Down to earth RPG?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • coastal 7 Jun 2013 22:43:39 5,382 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I fancy playing an RPG where travelling on long quests is bit brutal - not in the monsters kind of way but being forced to hunt for food along the way. It doesn't have to be big on quests and magic but more about the harsh environment the user is placed in. I've read a bit about unrealworld but that does look a bit too bloody harsh and low-bit. Any suggestions?

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• jamievilla 7 Jun 2013 22:46:56 510 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't Starve? Not quite the same thing but sounds like it might be good for you?
  • coastal 7 Jun 2013 22:52:37 5,382 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    yeah i'll take a look, I just saw it in this wikipedia page - looks like what i'm describing is roguelike games. Never heard of the term tbh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_roguelike_video_games

• Kanjin 7 Jun 2013 23:00:23 1,084 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you're after roguelikes there's the old ones such as Nethack and ADOM.
  • mrharvest 8 Jun 2013 16:10:44 5,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UnReal World.
  • neems 8 Jun 2013 20:48:18 1,206 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Stalker games? Yes they are FPSes, but they have certain RPG-like qualities, and they are definitely about survival - especially with mods.
  • coastal 12 Jun 2013 23:05:49 5,382 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    #2 in my rpg requirements: when i start out my character won't know shit. That means when i pick a plant i get to name it, taste it and note what it's good for. May be later when i met a wise old woman she'll tell me the local names for plants and that'll replace the names I've given them. But what I'm not is a walking botanical encyclopaedia - looking at you, Far Cry 3. Skyrim came close but really I shouldn't know the name of a plant until my character's read it or been told better.

I don't know where this going but feel free to add.. I might nick the lot and do a kickstarter. :-)

• mrharvest 13 Jun 2013 06:03:37 5,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seriously, UnReal World isn't that tough and it's donationware at the moment so you can just give it a try. The idea is survival but you can pretty much pick your difficulty. There are easy scenarios (starting as a fisherman near a village) and really, really difficult scenarios (hurt and alone in the middle of the winter). It also has some tutorial courses to ease you into it without too much trouble.
  • GuiltySpark 13 Jun 2013 06:54:22 6,355 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    coastal wrote:
    #2 in my rpg requirements: when i start out my character won't know shit. That means when i pick a plant i get to name it, taste it and note what it's good for. May be later when i met a wise old woman she'll tell me the local names for plants and that'll replace the names I've given them. But what I'm not is a walking botanical encyclopaedia - looking at you, Far Cry 3. Skyrim came close but really I shouldn't know the name of a plant until my character's read it or been told better.

I don't know where this going but feel free to add.. I might nick the lot and do a kickstarter. :-)
    You sound like the most boring yet hard to please person ever. Just take up gardening.

Get bent.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next