The Last of Us - Spoilery Discussions Only

• Page

of 13 First / Last

Previous
  • mikeck 13 Jun 2013 15:36:27 1,837 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, as requested in the other TLOU thread, a place for us to actually start discussing the story and not ruin things for others.

COMMENCE...!
  • Shikasama 13 Jun 2013 15:50:37 6,277 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The girl is Darth Revan
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 13 Jun 2013 15:57:11 36,280 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They all die at the end.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• mikeck 13 Jun 2013 16:00:21 1,837 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Both right ;)
  • El_MUERkO 13 Jun 2013 16:05:56 16,833 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Joel is Satan and it's all in the mind of James Franco.
  • mikeck 14 Jun 2013 14:53:20 1,837 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought the ending was great personally - the emotional pay-off I wanted, as someone invested in the story, was there and there were some nice layers to the story that can be developed in sequels if they were to continue the franchise.

Wouldn't have wanted it to end in any other way.
  • Folant 15 Jun 2013 08:39:57 1,143 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sequel is SO coming.

Set a few years after. Ellie already knows Joel lied.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• SolidSCB 15 Jun 2013 17:35:45 5,823 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That was a great ending to a great game. Definitely opens up the possibility for a sequel. Almost felt as if the game served to groom Eliie into the lead role for future games in the series. Best part of the game for me was the parrallel gameplay bit in the cannibal's camp, and the 'boss' fight in the diner/restaurant was absolutely nervewracking.

Regarding that bit, did anyone else think the guy getting carved up on the table in front of Ellie's cell was Joel at first? I honestly thought that was it for him there.
  • neilka 17 Jun 2013 01:24:36 14,942 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not sure how there could be a sequel, humanity has been left more or less doomed and you've killed pretty much everyone who was trying to find a cure. What could be the objective of a second game?
  • SolidSCB 17 Jun 2013 04:23:18 5,823 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Personally I hope they leave it as it is, standalone with no sequel. It is perfect as it is for me and any sequel would water down the fantastic experience I had with this game. The lie at the end does leave it open to exploitation though.
  • Barrel_Trollz 17 Jun 2013 04:29:08 134 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @SolidSCB I thought that was him, too. That, and when he fell on the glass and cut to black I thought he died, and showed up as Ellie. Some pretty good cliffhangers, those.
  • Barrel_Trollz 17 Jun 2013 04:32:23 134 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @DarkSpaceDS What do you mean "Survives until winter"? It was already snowing when he got on the horse. Have you ever been in a snowy situation? Within about 10 hours it can pile up to winter wonderland levels. It also pays regard to the fact that Ellie noticed his infection, so it had to be some time after (but not that long).
  • mikeck 17 Jun 2013 09:00:47 1,837 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @neilka I think you could easily use the world's setting to create another set of storylines.

The main objective doesn't have to be about finding a cure, it can any of number of trials/tribulations faced by people in the world.

I would actually love to see the whole Last of Us system used for Fallout IV, the whole time I was playing TLOU I was thinking it would be fantastic to experience an open-world full of the random side-quests etc that the Fallout world brings.

Therefore, no reason why ND couldn't open up the world of TLOU and expand the lore further to allow for a really sophisticated open-world experience.
  • Barrel_Trollz 17 Jun 2013 19:24:52 134 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @DarkSpaceDS People can survive a lot. If it missed important organs, he should have been fine. As it stands, I have no idea what exactly it pierced. Not his heart.
  • CharlieStCloud 19 Jun 2013 09:10:02 4,676 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    Ending was complete shit.
    ... and you wonder why you are rarely taken seriously?

A part of me was glad that Joel saved Ellie; the dash out of the hospital was bad for my tender heart because I sssoooooo badly didn't want them to die.

Before their last conversation, I was firmly on Joel's side, even though what he did was essentially a selfish act, seeing as Ellie was the 'cure' so to speak. I also understand that Joel probably could not bare to lose another 'daughter' figure after what had happened at the beginning of the story.

It wasn't until Joel lied that he made me feel ... a bit uncomfortable? I am a very honest person in real life and that last scene kind of rubs me up the wrong way, and I got the slightest impression that Ellie knew he was lying. Anyone else thinks this too?

My final observation is this:

Was Joel actually the 'bad guy' in this?

Funny how The Last of Us was released two days before Fathers Day seeing as the Fatherhood themes were very strong throughout, especially in the last season in which Joel says he would like to teach Ellie to swim 'after all this' and Ellie says she would go anywhere (with him) after her trip to the hospital ...

... unbeknownst to her that the operation is a fatal one.

Such a good game.

Hope they never make a sequel either.
  • mikeck 19 Jun 2013 09:36:16 1,837 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud Ellie definitely knew he was lying in my opinion.

There was a really good article on Edge about the game with lots of spoiler discussions posted yesterday, but it's been removed now for some reason.

Shame, as there were some interesting points about the ending. One of the ND team essentially saying that Ellie was almost allowing Joel to lie to her about it, because whilst she was initially willing to die for the cure, ultimately her bond to Joel became too strong and she didn't want to die.

That final OK, to me that was was genuine. She really was OK with Joel lying, and wanted to let him be oblivious to her knowing for a little while at least.

I loved the ending, but as you said, it did make me consider Joel as the bad guy a few times. People do what they do to survive, and ultimately James and his crew were after vengeance for a couple of strangers killing loads of his friends.

Yes they committed evil acts, but by Joel's admission in the game, so had he (countless times).

Also, I don't necessarily want a sequel with those characters, but the world/setting has many more stores to tell I think. Would be interesting to explore some of them.
  • neilka 19 Jun 2013 09:38:46 14,942 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did everyone needlessly and brutally murder the nurses in the operating theatre? I thought that was a bit much if we're meant to empathise with him!
  • CharlieStCloud 19 Jun 2013 10:02:14 4,676 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Did everyone needlessly and brutally murder the nurses in the operating theatre? I thought that was a bit much if we're meant to empathise with him!
    That was a choice.

Joel killed the surgeon, but I left the other two alone.

I guess that makes you a psychopath neilka!

; )

p.s. I enjoyed reading your observations mikeck.

I didn't like James and his crew once Joel walked through the human slaughter room. Yes, they were fighting for survival too, but the way David treated Ellie in her cage ('my little lamb') kind of made me want Joel to do what he does best.

Ellie however, was the one who horrifically hacked at his face in the end. Felt like the story was showing us that Ellie is slowing becoming like Joel ... just for a brief moment, mind.

I do wonder what the story DLC is going to be though.
  • mikeck 19 Jun 2013 10:03:07 1,837 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @neilka I took out the first doctor with little thought, hesitated over the second (but did bash him against the wall) and left the cowering third doctor alone.

I actually think it was more believable that he would act like that, his whole world at that point revolved around Ellie (with Sarah a distant memory, Tess recently deceased and not knowing if he'll get back to his brother ever again) and saving her, so it's more believable that he would storm his way in and wipe out any threats to her, or him saving her.

Don't forget we know he's a killer (from his past, and our own experiences with him) so for him to suddenly become overly concerned about those doctors lives at this point for me would be less believable.
  • mikeck 19 Jun 2013 10:06:04 1,837 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud Ah yes, that's the clear distinction I suppose. Joel has never butchered innocents and eaten them (his reactions to James and crews' atrocities supports this thought)!
  • Humperfunk 19 Jun 2013 10:29:58 1,606 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I took them all out, it was only after I killed the last nurse who was cowering on the floor that I thought "hang on, I probably didn't need to do that" but then again I/Joel was in in a full on murderous rampage mode which in a way made it fit.

Good to see Nolan North getting a good voice part in this as well!

Will be interesting to see where Naughty Dog go next - a sequel or leave it as a standalone and start a new game for the next gen. I'd say that the fact there is going to be single player DLC would indicate that they have little intention of making it a standalone game, and they like to make trilogies judging by previous form.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• CharlieStCloud 19 Jun 2013 10:30:02 4,676 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just had another thought.

Those letters from 'Ish' that you find in, um ... the sewers?

I was overjoyed to find a letter in one of the suburban houses not long afterwards, which more or less suggests Ish survived and was moving on with what was left of their families.

Amazed me how something as simple as half a dozen letters makes me care about a character we never meet. I would buy a letter simulator game of some form from Naughty Dog, you know!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 19 Jun 2013 10:57:14 24,561 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing I loved about the story is that it was never really about the infection or the potential cure, anyway. It's not a save the world tale, it's just a story about the two main characters and how they grow and change over the course of the year.

Joel's story was his journey to finding something finally worth fighting for since his daughters death, in Ellie. Ellie's was her growth from a young girl who knows nothing but the quaratube zone into a hardened survivor willing to do everything it takes to "endure and survive".

The ending suited that perfectly imo and is why Joel did what he did and lied about it and why Ellie accepted that even though she knew he was lying.

Probably.

The nurse was the only one who escaped my paternal wrath. I just about came to my senses in time. She was lucky.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 11:01:25 19-06-2013
  • StarchildHypocrethes 19 Jun 2013 10:59:14 24,561 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only disappointing thing about the story was that it never took an expected turn for the weird when Michael and Walt showed up.
  • Humperfunk 19 Jun 2013 11:04:46 1,606 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    The nurse was the only one who escaped my paternal wrath. I just about came to my senses in time. She was lucky.
    It's funny that this moment in the game now has really struck a chord with me after people have brought it up in this thread.

It is one of the best moments for me to illustrate how well the characters were written - describing it as "paternal wrath" is basically perfect. I was so invested in Joel that it was only after I'd shot all three that it occurred to me what I had done and there was a tinge of regret, because the whole hospital part had me in a full on rage that they were going to do that to Ellie. This is over shooting some computer game characters. Probably helped that I played from 75% all the way to the end in one sitting without a break, I was so fully immersed.

Brilliant work from Naughty Dog.

• Humperfunk 19 Jun 2013 11:05:48 1,606 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    The only disappointing thing about the story was that it never took an expected turn for the weird when Michael and Walt showed up.
    I actually went on IMDB after they turned up as I was sure Henry was voiced by the guy who played Michael.

It wasn't! Bah.

• javvyman 19 Jun 2013 11:48:25 705 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There was an interesting role reversal that panned out throughout the game.

During the Summer especially, Joel started warming to Ellie, she kind of broke through his years of torment and he found his former self, as shown during the the prologue.

I felt after the Winter, because of the atrocities Ellie faced in the camp, she had lost her innocence, and was in a way, no longer interested in Joel, maybe blaming him for what she had become.

Joel on the other hand became full on paternal, which I felt Ellie just did not want or need. The distinct feeling I got was that she had outgrown the connection we once had.

Anyway, during those last moments, I didn't feel like Ellie knew Joel was lying, just that she was willing to trust him and accept what he wanted from her.
    It was made all the more tragic because as much as I wanted them to end up together, the truth would most likely have torn them apart, but the lie kind of undid the relationship they built throughout the game, made it all very bittersweet.

Edited by javvyman at 11:50:30 19-06-2013
  • Page

of 13 First / Last

Previous