Why so cynical, EG? Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• drip 10 Jun 2013 20:06:45 4,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @SparkyMarky81

I found her pretty funny in the past, but with time she grew more extreme, and since the return of her maternal leave she's totally overdoing it. Don't like it either.
  • jonsaan 10 Jun 2013 21:04:15 25,360 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whoa!

FCUTA!

• spongebob 10 Jun 2013 21:24:09 245 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not Ellie only.

The problem is also that being a website instead of a monthly publication there's no time for people to calm down and reflect. And for some weird reason this seems to concern also some of the staff writers and not just the guests.

So what happens is that people seem to get all worked up after some news story and instead of waiting for proper information from proper sources they vent out the frustration in ALL articles. And they follow up that with columns and whatever.

What happens is that a gamesite starts to look like they're on a mission against something instead of just reporting unbiased information.

I used to love EG, now I think it's getting worse day by day. It's way too juvenile for my taste.
  • Shikasama 10 Jun 2013 21:32:37 6,958 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nowt wrong with them having their own voice or anything like that, it's just the constant snakryness gets in the wy of things sometimes.

Matulef used to treat the place like it was his own blog.
  • phAge 10 Jun 2013 21:40:55 24,386 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really didn't intend for this to become an Ellie-bashing thread, and I still think EG is *the* place to go for serious, quality games-reporting.

My initial post was simply a response to a completely unwarranted cynicism and flippant attitude from EG towards the core subject of the site - gaming - which equates to a car-mag covering the Frankfurt Motor Show with page after page of snide comments about the shitness of car manufacturers these days and how pathetic their products are.

Just seems odd that what should be an occasion of excitement and, well, joy for all gamers has turned into a who-can-be-the-least-impressed competition with Eurogamer at the fore.
  • el_pollo_diablo 10 Jun 2013 21:45:57 2,106 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find Gameological generally tend to have the best livestreams. Their comments are moderated so only the most interesting / funny stuff gets through.
  • spongebob 10 Jun 2013 21:46:38 245 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @phAge You couldn't be more right. I miss the old EG. Witty sarcasm is good, but cynicism is just annoying.
  • Bremenacht 10 Jun 2013 21:49:23 18,703 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok. Fair enough. But, increasing cynicism is a fairly reasonable response to increasing hype. Selling a PS3 using CGI was once regarded as laughably underhanded, now it's normal.

If you want your hype unadulterated, use the direct feed.
  • phAge 10 Jun 2013 21:58:00 24,386 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I disagree. The proper response to hype is skepticism - not calling everything shit "just to be sure".

Actually, the latter isn't even cynicism - it's simply childish (and not even very amusing, sadly).
  • mikew1985 10 Jun 2013 22:01:40 12,888 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is it OK to say I'm genuinely excited after the announcements shown so far today?

Haven't been as optimistic about gaming in years.

Edited by mikew1985 at 22:01:57 10-06-2013
  • spongebob 10 Jun 2013 22:02:13 245 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Increasing hype is just marketing. It's always on the rise. What you do is you filter out the crap and report about it in a neutral fashion. That's regular journalism. If you want to be a slightly more funnier, you add sarcasm, but when you choose cynicism and calling names, it's not journalism anymore. It's blogging or trolling :)
  • Bremenacht 10 Jun 2013 22:34:34 18,703 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The EG feed called stuff 'shit' and resorted to name calling? I'm surprised.
  • ronuds 11 Jun 2013 01:47:42 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Just seems odd that what should be an occasion of excitement and, well, joy for all gamers has turned into a who-can-be-the-least-impressed competition with Eurogamer at the fore.
    They go the way of the internet, where to be positive is to be wrong.
  • Nige 11 Jun 2013 08:42:37 10 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the largely irrelevant sniping. I'm no stranger to sarcasm myself, but this was just plain annoying; like trying to concentrate on a good book with a two year old in the room. I personally could do with it being toned down a tad, because for me the 2 biggest gaming stories for many a year became flippin' hard to follow.

Edited by Nige at 08:45:05 11-06-2013
  • FuzzyDuck 11 Jun 2013 08:49:58 4,328 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To be honest, if Ellie is being paid as a professional journalist to cover Sony's conference last night, she should be at the least reprimanded as her coverage was nothing short of a joke (which she seemed to treat it as).

Whatever about being cynical with what was happening, half her comments made no sense, made no reference to what was unfolding and were just ramblings!
  • kalel 11 Jun 2013 09:02:50 88,359 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wasn't really sure what this was on about, but just read through the PS3 feed and the tone is exhausting. An incessant stream of forced snideness for the sake of nobody's amusement but the writer.
  • nickthegun 11 Jun 2013 09:07:22 60,424 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You see, I quite like that and would prefer to read it than some dreary fact report with no personality.

Mainly, I think, because my life is an incessant stream of forced snideness for the sake of nobody's amusement but my own.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Ziz0u 11 Jun 2013 09:10:21 8,489 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just read a bit and it is a bit much perhaps.

Snide comment

Report the news

Snide comment about the news

Snide comment

Report the news

Snide comment about the news

etc
  • FuzzyDuck 11 Jun 2013 09:10:52 4,328 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I wasn't really sure what this was on about, but just read through the PS3 feed and the tone is exhausting. An incessant stream of forced snideness for the sake of nobody's amusement but the writer.
    Yeah, it was real self-servicing, bottom of the barrel journalism.

Might have been a touch easier to swallow if the event that was being reported on, was you know, actually reported on.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2013 09:19:00
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    To be honest, if Ellie is being paid as a professional journalist to cover Sony's conference last night, she should be at the least reprimanded as her coverage was nothing short of a joke (which she seemed to treat it as).

Whatever about being cynical with what was happening, half her comments made no sense, made no reference to what was unfolding and were just ramblings!
    I've said it since day one with her, she's an utterly abysmal video games journalist who tries to inject her awful sense of "humour" into everything she writes.

It's not fun, it's not quirky, it's just shite.
  • FuzzyDuck 11 Jun 2013 09:25:49 4,328 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep. I recall reading a review of hers before and thinking "was she high, or didn't actually get to play the game?", but her 'reporting' was so spectacularly shit last night that if she did the vast majority of other jobs as badly as she was doing hers, she'd be down the dole office this morning.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jun 2013 09:30:17 7,666 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't mind her reviews, but yeah, the PS3 feed was a bit much.
  • kalel 11 Jun 2013 09:35:48 88,359 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    You see, I quite like that and would prefer to read it than some dreary fact report with no personality.

Mainly, I think, because my life is an incessant stream of forced snideness for the sake of nobody's amusement but my own.
    Personality is fine, but there is a vast vast middle-ground between what was posted last night and a dispassionate account.
  • RedSparrows 11 Jun 2013 09:37:04 23,244 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like Ellie's reviews, on average.

I can understand why people don't, though.
  • Benno 11 Jun 2013 09:40:25 10,005 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That Ellie Gibson bird was doing my nut in on the Sony feed. Stupid quips every line. I am all for a bit of humor, but it was like the class clown trying hard at every opportunity and overdoing it.
  • Stockings 11 Jun 2013 09:40:52 1,063 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    KIck her fucking head off!!
  • DFawkes 11 Jun 2013 09:41:03 23,312 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it was just me that didn't finds it funny, or especially informative. I've never been a fan of Ellie's style anyway, though I'm never sure if that's because they specifically give her games they want her to be sarky about, or she genuinely feels the need to be sarky about everything she plays ever.

It's that point there that means I never really know how to take her reviews, as if she is sarky about everything then I should assume they're better than she implies. I've bought a good few games she's rated low and enjoyed every one of them, so she definitely never shares a similar opinion to me. That's still useful though, as it's at least consistently different to my opinion :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• kinky_mong 11 Jun 2013 09:44:01 10,430 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    She was an embarrassment on all the feeds, and reflects very badly on the professionalism of the site.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• kalel 11 Jun 2013 09:44:19 88,359 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't mind humour, and a review style is fine, but when you're reading a stream specifically for information, and that information has to be decoded due to the amount of "humour" being piled on top of it, someone isn't doing their job.
  • Benno 11 Jun 2013 09:45:04 10,005 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stockings wrote:
    KIck her fucking head off!!
    :p
  • Page

of 3 First / Last