Fable 3 Free Download Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Red_Bool 12 Jun 2013 22:24:10 1,173 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kipper - weird, I could download it from the Dutch xbox site on Monday. It's even on the dashboard right now.
  • RedSparrows 16 Jun 2013 23:21:24 22,779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My gf is caning this, and I've played/watched a lot with her. I think it's my fav Fable, although not got to the second 'half' yet. Aurora is an abrupt change, but a very interesting one.
  • RedSparrows 17 Jun 2013 15:45:33 22,779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So my GF is now on the second 'half'. I googled the mechanics as I heard bad things.

People whining over nothing, sheesh. I get that the game could be dramatically shortened by innocently skipping through some things, but she's off buying houses, killing gnomes, doing quests, all in her own good time.

When that content runs out, sure, then the game'll sag - then she can finish it off. But isn't that true for any game? The mechanics are ugly and a bit crude, but the narrative is alright (in purely game terms), and she's still loving Albion.

Edited by RedSparrows at 15:46:05 17-06-2013
  • sanctusmortis 22 Jun 2013 16:48:42 9,631 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After playing the first two Fable games, this truly is an abomination, though. The awful two-button system for interaction pales compares to the Fable 2 system, as do jobs. The Road to Rule is an awful mechanic too.

Anyway, my son wants to play this too, but he only has a silver account. Could I just give him a 2-day Gold code and download it?
  • CharlieStCloud 22 Jun 2013 17:42:35 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah.

Think Mr. Red Sparrow in a different thread says there is very little one would moan about in regards to Fable III however, I honestly think nearly everything has taken a step backwards ... even the visuals are quite poor in places.

Feels simplified and the conversation choice and general interaction is quite childlike.

Doubt I will plough on to finish the story, especially after hearing the awful 'end game' mechanics.

... whose daft idea was that?!
  • Deleted user 22 June 2013 17:57:58
    My lads been playing it and it's really quite crappy from what I've seen (although he seems to enjoy it). Can't grumble for free but still glad I never bothered with it up until it was released gratis.
  • Deckard1 22 Jun 2013 17:58:55 28,096 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's shite
  • thefilthandthefury 22 Jun 2013 21:27:11 25,029 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm playing this free copy of Fable III that Microsoft gave away last week. Why the hell is the framerate so shoddy?!? Good god...
  • Deleted user 23 June 2013 00:13:06
    It's just awful. I know I love to exaggerate but there is no mediocre about it, it is just shite. Awful, awful game.
  • RedSparrows 23 Jun 2013 01:02:22 22,779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Christ. Did it fuck your mums?

No, it's not brilliant, but i have enjoyed it so far, and my gf has done so, thoroughly.
  • Riven326 23 Jun 2013 01:20:28 41 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I actually enjoyed Fable 3 more than Fable 2. I know, it isn't the popular opinion to have, but there it is. That said, Fable: TLC on the PC is still my favorite. :-)

Xbox Live: Riven326
    Steam: Riven326

• convercide 23 Jun 2013 12:30:22 6,038 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, it's not awful. I was more annoyed by the early game breaking bugs and glitches it was released with. My main character still can't exit the Sanctuary, I can only fast travel out of there. I remember the first weapon flit switch not triggering Jasper's conversation and also the silent Jasper glitch. How it got released without them taking any feedback from their QA dept. It just shows how much it was rushed out for release.

The game itself isn't too bad. It's just I experienced nearly pre-patch issue which made it less enjoyable when I did play it.

If I started it again now it might not be so bad.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Syrette 23 Jun 2013 12:38:54 43,532 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not that bad if you ask me, I've never understood the hate it gets and can't comprehend how someone could like Fable 2 and yet find this so drastically different that it's "awful, awful shite" etc.

• DUFFMAN5 23 Jun 2013 12:55:08 14,701 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    It's not that bad if you ask me, I've never understood the hate it gets and can't comprehend how someone could like Fable 2 and yet find this so drastically different that it's "awful, awful shite" etc.
    Agree. Albion still has a lot to offer on III.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• CharlieStCloud 23 Jun 2013 13:00:21 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fable II was simply a brilliant game in its own right.

Fable III took away lots of things that made the sequel so good and decided to simplify every little thing going ... as well as being, and still is to this day, one of the buggiest games I have played. I had to reload to an old save a shy over ninety minutes ago simply because I could not leave a particular building.

... and that was post patch!

I thoroughly enjoyed scrolling around the world and the odd (British) character or two made me laugh however, on a cohesive whole, it was a fairly giant step backwards. To this day, I still believe Fable II is one of the very best game on the Xbox 360 whereas Fable III is one of the most disappointing.

It is not 'awful' or 'shite'. I'd say it was relatively passable and slightly forgettable.
  • Riven326 23 Jun 2013 19:14:14 41 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Fable II was simply a brilliant game in its own right.

Fable III took away lots of things that made the sequel so good and decided to simplify every little thing going ... as well as being, and still is to this day, one of the buggiest games I have played. I had to reload to an old save a shy over ninety minutes ago simply because I could not leave a particular building.

... and that was post patch!

I thoroughly enjoyed scrolling around the world and the odd (British) character or two made me laugh however, on a cohesive whole, it was a fairly giant step backwards. To this day, I still believe Fable II is one of the very best game on the Xbox 360 whereas Fable III is one of the most disappointing.

It is not 'awful' or 'shite'. I'd say it was relatively passable and slightly forgettable.
    The only thing I can think of that is over-simplified is the interaction between the hero and Albion's citizens. I would argue that not enough improvements were made in Fable III to warrant a sequel. But if you think that everything was made worse, please list some examples.

• RedSparrows 23 Jun 2013 19:53:03 22,779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's by no means a very developed sequel, but I actually prefer it to II. The story is slightly more interesting.
  • thefilthandthefury 23 Jun 2013 20:11:31 25,029 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm about six hours in and I'm not HATING it, but compared to the second game it's such a let down. So much has been removed, or simplified, that it's bonkers. The story is dull as dishwater (so far) and I just don't care about the world whatsoever any more. It also feels slapped together in about five minutes, with terrible graphics, animation... ah I could go on.

I'm being too negative though... as I said, I don't hate the game. The combat being so simple is actually quite good and you get into a nice, soothing, rhythm... especially as I try to stick with ranged weapons. It can still be quite humorous at times too.
  • RedSparrows 23 Jun 2013 20:18:18 22,779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To my eyes it's Fable II with a new story and less choice of expressions (considering I never used most in Fable II, makes no difference to me).

I simply don't get the ire, but there we are.
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Jun 2013 20:20:18 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I did not necessarily say 'everything was made worse' ... think you are toying with my words a tiny bit there.

The story wasn't as grand and I found myself not caring about many of the characters; firmly believe that the original had the best story, and even the sequel had the whole Spire plot, which was interesting and a motivational factor in seeing the game to the end.

Fable III is devoid of that and has been scaled down on quite a fair few things from the story, menus (or lack of), items and characters. You also found yourself fighting against the same handful of enemies at varying levels of difficulty throughout the entire game whereas the creatures in Fable II were more original and interesting, like they each had their own little side story.

I guess I felt that Fable II was more of an adventure with a hefty dash of RPG elements whilst Fable III is an adventure with the very lightest sprinkling of RPG mechanics.

The co-op is much better in this one though, no doubt about that!

Like I have already concluded, it is not 'awful' or 'shite'. I'd say it was relatively passable and slightly forgettable.
  • Riven326 23 Jun 2013 21:45:25 41 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    I did not necessarily say 'everything was made worse' ... think you are toying with my words a tiny bit there.

The story wasn't as grand and I found myself not caring about many of the characters; firmly believe that the original had the best story, and even the sequel had the whole Spire plot, which was interesting and a motivational factor in seeing the game to the end.

Fable III is devoid of that and has been scaled down on quite a fair few things from the story, menus (or lack of), items and characters. You also found yourself fighting against the same handful of enemies at varying levels of difficulty throughout the entire game whereas the creatures in Fable II were more original and interesting, like they each had their own little side story.

I guess I felt that Fable II was more of an adventure with a hefty dash of RPG elements whilst Fable III is an adventure with the very lightest sprinkling of RPG mechanics.

The co-op is much better in this one though, no doubt about that!

Like I have already concluded, it is not 'awful' or 'shite'. I'd say it was relatively passable and slightly forgettable.
    Well, when you said everything had been simplified, I thought it was in a negative connotation. I if I was wrong or you feel I misquoted you, I apologize.

I actually liked the menus in Fable III and thought they were an improvement over Fable II's menus that seemed to drag and slow down too often. But I can see why some would not like the fundamental change in design.

The creatures you fought in Fable II were the same creates you fought in the original Fable. In fact, I can't think of a single new enemy introduced in Fable II. So, I don't think a lack of new enemies or enemy variety is a fair criticism towards Fable III in particular. However, I do think it would be fair to criticize the series as a whole for lacking enemy variety and not introducing enough new enemies with each sequel.

Fable III was more of an adventure game than it's predecessors, which were more on the RPG side of the spectrum. I think it's fair to say you don't like the direction the series went in with Fable III. I would agree that the adventure and story were forgettable, and that is a big problem for any game that is trying to tell an epic tale.

I didn't like the co-op in Fable II and I only played the co-op in Fable III for about ten minutes. But from what I did play, I thought it was miles better.

• JiveHound 23 Jun 2013 21:55:51 2,448 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No new enemies introduced in 2 so the same criticism can't be levelled at the next iteration?

Are you clinically insane?

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Darth_Flibble 23 Jun 2013 22:08:03 1,700 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fable 3 felt horribly simplified, have to agree with CharlieStCloud and flithandfury, didn't hate it as I did for the fable kinect shit game
  • JiveHound 23 Jun 2013 22:24:41 2,448 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is was a big step back. The reason it gets a lot of ire I would assume is because of the series lofty ambitions to begin with.

Fable 3 really dialled it back, nerfed the combat and its progression tree, was a glitchy mess and its pupported endgame was hamstrung by currency.

Shite by any measure.

• Riven326 23 Jun 2013 22:44:17 41 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    No new enemies introduced in 2 so the same criticism can't be levelled at the next iteration?

Are you clinically insane?
    Do you always jump to conclusions so naturally?

On it's own? Yes, it's a fair criticism. But we were talking about more than just Fable III. We were comparing the previous games as well. Since the series has always had an issue with enemy variety, I think it's more fair to criticize the series rather than just one game. The person I quoted seems to believe that there was more variety in Fable II anyway. I think he's wrong.

• JiveHound 23 Jun 2013 22:49:06 2,448 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I get your point but I think it is fair to criticise the continued lack of variety if it hasn't been addressed.

• Riven326 23 Jun 2013 22:57:45 41 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    I get your point but I think it is fair to criticise the continued lack of variety if it hasn't been addressed.
    Fair enough.

• FabricatedLunatic 23 Jun 2013 23:51:58 13,014 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Full disclosure: I'm not the biggest Fable fan. I finished the first one and thought it was okay, and abandoned the second one half way through. But I can't get into Fable III at all. Not only is it horrible to play with the washed out colours, the motion blur, the tearing, the constant framerate drops, but I feel no investment whatsoever in the world or characters.

The Angry Joe video covers more or less everything that's wrong with Fable 3, and is far more entertaining than the game itself. I didn't even know how to manually save until I watched it, nor why I couldn't press a button to access my inventory, nor that I wasn't supposed to have a health/magic meter. Jaysus.
  • HelloNo 24 Jun 2013 00:03:36 1,119 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The save function was never mentioned, but it is right in the the main room.

And the other stuff wasn't blindlingly obvious, really?

Definitely not the greatest game ever - especially the way it tricks you with time in the endgame, but there was plenty to like for me.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last