NSA surveillance whistleblower interviewed

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • RobAnybody 10 Jun 2013 13:50:02 890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Meet Edward Snowden:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/edward-snowden-nsa-whistleblower-surveillance
  • TheHammerite 10 Jun 2013 14:58:23 1,511 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fucking hero
  • Shikasama 10 Jun 2013 15:01:40 6,741 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a bit awkward that he states very early he doesn't want it all to be made about him and then the Guardian goes and does exactly that.
  • Khanivor 10 Jun 2013 15:02:39 40,520 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye, bravely revealed to the world what was already suspected and is totally legal and ruined his life in the process.

Methinks he's going to regret his actions after the sycophantic adulation of the more 'enthusiastic' parts of the Internet wears off.

Edited by Khanivor at 15:03:21 10-06-2013
  • Chopsen 10 Jun 2013 15:05:51 15,848 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not *really* surprising though, is it? I would never trust anything even vaguely sensitive to my google account, or my dropbox account for that matter. If I don't physically control where something is kept and/or know that I control the encryption, I'm assuming someone else can read it. Fuck off clouds!
  • Khanivor 10 Jun 2013 15:07:20 40,520 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also, his reasons forchoosing Hong Kong as his place to hide are baffling, to say the least. They suggest he is not nearly as tuned in as he thinks he is.
  • LeoliansBro 10 Jun 2013 15:08:16 43,743 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Aye, bravely revealed to the world what was already suspected and is totally legal and ruined his life in the process.
    That's a little bit of a stretch.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Progguitarist 10 Jun 2013 15:10:20 10,420 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The "legality" of it doesn't make it morally acceptable though, does it?
  • TarickStonefire 10 Jun 2013 15:19:37 3,035 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:

Methinks he's going to regret his actions after the sycophantic adulation of the more 'enthusiastic' parts of the Internet wears off.
    He does say how he fully expects to be annihilated by the US government one way or another. I don't think he did it for the adulation, or has been blinded by it at all.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 10 Jun 2013 15:20:54 3,035 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    It's a bit awkward that he states very early he doesn't want it all to be made about him and then the Guardian goes and does exactly that.
    Actually he says he thinks we have a right to know who he is and why he's done it. And he went to the Guardian and explicitly asked them to name him and interview him, so that we may know those things.

• TarickStonefire 10 Jun 2013 15:23:17 3,035 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Part of me thinks he's a plant, sent to 'leak' this stuff to draw attention away from far, far worse things happening.

Not really. Well... maybe. Where's that ninja chap when you need him, isn't he into all that conspiracy stuff?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 15:23:44 10-06-2013

• Deleted user 10 June 2013 15:27:56
    If you havent got anything to hide whats to worry about?

Nothing I do online would be of any interest to anyone.
  • disusedgenius 10 Jun 2013 15:29:54 5,272 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    /steals Alipan's curtains
  • Benno 10 Jun 2013 15:33:52 9,840 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alipan wrote:

If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to worry about? I dont think thats a good argument for a surveillance state
  • Khanivor 10 Jun 2013 15:38:57 40,520 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @LeoliansBro - but it is. It may not be cool but it is legal.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2013 15:39:34
    Whilst i dispair at the news and media sometimes, its great in the last couple of days this as come up, the manning court case in america, and the exposure of lobbying (ok it is kind of pathetic compared to what goes on at capitol hill) in uk politics. Nice to know that some people do care about us.
  • Load_2.0 10 Jun 2013 15:41:55 19,130 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alipan wrote:

Nothing was interesting about a Brazilain Electrician, didn't stop him being shot in the head by the police.

Problem is that mistakes get made by authorities.

By the time they get sorted out you have been properly fucked over.
  • Chopsen 10 Jun 2013 15:44:15 15,848 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're not doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to hide.

so why weren't the government up-front and open about how they were monitoring people and using PRISM? What have they got to hide?
  • Shikasama 10 Jun 2013 15:51:15 6,741 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    Actually he says he thinks we have a right to know who he is and why he's done it. And he went to the Guardian and explicitly asked them to name him and interview him, so that we may know those things.
    ...I know, I read it. He also says that he is worried that the media will make it all about him because they like to personalise political debates and the Guardian goes and does exactly that for the rest of the article.
  • RedSparrows 10 Jun 2013 15:56:33 22,256 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alipan wrote:

This fatuous argument always gets trotted out, and rests on (among others) a crucial assumption: that you are immune to being treated badly because, at this point in time, you have done nothing that can be defined as being 'wrong'.

Edited by RedSparrows at 15:59:06 10-06-2013
  • Humperfunk 10 Jun 2013 15:57:21 2,089 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hmmm, this guy is alright, but he's no Julian Snausage!

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 10 June 2013 16:00:31
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Part of me thinks he's a plant, sent to 'leak' this stuff to draw attention away from far, far worse things happening.

Not really. Well... maybe. Where's that ninja chap when you need him, isn't he into all that conspiracy stuff?
    I'm not sure it gets much worse than secretly spying on innocent civilians within your own country.
  • Puppaz 10 Jun 2013 16:02:09 323 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got nothing hiding up my ass, but I doubt I'd enjoy regular cavity searches.
    Then again...
  • Deleted user 10 June 2013 16:02:16
    Recent not announced is a lot of people donít like it (obvious I know!)

Like I say Im not one of them. I always ask that question ĎIf Ive down nothing wrong what have I got to worry aboutí and have never really had a decent answer. Some people try and say itís the first step in some Orwellian scheme but Im not so sure.

Charles de Menezes (spelling?) incident was unfortunate but a case of mistaken identity. I can live with the odds of that happening to me.

On the flip side I thought it was good that the Boston Marathon bombers were caught on CCTV.

Personally if I was going to a public place up in London for example, I would feel more comfortable knowing there was CCTV surveillance there.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2013 16:05:33
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Alipan wrote:

This fatuous argument always gets trotted out, and rests on (among others) a crucial assumption: that you are immune to being treated badly because, at this point in time, you have done nothing that can be defined as being 'wrong'.
    And it's not about that anyway, if you've done nothing wrong then why should anyone be monitoring everything you do? It's naive to think that nothing could be done with the information that is damaging, not necessarily to the individual but to groups and society as a whole.

As elected (both directly and indirectly) officials, it's a power they shouldn't have over the electorate.
  • Benno 10 Jun 2013 16:10:44 9,840 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    Recent not announced is a lot of people donít like it (obvious I know!)

Like I say Im not one of them. I always ask that question ĎIf Ive down nothing wrong what have I got to worry aboutí and have never really had a decent answer. Some people try and say itís the first step in some Orwellian scheme but Im not so sure.

Charles de Menezes (spelling?) incident was unfortunate but a case of mistaken identity. I can live with the odds of that happening to me.

On the flip side I thought it was good that the Boston Marathon bombers were caught on CCTV.

Personally if I was going to a public place up in London for example, I would feel more comfortable knowing there was CCTV surveillance there.
    I liked this comment (warning: its from reddit)

http://www.reddit.com/r/changemyview/comments/1fv4r6/i_believe_the_government_should_be_allowed_to/caeb3pl?context=3

Edited by Benno at 16:10:52 10-06-2013
  • Deleted user 10 June 2013 16:19:27
    Would like to read it but unfortunately work block that website..
  • Megapocalypse 10 Jun 2013 16:28:08 5,382 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    I am a police officer. Some of the work I have done in the past and will likely go on to do in the future has involved low level non-intrusive surveillance of people. I would hate to have it done to me, and I would say 'I have nothing to hide'.

Anyone who advocates more intrusive level of surveillance carried out on everyone, all the time, is a fucking spacker in my books.
  • TheRealBadabing 10 Jun 2013 16:33:47 1,299 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alipan wrote:On the flip side I thought it was good that the Boston Marathon bombers were caught on CCTV.

But with all this electronic snooping and CCTVs all over the place, they still didn't stop Boston or some poor soldier getting killed in broad daylight. Allowed the criminals to be caught a bit easier but I'm unsure how all the surveillance made anyone safer.
  • ModishNouns 10 Jun 2013 16:37:47 4,655 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wonder what difference, if any, it would make if the US had an Official Secrets Act. Or if we didn't.

Had he been in this country, what he did would be quite clearly illegal and he would have signed a declaration that he understood that when he was hired. He would still have been free to blow the whistle, of course, with a known "cost" of prosecution, but to say that he wouldn't be a criminal would be wrong.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous