OS X Mavericks 10.9

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • specialgamer 6 Jun 2013 22:49:33 153 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So, what do the Macheads of Eurogamer want to see in OS X 10.9? This article seems to suggest it's actually been in development for two years, based on the current build number.

Are we looking at a new possible new UI, given that iOS 7 is almost certain to have a Jonny Ive crafted one? Cant' see Apple releasing two new OSes and having them look like they're from two different worlds, especially given all the convergence they attempted in Lion and Mountain Lion.
  • specialgamer 7 Jun 2013 22:12:40 153 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    First OS X poster up at WWDC. Big wave behind the letter X. Wasn't the OS X UI originally called Aqua?

• superdelphinus 7 Jun 2013 22:16:08 8,107 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah aqua then carbon or something
  • mcmothercruncher 8 Jun 2013 22:10:16 7,483 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rumours are that the UI this time has had a noticeable tweak.
  • yegon 11 Jun 2013 10:09:30 5,386 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apart from the crazy name which, like the Wii, will fade into the background once you're accustomed to saying it, I like the look of it. Isn't a crazy departure - I don't buy the idea that there has to be change for changes sake - but there's quite a few additions that I like. Multiple display handling looks miles better, and I like the Finder improvements.
  • nickthegun 11 Jun 2013 10:10:34 60,965 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I want better memory management

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• yegon 11 Jun 2013 11:28:13 5,386 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Didn't Mavericks bring this, or am I missing something?
  • TarickStonefire 11 Jun 2013 11:37:00 3,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I'm sure I heard something vaguely memory related, followed by mild whoops and cheers, during the OSX bit. Can't be sure because I don't really care what they do with OSX so I went out to sort my dinner while that bit was on.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• yegon 11 Jun 2013 11:40:05 5,386 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They talked a fair bit about inactive memory and compressed memory, much of it going over my head, but it promised speed and efficiency gains.

The whole Mavericks presentation actually reminded me how I should spend more time on my MacBook Air than my iPad, it's so much better in a million ways for everything other than basic consuming. Still love my iPad of course, but I really should ignore it when I'm at home beyond reading Instapaper, Edge magazine and playing games.

Edited by yegon at 11:44:45 11-06-2013
  • kalel 11 Jun 2013 11:42:14 89,116 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, as part of the updates there is a new 5120x2880 wallpaper available on Apple.com, potentially implying a 27" Retina display to go with the Mac Pro.

Sexy time.
  • nickthegun 11 Jun 2013 11:44:30 60,965 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Sorry, yes, thats not a very erudite way of saying thats all i want from it. I really, really want this to work because OS X really isnt great at handling memory resources.

• nickthegun 11 Jun 2013 11:46:25 60,965 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    So, as part of the updates there is a new 5120x2880 wallpaper available on Apple.com, potentially implying a 27" Retina display to go with the Mac Pro.

Sexy time.
    Its the next natural step for it. The problem is, its going to make everything look like absolute garbage.

• Derblington 11 Jun 2013 11:49:58 22,072 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm catching up on everything now... New Airs but nothing about MBPs or the iPhone 5s, right? When will those be getting refreshed?
  • yegon 11 Jun 2013 11:52:25 5,386 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    5S in "fall" probably. MBP's up in the air, a silentish update to Haswell wouldn't surprise me, although they may want to bring them in with fanfare.

The question is, will they go integrated GPU only on the mbp's given the relatively decent Intel 5000? As I don't game or do heavy rendering on a laptop, I could live with a 5000 assuming it's properly, without reservation, up to the task of 2880x1880 (or whatever the rmbp's are).

Edited by yegon at 11:55:59 11-06-2013
  • kalel 11 Jun 2013 11:55:59 89,116 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a few new things on the Pro like Thunderbolt 2 and that better wifi thingy that will probably crossover to the new MPBs as well, so I'd expect a minor fanfare when they update them.
  • TarickStonefire 11 Jun 2013 11:57:58 3,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    They talked a fair bit about inactive memory and compressed memory, much of it going over my head, but it promised speed and efficiency gains.

The whole Mavericks presentation actually reminded me how I should spend more time on my MacBook Air than my iPad, it's so much better in a million ways for everything other than basic consuming. Still love my iPad of course, but I really should ignore it when I'm at home beyond reading Instapaper, Edge magazine and playing games.
    Instapaper, eurgh. The app is okay and everything but I hate Marco Arment so much that eventually using it every day pissed me off to the point of trying Pocket, realising it was much better in many ways, and switching.

God it felt good.

I have the same reaction to that note-taking app designed by that smug prick Gruber. Eurgh, the thought of paying him fucking money while simultaneously feeding that ego...

/shudder

• TarickStonefire 11 Jun 2013 12:00:17 3,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    5S in "fall" probably. MBP's up in the air, a silentish update to Haswell wouldn't surprise me, although they may want to bring them in with fanfare.

The question is, will they go integrated GPU only on the mbp's given the relatively decent Intel 5000? As I don't game or do heavy rendering on a laptop, I could live with a 5000 assuming it's properly, without reservation, up to the task of 2880x1880 (or whatever the rmbp's are).
    Well, according to the ever-so-sexy new Mac Pro page on Apple.com (nice animations!) they're so pleased with their Thermal Cooling Core or whatever it's called, they can't imagine making a computer any other way now, so I expect the new MBPs to be pretty bulky and awkwardly shaped.

• jellyBelly 11 Jun 2013 12:05:50 434 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tabbed finder browsing is very welcome, found it very useful on Ubuntu

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• Deleted user 11 June 2013 12:11:51
    Very tempted by a MBA as I don't need the power and size of my MBP anymore.
  • spindizzy 11 Jun 2013 12:45:44 6,569 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    yegon wrote:

Instapaper, eurgh. The app is okay and everything but I hate Marco Arment so much that eventually using it every day pissed me off to the point of trying Pocket, realising it was much better in many ways, and switching.

God it felt good.

I have the same reaction to that note-taking app designed by that smug prick Gruber. Eurgh, the thought of paying him fucking money while simultaneously feeding that ego...

/shudder
    Wow. I like both of them. :-/ Not denying Gruber is smug, but he's sufficiently interesting and smart that I don't (usually) mind.

I think the OSX updates sound great, I'm interested in the Pro, and iOS7 looks great! Most positive I've been after a keynote in a long, long time.
  • TarickStonefire 11 Jun 2013 13:04:36 3,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Wow. I like both of them. :-/ Not denying Gruber is smug, but he's sufficiently interesting and smart that I don't (usually) mind.

Each to their own. I like the stuff he links to, but when he starts talking about himself, time to switch off. All that "yours truly" and "here at Q Branch" eurgh. I also hate that he's appropriated Bond stuff for their company and the app name. I expect the next app they release will be called "I Wish I'd Gotten To Blow Kubrick", probably.

• Slurmseh 11 Jun 2013 13:20:31 2,352 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does Maverick now have openGL support? Or did OSX always have that?
  • yegon 11 Jun 2013 13:22:06 5,386 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I used to think Gruber was the prototype of a dick based some of his blogposts, many of which are extremely dickish and annoying. A lot of it is just click bait to pimp his site though, as he's not nearly as binary (re:Google and Apple, for example) in his lengthier posts and on his podcast. He's clearly an intelligent guy. Plus, he does link to non-Apple articles that I generally find interesting - I neither understand or follow baseball or American Handcatch, but I've read some very interesting related material he's linked too.

If I hated Apple I probably couldn't stomach him though, much like how I couldn't stomach a yawnsome podcast about boring cars presented by Clarkson.

Don't have a problem with Arment either, comes across pretty grounded when I've heard him. Never used Pocket, I'm sure it's very good, but I use Instapaper in the most basic fashion so I doubt I'm missing much. Click save, read later, delete.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2013 13:23:10
    I have no idea who/what a Gruber is.
  • yegon 11 Jun 2013 13:26:25 5,386 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyway, Arment has sold Instapaper now. Besides, if I boycotted stuff based on what I think of the individuals involved, I'd never watch Lethal Weapon or a Tom Cruise flick. The latters had some turkeys but I confess to liking a lot of his films.
  • spindizzy 12 Jun 2013 05:36:45 6,569 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    Does Maverick now have openGL support? Or did OSX always have that?
    Always had it, right from the beginning. And if you mean OpenCL, that's been in for a while too (Apple invented it!)
  • TarickStonefire 12 Jun 2013 05:51:27 3,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Anyway, Arment has sold Instapaper now. Besides, if I boycotted stuff based on what I think of the individuals involved, I'd never watch Lethal Weapon or a Tom Cruise flick. The latters had some turkeys but I confess to liking a lot of his films.
    Hmm. I think Chevy Chase is an unbearable cock, which contributes a little to my opinion of Community being that it's not remotely funny. Can't think of anyone else I dislike enough that it puts me off their products. Just Arment, and Gruber.

• yegon 12 Jun 2013 06:58:04 5,386 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    yegon wrote:
    Hmm. I think Chevy Chase is an unbearable cock, which contributes a little to my opinion of Community being that it's not remotely funny. Can't think of anyone else I dislike enough that it puts me off their products. Just Arment, and Gruber.
    Haha, fair enough. There are equivalent people I simply cannot abide and avoid like the plague, so I know what you mean.
  • nickthegun 12 Jun 2013 07:19:43 60,965 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I have no idea who/what a Gruber is.
    He tried to rob nakatomi plaza

• craigy Staff 12 Jun 2013 09:00:22 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He's one of those guys that'll make one thousand predictions, then when one comes true will be all smug and go "Yep, I called it!", as if it's an impressive feat and he should take the credit for the thing happening.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous