NSA surveillance whistleblower interviewed Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• glaeken 25 Jun 2013 09:49:31 11,177 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RightBean wrote:
    I thought Obama was supposed to be good guys, why are they making this mans life hell? Just because they have the Patriot Act, which was rushed through congress at a time of national paranoia, doesn't make it right, I thought Obama was a thoughtful and moralistic man, then if so, he can understand Snowdens legitimate concerns, that he took a lot of risk and gave a comfortable job for what he felt was right, and they should let this man return home to his family.
    America does not seem to see shades of grey. It's you either with us or against us. Nothing in between.

I still don't really understand Snowden's motivations. He must have been aware that America would treat him like this and want to lock him up for a couple of hundred years and he has done it all in the name of telling us stuff we pretty much already knew. I wonder if he was about to get into shit about something else and if this is a smoke screen on his behalf. Or maybe he is an idiot.
  • Chopsen 25 Jun 2013 09:54:28 16,019 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a difference between knowing and actually *knowing*, know what I mean?

Also, they now know we know, wheras before they could say we didn't really know it, we just suspected it, because we didn't have evidence. Now we have evidence, we can prove we know, which means we can hold them accountable.
  • Deckard1 25 Jun 2013 09:56:59 28,038 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jesus, stop saying know
  • Chopsen 25 Jun 2013 09:57:30 16,019 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I know. I have a problem
  • TheRealBadabing 25 Jun 2013 10:03:09 1,314 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know all the hipsters are saying they were wearing tinfoil hats before they were so popular but come on.

This is the first time we have had real proof of the extent of our governments' snooping so it stops being a conspiracy theory and becomes a real story. Something which may have a huge impact on society that needs to be examined and debated.

So let's ignore the issues and just do what the media is doing and talk about Snowden's motives and travel plans.
  • glaeken 25 Jun 2013 10:03:26 11,177 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We can hold them accountable? They are pursuing the guy as a traitor so it does not seem to me they are admitting they have been caught doing something wrong. There is no acknowledgement at all of being in the wrong about anything.

Edit: This is in regard to the US anyway.

Edited by glaeken at 10:04:19 25-06-2013
  • Shikasama 25 Jun 2013 10:04:47 6,843 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It really is quite scary how easily this story has been blown off by some people.

It makes them right when the Government treats us like idiots.
  • sirtacos 25 Jun 2013 18:58:44 7,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FWIW the guy is a hero.
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be worth much.
    The guy traded his life for what he thought to be the greater good, only for it to barely make a dent in anything. It frightens me how completely unaccountable the US government (and its accomplices) are, and how unrepentant it is in the face of such blatant exposure.

There's a line in My Dinner with Andre that goes something like "the 1960s were the last burst of the human spirit before it was extinguished". It's a bit hyperbolic to bring it up in this context, but then, look at the public's docility in the face of such shameless abuse of power. (I know, I know, all that's left is for me to bring up Orwell... whoops.)

I'm trying hard not to sound like a tinfoil-hat wearing wannabe anarchist here, but what the fuck is this unrelenting war on our freedom and how the hell do we stop it.
  • Bremenacht 25 Jun 2013 23:52:57 18,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm waiting for the PR campaign to portray him as some sort of deviant nutcase to start, if it hasn't already.

I think we've just become inured to this kind of behaviour. We live in a surveillance society anyway so discovering some new form of surveillance going on comes as no surprise.

You can stop the war on privacy by not voting for those who support it.
  • Bremenacht 25 Jun 2013 23:54:06 18,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    FWIW the guy is a hero.
    And yeah, he's the closest we've got to a hero, given how the rest of his life will play out. He kinda knocks wikileaks and Anon into a cocked hat.
  • cubbymoore 26 Jun 2013 00:08:19 36,498 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    I'm waiting for the PR campaign to portray him as some sort of deviant nutcase to start, if it hasn't already.

I think we've just become inured to this kind of behaviour. We live in a surveillance society anyway so discovering some new form of surveillance going on comes as no surprise.

You can stop the war on privacy by not voting for those who support it.
    Well that would be nice if that were true. Unfortunately we don't live in a society where a political party represents that view, and has policies on the economy, and has policies on welfare, and has policies on a thousand other issues, and has access to funds to campaign with, because you vote for a package of policies, not on a policy by policy basis. As long as that remains the case, stuff like this can and will happen, because once you vote them in they get full control of everything, even all that stuff they never once mentioned in a manifesto.
  • Bremenacht 26 Jun 2013 00:38:02 18,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is true! It's labelled a protest vote. Enough people say 'I am voting this way because of this one issue' and a big party might change tack to grab those voters. People won't though, because they've always voted Labour or Tories.

Also, people voted a Green MP in.
  • Bremenacht 26 Jun 2013 14:40:45 18,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    More stuff

Ecuador.
    Republican in-fighting.
    Lies to congress.
    Obama ducks.
  • Bremenacht 26 Jun 2013 14:47:50 18,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First Mud

< User19> is it unethical to report on the government's intrigue?
    < TheTrueHOOHA> VIOLATING NATIONAL SECURITY? no
    < User19> meh.
    < User19> national security.
    < TheTrueHOOHA> Um, YEEEEEEEEEEEES.
    < TheTrueHOOHA> that shit is classified for a reason
    < TheTrueHOOHA> moreover, who the fuck are the anonymous sources telling them this?
    < TheTrueHOOHA> those people should be shot in the balls.
    :/
  • Fab4 26 Jun 2013 18:30:06 6,083 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MTI is so 2009

Its funny that even Shami Chakrabarti knew about it in 2009 and it never triggered the mass hysteria.
  • Bremenacht 26 Jun 2013 18:43:39 18,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It never got off the ground, did it? Because the ISPs rallied against black boxes in their equipment?
  • Bremenacht 26 Jun 2013 18:44:39 18,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And yes -if it's the same thing I'm thinking of- there was a fuss about it.
  • Bremenacht 26 Jun 2013 18:49:43 18,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reference to it in here, I think:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17582974

The 'mass hysteria' as you put it, is because the US has already done it without any public knowledge. The UK propositions have all been in parliament at some stage, giving you the chance to tell your MP you're not happy.
  • shamblemonkee 26 Jun 2013 19:07:58 14,395 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What did people think the NSA and GCHQ were doing if not this? Echelon has been known about for ages and ages this is pretty much an extension on that policy.

please note i'm not casting any judgement on the activities just a statement of what / how people expected these intelligence agencies ot get their information without things like this being in place?
  • mcmothercruncher 27 Jun 2013 08:33:52 7,084 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I looked up Equador, just to see what the fuss was about, it looked like the shit. I can see why so many run there.

Is Assange still in the Ecuadorian embassy? What is his plan d'ya think? I mean, he's going to have to die there, huh?
  • Load_2.0 27 Jun 2013 09:22:26 19,296 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Interesting press stories, intelligence gathering set back 10 years. Terrorists to stop using Skype and Facebook!

Yeah.

"Dear Ahmed, waaaaaasssuuuuuuuuuuuup!!!!!! check out this cat it looks totally grumpy dude! PS the TNT arrives at 11am, parked in Durham Tesco in a red Golf."
  • Bremenacht 30 Jun 2013 23:52:44 18,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :/
  • grey_matters 3 Jul 2013 06:43:11 3,763 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    France and Portugal have reportedly blocked Evo Morales' plane from using their airspace based on the notion that Snowdon was onboard. This seems a bit fucked up.

Edited by grey_matters at 06:44:05 03-07-2013
  • Deleted user 3 July 2013 06:55:14
    Surprised a bigger deal isn't being made about what he's revealed. Why aren't those responsible under investigation?
  • Benno 3 Jul 2013 07:37:41 9,906 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A bigger deal hasn't been made because people generally don't really care. People are too comfortable to protest for change. Only when the carpet beneath you starts to pull away do people take to the streets.
  • ChronoTravis 5 Jul 2013 00:03:32 145 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I guess this is why France is not granting Snowden asylum:

France 'has vast data surveillance' - Le Monde report
    "France's reforeign intelligence service intercepts computer and telephone data on a vast scale, like the controversial US Prism programme, according to the French daily Le Monde."

Edited by ChronoTravis at 00:04:56 05-07-2013
  • sirtacos 5 Jul 2013 10:42:51 7,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    A bigger deal hasn't been made because people generally don't really care. People are too comfortable to protest for change. Only when the carpet beneath you starts to pull away do people take to the streets.
    Good point. I consider myself firmly on the side of Snowdon from an ideological standpoint, except that he actually put his life on the line. I've done nothing of the sort. Aside from my whining here on EG, I haven't done anything about my so-called beliefs. I haven't even joined a club or participated in any protests. I just occasionally mouth off, but otherwise continue to live my life as a complacent Hindu cow.

I suspect, as you say, that it'll take something much more threatening/dramatic for the apathetic masses to actually rise up against The Man in something resembling our own Arab Spring.

Edited by sirtacos at 10:46:53 05-07-2013

Seeing the failure of the "99%"/Occupy movement doesn't help with disillusionment, either. Enacting change is an arduous process that takes time and sacrifice. Ain't nobody got time for dat

Edited by sirtacos at 10:50:41 05-07-2013
  • RobAnybody 11 Jul 2013 19:54:02 896 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    And the next reveal is this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data
  • Bremenacht 18 Jul 2013 21:19:55 18,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jimmy Carter: 'America has no functioning democracy' with PRISM.
  • TheRealBadabing 19 Aug 2013 22:28:16 1,314 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And now they are detaining the partners of journalists associated with Snowdon. For nine hours, just because they can.

Using anti-terrorism laws.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last