Regarding Steam and the article "Microsoft kills game ownership and expects us to smile" Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• RedSparrows 7 Jun 2013 13:50:27 24,241 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A BASTARD TOM
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Jun 2013 13:50:50 39,761 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    EVERYONE IS TOM

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• DrStrangelove 7 Jun 2013 13:51:30 4,655 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Steam is different, because... well, it's just different. So stop complaining.
    Cheaper?
    I got quite a lot of games cheaper on Amazon than on Steam, and I suspect Nexbox games will be available on Amazon too.
  • sanctusmortis 7 Jun 2013 13:51:49 9,797 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, click-bait article got clicks?
  • RedSparrows 7 Jun 2013 13:52:44 24,241 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shut up, fanboy!!!!
  • YenRug 7 Jun 2013 13:53:23 2,438 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I kind of got the impression that people were downvoting Steam comments because Xbox One is not the same as Steam; Steam has competition and you can still buy plenty of physical PC games on disc (yes, I do know some PC games do require you to activate on Steam, even if you do have the disc), if you go to online retailers.

Xbox One is proving to be a closed system, where you don't have the ultimate choice about what you do with your games.
  • X201 7 Jun 2013 13:53:26 15,743 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I thought you were Tom?
    No, Ven is the one who took our podcast away.
    Ven is Tom. He's just not Mugwum Tom. He's a different Tom. A Champion Tom.

A BLOODY LIAR TOM!
    I know.

He's the one who clears the crap out of his desk by luring forumites into his desk thread.

Although he'll probably need Microsoft's permission to transfer ownership from now on.
  • sanctusmortis 7 Jun 2013 13:56:40 9,797 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Shut up, fanboy!!!!
    :D
  • kentmonkey 7 Jun 2013 14:01:57 20,928 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I thought you were Tom?
    No, Ven is the one who took our podcast away.
    Ven is Tom. He's just not Mugwum Tom. He's a different Tom. A Champion Tom.

A BLOODY LIAR TOM!
    I know.

He's the one who clears the crap out of his desk by luring forumites into his desk thread.

Although he'll probably need Microsoft's permission to transfer ownership from now on.
    This week guys, the prize is a stapler from my top drawer, and a piece of fluff from Tom (the other Tom, the non-liar Tom's) belly button.

Don't worry, we have got permission from Rexel and Tom to transfer these items to you, although you'll have to be permanently connected to oxygen in order to enjoy both.

Get entering!
  • PenguinJim 7 Jun 2013 14:12:20 6,010 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Edit: wait... I don't want to be saying the exact same thing across three or four threads, do I. :p

Edited by PenguinJim at 14:15:25 07-06-2013
  • Deleted user 7 June 2013 14:17:20
    I still don't really buy the "Steam is open with competition, Xbox One is closed with no competition, you won't see the costs reflected in this". Surely the PS4 and Wii U are the competition, just like Android is the competition with the closed, controlled Apple App Store that doesn't really have problems with pricing?
  • thedaveeyres 7 Jun 2013 14:22:10 11,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dancing Tom.

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• RobTheBuilder 7 Jun 2013 14:28:14 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Steam is different, because... well, it's just different. So stop complaining.
    Steam is different because the game can be moved to every PC I ever own in the future, and because I can play the games even without my internet connection. Steam cannot randomly decide to stop me playing my old games.

Sure the no selling thing is bad, but there was talk that might change.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 14:28:43 07-06-2013
  • andytheadequate 7 Jun 2013 14:30:15 8,358 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You don't have to be always online to play on steam, do you? Games are also a lot cheaper than they ever will be on a console. Plus, your games will be available as long as Steam is still running, rather than when MS decide to make another console.

A better comparison would be the outrage over Uplay requiring you to be always online.

Anyway, back on topic. I know someone called Tom
  • RobTheBuilder 7 Jun 2013 14:31:52 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @meme To an extent yes. But if EA bring out Fifa 14 at £70 on both consoles, there's still no competition.

It's the same publishers on both systems (bar Sony/MS) so they aren't going to compete on pricing unless funded by the manufacturer.

Apple App Store is made up of many many small developers hunting for attention. Whereas the consoles have a few big developers. Plus you could argue the app store model had led to the proliferation of F2P purchase models, which are the next worst thing in gaming after this.
  • Syrette 7 Jun 2013 14:44:14 44,219 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Venatio= :champ: :chatty: :champo2:

• Deleted user 7 June 2013 14:44:40
    Well, no, there is competition. If MS and Sony are going to try to push digital sales (which they almost certainly are), they're going to want to undercut sales from Amazon etc. This generation just gone didn't really matter to them in terms of digital distribution for major titles, as people didn't really have the broadband speeds and consoles didn't have the storage for it to be viable until quite late in the generation. Now it's a fresh start.

The direct comparisons with the App store are somewhat moot too. It was literally just to demonstrate that closed, controlled systems still inherently have to remain competitive.
  • morriss 7 Jun 2013 14:51:18 71,286 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Lucky EG's own GetGames lets you trade in and sell games isn't it?

Oh wait.
    you win
  • PenguinJim 7 Jun 2013 14:52:34 6,010 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    You don't have to be always online to play on steam, do you? Games are also a lot cheaper than they ever will be on a console.
    Max Payne 3 was $5 on Games on Demand a couple of months ago - cheaper than it's ever been on Steam, even in the months since. Assassin's Creed 3 was also given away for free on GoD - I don't think that Steam will be matching that any time soon. ;)
  • nickthegun 7 Jun 2013 14:56:16 61,308 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing with the App store is that A) you can set your own price B) There are more apps released on the app store a day than there are on PSN in a year, so there is far, far, far more competition, hence the market being more price sensitive.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 7 June 2013 15:00:15
    Sony definitely wants a piece of that, though. They're (allegedly) making it so open and easy for indie devs that, should porting be relatively easy (and I imagine middleware will support it soon enough) then devs will bang out iOS/Android/PS4 apps simultaneously.

It'll make a huge impact on pricing if they have one big PSN Store. Not so much if they wall them off in their own special "Indie Games" corner hidden at the back of the store somewhere.
  • kentmonkey 7 Jun 2013 15:01:37 20,928 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    You don't have to be always online to play on steam, do you? Games are also a lot cheaper than they ever will be on a console.
    Max Payne 3 was $5 on Games on Demand a couple of months ago - cheaper than it's ever been on Steam, even in the months since. Assassin's Creed 3 was also given away for free on GoD - I don't think that Steam will be matching that any time soon. ;)
    However MS policy has, and will probably always be, heavily influenced towards the states. Not everybody (in fact hardly anybody, in the grand scheme of things) will know how to get a US account, or what content is even available on the US network.

Europe counts itself lucky to get 400msp discounts on Carcassone, Bioshock DLC and Braid every six months.
  • Deleted user 7 June 2013 15:03:57
    morriss wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Lucky EG's own GetGames lets you trade in and sell games isn't it?

Oh wait.
    you win
    Venatio wrote:
    Zing!

Although EG isn't involved with the running of GetGames and hasn't been for ages.
    Not really.
  • PenguinJim 7 Jun 2013 15:03:57 6,010 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, that Max Payne 3 discount was in Australia (I got it on my Australian account) and Assassin's Creed 3 was free on my Chinese account.
  • Deleted user 7 June 2013 15:05:01
    meme wrote:
    Sony definitely wants a piece of that, though. They're (allegedly) making it so open and easy for indie devs that, should porting be relatively easy (and I imagine middleware will support it soon enough) then devs will bang out iOS/Android/PS4 apps simultaneously.

It'll make a huge impact on pricing if they have one big PSN Store. Not so much if they wall them off in their own special "Indie Games" corner hidden at the back of the store somewhere.
    And they've already done some things with Valve and Steam so it's not like they haven't been paying attention to their success.
  • kentmonkey 7 Jun 2013 15:05:21 20,928 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @PenguinJim Really? Point still stands about people not knowing how to set up regional accounts, or knowing what's on them, but if MS are doing that for other territories, and the US, why not Europe?

WHY DO THEY HATE US. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Edited by kentmonkey at 15:05:39 07-06-2013
  • sanctusmortis 7 Jun 2013 15:09:23 9,797 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because we're actually buying shit. Why would they incentivise a system that's already doing so well?

Success breeds contempt.
  • INSOMANiAC 7 Jun 2013 15:14:15 3,842 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I always wanted to say this in 1992 but I didn't have the vast grasp of the English language in which to convey my views;

FUCK OFF YOU NINTENDO LOVING MARIO SHAGGING CUNTS. SEGA WOULD NEVER MAKE A SONIC GAME FOR A NINTENDO SYSTEM BECAUSE MEGADRIVE IS THE BEST. THERE'S A FUCKING NINJA IN THE ADVERT. A NINJA !!!

PLUG ME INTO A SEGA MOTHER FUCKERS !

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Page

of 4 First / Last