Infamous: Second Son Page 38

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• jagg3r 6 May 2014 13:51:29 1,037 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I played maybe 2 hrs of this yesterday and I dunno if ill ever play it again. Just got to the city and played around a bit, its really dull stuff.I presume it picks up alot? Apart from the pretty graphics it hasn't got much going on for it and I find the character and general combat all a bit floaty, just feels off.
  • killersrquiet 6 May 2014 15:27:08 2,009 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Stick with it, i was initially disappointed. When you pick up more powers the game comes into its own. The story is average but you can have so mucb fun once you level up powers
  • heavy_salad 6 May 2014 18:22:36 724 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been playing through this over the past week or so. It's pretty good, but I don't really like the combat. It seems to only take a couple of hits before the screen goes grey and Delsin's attacks seem to lack any real bite on the whole. Doesn't really do a very good job of making me feel like a superhero.

Seattle seems a bit dull too really. Not a lot of variety to the city. All looks very pretty though obviously.

Also it seems really quite short - 48% through after I'm guessing about 5-6 hours tops.
  • kafiota 7 May 2014 06:17:44 18 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    im still uncertain if i should pick this up.
  • b0rk 7 May 2014 06:20:30 2,729 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Small gripe but there's a bloody awful 'effect' around the satellites. I thought the PS4 was melting because it looks utterly out of place in an otherwise sublime looking game. Oh and the boss battles are crap.
  • b0rk 7 May 2014 06:26:42 2,729 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    killersrquiet wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    The 30fps option is not being saved between sessions and it keeps defaulting back to unlimited. >(
    I don't see the need for the 30fps lock at all to be honest.

The game plainly looks better with the faster, more fluid framerate. And very, very rarely have I experienced any frame drops of note.
    I agree but it was one of the most requested features that SP received. No idea why the game runs great imho
    -_-

30fps is smooth, 60fps is smoother but anything in between looks bad. I mean just pan the camera around with it set to unlimited. Come on now.
  • SomaticSense 7 May 2014 09:25:15 8,356 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I played through the whole game pre-patch, and it was fine. Lots of camera panning too :)

I really don't get the whining tbf.
  • PrivateFloyd 7 May 2014 11:17:08 4,135 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just completed a good karma playthrough. Good stuff and really enjoyed it and for one of the first times ever I think I am going to play through again for the evil karma.

Perfect timing really as Im off to Portugal for a week first thing tomorrow, so a nice little break then back into it!

Goat is hungry.....

• SeeNoWeevil 7 May 2014 12:14:37 55 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @SomaticSense How individuals perceive motion seems quite different. The very first thing I noticed about Infamous was a very jarring framerate. I can't stand the way when you pan past some very low detail scene (i.e scaling a plain wall) the framerate rockets and everything goes super smooth. The 30fps lock feels much nicer. I guess my eyes favour consistency.

Need for Speed on the PS4 looks buttery smooth to me and yet is only 30fps and I've seen a lot comment how poor the framerate is.

I agree about the bosses though, they are utter, utter pap. As are the paper trail 'missions'/collectables. It's a decent core game but the content just isn't there.
  • SomaticSense 7 May 2014 12:27:32 8,356 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dark Souls 2 on consoles has it much, much worse, yet no one mentions it. Same with pretty much most games, even those on PC.

That's what I meant with my "whining" comment. Self-entitled gamers demanding a locked, lower framerate, just because of what are really minor frame drops in comparison to some of the choppy shit we've coped with fine since the PS1.
  • scoobysi 7 May 2014 12:39:23 889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TVs must play apart in the perception of framerate/smoothness too don't they (i.e. gaming mode enabled or not, input lag)? Infamous (unlocked) on my Bravia looks awesome, very smooth and I haven't noticed the above issues. Perhaps it's how I perceive motion as mentioned above but I'm not going to go looking for the issues :)

To those not enjoying the game, the start is awful, slow etc. but it picks up in the City and once you start upgrading your powers it's brilliant. Boss battles are awful but they're infrequent. Finished good, now on Evil Expert play through.

Edited by scoobysi at 12:39:49 07-05-2014
  • ecureuil 7 May 2014 13:27:10 76,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It never reaches the point of brilliance. It's slow to start, then gets okay, then gets repetitive, then it finishes. I even think the graphics are a bit overrated, though it does look nice in the rain.
  • killersrquiet 7 May 2014 13:46:01 2,009 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It never reaches the point of brilliance. It's slow to start, then gets okay, then gets repetitive, then it finishes. I even think the graphics are a bit overrated, though it does look nice in the rain.
    At times it does look average then you go turnaround and your jaw drops.

Looks amazing in the rain i have to agree. I've got some great screenshots low with raindrops and cars, looks unreal at times.
  • ecureuil 7 May 2014 18:14:22 76,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Honestly I think GTAV is a better looking game.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 7 May 2014 18:18:15 25,917 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wasn't blown away by it if I'm honest. The lighting is excellent at night, particularly with the neon powers, but it suffers from a distinct blandness overall.
  • FuzzyDuck 7 May 2014 20:21:36 4,151 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Agree, with both points above.

The city is pretty bland and seems to be featureless. Doesn't really matter where you are on the ground it all looks the same. By contrast, GTA V has some great features, different parts of the map have their own character and flavour.

I also think GTA V makes a better jonb of atmospheric lighting too (especially when you consider the age of the hardware it's running on).
  • b0rk 8 May 2014 04:44:20 2,729 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    You've seen the PC version then, eh? Because saying the console versions of GTAV look better than Second Son is one of the more astonishing things I've read on the internet in a while.
  • Widge Moderator 8 May 2014 11:11:48 13,621 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    suffers from a distinct blandness overall.
    As mentioned, possibly suffering from modelling on a real city. Cities are great real life locations but don't necessarily translate well to settings for games. Hence Driver's locations never felt as vibrant as GTA 3's. No room for artistic license.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• killersrquiet 8 May 2014 11:59:24 2,009 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    You've seen the PC version then, eh? Because saying the console versions of GTAV look better than Second Son is one of the more astonishing things I've read on the internet in a while.
    Beer Goggles and gaming don't mix well
  • SomaticSense 8 May 2014 12:26:04 8,356 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I too don't think ISS looks half as impressive as all the gushing suggests.

But that's just... mental.
  • ecureuil 8 May 2014 13:00:40 76,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's just high resolution with a bunch of neon signs, artistically it's quite bland. Would rather sight-see in GTAV than Second Son for sure.
  • SomaticSense 8 May 2014 13:03:57 8,356 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Artistically, I'm definitely with you on that.
  • monkman76 8 May 2014 13:14:20 4,306 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So if something is artistically better, it's reasonable to say it's better-looking surely. Graphics aren't just resolution. FWIW having only seen videos of ISS, I'd tend to agree with ecureuil.
  • killersrquiet 8 May 2014 13:22:14 2,009 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    GTA V artistically is miles ahead of ISS

Image Quality on ISS is higher/better (obviously)
  • SomaticSense 8 May 2014 13:22:51 8,356 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There is a difference between 'technically impressive' and 'artistically impressive' though.

I prefer the artistic look of Halo for example, but I wouldn't say it had better graphics than Shadow Fall. Confusing the two criteria will always cause misunderstandings.
  • monkman76 8 May 2014 13:24:29 4,306 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You said ecureuil was mental for saying GTAV was 'better looking'...

edit - or at least that the viewpoint was mental :)

Edited by monkman76 at 13:25:00 08-05-2014
  • SomaticSense 8 May 2014 13:28:17 8,356 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Because I had no idea whether he meant "better looking" technically or artistically. It could be taken either way really. I read it as the former.

Edited by SomaticSense at 13:28:43 08-05-2014
  • monkman76 8 May 2014 13:30:17 4,306 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Perhaps he meant overall. Either way, harsh judgement!
  • killersrquiet 8 May 2014 13:33:25 2,009 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Regardless, i dont think we should forget what a massive achivement GTA5 was for last gen tech. I played it last week on my friends 360 and it still doesnt fail to impress

Genuinely amazing the level of detail/map size that rockstar crafted.
  • b0rk 8 May 2014 14:26:20 2,729 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Second Son includes a frame frame also. My main gripe with GTAV (other than it being monumentally boring to play) was the wonky frame rate. This was on PS3 though and I'm guessing the 360 version is better in that regard?
  • Page

of 41 First / Last