What Wii U needs – Wii Sports U

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Canyarion 6 Jun 2013 17:45:07 32 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Introduction:
    About once a week I get friends over and usually we play some video games. When the Wii U was brand new, we’d play Nintendo Land and have a jolly good time. But now, after 6 months… they’ve gone back to Wii Sports. We play several fun games of Wii Tennis, then maybe some Wii Bowling and if they’re staying longer, they might want to try Golf or Baseball.

So there it is. When I have friends over, my Wii U gets mostly used for Wii Sports. Even though I have Nintendo Land, NSMBU and Trine 2, all fun multiplayer games that look way better and use the Upad. I find it rather shocking that people prefer a 7 year old game over all these new ones.

Why do they like Wii Sports? Motion controls. Simple concepts. Stand-up, active gameplay. Real sports.
    Why don’t they like Nintendo Land that much? Back to button controls. Sit-down, passive gameplay. Gimmicky gameplay, based on abstract ideas.

It is time for a sequel to Wii Sports. I’m not sure if they should call it Wii Sports 2, 3 or U.
    The weird thing is that they actually demonstrated a sequel to Wii Sports with the reveal of the Wii U in 2011. Some screenshots of ideas they had:

[img][/img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mIzGxnZNAm8/UbBUc_IURSI/AAAAAAAADWo/5zJ5UND4swg/s1152/Baseball%25201.png]

Now I’m sure my friends would be all over this. Even a HD and WM+ update of the old games would be great. And there’s so much else Nintendo could do with it. Improved controls, added gameplay (let us use the nunchuck to control our character in Tennis!), Upad-based games (the plane and wakeboard games from Resort…), tournament functions, maybe even online gameplay?

Nintendo is stupid for not making a sequel to their biggest Wii hit. I won’t be surprised at all if at E3 they finally announce this sequel. I’ll embrace it and I expect lots of people to cave in and buy a Wii U for this.

Edited by Canyarion at 17:45:53 06-06-2013

Edited by Canyarion at 17:46:22 06-06-2013
  • Deleted user 6 June 2013 17:47:06
    Wii Sports was popular with the grannies and housewives, but they're not going to be interested in the Wii U no matter what happens. That consumer ship has long since sailed.
  • cubbymoore 6 Jun 2013 17:53:51 36,468 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What does a WiiU do? it's been a year or so now and even I have very little idea what it's *thing* is. With the Wii it was straight forward, it does motion stuff, that's easy to get straight away.
  • Raiko101 6 Jun 2013 17:58:08 6,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When it comes to talking about video games at work, which really isn't often, Wii Sports still gets mentioned a lot. People will say the Wii is crap, but then those same folk will speak of their love of Wii Sports.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• ronuds 6 Jun 2013 17:59:39 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just because Wii Sports is good doesn't make the wii not crap.

I'm not saying it is crap, I'm just saying that statement doesn't hold up.
  • Fake_Blood 6 Jun 2013 18:10:28 4,090 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When it comes out they better include a wiimote in there for next to nothing.
  • captainrentboy 6 Jun 2013 18:12:24 965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think a Wii U sports would make a blind bit of difference to the sales figures, especially over here, just like the recent Lego did bugger all and neither will Pikmin 3.
    A massive price drop, along with a new Mario and Mario Kart, as well as a fresh marketing blitz might make a dent. Until then I can't see the Wii U's performance changing that much.
  • INSOMANiAC 6 Jun 2013 18:12:28 3,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I dont want a wiiu sports thanks, unless its free. The shooting using the pad as some kind of aiming system looks pointless, and whos going to leave a gamepad lying on the floor, picking it up and down to play golf? it would be seriously innacurate as well surely

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Raiko101 6 Jun 2013 18:48:51 6,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ronuds That wasn't my point. I was just saying that all kinds of people seem to play Wii Sports, even now. Even though they don't play the Wii otherwise or think much of it.

• Deleted user 6 June 2013 18:54:17
    I actually think Wii Sports did more harm to the Wii than good. Yeah, millions and millions of consoles sold etc etc, but the attachment rate was shockingly poor, mostly because a lot of people thought the Wii was literally just Wii Sports and that's it. Publishers heard the buzz in the general populace about Wii Sports and thought "minigame waggle collections!" with dollar signs in their eyes.
  • Sid-Nice 6 Jun 2013 19:09:09 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Wii has an attach ratio of over 8 games per console.

NNID Sid-Nice

• nickthegun 6 Jun 2013 19:27:36 58,947 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are over eight games available for the wii?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 6 June 2013 19:29:16
    Problem is, that attach rate figure also includes Wii Sports (bundled with the console) and Wii Play (the one people only bought for the cheap wiimote). In some figures I've seen it also counts Wii Sports as five different games.
  • RyanDS 6 Jun 2013 20:24:16 9,073 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Whats the source on that? I really find that hard to beleive. I know 8 people who bought wiis and no one went above 4.
  • oconnomiyaki 6 Jun 2013 20:48:49 245 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Whats the source on that? I really find that hard to beleive. I know 8 people who bought wiis and no one went above 4.
    Also, is that the average? 'Cause that'll include all the neckbeards who buy every game under the sun. I'd like to see the mode.
  • Gaol 6 Jun 2013 21:03:47 2,263 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I remember when the Wii U was revealed they had a video of a guy playing golf. He was standing on a balance board, pointing a wiimote at the gamepad, which was on the floor showing the ball.

It looked so stupid, all those plastic peripherals.. you get to the point where it's easier to just go to the driving range.

The Wii was easy, it was just a stick with waggle.. they can't get that back now. Should've just released a cheap Wii HD box.
  • Raiko101 6 Jun 2013 21:07:14 6,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Given the ridiculously high sales of Mario Kart, NSMB, Wii Fit and Wii Party, I cant see why the attach rate of the console wouldn't be the same as the 360/PS3. You've got plenty of other multi million sellers and a shovelware out there too.

• ronuds 6 Jun 2013 21:58:03 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think we're going to have to see some evidence of this 8+ attach rate. I can't find a point in time when it was over 5, except for one month when they say it was 8. For that one single month.
  • roz123 6 Jun 2013 22:12:38 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html
  • Zomoniac 6 Jun 2013 22:39:36 7,811 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html
    I am utterly baffled by the fact that Wii U in six months has shifted more games per system than 3DS in three years. I can only assume that those 3.5m people are entirely Nintendo fanboys buying any old shit to try justify their purchase. Have I missed something? Has 3DS been cracked and everyone's pirating their games and I just never heard about it?
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next