Best motherboard for these combos.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Skirlasvoud 5 Jun 2013 18:38:13 241 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hello forums,

2 months ago I asked about what CPU and GPU combination was the best to approximate the next-gen line of consoles. I got some very useful replies back.

RobtheBuilder, mainly, adviced me:
    - the Intel Core I5-3570K CPU,
    - a GeForce GTX 670 2Gb
    - on a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Socket 1155 ATX Motherboard.

I have no doubt that this combination still holds up, but a while back, Eurogamer released an article about how both the Xbone and PS4 are going to use their AMD CPU multi-cores for maximum effect. Seeing as how AMD appears to be winning in the cost-effeciency department and that all future games are going to be designed around their cores, I'm exploring the possibility to hop on board the AMD line of products.

People's replies to my old thread have given me enough savvy to pick out CPU and GPU, but I still have no idea what motherboards are doing. (or powersupplies for that matter)

I was thinking for an AMD version:
    - The AMD FX-8320 Eight core, or even the AMD FX-8350 Eight core CPU
    - Go with the Radeon HD 7970, or still the Gforce GTX 670 if brand mixing don't matter.
    - ??? Motherboard? Something with AM3+ that still works with either videocard?

And can I still go with the same power supply when choosing AMD as Rob recommended? A Antec Basiq VP550P ATX12V 2.3 - 80 PLUS - AC 200-240 V - 550 Watt - active PFC?

I notice the wattage difference between AMD and Intel. Just how big a deal is that?

Thanks!
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 18:44:04 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah the 8core amd is a good choice for approximating the ps4. It's well priced as well, 8core 4ghz for about 122 (last time I checked).

It will be slower per core than the i5 but faster when games utilise all cores.

However I would suggest giving a budget and working to that is more productive.

I'm not sure of specific wattages, though I'd expect 550 and a good male should be ok as long as you aren't overclocking or adding lots of other bits.

Do you have a budget?
  • mal 5 Jun 2013 18:49:51 22,727 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hello forum!
    I've never been addressed as a forum before, so I thought I'd reciprocate

AMD Temash processors which feature the new hUMA transport which looks suspiciously like the architecture of the new consoles aren't due to be released until later this year. An AMD processor you buy today is not built the same way, so is no justfication for whether to buy AMD or Intel today.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 18:53:18 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mal currently though the 8core amd is the closest thing to it. Plus it will still be an advantage if the games are designed to use 8cores.
  • mal 5 Jun 2013 19:03:39 22,727 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    True, code that's written to use those cores will run better than they would on less cores, but likewise, code written to run on GPUs with first level access to the RAM will not run particularly well on a today-spec PC.

Hopefully whether code targets CPUs to GPUs is largely down to the code's compiler, so hopefully PC ports will just be a matter of cross compiling, but anything hand optimised will need to be rewritten to use different algorithms.

At the end of the day it's just worth buying the most powerful machine you can afford if you want it to be playing the latest games for years to come, of course, so no arguments from me about your recommendations.

• RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 19:08:10 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haha true.
    I think getting most for the budget will be the best option anyway... I await the budget :)
  • Skirlasvoud 5 Jun 2013 20:11:08 241 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Budget again? :p

Same reply as on the last thread: Whatever's most cost efficient and still manages to compete with the consoles.

The passmark site has these value graphs that equates CPU or GPU performance to Price. I love those. Combined with your valuable insights on what general range I should look, graphs like that form my opinion as I look for wriggle room and bargains in the performance corridor you've set me. If they had one for motherboards, I'd be set, but they're a bit harder for me to understand so I need help from people who know what they're doing. I once bought a power unit too weak for my previous system and I couldn't figure out what kept crashing the system.

*Sigh* I do owe you an answer though, and just to sate people's insatiable desire for a silly budget:
    I hope around 950 Euros / 800 British Pounds / 1250 American Dollars. There's generous wiggle room in there depending on value bargains. I can play patience and slap on another 20% in a month's time.

But just so you know, revealing a budget makes me slightly suspicious. :p I'm a fool when it comes to Tech, and I know it. Now its like having blurted out my budget to knowledgable enthousiasts who now know it and try to advice me of something I can afford but don't strictly need out of passion. Budgets should be build on need and efficiency, not on how much you do or don't have to burn.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 20:16:36 05-06-2013

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 20:17:38 05-06-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 20:29:13 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's true to an extent. But it helps to put together something that gets you maximum performance.

800 should create a really good machine. I'll take a look when I get on my pc later.
  • canazaris 5 Jun 2013 20:45:22 25 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Good thread, I have just bought a pc from ebuyer - couldn't be arsed building one, it's the 791 pc.

Zoostorm or something, i7odd, 12gb ram, 2tb mem, gtx 660ti. Want it to last at least 2 and a half years before upgrading any bits. The AMD based pc is only about 720 and thinking maybe I shoulda gone with that judging by the next console gen.

Been a good while since I last bought pc games, what do I do with the box and cds now the games are installed? Looks like it has no trade-in value and if I give 'em away they seem pretty useless without the code. Can you buy a new code like the console's 'online pass', project $10, or whatever it was?
  • Skirlasvoud 5 Jun 2013 21:00:16 241 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder

Thanks Rob! :D

@canazaris

Welcome to the world of PC gaming!

Well, not all games become completely worthless after purchase. There's a few developers out there who are amazingly lenient with their DRM. I've lend a copy of Witcher 2 out to a friend and he had no problem playing it. If he wants the enhanced edition though, I'd like him to pay. I've also hoarded a lot of older games over the years to whom existed no such thing. Still play them and it really helps that the PC is flexible enough to still play pre-2000 games. No such thing as clashing backwards compatability on a good windows emulator.

But its a bit daft discussing ye olde classics on a thread dedicated to top of the line hardware.

I used to buy a lot of plasticcase games. Don't care about second hand value as I'm a collector. I like having a neat row of cases above my PC. Now that I'm moving around though, they're a burden and if you don't care for keeping em', use Steam! Its a brilliant software distribution system us PC gamers have that allows all our games to be stored digitally on electronic accounts. You can even share your account (temporarily) with really good friends if you insist on lending stuff. Steam allows it as it makes no distinction between PCs and doesn't tie software to hardware, like I imagine XBox live might do to Xbox ones.

Then again, I've never been much of a console gamer and I don't lend much, so I might not be the best person to ask. :D

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 21:00:54 05-06-2013
  • canazaris 5 Jun 2013 21:23:07 25 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Skirlasvoud, ha ha, very good. I've never been a hoarder, always want the new 'shiny'. So if I wanted to give away the Batman AC game or Far Cry 3 would my son or brother find them pretty useless?

How can I find out which games work 2nd hand or for a small fee?

Btw, steam is a work of genius, even updates my drivers for me, haven't tried yet though as just done it myself. Resi 5 (leave it alone, I likes it) -cheap from amazon, looks so much better than I remember it on the old xb360.
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 21:36:44 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok, had a quick look... And I've got this:

I7 4770k (brand new top spec)
    2tb HDD
    Blu ray drive
    2gb xfx 7850 core
    8gb 1600mhz ram
    550w decent power unit
    Decent case

Around 770 without windows. You could add around 100-200 to up the graphics card. Or add maybe 120-150 to add an SSD for faster windows booting and operation.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 21:37:31 05-06-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 21:38:56 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not the best at picking bargains, so there may be slightly better priced deals. I'll just check now if there are overclocked bundles.
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 21:54:47 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Editing - please ignore numbers for now

Scan overclocked deal

8core Amd top of the line, overclocked to 4.2ghz. (Excluding case)

701.28 (+55 for case and 30 for Blu ray drive and 70 for 2gb drive)

Total 857 for top spec amd overclocked, with decent graphics

Add 20 for 7870 gfx, or add 70 for 3gb 7950 gfx

In other words: 927 for top amd spec slightly overclocked with excellent graphics

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 21:57:34 05-06-2013

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 22:01:05 05-06-2013
  • canazaris 5 Jun 2013 21:59:13 25 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder That looks good Rob though SSD is pricey at the mo'.

Do you think because of next gen consoles a Blu-Ray drive will become pretty much essential soon?

edit, I do like the look of the 7950

Edited by canazaris at 22:01:04 05-06-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 22:03:19 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @canazaris sorry was just checking figures!

That amd overclocked with a 7950 is excellent spec. It may be available cheaper with other deals/shops

I don't think Blu ray is essential because of downloads. However for about 10-15 more than a DVD drive it seems worth it (27 on scan for a lite on br)

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 22:04:44 05-06-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 22:14:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Adding components seperately without overclocking is about 815. (All from scan except case for about 55 from ebuyer)

(Top spec amd with 3gb 7950, includes bio shock infinite, crysis 3 and far cry blood dragon)

Much cheaper than overclocked deal, although its the standard cooler.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 22:15:21 05-06-2013

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 22:16:38 05-06-2013
  • grey_matters 5 Jun 2013 23:19:23 3,809 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure why this couldn't have gone in your other thread. In any event, you're gaming at 1080p, right? If you stick a 7950/660Ti/670 into your current set-up (Phenom X2?), along with a quad or hex core Phenom II there will be almost no difference in terms of games (at least 95% of them) for the next 18 months between that system and your proposed new one. Other things that require more CPU power, sure. Not games though. Not for a long while either, I reckon.

Edited by grey_matters at 23:22:54 05-06-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 23:22:28 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    True to an extent. The phenom II will be slower per core as well as having fewer of them. It will make a difference compared to the new machine, especially on CPU heavy games. The ram will also be slower, and he may not be running on 64bit which means a 4gb ram limit which will be impacted a lot by having a 3gb graphic card.

If he is going to upgrade a full system I think the last one is a decent spec for the money. Upgrading graphics and CPU would boost it, but not to the spec he is after. The CPU would be bottlenecked by ram and possibly CPU too.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 23:27:17 05-06-2013
  • grey_matters 5 Jun 2013 23:25:18 3,809 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sure. It doesn't make that much sense to me though if it is just games he is playing. If his PSU is up to it he should buy one of those cards first and see how he likes it in his current set up. No loss.
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 23:29:02 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @grey_matters well he isn't going to get the spec he asked for. The graphics card will be bottlenecked so he won't get full value for it. Buying another CPU for that motherboard seems a waste, and I don't whether his psu would cope.
  • grey_matters 5 Jun 2013 23:38:00 3,809 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @grey_matters well he isn't going to get the spec he asked for. The graphics card will be bottlenecked so he won't get full value for it. Buying another CPU for that motherboard seems a waste, and I don't whether his psu would cope.
    Look at this. Single card, all multicore cpus are practically the same at max settings (at a higher resolution than he/she will be playing at). An X4 965 is 65 at amazon at the moment. A half-decent PSU is affordable and transferable along with the new graphics card to any future system.

It doesn't matter really, just mentioning it in case there's someone else out there on a tighter budget.
  • urban 5 Jun 2013 23:41:54 10,984 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AMD run far too hot and power hungry for my liking
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 23:44:34 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok for that it makes sense (lower budget).

Bear in mind that's one title though (an older one less optimised for multiple cores), some will be a lot more CPU dependent. Also he may have slower ram which will be hit significantly by adding a graphics card with 3gb onboard.

He asked for a machine to compete with ps4, but if he wanted an intermediate upgrade path your suggestion is handy (if the card isn't too hamstrung by ram issues)
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 23:46:51 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @urban true largely. But obviously the cost for an equivalent long term intel option is a fair chunk higher. Given the budget this is prob the best spec, albeit at probably a higher power usage.
  • Skirlasvoud 6 Jun 2013 00:39:48 241 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    *Tries to absorb information*

I didn't continue on with my last thread, because this discussion is more suited to the PC Hardware section. :p

@Grey Matters... my previous set up? My current computer is 6 years old and ripe for the grave with its blue screens. Nothing is truly salvagable. You're saying something about no noticable difference between now and 18 months with a new set-up. That's okay, I can wait 18 months, as long as I'm prepared for the 30 months after that, I still consider it a worthy investment.
    I suppose all this talk of a bottleneck, is current gen and/or thinking with older components? (just ignore me, I only half know what I'm talking about. :p )

@RobtheBuilder.

Thanks for more CPU and GPU information. :D Those are the more intersting bits and thanks to you, I'm knowledgable about them.

I couldn't find any links in your earliest list in this thread though. I'm happy to see a lot of those parts correspond to the earlier list you gave me in the last thread. (just to recap: Description_here )
    :D Guess those are the same parts if I wanted to go with your new i7 and the 7850 reccomendation.

The PSU: 278492 (Antec Basiq VP550P)
    Hardrive: 319641 (Seagate 2TB Barracuda)

Most importantly though, I can use the same motherboard you gave me then? The 386271 (Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H)
    If so, I conclude that Motherboard shouldn't matter much to the GPU.

However, my question for an 8 core AMD remains. With an AM3+ Core, I'll need a new motherboard recomdation probably. I'm also wondering if the wattage will change on top of your earlier Antec Basic VP550P reccomendation.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 00:42:27 06-06-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 6 Jun 2013 02:13:28 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The motherboard makes no difference to the gpu (as there is one standard right now) except for two things:

1. Is it big enough to accommodate the card (high end cards can be very big)

2. Does it work with crossfire or sli (for two cards - not important if you go for a high model graphics card.

Apologies for lack of links. I thought it easier to go into specifics after working out the rough costs. The new i7's would use a different motherboard (the 1150 I think it's called), any AM3+ motherboard will work with the 8core amd, but as its top of the range it's better to get a decent one.

If you are looking at buying soon I can make a list of specific components. Let me know though as it takes a little while and I don't want to do it if its no use yet!

Also - I'll check the wattage once I know the processor and graphics card you'd like. I think 550 should be enough but I will check it when I put list together.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 02:15:21 06-06-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 6 Jun 2013 15:15:55 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Howdy. Just put together one option of components.
    I've added the 660ti graphics card as on comparison it seemed slightly faster overall for the same money (and the cheaper 7950 cards were reviewed as being very noisy and hot).

As far as I can tell the graphics card should fit, but I couldn't find the max card size for the motherboards (Ebuyer seems to be sloppy with this)

Have gone for a different PSU, but it's still XFX a good make. You could go pay more for a better one if you liked, but this will be fine. (Power check suggests 400w minimum power supply needed for this setup)

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/778691188.jpg

Dammit Twitpic is shite...

From Ebuyer.

AMD FX-8350 4GHz Socket AM3+ 16MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor 409184
    ZOTAC GTX 660 Ti AMP! Edition 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card with Borderlands2 Coupon and FREE ASSASSINS CREED III Download Coupon + Metro Last Light game coupon 393233
    Asrock 990FX Extreme3 Socket AM3+ 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard 398369
    Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache 319641
    Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz Ballistix Elite Memory Kit CL9 1.5V 342445
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 259863
    LiteOn IHOS104 4x BD-ROM SATA Blu-Ray Drive - OEM Black 339402
    Antec 300 Three Hundred Two Case - with USB3.0 341398
    XFX Core Edition 550w 80+ Bronze Captive PSU 413805

Cart total inc vat: 829.16

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 15:20:56 06-06-2013
  • mal 6 Jun 2013 15:25:59 22,727 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No disc writer?

• RobTheBuilder 6 Jun 2013 15:27:06 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For Top spec new Intel (the next i7 processor down is 40-50 cheaper)

Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor 467641
    Asus Z87-A Socket 1150 HDMI DisplayPort 7.1 Channel Audio Motherboard 507915
    ZOTAC GTX 660 Ti AMP! Edition 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card with Borderlands2 Coupon and FREE ASSASSINS CREED III Download Coupon + Metro Last Light game coupon 393233
    Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache 319641
    Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz Ballistix Elite Memory Kit CL9 1.5V 342445
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 259863
    LiteOn IHOS104 4x BD-ROM SATA Blu-Ray Drive - OEM Black 339402
    Antec 300 Three Hundred Two Case - with USB3.0 341398
    XFX Core Edition 550w 80+ Bronze Captive PSU 413805

Cart total inc vat: 986.93
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous