Embracing Perma-death

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • INSOMANiAC 4 Jun 2013 14:20:05 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know about you, but whenever I play a game that involves perma-death,(X-com, Fire Emblem, even Zombiu etc)whenever a character dies I just cant accept the mistake and reload the game, kind of defeating the purpose of the whole mechanic. Games like Fire Emblem these days seem to expect you to it and the 'dead' characters are still in the cut scenes. I always want to carry on but I just can't do it!

Anyway, I've decided my next perma-death game I'm going to embrace it and accept my fate, does anyone every actually do this though??

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• LeoliansBro 4 Jun 2013 14:20:58 44,420 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Suck it up (and play Xcom on Ironman)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deckard1 4 Jun 2013 14:22:21 28,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd like to nominate ecosse and vizzini.

Wait what we doing?
  • Ziz0u 4 Jun 2013 14:23:18 8,395 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Give him one of your XCOM motivational speeches, LB :)
  • INSOMANiAC 4 Jun 2013 14:25:53 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Doesnt Xcom get considerably harder though, because you're starting fresh recruits without any of the promotion perks. I'm certainly not ready for ironman mode yet!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• ZuluHero 4 Jun 2013 14:26:57 4,175 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only thing about these games is that they're brave enough to put these mechanics in then kind of chicken out of them by letting you reload. Sort of lessens (and devalues) the impact really.

I try to play games in a way where I live with my choices (like Skyrim or Fallout etc), though in truth it depends what sort of game it is.

I really like Demons/Dark Souls, as the game sort of forces you to live with your decisions (and mistakes! :p)

I think that devs just need to be a bit braver when they implement systems like this, and I think it makes people play in a very different way as well, closer probably to what they originally intended at least.
  • kalel 4 Jun 2013 14:32:15 87,930 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Most people can't even accept the concept in real life, let alone in games.
  • jellyBelly 4 Jun 2013 14:33:57 415 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kalel surely this should be the other way round?

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• LeoliansBro 4 Jun 2013 14:35:30 44,420 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Xcom is a different game when played in Ironman. Your soldiers are more real somehow, they develop their own characters. And sometimes they do their own thing.

Normal Ironman is probably the best way to play the game. Classic Ironman if you're nails.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 4 Jun 2013 14:50:47 6,652 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I always cop out and reload. Aliens on the DS had a similar mechanic so I sold it. Tbh, finding loopholes in games around these kinds of mechanics makes me feel more clever than if I had the book smarts to actually get good at whatever it is I'm trying to play.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 14:51:22 04-06-2013
  • mal 4 Jun 2013 15:00:08 22,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I rarely 100% games, but that losing characters in Fire Emblem means you can't complete the relationship stuff means so far I've always quit and reloaded if I lose a character.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• SuperBas 4 Jun 2013 15:00:33 1,456 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't implement saving, or figure out a way to prevent saved games being copied. That last one would be ideal, but is hard to implement. There's your permadeath.

Edited by SuperBas at 15:01:02 04-06-2013
  • LeoliansBro 4 Jun 2013 15:02:30 44,420 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doesn't The Witcher 2 have permadeath on its hardest setting?

• THFourteen 4 Jun 2013 15:02:36 33,616 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Games are supposed to be fun, not hellish.

I always reload if characters die. They should do away with that mechanic.

i mean the whole diablo 3 hardcore mode... why!?!?
  • Benno 4 Jun 2013 15:03:18 9,933 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember when Hideo Kojima said he wanted to make a game where when you die thats it... as in literally, you would need to buy a new copy of the game to play again. Would love to see how the internet would react to that one.
  • Spectral 4 Jun 2013 15:04:22 4,997 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    While it does kind of defeat the point it still forces you play a level much more carfully. At least in games that dont allow saves mid mission. Having to replay 30-40 mins with no mistakes is still a fairly big consequence in modern gaming.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 4 Jun 2013 15:04:57 6,652 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Give EA ideas.
  • kalel 4 Jun 2013 15:08:09 87,930 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    With perma-death comes a heightened sense of tension and fun. Steel Battalian was a unique experience because of it. If it's done right then it can really enhance an experience.
  • HandsomeCrab 4 Jun 2013 15:15:14 278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago

GT: carlmadin

• neilka 4 Jun 2013 15:42:07 16,105 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr. Resetti has killed many children.

Lastly, I am gay, disabled, and a liberal.

• nickthegun 4 Jun 2013 15:58:24 60,148 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I stopped playing Oblivion when Lydia vanished in the middle of a fight. One minute im scrapping with those ghosty things outside hogwarts, the next she has vanished.

Searched for her for ten minutes, turned the 360 off and never played it again.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• LeoliansBro 4 Jun 2013 17:14:45 44,420 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here's some thoughts (360-based, but you get the idea):

- An achievement for completing the game without dying.
    - No achievements tied to characters who can die permanently on a playthrough.
    - A multiplayer thing which unlocks if you complete the game without dying, staggered by tiers, but which is unobtainable on that copy of the game as soon as you die once (or whatever) in single player. So, for example in Halo 5 if you complete the game on hardest difficulty before you have died 100 times on that copy of the game (in all modes), you get a blue helmet. Fewer that 50 times you get a glowing visor. Fewer than 20 times you get wings. And if you finish the game and have NEVER died you get... something even better.

• elstoof 4 Jun 2013 17:18:52 7,514 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still trying to get through the first level of Camnon Fodder.
  • mrharvest 4 Jun 2013 19:27:09 5,198 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've grown up on roguelikes so permadeath is just fine in my opinion. Try Unreal World - you can't reload. It just deletes your save when you die.
  • Slint1000 4 Jun 2013 19:35:10 3,078 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    State of Decay sounds like it has perma death which makes it sound even more appealing than I originally thought.

Mind you I hope it those deaths don't happen in really stupid ways like it did to me when my Hardcore Torchlight character got nearly to the end of the game then died because I got him stuck on an opening/closing door that squished me when I wasn't even that close to it.

I never played it again after that because it was such a crappy way to go!
  • thegofp 4 Jun 2013 19:40:43 169 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    I remember when Hideo Kojima said he wanted to make a game where when you die thats it... as in literally, you would need to buy a new copy of the game to play again. Would love to see how the internet would react to that one.
    Reminds me of this old Flash game which could only play once. Every action counted.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/07/one-chance-the-adventure-game-you-can-only-play-once/

Currently playing Fire Emblem on bitch mode, too scared to let anyone die or deal with restarting. Finally gonna sit down with XCOM after, guess it's time to face the permadeath reaper.
  • psychokitten Moderator 4 Jun 2013 21:02:05 7,794 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Depends on the game. Wouldn't want it in everything, obviously. Works great in something like DayZ. Makes every decision count, makes it very tense.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous