Buyer's Remorse Thread

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • oconnomiyaki 1 Jun 2013 23:16:41 245 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So I figure that in the age of digital distribution and the DRM plans around the next-gen consoles being murky, this could be a good place to vent about dud purchases you're stuck with.

For me, it's recently been Street Fighter x Tekken on Vita. I bought it for twice the price of a physical copy because I was drunk and impatient and it's not even that good. Now I'm stuck with it. Should have just bought Alpha 3 on PSP to get me portable Street Fighter fix.
  • Deleted user 1 June 2013 23:19:16
    Should probably be moved to wiiu category.
  • caligari 1 Jun 2013 23:19:28 16,832 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Walking Dead for me.

I can see there's a great game there, but I've had nothing but trouble when trying to play through it.

Twice (possibly thrice) it deleted my game saves on the 360 - my Steam version has refused to start from day one. It's just not meant to be.

Still, didn't stop me from buying the latest TellTale Humble Bundle. Don't let me down, Sam & Max!
  • Mola_Ram 2 Jun 2013 00:03:40 6,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Monster Hunter on the 3ds. I'll keep at it, but it hasn't really grabbed me so far.
  • wayneh 2 Jun 2013 00:05:09 2,185 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Does it have to be a game?
    I'm regretting upgrading from a Galaxy S2 to a S4. There is just not much of an improvement :(

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• Deleted user 2 June 2013 00:18:30
    Battlefield 3 Premium Edition on X360. I played it for two days and became bored and never went back. The single player was terrible, but I didn't expect it to be good. I've been playing the BF games ever since the original 1942 on the PC. But I enjoyed Bad Company on the console and decided to get BF3 and played the multiplayer for just two days before tiring of it.

I also stopped paying for XBL Gold, so now I can't play anything online even if I wanted to.
  • Kay 2 Jun 2013 00:24:45 17,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @caligari I had that problem too with The Walking Dead. Best thing to do is backup your saves to all three slots.

Definitely worth persevering with, it's a great game.
  • mrpon 2 Jun 2013 00:27:30 27,645 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My YouView box.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• SYS64738 2 Jun 2013 00:31:15 1,512 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wayneh wrote:
    Does it have to be a game?
    I'm regretting upgrading from a Galaxy S2 to a S4. There is just not much of an improvement :(
    Bought the updated S2 the other week and absolutely love it. Not bad for an "old" phone at all!

Gaming wise, it'd have to be ICO. When I played it originally found it awe inspiring but it hasn't aged well imo, it looks ok but the controls are terribly clunky and the combat is driving me up the wall with its tediousness.

Edited by SYS64738 at 00:32:12 02-06-2013
  • Syrette 2 Jun 2013 00:31:38 41,818 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Someone will say Vita within the next 10 posts and spark a mass e-brawl.

• caligari 2 Jun 2013 00:34:29 16,832 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Kay - I'm sure I'll have another go. I loved their version of Monkey Island and Back to the Future - the annoying thing is that I can see that this game is better than both of those.

I need to wait a little longer until I work my way through episode 1 - again.
  • cubbymoore 2 Jun 2013 00:37:49 36,441 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrTomFTW is regretting getting a 3DS XL in the 3DS thread, which he's gone into in far too much detail.

Edited by cubbymoore at 00:38:26 02-06-2013
  • Bremenacht 2 Jun 2013 00:43:17 15,753 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oblivion.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• MrTomFTW Moderator 2 Jun 2013 00:49:57 36,279 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    MrTomFTW is regretting getting a 3DS XL in the 3DS thread, which he's gone into in far too much detail.
    Heh. I've got it all sorted now, it's all good! No buyers remorse here.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• YenRug 2 Jun 2013 00:50:06 1,753 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Skyrim, after trying to play it, on and off, for about a week I realised it just wasn't playable in third-person like I wanted to.
  • oconnomiyaki 2 Jun 2013 01:33:42 245 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    EpicBoot2daFace wrote:
    Battlefield 3 Premium Edition on X360. I played it for two days and became bored and never went back. The single player was terrible, but I didn't expect it to be good. I've been playing the BF games ever since the original 1942 on the PC. But I enjoyed Bad Company on the console and decided to get BF3 and played the multiplayer for just two days before tiring of it.

I also stopped paying for XBL Gold, so now I can't play anything online even if I wanted to.
    Out of curiosity, what bored you? I played it on 360 and quite enjoyed it. But I sold my 360. I was looking at getting it again on PS3, but starting again from scratch, I'm afraid I might be too late to the party and would end up in this thread again.

Also not sure if I have time for 400 ticket battles, so was looking at BLOPS 2.

Did like that it had dedicated servers, though.
  • DFawkes 2 Jun 2013 02:13:36 22,059 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think I've ever had buyers remorse with a game, or at least never one I've bought blind. Games are just too fun for that sort of thing! Maybe some stuff where I've chosen between 2 games and wished I'd bought the other, but I always end up with both anyway.

There is one recent one, and that's Splinter Cell Conviction on Steam, as I didn't realise it required that UPlay bollocks to play it. I've already played it through many times on 360 anyway, but as I don't have that anymore I got it in the last Steam sale. Eventually got it working after troubles with UPlay but it killed the enjoyment of the impulse buy somewhat.

Edited by DFawkes at 02:14:38 02-06-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• ray 2 Jun 2013 05:34:47 683 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stuff I bought from GOG, which is about 5 or so games. Not because of the games themselves but they just don't run well on my computers or needed some poking with setting files that ended up being a real annoyance.

The first two games I thought maybe I'm just unlucky but after it can't be a coincidence with almost all of the games I bought from them.

The only one that works well (at least the parts I managed to play) is System Shock and if I remember correctly Beneath a Steel Sky.
  • PhoenixFlames 2 Jun 2013 07:08:03 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Consoles I've had buyers remorse with:

Vita
    DS
    DS Lite x 3
    3DS
    Wii x 3
    Wii U

I might add that's it not necessarily because there's anything wrong with them. It's just that I get them and then realise I can't be arsed to play them.

It's the reason I banned myself from buying any this year.

Edited by PhoenixFlames at 07:08:45 02-06-2013

I drive an automatic 'cause I'm too cool to change gears.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Mola_Ram 2 Jun 2013 07:18:04 6,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ...3 Wiis and 3 DS lites? Did they break? Just excessively fickle?
  • PhoenixFlames 2 Jun 2013 07:25:21 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    ...3 Wiis and 3 DS lites? Did they break? Just excessively fickle?
    Buy one, get bored and pick another up preowned a few months later cause there's a game out I think I might like. Then I quickly get bored again, it gathers dust and I tell myself I'd rather have the in the bank than sat under my telly doing nothing. A few months later...

PSN - phoenix1flames

• PrivateFloyd 2 Jun 2013 07:27:27 4,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, if Phoenix is anything like me he has probably traded them in at some point and bought them again (see Duffman Syndrome) :p

I have way too many.

2 x Wii's
    Any portable console (DS, 3DS, Vita) as I never get chance to play them
    I can't list the amount of games and wouldn't know where to start
    a 3D TV (used 3D probably 3 times)
    Also probably owned 3 different 360's and PS3's over the years!

Goat is hungry.....

• PrivateFloyd 2 Jun 2013 07:28:46 4,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PhoenixFlames

Ha knew it!

Goat is hungry.....

• PhoenixFlames 2 Jun 2013 07:30:22 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd :-) It's an illness alright! I've been in rehab for 6 months though.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Mola_Ram 2 Jun 2013 07:35:48 6,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I sold my NES to buy a SNES, my SNES to buy an N64, and my N64 to buy a DC. Since then I've never gotten rid of a console, and I only sold those ones because I didn't have enough money for a new console.
  • PhoenixFlames 2 Jun 2013 07:40:39 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Fair play. I'm just in a desperate attempt to recapture the love I had for gaming as a kid but it never happens. It's last for about 2 weeks after I get a new console.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Mola_Ram 2 Jun 2013 07:43:15 6,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fair snuff. I hope the joy returns in the future!
  • PrivateFloyd 2 Jun 2013 07:44:40 4,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PhoenixFlames

I'm totally with you it is!! I successfully walked away from buying a 3DS XL when Luigis Mansion 2 came out, I got as far as it being in my amazon basket! Felt liberated not buying it!

This next gen will be interesting. It's definitely going to be a one console household, not sure which one yet. And I am going to be selective as what games I purchase.

I think the reason I have had a bit of a gaming melaise the last 2-3 years isn't necessarily because I don't like gaming anymore. It's that I have gorged on game after game that I generally got on a whim rather than being proper hyped for them. Kind of proved that theory over the last 6 months having only actually played 3 games.

And Lovefilm is great to save money but it's also the devil. Games becoming a throw away rental means I'm much quicker to abandon them rather than investing my time in them.

Goat is hungry.....

• DUFFMAN5 2 Jun 2013 08:07:30 13,806 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Handhelds
    I have bought many and re-bought many. Love the idea of them and with the 3ds and vita we have never had it so good, but I just end up never playing them beyond an hour or two on the day of purchase.

Games wise now that I rent 75% of my games I have managed to stear clear of actually buying that many duds.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous