Gaming's Biggest Fallacies Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • Widge Moderator 10 Jun 2013 16:36:11 13,593 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think cut-scenes in particular are actually anti-immersive. They take me out of the game. I hate them.
    I found that in Deus Ex, when the graphics in the cutscenes were significantly lower quality than what I had been playing in real time.

Terrible.

Usually they are some dark, foggy room with hideous macroblocking... and then the game engine kicks in and suddenly everything is crisp and awesome.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• DrStrangelove 10 Jun 2013 16:38:12 3,986 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I think cut-scenes in particular are actually anti-immersive. They take me out of the game. I hate them.
    I found that in Deus Ex, when the graphics in the cutscenes were significantly lower quality than what I had been playing in real time.
    Do you play on PC? I think it's quite frequent there. Game in 1080p60/whatever, and then the cutscenes are the same as in the console versions.
  • Widge Moderator 10 Jun 2013 16:42:21 13,593 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Do you play on PC? I think it's quite frequent there. Game in 1080p60/whatever, and then the cutscenes are the same as in the console versions.
    Yep. I found it the same on ME2&3's little cutscene segments too, like the citadel docking of the Normandy.

I'd much rather some sort of hi-res video patch or something. Or just to put it as hi-res as default.

I don't think I abhor cutscenes but, as with other contentious mechanics like QTE, they have to be used appropriately and implemented well. Or not at all.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next