Registered 10 years ago
    The EG Spoiler podcast is pretty good by the way

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-20-the-last-of-us-spoilercast

Edited by smoothpete at 11:27:58 20-06-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Jun 2013 12:41:06 16,840 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    @neilka I took out the first doctor with little thought, hesitated over the second (but did bash him against the wall) and left the cowering third doctor alone.

I actually think it was more believable that he would act like that, his whole world at that point revolved around Ellie (with Sarah a distant memory, Tess recently deceased and not knowing if he'll get back to his brother ever again) and saving her, so it's more believable that he would storm his way in and wipe out any threats to her, or him saving her.

Don't forget we know he's a killer (from his past, and our own experiences with him) so for him to suddenly become overly concerned about those doctors lives at this point for me would be less believable.
    Interesting, I left them alone and equally it's plausible to suggest that Joel would want to get out as fast as possible so taking the time to kill the other people would be an unnecessary delay.

You are a factory of sadness.

• imamazed 20 Jun 2013 12:43:26 5,520 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can you actually leave the main doctor alone?! The one who prevents you from getting any closer with a knife. I walked around for a while and it seemed to be going nowehere without me killing him so I just killed him
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Jun 2013 13:00:12 16,840 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry, I was unclear, you have to kill the surgeon and I stabbed him in the neck with the scalpel much like Pete did but you don't have to kill the others.

There is an interesting parallel with the C4 show Utopia where the question is whether you make a decision for the greater good or whether the personal relationship is the more important one. In Utopia I had more of a leaning towards the 'thinning of the herd' mentality but in this I think I side more with Joel's decision. As is rightly pointed out in this thread, she will be able to biologically foster the immunity where as killing the only hope with the assumption that a retrovirus will even work is actually a more dangerous principle, in some ways. It's like a one time deal and if they fuck it up then it's all over.

Such a fascinating ending too, I'm not quite sure about whether she believes him or not. I love an ambiguous ending! :-)

I was also sure that Joel would die at some point and I was so pleased to see them not take that route as I think it would have been a worse ending for it - it would have lacked the ambiguity.

The giraffe scene was epic, I loved that, especially as you open the door and that whole conversation. I also felt quite emotional at several points throughout but that one especially. Oh and the lift at the end with the music. Amazing.

Not forgetting the two brothers, who's names escape me, that story was excellent, they're sort of justified in running away and it was hard to not feel sympathy with them and the way that ended was quite affecting.

Who else felt ace taking down that humvee, I had quite a funny situation with that where a bug caused them not to start throwing the molotovs and my PS3 crashed. It was weird though, I spent about five minutes shooting at it hoping I was supposed to shoot inside the vehicle and then it crashed.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. It makes Bioshock Infinite look stale and lacking in maturity and polish and considering that is one of the best games preceding this then that says it all.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 13:04:37 20-06-2013

• SFD 20 Jun 2013 13:05:16 481 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well said, totally agree.
  • ZuluHero 20 Jun 2013 13:07:13 4,019 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was talking to my friend who works in GAME and he says the first load of DLC picks up where the game left of.
  • DUFFMAN5 20 Jun 2013 13:21:00 14,393 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Was talking to my friend who works in GAME and he says the first load of DLC picks up where the game left of.
    Are we getting dlc then ? I didn't know that.
    Started my NG+ Cowboy filter earlier

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Humperfunk 20 Jun 2013 13:26:01 1,923 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Interesting...Naughty Dog themselves have said that Joel and Ellie's story is over and won't be getting DLC or a sequel...

edit: annoyingly I can't find where I read that.

Edited by Humperfunk at 13:28:12 20-06-2013

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• ZuluHero 20 Jun 2013 13:31:52 4,019 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    yeah - this is GAME remember - they're really pushing the Season Pass stuff - which apparently has some 'single-player story content' included in upcoming months.

It might be all be gumpf. I wouldn't put it past game to promise something like that to make a sale.

Edited by ZuluHero at 13:32:49 20-06-2013
  • Humperfunk 20 Jun 2013 13:33:21 1,923 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah sounds about right mate :)

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• ZuluHero 20 Jun 2013 13:36:38 4,019 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    interestingly though, from our very own EG:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-29-the-last-of-us-season-pass-and-dlc-detailed

The Last of Us' Season Pass has been detailed and will contain one piece of story DLC and two packs of multiplayer DLC.
    Hmm..
  • CharlieStCloud 20 Jun 2013 13:45:01 5,048 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It might be a long shot, but won't it be great if we played through through the eyes of another character we identified by reading the letters and notes, or those we listened to on a voice recorder?

... like Ish!

\o/
  • imamazed 20 Jun 2013 14:02:32 5,520 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd bloody love it to involve ish.

The lovable bastard.
  • ZuluHero 20 Jun 2013 14:09:20 4,019 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It could be a bit of Sam and Henry's story before meeting Ellie and Joel?
  • CharlieStCloud 20 Jun 2013 14:10:06 5,048 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    I'd bloody love it to involve ish.

The lovable bastard.
    I love him more than you.

I would protect him from everybody in the whole world.

... and eat marshmallows by the campfire every night, singing nostalgic songs of yesteryear.
  • shamblemonkee 20 Jun 2013 14:19:55 14,257 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished this last night. I liked the that suckerpunch of an ending.

I'd spent pretty much the latter half of the game thinking it was leading up to Joel sacrificing himself for Ellie in some way - a redemption for him of ensuring a foster daughter, of sorts got to have a life that was taken away from his actual daughter whilst also providing him with peace and release.

I think that the way it actually did end is much better as it's clear why Joel made those choices but also makes it diffcult to reconcile totally. that sort of depth to an ending should be appluaded.

I really hope that ND leave it there this was a superb parting shot game for the PS3 from them and should be left as is. The wirting was superb all the way through.

As for the gameplay, i would have preferred a few more platform puzzles, navigation felt quite flat despite the more open areas.

Melee combat felt very physical and visceral, very well done. Gunplay was ok but stil felt a bit loose in the same way as uncharted did.

I found a few bugs in my playthrough, one extremely minor the other fairly severe. the more sever was an open window that you could climb through but once you were in it you got stuck and the game then kills you rather than warp you out as most others do when stuck.

All in all though the level of polish and attention to detail throughout was stunning.

poor Ish.
  • imamazed 20 Jun 2013 14:22:25 5,520 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like to think Ish is immune
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Jun 2013 14:23:29 16,840 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm pretty sure I must have missed some of the Ish stuff, I can't really recall his story that well. I guess I'll have to have a better rummage on NG+.

• imamazed 20 Jun 2013 14:24:46 5,520 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haha, I'm over selling it. There's about 4 notes he penned I believe; the rest is conjecture.

He kinda reminds me of the scratchy guy from Resident Evil 1
  • CharlieStCloud 20 Jun 2013 14:28:12 5,048 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Haha, I'm over selling it.
    There is no such thing as 'overselling' Ish.

He is the TRUE star of this story!
  • Fat_Pigeon 20 Jun 2013 14:37:47 9,796 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I did like the Ish notes, you never find out what happened to him in the end do you? last you hear is he got out and marked the exit 'Infected Zone' (unless i missed some notes) it would make a nice bit of DLC.
  • ZuluHero 20 Jun 2013 14:50:09 4,019 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    like I said earlier, when you're attacked shortly after finding that note, I initially thought it was what was left of Ish's group attacking you, not the hunters from the city.
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Jun 2013 15:36:00 16,840 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That might well be a fair assumption but then the other lot appear with the humvee so that sort of colours our assumptions. It's hard to tell.

• Aphexman 20 Jun 2013 15:45:58 16 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How many single player campaign dlc expansions is confirmed?
  • ZuluHero 20 Jun 2013 16:27:57 4,019 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    That might well be a fair assumption but then the other lot appear with the humvee so that sort of colours our assumptions. It's hard to tell.
    Yeah, once you're fighting the hunters and that bloody thing turns up it pretty much confirms it.

I just had an initial, "should I?...should I be fighting these people?" especially after all the build up through the sewers and the notes.

It feels a bit like ND intended that to be a place where you might have met another survivor group, but cut it out for whatever reason (like time constraints)
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Jun 2013 16:38:02 16,840 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    It feels a bit like ND intended that to be a place where you might have met another survivor group, but cut it out for whatever reason (like time constraints)
    Yeah, it could be that and pacing, it's quite a tightly paced game and adding in more exposition with another group of survivors would have slowed things down.

Funny how there was a fixed gun section and it didn't annoy me, that's another mark in the games' favour.

• ecureuil 20 Jun 2013 17:13:28 76,491 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Haha, I'm over selling it. There's about 4 notes he penned I believe; the rest is conjecture.
    Not really, his story was very well done and I've seen many people talking about how interesting they found his notes.

This game is where Resident Evil should have gone after 5, but instead they doubled down on the same things people were bored of in 2009. I can't help but wonder if we'll see a lot of next gen games imitating The Last of Us. This feels as huge as Resident Evil 4 in terms of how it might influence the industry.

Edited by ecureuil at 17:13:49 20-06-2013
  • lordofdeadside 20 Jun 2013 19:43:29 1,097 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished it. Incredible ending, I can totally see why Joel did what he did. It was refreshing to have a character that had the emotional ties/flaws (depending on how you look at it) and didn't just go "for the greater good" and walk away. I did find it odd controlling a character doing something that I didn't want him to do though, a bit like watching a movie where you find yourself rooting for the wrong person.

Loved the fact that every person along the way was so well drawn and believable, there were characters that you only met for an couple of hours of gameplay that seemed more real than central characters in most games.

Did get frustrated by a couple of sections (the hanging upside down trapô being one), and I felt there could have been a little more instruction about what to do in some places.

Bonus points for having cracking DTS sound too, for once subtle use of the sub channel.
  • alexm 20 Jun 2013 19:53:46 246 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So big plot points aside, what were everyone's favourite gaming moments?

The sniper confrontation for me and would have been blown away by the hunting stuff more but post AC3, Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider etc I'm done for a while with bow and arrows (even if ND's were the best) - they probably expected the bow and arrow hunting stuff to have more of a wow factor than it ended up having...
  • Page

of 13 First / Last