Les Revenants (the returned)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Immaterial 9 Jun 2013 21:51:37 1,326 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    French series on C4 about people coming back from the dead. Not really full on 'braaaaiins'  mode yet, but it's off to a nice nerve jangling start.  plus,  it's free child so there's a moderate to high chance of smut.
    Anyone else watching? I know the subtitles might put folk off,  but it's a good slow burner.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• neilka 9 Jun 2013 21:53:27 15,831 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tell me more of this free child
  • Immaterial 9 Jun 2013 21:55:32 1,326 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    how did autocorrect change "french"  to "free child"?

WHAT HAVE I DONE?

• INSOMANiAC 9 Jun 2013 22:10:34 3,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just watched the first episode, started off a bit slow but I thought it was pretty good by the end, I'll be certainly watching the rest. The amount of adverts was a farce though, I'll be downloading the rest

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 22:10:56 09-06-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Load_2.0 9 Jun 2013 22:24:25 19,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Watched it, enjoyable but hoping for a bit of forward momentum next week.
  • AaronTurner 9 Jun 2013 22:48:10 7,669 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The music is by Mogwai if that makes anyone more interested.
  • M83J01P97 9 Jun 2013 22:51:03 6,570 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You won't get any if my friend is to be believed. He lives over in France and gave up after three episoded due not very much happening at all.
  • MightyMouse 10 Jun 2013 01:09:41 1,127 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah it's got early Lost WTF factor. I'd be impressed, but surprised it if ever formed a satisfying story.
  • GuiltySpark 10 Jun 2013 06:23:06 6,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    The music is by Mogwai if that makes anyone more interested.
    I listened to it on Spotify a bit ago, really good stuff from what I remember.

Get bent.

• souvlaki 10 Jun 2013 08:37:56 717 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've watched the entire season and really liked it. Mogwai helps make the atmosphere and whilst it is never all out action, it didn't drag for me. Looking forward to Season 2 next year.
  • ram 11 Jun 2013 10:32:36 3,476 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I watched the first episode last night, thought it was great. I enjoyed the slow thoughtful and character driven pace. Mogwai are marvellous, especially the song at the end for the credits.

The photography and visual style reminded me of Let The Right One In.
  • warlockuk 11 Jun 2013 23:14:10 19,142 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck the 4oD app is terrible for this - on my TV the screensaver kicks in every 10 mins. How many fucking ADS does this fucker make you watch? (Even moreso when the app craps out)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• souljah 11 Jun 2013 23:18:28 4,701 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Fuck the 4oD app is terrible for this - on my TV the screensaver kicks in every 10 mins. How many fucking ADS does this fucker make you watch? (Even moreso when the app craps out)
    It really is brutal. I get more satisfaction watching my microwave than 4oD - at least brain cancer is better than yetanotherfuckingadvert.
  • GuiltySpark 12 Jun 2013 02:13:21 6,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only seen the first episode, but it is beautifully directed.

There's something that's so elegantly simple about it, and coupled with the Mogwai score and the desaturated colour tone, it creates something really surreal. The cinematography reminded me of Brick or Drive, those slow, purposeful and lingering movements (the shot of Camille's family towards the end, with Jerome looking out of the window, was fantastic). It's seemingly in no rush, and that's really refreshing.

Overall, meh/10

Get bent.

• Pynchon 12 Jun 2013 13:29:35 114 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You lucky people. I saw the first season of this earlier this year so I've already endured a 6 month wait for season 2 (due in 2014...).

It's quite consistently excellent all the way through, and easily one of the best things I've seen in ages.
  • Immaterial 28 Jul 2013 22:09:47 1,326 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, if anyone else was still watching this, it was as confusing as fuck.

• YoshiMcTaggis 28 Jul 2013 22:11:18 2,910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why did they not take the guy's brother? PLOT HOLE
  • The-Bodybuilder 28 Jul 2013 22:35:52 14,114 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm sure they don't care for a serial killer.

I'm genuinely surprised this show isn't more popular, as it really should be. Beautifully directed, nicely written character-driven show. Utterly loved season 1.

Though I have this "heroes" worry that its really built for 1 season, 2 most. Can't see it stretching beyond that.
  • Whizzo 28 Jul 2013 22:53:40 43,061 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not sure Serge is the same as the rest of them any more, more of a ghost than what the others are.

Still haven't really got too much of a clue what is really going on but I'm enjoying it and look forward to the next season.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Load_2.0 28 Jul 2013 23:20:33 19,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, lovely to watch but will I care in 2014?
  • Dr.Haggard 28 Jul 2013 23:47:16 4,159 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great episode tonight. To be honest I'd rather they had just wrapped up a few more loose ends and left it at one series. Loved the idea of them coming for them, that scene was excellent.
  • Waffleaber 29 Jul 2013 09:38:13 388 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great stuff in season one, well fleshed out characters and beautifully shot but....why can't I the Lost vibe this is giving me? The one where there's a simple mystery that gradually gets buried beneath a hundred smaller questions.

I hope I'm wrong and they've written a definite end and all the questions raised are all part of the bigger picture but the burn from Lost and Heroes still stings.
  • TheBlackDog 29 Jul 2013 23:13:08 383 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Just caught the last episode of this - its been said already (Lost and Heroes). Music is great, Victor is nicely creepy, plenty to like about it, but what a let-down. Style won over substance. IF there is a story (won't bet on their being one), its going to be very strung out.

And I seriously object to the wankiest plot-hole in the whole season: hand prints all over the back of the car parked on the dam. If I understood it right, it was the undead horde come for little Victor. But they were too weak too get in the car and take him. Bravo little Victor - you're the little zombie who could.

Funny how it gets crapper towards the end of the season - I was had.
  • Deleted user 13 August 2013 00:15:17
    Without looking at the rest of the page, beyond the posts dated 12th of june or so, i just watched the first episode.

Thought it was great, really impressed. How fucked up would that be if that happened in real life? What i found refreshing was the reactions of the people who lost those loved ones, but how them coming back really turns the screw on peoples lifes. Its pretty screwed up, having a full family again in the case of camille, and when fredric (?) hears that his unborn daughter is born when going back home etc.

the photography , soundtrack and script was pretty good. You're such a knob in the first few lines of the episode made me laugh.
  • Deleted user 23 August 2013 14:48:08
    I just finished the season, really enjoyed it. Thought it was great, some well drawn characters i cared for, great music, cinematography, and subltey. I really enjoyed it for what it did do , rather than didn't. Which really does rile up the tension.

The last couple of episode although good, i also felt the heroes/lost thing as well (although lost i thought was fantastic most of the time, even in series 5). But i'm willing to over look that because there were no sort of hints at all to what is happening, which makes me think they have a clear idea of what they are going to do. If that makes sense.

Pierre obviously knows something, so i think some answers are pretty close, and might be revealed in season 2 early on.

Really looking forward to next year.

Edited by joelstinton at 14:49:21 23-08-2013
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next