NSA surveillance whistleblower interviewed Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• mal 24 Jun 2013 13:33:16 22,341 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    A fleet of journalists thought Snowden was going to be on a 12 hour flight from Moscow to Havana and booked tickets and got aboard accordingly. Expect... Snowden isn't on the plane!
    Hah, numpties!

To be fair I've no idea where he's going or how, but I was pretty damn sure that itinerary they'd seen was a smokescreen.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Khanivor 24 Jun 2013 13:49:53 40,403 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's gonna take a few days talking to the Russians before he's ready to move on to the next customer.
  • Load_2.0 24 Jun 2013 13:55:51 18,952 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes comrade, this way to your suite, we will have much to talk about.
  • TarickStonefire 24 Jun 2013 13:55:55 2,905 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    "Hi, I'm the USA's most wanted man, last seen in Hong Kong. The USA have now branded me a spy and a traitor and have petulantly demanded the entire world turn me in so they can torture and incarcerate me, so I thought the best thing I could do was tell everyone exactly where I'll be going. Here, check out my flight itinerary.

See you there!"

... said no USA's Most Wanted Man ever.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:56:30 24-06-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Lamb 24 Jun 2013 14:00:15 472 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh god another guy given his 15 minutes of fame. Maybe we can see how many of them we can fit into the Ecudorian Embassy in London. Seriously more non-news that we already knew about.
  • TarickStonefire 24 Jun 2013 14:01:08 2,905 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    No but seriously. This is old nws. Anyone who bothered to pass more than a cursory glance at the Patriot Act has know that US federal government can request this information from any US company
    if there's suspicion of terrorlolism.

And since the definition of terrorism in the US is basically "We suspect you might have known someone who once retweeted a guy who has an image of a muslim on his facebookpage" that meant anyone.

The only shocking thing to come out of this mess is how little anyone cared when there wasn't a sexy "guy deserts his cozy life to blow some whistle" narrative to attach to it.

Im shocked and disgusted in equal measures.
    You seem to be forgetting that until this guy there was no identifiable person actually saying "This is the truth. This is what happens. I was doing it. It is fact. Here is evidence."

Rumour and conspiracy and theory and, yes, general common sense have all told us that this is what was happening, but this is the first time someone with an ounce of hands-on experience and credibility has stood up and said, "Yes it's all true, what you have all suspected. Let me show you how true."

That's new news.

Personally I'm in two minds. Firstly, while I have done many naughty things in my 30-odd years ranging from nicking dirty mags at 15 to buying and smoking weed, and downloading Batman movies, I don't think I've ever done anything remotely interesting to the feds of any nation and I don't care *what* they've harvested about me because I don't think they're remotely interested in it.

And if what they are harvesting is stopping serious acts of terrorism, that's good.

What I have a serious problem with, but which I know will never be stopped and will never go away, is the over-reaching abuse of power and gross hypocrisy the American government and security agencies demonstrate. They go on and fucking on about how their constitution protects their people, which is what it was written for, and then like you say they just obliterate every last protection by coming up with the Patriot Act.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, I leave that annoying habit to my wife, but 9/11 led to the USA giving themselves carte blanche, via murky legal backwaters, to have 100% total control over their people, and now they've got it I don't know where that will end.

They may say it prevents terrorism, but I bet it also helps them exert power over pretty much anything they likethat isn't remotely terror-related.

I know not just the US does this, I'm just picking on them because of their constant 'the constitution! the constitution!" cheer leading.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 14:07:53 24-06-2013

• TarickStonefire 24 Jun 2013 14:09:24 2,905 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lamb wrote:
    Oh god another guy given his 15 minutes of fame. Maybe we can see how many of them we can fit into the Ecudorian Embassy in London. Seriously more non-news that we already knew about.
    Oh you knew?

You *knew*?

Well why the fuck didn't you say?

Oh, you didn't know, you just suspected, as we all did.

But now we *know*.

Well, except you, you knew already. You're so big and strong and hard.

• Khanivor 24 Jun 2013 14:37:36 40,403 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2428809
  • Benno 24 Jun 2013 14:55:33 9,804 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Lamb wrote:
    Oh you knew?

You *knew*?

Well why the fuck didn't you say?

Oh, you didn't know, you just suspected, as we all did.

But now we *know*.

Well, except you, you knew already. You're so big and strong and hard.
    SHOTS FIRED
  • TarickStonefire 24 Jun 2013 15:05:37 2,905 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm sorry, that was typically Internet-confrontational of me.

I just think it's churlish to say that sort of thing - we all 'knew' we were being spied on, but getting the actual facts changes the conversation.

• Khanivor 24 Jun 2013 15:14:55 40,403 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Until congresscritters are voted in who are going to change the Patriot Act then it's all just theatre.

Saying that, when Al Franken says that what is being done us both needed and not evil I'm inclined to believe him. Not only is he in possession of facts but he has an impecable record on such matters.

I do wonder if Snowden will ever leave Russia. Fleeing to a gangster nation led by a former head of their security services seems an even more bizarro choice than HK.
  • RightBean 24 Jun 2013 15:17:22 636 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Well he's disappeared now, they probably killed him. And the public couldn't care less about these data gathering programs, it is yesterdays news. The only thing of interest now is him as a person and his little adventure. He should have kept his 200k job.
  • TheSaint 24 Jun 2013 15:18:08 14,201 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the flip side it would be hilarious if they are the country that end up extraditing him to the US.
  • Bremenacht 24 Jun 2013 15:37:52 17,614 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The odd thing about this is that the Western complaints about Chinese cyber-spying and IP theft now have very sympathy.

Chinese complaints that 'America does it too' now have a lot more credibility.

Well done the USA.
  • Lamb 24 Jun 2013 16:36:32 472 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes we all knew. Just turn on a damn pc and we knew. This really is non-news. No whats churlish is that you and the media expect me to believe this is somehow important. Are you looking to join an Ecuadorian bed and breakfast?

The only thing I didn't know about was how to spell Ecuador, and god bless them.

The nature of spying is to be incredibly good at it, and act on actionable information for the good of the majority what you say in your personal life whatever it is, is not relevant unless you are planning something to the detriment of the people.

So are you planning something?
  • Khanivor 24 Jun 2013 16:42:06 40,403 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think there's a difference between reading emails looking for people committing crimes and hacking into servers and stealing corporate and military secrets.

I wonder how scared Mr Snowden has been of his hosts. They could have lots of fun offering him nothing but cups of tea to drink.
  • Bremenacht 24 Jun 2013 17:07:16 17,614 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    I think there's a difference between reading emails looking for people committing crimes and hacking into servers and stealing corporate and military secrets.
    For sure, but what's worse? This is deliberate blue on blue from the bastion of individual freedom.

It really does seem quite strange that government and leading corporations show a high level of numptiness when it comes to protecting national assets against Chinese intrusion and theft, yet display amazing creativity and commitment to spying on their own people. Who's the enemy here? Us?
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jun 2013 17:08:56 43,301 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Do you suppose the US are not doing the latter, or not doing the former?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Bremenacht 24 Jun 2013 17:14:13 17,614 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You'll certainly hear a lot more Chinese accusations of US hackery now. And people will start to believe it.
  • Load_2.0 24 Jun 2013 17:17:29 18,952 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The problem is that while MI5 or the CIA might not give it shit if you mix your plastic and paper recycling or paid the right amount of tax the info is saved.

And at some point why not categorise it and 6 months later give access to Peter at Swindon Council or HMRC.
  • oceanmotion 24 Jun 2013 17:19:19 15,675 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Surprised they never found him.

Perhaps not like TV then.
  • Deleted user 24 June 2013 17:26:08
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    The problem is that while MI5 or the CIA might not give it shit if you mix your plastic and paper recycling or paid the right amount of tax the info is saved.

And at some point why not categorise it and 6 months later give access to Peter at Swindon Council or HMRC.
    If as a by-product of catching terrorists we also snare a few tax dodgers and lazy re-cyclers then Im all for it.
  • oceanmotion 24 Jun 2013 17:34:28 15,675 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:

I've always imagined they could have info on people as they grow up, embarassing stuff perhaps, use it against the person if they reach a prominent position in some field, particularly politics. You could quite easily manipulate someone to back your agenda. Think of all the stupid stuff people do on the internet, gold mine for powerful groups.

/Tin foil hat off

On the other side, the second they use that and it backfires, game over. Much like Google if they actually sold your personal info rather than targeted ads.
  • Fab4 24 Jun 2013 17:49:42 5,980 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Load_2.0

The data they collect is only saved for a short period of time. Even the meta-data. If its true that they are collecting shitloads** of the stuff, storing it becomes a physical impossibility, let alone processing it.

** Technical term.
  • razijaan 24 Jun 2013 18:53:08 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    http://www.visa2tour.com/?p=18486
    WASHINGTON (AP) The bizarre journey of Edward Snowden is far from over. After spending a night in Moscow's airport, the former National Security Agency contractor and admitted leaker of state secrets was expected to fly to Cuba and Venezuela en route to possible asylum in Ecuador.[link url=Put_link_here]Description_here[http://www.visa2tour.com/?p=18486]

Edited by razijaan at 18:53:49 24-06-2013
  • RightBean 24 Jun 2013 19:06:09 636 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I thought Obama was supposed to be good guys, why are they making this mans life hell? Just because they have the Patriot Act, which was rushed through congress at a time of national paranoia, doesn't make it right, I thought Obama was a thoughtful and moralistic man, then if so, he can understand Snowdens legitimate concerns, that he took a lot of risk and gave a comfortable job for what he felt was right, and they should let this man return home to his family.

Edited by RightBean at 19:07:54 24-06-2013
  • mal 24 Jun 2013 22:27:06 22,341 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh, Jay Carney's claim Hong Kong allowing him to fly will worsen China-US relations seems a bit small fry. Surely the leak that the NSA are hacking Chinese systems will upset relations just a little more.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 25 June 2013 08:49:04
    This subject has raised some serious concern in Germany - judging by two commentaries in Der Spiegel:

The Public Must Fight for its Right to Privacy

The fact that the Americans and the British -- it is yet to be revealed who else participated -- have granted themselves this enormous power, without ever informing their own people, is a scandal of historic proportions. To the initiated, all the recent public debate about data retention, Internet privacy and the practices of Facebook and Google must have been downright amusing. The state, as it turns out, knew everything all along.

That was precisely the goal, according to the head of the NSA, Lieutenant General Keith Alexander. "Why can't we collect all the signals all the time?" he asked in an internal document acquired by the Guardian. "Sounds like a good summer project for Menwith," he continued, referring to a GCHQ facility at Menwith Hill in northern England.
    German National Security Is at Stake

The totalitarianism of the security mindset protects itself with a sentence: If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. But firstly, that contains a presumption: We have not asked the NSA and GCHQ to "protect" us. And secondly, the sentence is a stupid one: Because we all have something to hide, whether it pertains to our private lives or to our business secrets.
  • TheRealBadabing 25 Jun 2013 09:17:26 1,283 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:

If as a by-product of catching terrorists we also snare a few tax dodgers and lazy re-cyclers then Im all for it.
    Or, to look at it another way:

"If as a by-product of having unprecedented control over every citizen's life, we also snare a few people with brown skin then yay!"
  • TheSaint 25 Jun 2013 09:20:27 14,201 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you suggesting that most lazy recyclers have brown skin?

Racist!
  • Page

of 5 First / Last