Warframe Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • myk 7 Aug 2017 23:47:41 684 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GoodForm wrote:

Only problem so far, the shop/progression system is a mess. Supposedly I should buy blueprints and farm for materials, but all the desireable blueprints seem to be locked behind account rank 10. After two hours of play I still haven't increased in rank once.

Any tips on what blueprints to go for first?
    The Hek (shotgun, mastery rank 4) is amazing, especially if you go for the Steel Battalion as your syndicate. The Lex (pistol, MR3) should only cost credits and is a good secondary. Would go for something with reach for melee, like the Galatine (MR3).

Mastery rank does take quite a while, it's based around levelling up warframes and weapons (as well as pets/sentinels/archwings). That impatience never goes away, I've got a few MR13 weapons I want (MR11 atm).

Bear in mind that even if you had the mastery rank, lots of materials are tied to progression. Apart from Argon crystals (that expire after a day) I've never farmed any materials, you'll get more than enough just playing the game.
  • GoodForm 8 Aug 2017 10:40:49 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Warframe has a gold trophy for playing it for 10 hours. I'll give it a proper shot 'til that pops. Maybe it'll grow on me, maybe not. What I've played of it warrants at least that much dedication. Might well turn out to be a keeper.
  • GoodForm 9 Aug 2017 09:20:52 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It's starting to sink its hooks in. Love messing around with mods, fusing them and whatnot, thinking about loadouts and playstyles.

For some reason I had 150 Platinum, which I spent on a sniper companion and a elctro based new Warframe. My first new weapon, an electro based bo staff is currently in production.

I'm quite surprised at the variety and depth of the missions. It has some minor stealth elements, environmental puzzles - generally more involved goals, which I didn't expect at all.

I think once I see through all the cryptic systems and the messy UI, Warframe might prove to be quite something.
  • GoodForm 10 Aug 2017 07:32:21 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Jesus H. Murphy! Warframe is bloody brilliant.

The character progression system with its mod loadouts for warframes and every weapon gives me so much player agency, I can customize everything to my own specifications. The list of mods just keeps growing and growing, making it ever more interesting and engaging.

I can literally level-up and customize something after every mission. Once I gained minimal insight and understanding of the game's systems, the breakneck pace of its progression is intoxicating.

I absolutely love to control my warframe. Movement is sublime and deep, with lots of complexity to master, without being hard to execute - it's more about creativity in playstlye rather than manual dexterity.

The warframes and weapons are all highly desirable, each adding more depth and complexity - their own playstyle to the mix. I've definitely gotten a taste for being and becoming a Tenno.

I hit the paywall for the first time today. Namely, I ran out of storage space for new weapons/warframes/companions. 12 Platinum for two additional slots is more than fair, I think. That's less than a buck.

Browsing for Platinum prices on PSN, I realized I still got a booster pack from being a PS+ subscriber, which gave me a Glaive weapon and 100 Platinum, so I'm sorted for a while on that front.

I will definitely buy some Platinum to increase my storage space, if need be, and I highly consider buying the Prime Starter pack, with a unique Warframe, tons of Platinum, and additional goodies, when I see it on sale on PSN. That should pretty much ensure that I'll never hit a paywall again. Warframe does free-to-play right, and I'm down with that.

It's been a long while since I've caught the MMORPG/shared world action game bug. In that sense, Warframe is everything Destiny wasn't for me.

Hell, I find it a lot more fun controlling a Tenno than a Guardian. As it said in that review, it's like playing a guardian ten-times as nimble, with no cooldowns, and supers at the ready almost all the time. I also very much prefer that gun fighting and melee combat are both fully viable and go hand-in-hand with one another.

Besides Destiny's much more slick presentation, with its beautiful handcrafted environments, it's really how much fun it is to fight against Bungie's AI, what makes Destiny's core gameplay loop purr. That's the one area that's not quite as brilliant as the rest of the Warframe package. Enemies act more like a swarm of insects, rather than a pack of intelligent indiviuals.

That said, the Jackal bossfight I've encountered proves that when it comes to bosses, more movement and no cooldowns enables much more engaging encounter designs. It's a shame Destiny didn't maximize the fun of PvE. More mobility. More abilities. Forgo cooldowns for resource management in the vein of "shooting/stabbing enemies builds ability meter, abilities consume ability meter".

At the very least I'm certain now that I won't have trouble sticking to my plan of passing on Destiny 2 at launch to wait for a price cut or two. Warframe definitely doesn't have to hide from any game, and it will more than tide me over 'til then.

Edited by GoodForm at 07:58:43 10-08-2017
  • myk 10 Aug 2017 07:50:51 684 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just wait till the story kicks in properly (second dream in particular)...
  • blackbeard777 10 Aug 2017 20:03:19 18 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    This game is a grindfest. It is a good game for free but if you do not want o waste countless hours into this, you pretty much have to pay. Also the enemies seem pretty predictable.
  • GoodForm 11 Aug 2017 08:26:35 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    On PS4, Warframe has an odd quirk. When set to Solo, it hitches really badly. It's absolutely fluid with grouping set to Open. I assume something's wrong with whatever server I connect to when playing Solo.
  • GoodForm 13 Aug 2017 05:49:56 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Going to plunk down a bit of cash today. Pondered going all in and getting that Prime access Oberon Prime bundle with over 2000 Platinum, but I decided I'll spend as little money as possible on Platinum for now.

I should really first reach the endgame and gain a thorough understanding of what it feels like, before I plonk down essentially a day 1 full price amount of money on the game. Tempted though I am. I need a new warframe to level-up in order to increase my mastery rank.

Guess figuring out how to efficiently farm a warframe should be the next lesson I learn.
  • myk 13 Aug 2017 12:22:46 684 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wouldn't buy warframes just for the mastery rank; one warframe is only worth two weapons. The best thing to do is make sure you've got the cheap weapons levelled, all the ones you can buy for credits from the market. The mk1 weapons have separate mastery from the standard ones.

Farming warframes is pretty easy, in most cases you just need to repeat boss battles until you've got all three parts, then buy the blueprint. Some quest ones are easy to get, others a pain (Limbo took ages)
  • GoodForm 13 Aug 2017 17:29:59 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Farmed Mag today. Was painless. I'll just buy Platinum for slots and maybe splurge a bit to unlock a few colors and such.

I guess I'll spend IRL money on everything I need Platinum for to progress, as well as some cosmetics, because I certainly don't want to sit in trade chat to sell wares for my Platinum.

I assume there isn't a more expedient way to trade items for Platinum with players than that.

Edited by GoodForm at 17:32:10 13-08-2017
  • solidsneek 14 Aug 2017 09:28:31 265 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    How is this game? I am hearing nothing but good things about it.

How is the MP and story? I will be getting it on pc.
  • myk 14 Aug 2017 20:40:04 684 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Co-op pve is good, haven't tried any of the PvP. The story is a slow burner for a while, takes a back seat to the mechanics to begin with. You really have to piece things together yourself early on, but a coherent narrative emerges roughly half way through.
  • GoodForm 14 Aug 2017 21:15:43 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ugh. Ran into a really annoying roadblock today. Something about Synthesis. Trapping and scanning some specific enemy. It's poorly explained in-game, and googling it, and reading what it entails simply baffles the mind. A more mind-numblingly boring and annoying task is hard to imagine. I don't know if I'll bother.

I just want to progress through the game. Farm bosses and relics for warframes and weapons, and have good time. Synthesis is not a good time. Might just cut my losses. I spent 5 bucks on it, had a good time - then Digital Extremes put a shit roadblock in my way.

Could have been like 80 bucks you got out of me. Why put shit like this in the game, keeping players from what is good about the game? Nonsense.

Edit: Got it done. Wasn't half as bad as my google research made it seem. With half-way decent manual dexterity, none of the nonsense written about the topic applied to me. I just ran after them, aimed at the scan point, and got shit done in seconds.

Edited by GoodForm at 05:31:07 15-08-2017
  • myk 15 Aug 2017 07:17:03 684 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I found the tutorial for synthesis about fifty times harder than actually doing it in game. Also helps that if you're playing in a team you've got four times the scanning going on, or have a warframe with good crowd control skills.
  • solidsneek 15 Aug 2017 08:43:27 265 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I got this last night and wow for a f2p it's insane.

Graphics are top notch, game play is good and when they bring the open world aspect with villages!
  • figgis 15 Aug 2017 10:47:20 7,640 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm also trying to get my head around it, atm. The thing I like is the obtuseness of it, looking at FAQ's and Guides is like having to read a manual for a PC game again. I think I'll try this before having a go at destiny 2.
  • GoodForm 15 Aug 2017 18:08:37 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I knew the game's grind is damn good when I totally forgot that the new episode of Game of Thrones got uploaded to my streaming service today.

Warframe has me pretty much enthralled. I'm under its spell. I got a monkey on my back, and all it wants all day is more Warframe.

It's been years since a game grabbed me by the short hair like this.
  • onestepfromlost 16 Aug 2017 19:39:26 2,566 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    so not sure why but decided to download this, will see how i get on.
  • GoodForm 17 Aug 2017 09:13:25 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    so not sure why but decided to download this, will see how i get on.
    If a Diablo-style loot-grinder action-RPG, meets superhero-style movement, meets deftly done combination of run-and-gun 3rd person shooter and DMC-style melee combat is in your wheelhouse, I think you'll likely fall in love with Warframe, if you give it a proper chance.

Edited by GoodForm at 09:15:44 17-08-2017
  • GoodForm 17 Aug 2017 15:37:42 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The grind works so well because everything works in lockstep with one another.

Everything levels-up. Warframes. Guns. Companions. The more everything levels-up, the more modding comes into play. Modding allows the player to custom tailor everything to their preference. To do so, the player needs mods. You guessed it. Mods level-up too.

All of this leveling increases the Mastery Rank, the account level, which then unlocks more weapons, which yet again beg to be leveled, which yet again increases Mastery Rank, which unlocks even more weapons to play and level.

It's granular enough to reward me always, and yet manages to make the progress feel meaningful frequently enough, that it doesn't lose its lustre.

The progression and grind is ingeniously designed. It maximizes the gameplay value of every warframe and weapon and companion - practically every asset in the game, so that the player always has a reason to play, and to play with all the toys the Digital Extremes produces - kinda like a hunter using every part of the kill.

Opposed to many other grinds, the game's design ultimately promotes variety, making the it feel rich and rewarding, rather than dull and repetitive.

Edited by GoodForm at 15:39:51 17-08-2017
  • GoodForm 18 Aug 2017 09:16:40 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Starting to see how the *reciprocity based* free-to-play model works. Just spent a fiver on a Syndana (awesome cloaks) and unlocking a color palate.

It was an entirely pleasant experience forking over a bit of cash to customize my Tenno just a tad bit more. I'm over 30 hours in, and I'm still barely scratching the surface, and hungry for so much more.

So far I've bought Platinum for 14 bucks, bought me some niceties and still have plenty left over for more slots.

I'm finding well done and generous free-2-play hooks work for me. I'm quite surprised about that.
  • shamblemonkee 18 Aug 2017 09:33:30 17,322 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Im finding the combat a bit loose and janky. Does s improve. Im like 5 missions in.
  • GoodForm 18 Aug 2017 10:05:48 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Im finding the combat a bit loose and janky. Does s improve. Im like 5 missions in.
    It felt overly sensitive to me at first, but once I got used to it, it almost feels mouse-like in its speed, and you'll need that speed to take full advantage of Warframe's movement.

That said, I feel a tad bit more aim assist would make the game feel better to more players. It doesn't do the Destiny thing, where anything shot near the head hitbox counts as a headshot. You miss the head by the width of a hair, it's a miss in Warframe.

Overall, I think its controls are immediate and fast, and ultimately tight. More so than most console games, and that's what made me think otherwise at first. Stick with it, once you're there, it's great.
  • GoodForm 19 Aug 2017 06:17:46 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted
  • GoodForm 19 Aug 2017 06:18:24 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The hit feedback is sublime too, especially when using a bow or a big-ass sword.

Pinning baddies on the wall like a butterfly collector does butterflies? Cleaving a fellow clean in half, whichever way I swung the blade? That meaty thud as the bits and pieces ragdoll about the place?

My happy place.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.