NSA surveillance whistleblower interviewed Page 5

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Next
  • DodgyPast 20 Aug 2013 04:00:02 8,549 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    And now they are detaining the partners of journalists associated with Snowdon. For nine hours, just because they can.

Using anti-terrorism laws.
    Who ever thought they'd use any of these laws to harass law abiding citizens who happen to publish anything they disapprove of?
  • Tonka 20 Aug 2013 06:52:51 21,362 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fucked Up

Let's fight those horrible islamists who just grab people off the streets for no reason at all and censor free speech by... grabbing people off the streets and censor free speech!

THAT'LL TEACH THEM!

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Bremenacht 20 Aug 2013 09:05:12 19,666 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ridiculous, isn't it. The bit about the Macbook is almost unbelievable.
  • Megapocalypse 20 Aug 2013 09:49:11 5,526 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I suspect this will end badly for someone, though I doubt it will be someone who deserves it.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 09:57:56 20-08-2013
  • Bremenacht 18 Oct 2013 12:42:08 19,666 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
  • Bremenacht 24 Oct 2013 23:13:51 19,666 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NSA monitored calls of 35 world leaders after US official handed over contacts

All over the news, so no surprises here. What I'm finding deeply ironic is how this is happening and is seen in Government as being largely Ok, and yet paranoia over the Chinese was rampant. Chinese kit in our telecoms networks! Chips made in China in our network equipment! Chinese stealing secrets!

Well, are we going to have uproar over American kit in our telecoms networks now, or US-designed stuff in our networks? How about devious Americans stealing commercial secrets?

Last last one is -of course- fine, because the UK keeps nothing from the Americans anyway, but European states may have a problem with it. The US stealing commercial plans, product designs, trade positions? Passing them onto US commercial interests? I'll have a good laugh if the EU mandates against US commercial espionage, and includes the UK in that for having an American hand up our arse.
  • TheSaint 24 Oct 2013 23:16:03 14,833 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Makes the press hacking Hugh Grant's phone look pretty trivial.
  • RightBean 24 Oct 2013 23:38:41 662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Bremenacht 7 Jan 2014 23:40:29 19,666 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NSA unable to deny spying on Congress
  • Bremenacht 27 Jan 2014 02:12:00 19,666 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Snowden alleges NSA were carrying out industrial espionage. He cannot prove intent of course, but it's no more or less likely than the allegations that the Chinese did the same thing. What stupid, careless cunts. Maybe European firms will start to distrust American kit now, fearing backdoor mechanisms. Maybe that's why the Americans prohibited so much Chinese kit - because they knew themselves how vulnerabilities can be included.

A few years ago, such ideas were definitely in the tin-foil-hat bracket. Now, they may even seem likely.

If this commercial espionage thing develops, I'd expect Airbus to pop up and talk of legal action of some sort. Damages.
  • MetalDog 27 Jan 2014 03:59:39 23,920 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• MetalDog 27 Jan 2014 04:09:43 23,920 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    *hits EG's mobile view with a hammer*

The 'tin foil hat' haha, ridiculous! stuff is almost certainly heavily encouraged by various governments to make accusations against them appear less credible.

The thing is, a brief glance at history shows that our government and the US government is regularly capable of really absurd, stupid, moustache-twirling evil, so I'm not sure why anyone ever trusts them without plentiful evidence that they're telling the truth - which is often absent.

I remember all the fuss about the 'Clipper Chip' back in Clinton's day. Basically a US agency back door that they wanted in every computer. People said 'no' - but why does anyone trust their systems? Their entire MO is 'we want, we take'.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Bremenacht 8 Feb 2014 21:34:25 19,666 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just watching 'Enemy of the State' (1998) at the moment. All the stuff about about surveillance must have seemed so far fetched at the time.
  • Pinky_Floyd 8 Feb 2014 21:45:52 8,396 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bremenacht Snap.  Also watching.  For the umpteenth time.
  • RightBean 8 Feb 2014 22:03:55 662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Let's face it most of us would take edward snowdens 200k surveilling job in hawaii if we were offered it tomorrow
  • faux-C 8 Feb 2014 22:06:07 9,653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RightBean wrote:
    Let's face it most of us would take edward snowdens 200k surveilling job in hawaii if we were offered it tomorrow
    and his girlfriend, tbh.
  • Bremenacht 20 Mar 2014 11:53:10 19,666 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Berners-Lee & Snowden TED talk, referencing Berners-Lee's calls for an Internet 'Bill of Rights'.

TED source.
  • Dougs 20 Mar 2014 12:14:53 69,542 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Interesting, cheers - will check that out
  • Bremenacht 24 Mar 2014 18:14:26 19,666 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Brace yourself: irony incoming.

N.S.A. Breached Chinese Servers Seen as Security Threat

The circle is complete!

Edited by Bremenacht at 18:14:36 24-03-2014
  • Bremenacht 20 May 2014 00:08:28 19,666 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    More.

I read that the Cisco CEO had complained directly to Obama about Cisco products being 'interfered with' prior to export, and this story describes the reason why.

Also, deep irony. Given the above, and the earlier information about industrial espionage against friendly countries, you'd think they'd keep quiet about the subject, but no - they've drawn attention to their own activities again, through smearing the Chinese.
  • Tom_Servo 5 Jun 2014 15:10:49 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Guardian launches secure whistleblower platform

Obviously there's stuff like this out there already, but it's interesting that a major news outlet has launched one.
  • Load_2.0 5 Jun 2014 15:59:13 19,681 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good! Next up scrap this private trial at the Old Bailey.
  • Khanivor 5 Jun 2014 16:03:32 41,297 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:

Obviously there's stuff like this out there already, but it's interesting that a major news outlet has launched one.
    Saves money in having investigative journalists go out there and find the stories, I suppose. Pretty canny, really.

I just hope they are also spending money on the very best for their own corporate security.
  • Tom_Servo 5 Jun 2014 16:38:58 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:

Saves money in having investigative journalists go out there and find the stories, I suppose. Pretty canny, really.

I just hope they are also spending money on the very best for their own corporate security.
    Some of these stories obviously can't be 'found' though. Whistleblowers have always been around, they unlock the stories journalists can't necessarily reach (or even know the existence of). Odd thing to say.

The platform is something already launched, it's not a proprietary Guardian platform (and it's not based in the UK, the article goes into a fair amount of detail about it at all to obviously try and assail any fears a whistleblower would have about using it).

All news outlets will have to try and secure their systems as best they can these days. Wasn't even that long ago that there was a story about computers being accessed at some American TV news outlet.
  • DrStrangelove 4 Jul 2014 17:03:11 4,676 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So. After it has been revealed some time ago that the NSA records everything they can about every single German, including the head of government, they were so generous to say that they won't spy on the head of government anymore. After repeated offences, Germany founded a board of enquiry to analyse the extent of NSA surveillance. Yesterday it has been revealed that Germans are targeted as "extremists" who simply tried to encrypt their data. Today, a German intelligence guy revealed that he was spying out the NSA enquiry committee for the NSA.

The question slowly becomes inevitable even for established parties and government: are we to consider the USA friend or foe? Our so-called allies don't seem to consider us friends.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:06:57 04-07-2014
  • fletch7100 5 Jul 2014 13:02:54 7,446 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://news.sky.com/story/1295455/germany-holds-double-agent-who-spied-for-us
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Next