Need advice on a lower power storage server

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • DodgyPast 1 Jun 2013 19:17:38 8,469 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Using my gaming PC as a 24/7 torrent and storage server seems to be taking the piss with the power bill.

So looking at something to take on that task while the gaming PC is switched on and off as required.

Basically it needs to just handle huge amounts of hard drives and a torrent client.

Any kind of disk spanning redundancy is welcomed and if that means linux as the OS I'm comfortable enough using that.

Being able to play x264 rips is a bonus but not a necessity. Running a decent DNLA server is.

Already got a decent case and I'd be interested in the value of chucking an SSD in there.

Any pointers on where to start would be appreciated as I'm definitely out of the loop on low powered stuff.
  • grey_matters 1 Jun 2013 19:31:18 3,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HP Microserver
    209 with 100 cashback.
  • DodgyPast 1 Jun 2013 19:34:50 8,469 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Should probably add I'm not in the UK and planning to build something from scratch.

Also 4 disk slots is a loser. Currently about 12tb over 7 drives.

Edited by DodgyPast at 19:37:47 01-06-2013
  • grey_matters 1 Jun 2013 19:39:23 3,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Should probably add I'm not in the UK and planning to build something from scratch.
    Fair enough, me neither but I've been looking with envious eyes at that deal for a few days now. Maybe keep an eye out for the release of those AMD Jaguar-based chips? They look pretty capable.

Edit: link to mobile version

Edited by grey_matters at 19:40:32 01-06-2013
  • mal 1 Jun 2013 19:48:31 22,571 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Also 4 disk slots is a loser. Currently about 12tb over 7 drives.
    Surely those on their own are going to eat through a chunk of electricity on their own, unless the system's intelligent enough to spin down discs when not needed, and preferably to shift frequently needed data to fewer discs. Preferably it should cache as much as possible in RAM and only flush that to disc on shutdown, but that probably needs a UPS to give the system time (and power) to spin up the drives to write to them on a power cut.

Edit: Wouldn't have thought Temash would help you much, as that's all about getting more bank per buck for your GPU. You don't even need a GPU for a traditional headless server like this, though if you were a coder it might be neat to do some of the work translating between DMA'd data from the disc into ethernet packets to be sent over the network - though as far as I know that's not something anyone's working on at the moment, so not something you can just pull down and install.

Edited by mal at 19:53:13 01-06-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Bremenacht 1 Jun 2013 23:56:52 18,286 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You going to keep the current filesystem on all those drives? NTFS?
  • DodgyPast 2 Jun 2013 02:59:26 8,469 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    You going to keep the current filesystem on all those drives? NTFS?
    With a redundant system the change over process would be painful but doable. Set up the server with a couple of new drives then copy the data across the network and swap the drives across as they're emptied.
  • Dirtbox 2 Jun 2013 07:20:59 78,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Raspberry Pi, a bunch of usb caddies and a hub.

NTFS won't get you squat though.

http://lifehacker.com/5988835/turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-low-power-nas

Edited by Dirtbox at 07:23:29 02-06-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Page

of 1

Previous Next