The Last of Us - Spoilery Discussions Only Page 12

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• CharlieStCloud 9 Jul 2013 09:45:02 5,046 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Do you work for Quantic Dream or something?
    ... and if I hadn't played The Walking Dead, I would wonder if you work for Telltales Games!

You like The Walking Dead better whereas Graceland clearly prefers Heavy Rain.

Opinions, they are great.
  • King_Edward 9 Jul 2013 09:50:16 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really like them both, but Asura's Wrath is my qtefest of choice.
  • robc84 13 Jul 2013 23:22:46 5,275 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finshed. Amazing game from start to finish!

I thought the ending was superb. I think deep down ellie knew he was lying.

I havent read many of the spoilery discussions but I saw the points made on the first page about the nurses.tI murdered all three of them without a thought as I was 'in the zone' but as soon as I fired off that third shot I thought 'oh maybe I didnt need to do that'.

Finished with 52 deaths. 558 kills 70% accuracy and 52 headshots!
  • RobAnybody 14 Jul 2013 09:41:26 881 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Finshed. Amazing game from start to finish!

I thought the ending was superb. I think deep down ellie knew he was lying.

Correct - the game's writer confirmed that she knew Joel was lying (she has a great 'bullshit' detector). But she was okay with it (hence her last word).
  • Rhaegyr 14 Jul 2013 12:58:13 1,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I enjoyed Heavy Rain first time through a couple of years ago - not the greatest of stories but a great idea and something different in games.

When I played it a month or so ago it felt awful. Characters, plot (and the holes), control scheme etc. Really painful to play :confused:

I think The Last of Us will hold up a ton better.
  • [maven] 14 Jul 2013 14:47:25 5,150 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really enjoyed this. It's got problems (very linear flow, the repetitive loading-mask "interactions" / animations mainly in the first half of the game, ...), but the good massively outweighs any less good bits. It's very adult in a positive sense, it treated me as if I didn't need to be spoon-fed information and exposition.
    I could see this being a candidate for GOTY, but anything more (GAME OF THE GENERATION or whatever) seems to singing the praises a bit too highly. It's very derivative in its mechanics (it does most of them well and in a very polished way), and very linear in its zones and progression. The weapon and pill upgrades felt superfluous (but it's what games do, I guess).
  • altitude2k 14 Jul 2013 19:18:04 3,744 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just finished. Wow! Best console game this gen? Yeah...I reckon. A few thoughts:

1. Prefer Uncharted for the humour and jumpy climby shooty, but this was worlds apart in terms of story.
    2. Can we get more stealth in UC, please?
    3. Gonna upset people with this, but reminded me a lot of Gears. Not in terms of gameplay, in terms of the end of the world type stuff - abandoned towns, clues of harrowing annihilation. Kinda reminds me of what I see in the Gears story after reading more back story than the bro stuff.
    4. Ellie is kick-ass.
    5. Can Naughty Dog please remake Assassin's Creed III?
    6. Can Naughty Dog please remake everything.
    7. Please please please please no sequel. It is perfect, no more.
  • gammonbanter 31 Jul 2013 21:22:35 1,486 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone completed the last section (Firefly hospital) without killing anyone? I assume it's possible, using bottles and bricks!?

Just finished today, very impressed/moved. I've started this thread from page one and want to read all the comments (currently on page 4).

Edited by gammonbanter at 01:01:10 01-08-2013

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• gammonbanter 31 Jul 2013 22:02:03 1,486 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I think the whole world was infected. Except Madagascar, of course.
    Did you see the newspaper clipping saying "UK closes it's borders", we could be safe guys! No looting your neighbors then eating them for us!! \o/

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• Kay 31 Jul 2013 23:25:44 17,760 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't think it's possible to get past the last area without killing anyone, as they'll all just chase after you.
  • Bremenacht 31 Jul 2013 23:29:18 17,600 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Smoke.
  • BryanAKADJ 1 Sep 2013 13:13:05 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just read through this whole thread and feel very disappointed that I didn't get as immersed into the story as many of you have. I really did enjoy it but not to the equivalent as some posts I've read here. I'll definitely have to play through it again. Maybe I was overshooting my expectations with all the reviews I read and watched for it before finally getting it myself. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, but I was disappointed with a few select scenes, think it happened 3 times. First when Henry and Sam die, Joels fall and them escaping the university (I think it was?), then after Ellie kills David, just suddenly fast-forwarding past those heavy events right after they happen. They're all stand-out events but they suddenly skip past it, what happened then? What did Joel and Ellie do, what did they say to eachother, etc. I got a bit livid when it happened the 3rd time, I want to know what happened with Joel and Ellie, why'd they just fast-forward past them.

Like I said I don't think I was as immersed into it and the ending felt a bit underwhelming to me, might've been because of the way I played through it, only doing 1-3 hours a night. At first after completing it I thought it was okay, but once remembering all that happened I think its a very very good game, but because of my overshot expectations, whatever they were, it wasn't as good for me as for others, so, sucks for me.

I shot all the doctors by the way, first 2 with El Diablo then I seen the third cowering and realized I probably didn't have to do that, said screw it and blew her head away with Shorty.

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• mcmothercruncher 1 Sep 2013 16:51:03 6,432 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have you got kids?

MAN, did I feel protective over Ellie, heightened everything.
  • Dave_McCoy 10 Sep 2013 14:51:40 2,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rented this recently and kind of wish I bought it just to support Naughty Dog. I will soon. Really, really good. Grim, sweet at times and others shocking. There were times towards the the latter half where I was playing as Ellie where I felt bad that she had become a little killer. My gf seemed a bit disturbed how violent it was at times.

I drew my gun at the doc's in the surgery room as soon as I got there but ended up stabbing the main one in the neck and getting Ellie. Really well done sequence when he's running out of the hospital, I think it got something in my eye.

Worth the PS3 for this game...and the Uncharteds of course.
  • chrisno21 10 Sep 2013 15:00:48 1,462 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    People say Naughty Dog are the most over-rated developer out there. I just can't see that, they are the best developer out there at what they do.

For me they made 2 of the 3 best games this generation and haven't made a bad game since joining forces with Sony. They are a factor in my decision to go for PS4.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• CharlieStCloud 10 Sep 2013 15:10:00 5,046 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    chrisno21 wrote:
    People say Naughty Dog are the most overrated developer out there.
    ... who are these strange people?

You are quite right though; Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and The Last of Us are both in the, at the very least, top five of the very best games of this generation.
  • Dave_McCoy 10 Sep 2013 15:31:21 2,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm still going the Xbox One route, even though many may call me insane. But there's a tickle in the back of my head that a PS4 will have to be bought at some point, purely for ND's output. I loved all 3 Uncharteds and TLoU just shows what they can do. Sublime.
  • Fourwisemen 12 Sep 2013 23:44:33 154 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just finished TLOU and I have to say I don't recall any other game I've played having such a strong emotional connection. There were many times that I could feel myself rushing with genuine panic and no other game has made me 'really want' to crawl around. The crawling weirdly wasn't done in order not to be seen but because I didn't want to be found.

My only complaint is I hoped for a shocking ending, a not so happy ending and one that didn't leave a sequel open.

Brilliant stuff...
  • X201 12 Sep 2013 23:57:25 15,130 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fourwisemen wrote:

My only complaint is I hoped for a shocking ending, a not so happy ending and one that didn't leave a sequel open.
    Its not a happy ending. Joel lies to Ellie so that he doesn't lose her, and Ellie who has been lied to by everyone she ever trusted, knows that he's lying and has to accept it.
  • Fourwisemen 13 Sep 2013 00:08:21 154 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Fourwisemen wrote:

Its not a happy ending. Joel lies to Ellie so that he doesn't lose her, and Ellie who has been lied to by everyone she ever trusted, knows that he's lying and has to accept it.
    I'm not suggesting it's a happy ending of Scrooge proportions, it's more bitter sweet (at the end of the day they still have each other). As the end approached I hoped for either a bitter ending, imagine going through all that and for them to not have each other.

I suppose I wanted it to end up all for nothing, (maybe even make a choice) not because I'm a massocist, but because that would have really been different.
  • Punctum 13 Sep 2013 06:56:25 931 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Fourwisemen wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    Fourwisemen wrote:

I'm not suggesting it's a happy ending of Scrooge proportions, it's more bitter sweet (at the end of the day they still have each other). As the end approached I hoped for either a bitter ending, imagine going through all that and for them to not have each other.

I suppose I wanted it to end up all for nothing, (maybe even make a choice) not because I'm a massocist, but because that would have really been different.
    I thought the ending was excellent because of the reasons X201 gave. Amazing really, when you consider the homogeneity it possessed throughout without the story, characters or gameplay feeling compromised or forced.

For those reasons a sequel is moot.
  • Fourwisemen 13 Sep 2013 07:41:53 154 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Punctum wrote:
    Fourwisemen wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    Fourwisemen wrote:

I thought the ending was excellent because of the reasons X201 gave. Amazing really, when you consider the homogeneity it possessed throughout without the story, characters or gameplay feeling compromised or forced.

I have to say that I liked the fact that in the end, to his mind he saved Ellie, but also betrayed her. I also like the fact that it doesn't answer all the questions and leave the player thinking 'I wonder what happens next, does she find out and go bat shit or find it endearing'. It is a good ending and no doubt.

I think I maybe felt the way i did because unlike most other games I stayed away from spoilers, the story was good enough for me to do this. Of course I had heard about a twist or debate about the ending and I think my imagination led me to think that either Joel or Ellie were going to be killed.

At the point where you barge into the operating theatre and the surgeon tells you to turn back, I stood back for a minute and asked myself 'should I save her?'. The story was strong enough to make me question if I should save her or maybe save humanity. I would have been interesting to have a choice here and even more interesting to see what the aggregated results were a bit like The Walking Dead.

In the end, I dropped my gun and wondered if there was a non lethal option and decided to save her by punching the surgeon, of course that wasn't possible because you stab him.

This was maybe the only thing that really let me down.
  • Punctum 13 Sep 2013 08:25:08 931 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Fourwisemen wrote:
    Punctum wrote:
    Fourwisemen wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    Fourwisemen wrote:

I have to say that I liked the fact that in the end, to his mind he saved Ellie, but also betrayed her. I also like the fact that it doesn't answer all the questions and leave the player thinking 'I wonder what happens next, does she find out and go bat shit or find it endearing'. It is a good ending and no doubt.

I think I maybe felt the way i did because unlike most other games I stayed away from spoilers, the story was good enough for me to do this. Of course I had heard about a twist or debate about the ending and I think my imagination led me to think that either Joel or Ellie were going to be killed.

At the point where you barge into the operating theatre and the surgeon tells you to turn back, I stood back for a minute and asked myself 'should I save her?'. The story was strong enough to make me question if I should save her or maybe save humanity. I would have been interesting to have a choice here and even more interesting to see what the aggregated results were a bit like The Walking Dead.

In the end, I dropped my gun and wondered if there was a non lethal option and decided to save her by punching the surgeon, of course that wasn't possible because you stab him.

This was maybe the only thing that really let me down.
    I shot everyone in the surgery without hesitation - my only concern was saving Ellie. However, immediately after I felt guilty for killing the nurses (but not the surgeon), and wondered if I could have spared them.

I enjoyed the ending for the same reasons you did, and I think it's credit to Naughty Dog they have created an experience which stays with you long after I has ended.
  • robc84 13 Sep 2013 08:48:02 5,275 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I shot everyone in the surgery without hesitation also, as I was in the zone and just wanted to get to Ellie. Did wonder straight after if maybe I didn't need to shoot 3 unarmed doctors in the head....

I was very surprised they both survived. That last section was so emotional as I was sure someone would die (probably Joel).

Overall I cant really fault the story at all. Can't wait to see what ND can do on the ps4!
  • Fourwisemen 14 Sep 2013 15:00:14 154 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm in the XB1 camp at the mo but it'll be interesting to see what ND do with PS4 and imagine they'll do something that tempts me to buy a PS4 for.
  • Mr_Sleep 16 Sep 2013 11:24:27 16,840 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished it on survivor mode last night. If anyone is considering a replay I can heartily recommend this mode. Saying that, the Ellie section on Survivor was quite frustrating at times, I easily died the most trying to negotiate her section. Especially the first parts where you have that mass of clickers and the bit leading up to the bloater.

It really does alter the way you play, I found myself avoiding combat a lot more than in the previous play through and Joel feels a lot more vulnerable so stealth is quite important.

I think I'm done with it for a while now, I'm certainly not going to bother with the trophies.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Tuffty 30 Sep 2013 14:54:58 1,500 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished it last night. Gotta agree, the story/characters will have me thinking about it for a long time. For me, I rushed into the surgery room and the first thing I did was not to listen to the surgeons, not to pull out my gun in rage, but to make it towards Ellie. When the doctor pulled the scalpel out I just quick drawed my revolver out and got him. The doctors weren't my enemies, not really, but at that point, nobody stands in the way of me rescuing Ellie. It dawned on me afterwards that, if you wish to view it in this way, that Joel pretty much doomed mankind with that act. I mean, Joel just killed a brain surgeon. Pretty sure that pool of knowledge is pretty thin at this point in the world and it's hardly like there are running medical schools either.

While I think Joel's actions are shocking and reprehensible, I would agree with his actions. I don't have children, but I do have two nephews that I love like my own sons and I would do anything for them. I don't think I could give them up like that. Yes it was ultimately a selfish act, but then you could say it was also done out of love. That is a facet of humanity worth protecting and fighting for.

Really loved the writing and like someone mentioned earlier, the act to save Ellie came at the right place and time. Any earlier would have been too hard to believe. It also comes from a believable place because it has been established early on and repeated over the course of the game that Joel was distrusting of the Fireflies and their goals and so this was the last straw. While I personally prefer The Walking Dead for it's story/characters (which did legitimately move me to tears on multiple occassions), The Last Of Us does tell a wonderful, well written story and is a better game to play all round. Definately my game of the year.
  • ecureuil 30 Sep 2013 18:11:07 76,489 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mankind was doomed either way.
  • ZuluHero 30 Sep 2013 22:02:14 4,019 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Fourwisemen wrote:

She accepts it because she knows he cares about her and wouldn't do it without good reason. All the way through the game he's honest with her about what she means to him and what she is. Like you said everyone else lies to her for their own reasons, she never fully understands what is going on or what will happen to her.

She doesn't know that the doctors will kill her for the good of mankind. She goes in thinking that they'll do their thing and shell be able to carry on living her life.

Remember while she's worldly due to the circumstances at the end of the day she is still a child and one that is denied the facts to allow her to make an informed choice.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last