Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 Page 31

• Page

of 37 First / Last

• Deleted user 4 November 2013 20:28:08
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    Urgh.

Whisper it quietly, but I'm seriously disappointed with this years PES (Pro, X360).
    Scratch that, I think I actively dislike this years version.

Something I've noticed recently has been really bugging me. There has always been (what I term) "cheating AI" where the AI blags a goal here and there and makes the odd game nigh on impossible to win. This year it seems like this is a given in every match.

The AI consistently destroys my little nobodies with interceptions (the only stat that has any real bearing on a game imo), has nigh on savant levels of pass reading, can seemingly run at twice the speed of your players when in defence and has a really high accuracy when it comes to shots per goal.

From someone who has historically played PES for the last 15 years on Top Player (or versions thereof) I've just resorted to (shudder) Normal which is making me look like a fool consistently.

There are so many pluses with this years version too - the added accuracy on long passes/FKs/corners etc, the shoulder barge defence mechanic and the trimming down of the back-office bullshit but sadly, imo, the gameplay has suffered massively in the process.

Pretty much every game I've played has been one of two varieties. Either you score a last minute winner after swearing constantly at the bullshit that's going on around you or you get completely outplayed from kick-off.

I MUST be doing something wrong. Please, for the love of God tell me I'm doing something wrong?

As it stands, EG's review is a complete joke.
  • Reacher 4 Nov 2013 20:35:43 886 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I have been playing the ML with my best mate and regular teammate. We have found it too easy.
  • Deleted user 4 November 2013 20:38:26
    That goes into the "I must be doing something wrong" category then.

For every game I enjoy playing there are 3 that are lamentable. Maybe it's just me....
  • Stockings 8 Nov 2013 14:48:59 1,093 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No, every PES forum is full of unhappy people, they're all waiting for this next patch.
    Konami's patches usually improve the game quite a bit in my experience.
    Unfortunately I've had no time to play the game at all despite being very excited in the build up to release, ah well that's life :(

Liked what I played though, dribbling is back to what it should be, mugging defenders with weight-shifts and direction changes, but yeah a bit laggy and shooting was far better last year.

Lets hope the patch is a good one.
  • THFourteen 8 Nov 2013 15:36:22 34,180 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still think that the pressing in this game is really annoying from an AI perspective.

Barely get any time on the ball at all
  • Nades 8 Nov 2013 16:31:43 1,609 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think they just need to make the movement on the ball when not sprinting a bit faster.

http://www.onlyproevolutions.com/2013/11/konami-data-pack-2-details-new-boots-player-faces-11vs11.html

Here's the info and screenshots on the update...

Liverpool FC
    _______

XbL: Nades x
    PSN: EU-Nades

• -Metro 9 Nov 2013 15:02:39 10 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Briefly, I was a returned Pro Evo disciple, even going so far as to say that the old 'magic' was back. But I've since gone back to FIFA 14, and prefer it tbh.

What I reckon is better about FIFA's gameplay, compared to Pro Evo (from a multiplayer perspective), is that it's more dynamic, flexible and 'alive'.

PES 2014 is very seductive technically, with its methodical 'European-style' tempo. But it's kinda one-note in its range of useful approaches, with a deliberative passing game being by far and away the most effective (and often only) way to play it.

FIFA, I feel, is much better as a football sandbox, due to said greater flexibility and fluidity of its mechanics. I find my games are often tight, chess-like affairs, but it also accommodates a faster, more physical style of play, if that's your bag.

I've found joy pumping long 'quarterback' passes either directly into the path of an oncoming strikr, or via a headed flick-on first. It's that sort of direct play that I don't think PES 2014 caters for as readily.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, just my 2c on the two games having played them both.

Edited by -Metro at 15:30:08 09-11-2013
  • FuzzyDuck 9 Nov 2013 18:37:05 4,675 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was getting on grand at Top Player (played the game religiously on the PS2, dabbled with 09 and 11 this gen), but as said, the AI would just cheat.

I was playing a Champion's League match and just needed a 1-0 to advance. Could I do it? No chance. Played one match, conceded a goal in the last minute. Reloaded. Next match I hit the post 8 times. Next reload involved 2 saved penalties and 3 post hits.

The keepers broke my heart though. Never trusting an EG PES review again, as that's what I bought this on the back of.
  • Nades 9 Nov 2013 22:06:54 1,609 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just wait for the patch and see if Konami have fixed the game. I have stayed away from it until then!

Liverpool FC
    _______

• lovely2cu 11 Nov 2013 08:20:47 1,194 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    -Metro wrote:
    Briefly, I was a returned Pro Evo disciple, even going so far as to say that the old 'magic' was back. But I've since gone back to FIFA 14, and prefer it tbh.

What I reckon is better about FIFA's gameplay, compared to Pro Evo (from a multiplayer perspective), is that it's more dynamic, flexible and 'alive'.

PES 2014 is very seductive technically, with its methodical 'European-style' tempo. But it's kinda one-note in its range of useful approaches, with a deliberative passing game being by far and away the most effective (and often only) way to play it.

FIFA, I feel, is much better as a football sandbox, due to said greater flexibility and fluidity of its mechanics. I find my games are often tight, chess-like affairs, but it also accommodates a faster, more physical style of play, if that's your bag.

I've found joy pumping long 'quarterback' passes either directly into the path of an oncoming strikr, or via a headed flick-on first. It's that sort of direct play that I don't think PES 2014 caters for as readily.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, just my 2c on the two games having played them both.
    I agree.

Pro Evo certainly creates a good 'feeling', particularly in single player.

But it can be a bit rigid in almost dictating you play a certain way, whereas I find FIFA gives you a more flexible set of tools and says "go play", be that the 'Right Way', or Stoke-like.

Dodgy analogy, but I'd liken PES to Max Payne 3 and FIFA to GTAV.
  • THFourteen 11 Nov 2013 09:06:48 34,180 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PESEdit patch 1.3 is out with Championship teams!
  • imamazed 11 Nov 2013 09:24:19 5,884 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there a single-link download file? I can't be arsed with this multilink rubbish.
  • THFourteen 11 Nov 2013 09:29:24 34,180 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i use pirateproxy.se to get the torrent link

you have to wait an extra day for it to be uploaded but its worth it without those stupid multi upload rubbish things
  • Rodchenko 12 Nov 2013 13:21:03 422 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:

For every game I enjoy playing there are 3 that are lamentable. Maybe it's just me....
    No. I have pretty much the same experiences, though for me they are not particular to this version but something I've had to deal with for all of the 'next gen' titles.

There is still something 'sticky' and rail-like about it, the way players move, run, turn, the way the ball decides where to go. It still doesn't feel properly 'free'. It also still feels governed more by odd background scripts rather than truly and exclusively by what you do with your controller.

Plus, it is again very inventive in punishing, curtailing, crippling or otherwise putting the human player at a disadvantage just so the computer can hold up: you play against the scripts, against the overpowered, over-agile, over-savant, stats-ignoring, fully-stamina'ed AI, against the stupidity and inability of your own players, who show no sense of awareness, urgency or will power, the ref, the constant offsides It's a master piece in showing how programmers can screw the human player over and over again*

Infuriating really, how Konami hang on to these questionable and rather unrewarding design decisions, but I am starting to believe they can't do better.

Here is small hope for the patch.

* Edit: which doesn't mean I can't win. Quite the opposite. But that even winning is not rewarding anymore, that's the serious issue with this game.

Edited by Rodchenko at 13:23:39 12-11-2013
  • ERG1008 12 Nov 2013 17:27:15 665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rodchenko wrote:
    Ironlungs76 wrote:

No. I have pretty much the same experiences, though for me they are not particular to this version but something I've had to deal with for all of the 'next gen' titles.

There is still something 'sticky' and rail-like about it, the way players move, run, turn, the way the ball decides where to go. It still doesn't feel properly 'free'. It also still feels governed more by odd background scripts rather than truly and exclusively by what you do with your controller.

Plus, it is again very inventive in punishing, curtailing, crippling or otherwise putting the human player at a disadvantage just so the computer can hold up: you play against the scripts, against the overpowered, over-agile, over-savant, stats-ignoring, fully-stamina'ed AI, against the stupidity and inability of your own players, who show no sense of awareness, urgency or will power, the ref, the constant offsides It's a master piece in showing how programmers can screw the human player over and over again*

Infuriating really, how Konami hang on to these questionable and rather unrewarding design decisions, but I am starting to believe they can't do better.

Here is small hope for the patch.

* Edit: which doesn't mean I can't win. Quite the opposite. But that even winning is not rewarding anymore, that's the serious issue with this game.
    Great post. I agree with everything you've said and it's the reason I stopped playing.
    With PES2014 having the above issues, Fifa 14 being soulless tripe and FM14 broken (especially at LLM level) until SI get their act together, 2013 has been a bad year for single player football games.
  • Nades 16 Nov 2013 13:15:34 1,609 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Seems as though the update is finally here....I'm downloading the data pack now!

Liverpool FC
    _______

• gelf 16 Nov 2013 15:37:19 188 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been playing this for a little while and the only thing I have a major problem with is it seems impossible to score from distance, if any patch sorts that out I'd be happy. I actually prefer crap keepers to keepers that are too good. Right now they seem to be able to grab any long shot with ease and it gets boring if no long shots ever go in.
  • jamesi 16 Nov 2013 16:09:41 218 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bit baffled by criticism for this,did quite a few south american tournaments and loved it,some epic games on professional.yeah it has some issues but will be fixed via patch.Can't wait for master league online.
  • Nades 16 Nov 2013 16:24:24 1,609 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    After playing some games, it seems like the patch hasn't sorted much out other than response, it feels like it's sped the game up a little, which is fine by me.

Other than that, it kinda feels like the shooting is a bit more powerful than before the patch which is good for me as I thought they were too floaty.

Keepers still seem like they're retarded, still (I think) too good from long range and bad from short.....

Need more games to tell properly though.

Liverpool FC
    _______

• SuperCoolEskimo 16 Nov 2013 16:27:11 9,983 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So is it much improved with the new update/patch?
  • Nades 16 Nov 2013 16:37:00 1,609 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Overall, no way. I was expecting to notice a big difference, but it's like a challenge just to figure out what the differences are :/

Liverpool FC
    _______

• Dougs 16 Nov 2013 21:58:30 69,011 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's unlikely that a (console?) patch will fix that much tbh. Not played it since the update, but managed a few games the other night, still enjoying it, despite the crap keepers (which are probably more realistic than some of the unbeatable fuckers).
  • killersrquiet 17 Nov 2013 12:32:39 2,115 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Online play is more fluid and responsive. Not entirely rid of lag but close enough.

Shooting is infinitely better. Shots have more power and less likely to float. Overall gameplay has improved but we are talking small yet noticeable improvements.
  • Nades 17 Nov 2013 14:32:43 1,609 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I noticed that also. Online is much better. It's all about ML for me though. Once Daymos releases his patch, I'll finally be able to start one!

Liverpool FC
    _______

• killersrquiet 17 Nov 2013 15:03:25 2,115 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nades wrote:
    I noticed that also. Online is much better. It's all about ML for me though. Once Daymos releases his patch, I'll finally be able to start one!
    Same here its getting boring playing cups etc waiting for daymos:-)
  • Nades 17 Nov 2013 16:21:16 1,609 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, ML basically makes PES for me :).

Liverpool FC
    _______

• Stockings 17 Nov 2013 18:17:42 1,093 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PC users have to wait till tomorrow for the patch, ffs I had time to play today ;(

BTW it seems to work fine on my lappy with rubbish integrated graphics if anyone was wondering whether to risk it.
  • imamazed 17 Nov 2013 18:32:42 5,884 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Stockings What settings you playing on?
  • Stockings 17 Nov 2013 19:37:35 1,093 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hi, I've only tried low settings, I'll try medium later to see.
    I have the HD4000 integrated graphics, a message comes up saying incompatible but I select ignore and it works fine.

edit, just tried to select medium but it wouldn't let me, so looks like only low.
    Hmm maybe people shouldn't risk it then, I don't mind low graphics though, all the crowd are there etc, just pitch detail doesn't look that great.

Edited by Stockings at 19:45:43 17-11-2013
  • LionheartDJH 17 Nov 2013 19:57:50 19,513 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nades wrote:
    Yeah, ML basically makes PES for me :).
    Same here, happy to see the data pack with the transfers is finally here, been waiting a while to start an ML!

She dives for cheese pasties

• Page

of 37 First / Last