good... but who knows.
  • King_Edward 13 Jun 2013 18:06:19 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In engine is marketing speak for 'on PC'. Looks very pretty.
  • ronuds 13 Jun 2013 18:10:22 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In-engine means next to nothing, imo.

Do you have to worry about the tv part to play the game part? I just want to play the game (wah!).
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Jun 2013 18:29:57 23,362 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In engine surely means what the final product will look like?

Can video games be a force for good? My latest article says yes!

• CosmicFuzz 13 Jun 2013 18:30:22 23,362 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As in, when your playing it. Not cutscenes

Can video games be a force for good? My latest article says yes!

• Psychotext 13 Jun 2013 18:32:07 53,855 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In this case, for the cutscene, probably yes. In the case of something like a racing game, no.
  • Razz 13 Jun 2013 19:59:01 60,789 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    in engine ≠ on hardware

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• ronuds 13 Jun 2013 20:13:02 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this going to be on PC?

If not, then I think we can assume that no matter if it's running on an xbox or PC, it will stay the same. Why in-engine means nothing to me is because the engine is only rendering graphics, rather than that, plus all the other taxing things it will have to do during gameplay.
  • Progguitarist 13 Jun 2013 20:18:13 10,401 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are there any details about the actual game? 3rd person shooter? Alan Wake style gameplay?
  • Psychotext 13 Jun 2013 20:19:35 53,855 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's third person, not sure of the gameplay style though.
  • Baihu1983 13 Jun 2013 21:15:55 3,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In game graphics not CGI.
    3rd person action shooter
    Multiple characters
    Play as the bad guy in some parts
    Branching paths
    Time manipulation powers
    Social aspects
    TV series ships with the game but you don't have to watch it.
  • morriss 13 Jun 2013 22:12:54 70,911 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    People want new ideas. Here's one.
  • ronuds 13 Jun 2013 22:16:04 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    TV series ships with the game but you don't have to watch it.
    Woohoo!

99% chance the tv part is terrible anyway.
  • Widge Moderator 14 Jun 2013 13:38:52 13,270 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    in engine ≠ on hardware
    Yeah, the 1884 video had the same disclaimer. I don't believe these will look as shinyawesome as their videos. Especially when you see something like Witcher 3 actual screenshots up and they don't look as good, which will no doubt be a graphical leader for its part. I mean they look more fleshed out than something like Metro2033, and that is a meaty bastard game.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Progguitarist 14 Jun 2013 13:46:10 10,401 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair though, The Witcher is open world.
  • Widge Moderator 14 Jun 2013 13:47:37 13,270 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah yes, I forgot about that. Still, I'd be impressed if those titles come out looking like their E3 trailers.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• beastmaster 14 Jun 2013 13:51:44 11,199 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At least they've tried to do something a bit different. It doesn't seem like most other generic games at first galnce.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Baihu1983 15 Jun 2013 21:08:11 3,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/4427698/quantum-break-xbox-one

:D
  • Baihu1983 9 Jul 2013 17:41:56 3,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    [B]Remedy's Quantum Break manipulates time and multimedia[/B]

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/09/quantum-break-preview-xbox-one/
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 10 Jul 2013 11:47:18 1,896 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Okay, those two articles have got me REALLY excited for Quantum Break now. Is this a confirmed launch title? Or is it in the "launch window"?

I'm not planning on getting an Xbox One till early next year so don't mind if it doesn't come out till March or something.
  • Baihu1983 10 Jul 2013 12:04:42 3,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No date yet. One of the pics they released had a 2015 banner in it but I really hope we don't have to wait that long but the game was still in Pre production at E3.
  • King_Edward 10 Jul 2013 12:59:10 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought it was episodic? So it could start next year and run until 2015.

Edited by King_Edward at 12:59:23 10-07-2013
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 10 Jul 2013 13:08:07 1,896 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So out of interest how many of the games show at E3 actually were launch titles? Ryse, Forza... what else?

Edit: I mean exclusives (or sorta-exclusives like Titanfall).

Edited by Britesparc at 13:08:29 10-07-2013
  • Baihu1983 10 Jul 2013 13:09:28 3,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I thought it was episodic? So it could start next year and run until 2015.
    Probably as episodic as AW was? They might have plans for DLC but they are shipping on a disc as they have confirmed the live action show ships with it.
  • Baihu1983 8 Aug 2013 16:24:25 3,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    [QUOTE][B]Where did the idea for Quantum Break come from?[/B]

When we began talking to Remedy about Xbox One, we started to talk about things that we were really focused on as a platform holder - immersion, using the full breadth of the platform, connecting to users, what we're trying to do in television. And if you know anything about Remedy, storytelling is in its DNA.

And one of its challenges is, how does that artform of storytelling actually get to the masses? Because how many people got to the end of Alan Wake? Of course I hope everybody did, but not everybody did. How many people even looked at something like Max Payne, which from 30,000 feet is a cop shooter game, and realised there's a strong story underneath it?

So Remedy had this idea around live action and games coming together. Not like Forward Unto Dawn, which basically previewed one of the characters in Halo 4, but actually putting these things side by side and having them interact with one another. Where choices you make in the game can actually impact the television show and the television show will actually change over time based on choices people make in the game.

There are some production challenges there, in how you think about timelines and how you produce content, but this is what we've been working on. We're early, this isn't a day one game, but we're in production, so we're in a phase where we can say we believe in this, we have a mechanic that can really work.

[B]So how does it work, then? What do you do in the game?[/B]

The mechanic revolves around time, and people who can stop time. The technical capability that we have with the platform really starts to shine here. If I'm playing, say, Halo, and all of a sudden the letterbox comes in to restrict the screen, I can set the controller down because I get this set-piece that plays out that I don't interact with.

We do that because we want you to pay attention to the story, but also because we're using all the horsepower of the platform to render what you see. We're turning off the AI, we're turning off any level of control or animation for characters that you don't see, we're purging memory. Then when we letterbox out we load the game engine back in and you play it.

In Xbox One you can interact with those set-pieces directly, and play in them. This isn't just that the scenes are more graphic. In the gameplay segment, there's the huge tanker hitting the bridge, you see the little warp effect which is the players actually impacting time. And they freeze the tanker halfway through ramming through this bridge. And that bridge scene, as its going on, you're actually playing in that bridge scene. Because we have the RAM, the GPU, CPU capability, we can take something that used to be completely passive and allow you to play through that scene.

The enemy AI, the enemy pathing, all of those will actually take place while that gameplay is frozen in time. And you can freeze that at any point; right at the beginning when the tanker hits the bridge, after it's torn all the way through, so it puts you in complete control of these huge set-pieces that turn into something that you get to play with.

[B]How does it split between the game and the TV show?[/B]

The soul behind creating - I hate to use 'trans-media', let's just say the live action and the game - we understand that certain people just want the live-action part. Other people might want to play. Our end-goal is that you're doing both, and those two things interact with one another.

So our goal isn't that we've fully cut 14 episodes of a television show that runs while we release the game, but actually that these two paths intertwine where as a gamer I'll make decisions that will impact how the TV show plays out and vice versa. We want to add some level of interactivity to the live-action which feeds actually how we progress the game.

[B]I can see how the game would affect the show, but not the other way round.[/B]

Yeah, because today, television is one-way. So ignore this game for a second, let me just talk about where I think TV is going to go. The reason we're investing in TV is that over the last ten years we've seen how games change when they're connected to the internet.

It wasn't just multiplayer games - we were all playing Quake before the Xbox came out so we knew what multiplayer games looked like. Friends; we knew it was cool to play with people we know. But now I knew what my friends were doing. We added Achievements. Games now are actually services unto themselves, like League of Legends on PC. Television, even without this game, will be more interactive.

That is where the television community is pushing already, and our LA studio is right at the centre of that. What you're going to see in this game is, you're going to have choice in what happens in the video on the television. Let's just make up an example - I'm not going to say this is in the game - but you get to a branching point in the game or in the video where someone has a choice about which direction to go, like the old interactive books.

Think about some kind of branching mechanic that you actually put into the video itself that allows the community to vote on how the video moves forward. And then the game would reflect the decision that was made in the television show itself. Is this the character that lived, or is this the character that lived? You're going to see more interaction in television like that all out.[/QUOTE]

http://www.oxm.co.uk/59991/features/xbox-one-exclusives-phil-spencer-talks-assembling-microsofts-biggest-line-up-ever/?page=3
  • Baihu1983 18 Oct 2013 17:30:36 3,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/quantum-break-622524/new-quantum-break-gif-and-concept-art-1456309/
  • Ror1984 18 Oct 2013 17:54:20 2,853 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm really looking forward to finding out more about this.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• DaM 18 Oct 2013 17:55:33 12,905 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was getting confused with Quantum Leap :(
  • altitude2k 18 Oct 2013 18:18:31 3,856 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    I was getting confused with Quantum Leap :(
    Are you also disappointed when you remember it's not? I am.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous