Castle Of Illusion Remake

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • bad09 31 May 2013 14:09:19 5,903 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Surprised there is no thread up already for this!

Anyways, got some gameplay footage in this vid.

Cannot wait for this summer and so desperately hope World Of Illusion is next.
  • RobTheBuilder 31 May 2013 14:35:06 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks fun!
  • Prehensile_Plant 31 May 2013 20:19:03 417 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Castle of Illusion was one of my favourite games. I didn't have a MegaDrive though, I had a Gamegear. I remember driving my Dad mental with this game on it: turning the music up loud while he was trying to watch the news. He eventually bought me some headphones.
    I think CoI was the first game I ever finished. I hadn't really realised you could finish games before -- you just played California Games or Nomad or StarWars on the Spectrum til you died, ran out of points or time. This game had a story (not a very good one: rescue Minnie from Mizrabel, but it was there), like a book, and this was the first time I really saw that. I finished Shinobi next.

I enjoyed the video: I think it's great they are involving the original team. I'm sort of looking forward to this game -- I'm inclined to buy it, but I never played the MegaDrive version which was obviously the template. Maybe I'll keep Castle of Illusion the way I remember it; in blocky eight bit bright colours with tinkly stupidly catchy music.
  • sanctusmortis 31 May 2013 20:23:15 9,631 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    2-player World of Illusion next, plsthxbye.
  • kalel 31 May 2013 20:28:35 87,688 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Preferred this to Sonic back in the day. Probably my fav MD game. Great news about the HD remake.
  • mal 31 May 2013 21:32:16 22,554 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do any Australians work in Sega Studios Australia?

Anyway, seems to me the animation on the new version isn't quite as tight as on the original. Need a few more transition frames or something. Hopefully they're still fine tuning it, though if it's out this summer, perhaps that's a little wishful thinking.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Rodriguez 31 May 2013 22:17:00 1,094 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Prehensile_Plant wrote:
    I'm inclined to buy it, but I never played the MegaDrive version which was obviously the template. Maybe I'll keep Castle of Illusion the way I remember it; in blocky eight bit bright colours with tinkly stupidly catchy music.
    That's pretty much how I remember it too in all its 8-bit glory! I had the Master System version of Castle of Illusion and absolutely loved it! That and The Lucky Dime Caper starring Donald Duck :D
  • bad09 3 Jul 2013 14:44:19 5,903 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was nosing around for release info (still a vague "summer" sadly) and stumbled on a preview for anyone interested, sounds very positive, personally it is slightly sad some parts are now 3D, I would have hoped for a more faithful full on 2D gameplay remake but I guess it's more a re-imagining than a remake in many ways. Still looks utterly brilliant.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/castle_of_illusion/b/ps3/archive/2013/06/13/jumping-into-mickey-s-castle-of-illusion-hd.aspx

and some more footage I found on YT.

The only problem I can with this game is the little one loves Mickey's Clubhouse and we'll fight over who plays it. SEGA I need 2 player WOI next to avoid future family fights! :)
  • -cerberus- 15 Aug 2013 18:29:40 2,870 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• spamdangled 15 Aug 2013 18:47:44 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd love Mickey Mania to get an HD remake. It would look stunning.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• bad09 15 Aug 2013 19:12:15 5,903 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looks beautiful in every video. Hurry up Sega!!!!
  • Deleted user 15 August 2013 19:19:27
    Could do without that terrible narration, though. Bastion it is not.
  • spamdangled 15 Aug 2013 20:16:25 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If Disney did a compilation of HD remakes, with Castle of Illusion, Mickey Mania, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast, connected together in one game via hubs, with unlockable extras, bios, etc etc I would be very happy indeed.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• kalel 3 Sep 2013 17:17:19 87,688 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Review on front page.

Sounds alright. I'm disappointed it doesn't have the original music, but at least it's not a total disaster.
  • sega 3 Sep 2013 17:33:53 865 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Erm it does have the original music, unless they've changed it since those two videos above were posted.
  • lavalant 3 Sep 2013 17:34:39 1,317 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    If Disney did a compilation of HD remakes, with Castle of Illusion, Mickey Mania, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast, connected together in one game via hubs, with unlockable extras, bios, etc etc I would be very happy indeed.
    Forget HD remakes, I perfer to see pixels. Mickey's Magical Quest was his best game so far.
  • kalel 3 Sep 2013 17:34:43 87,688 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The review seems to suggest it's new music, but maybe they just didn't know what the original sounds like. If it's the original music that's awesome.
  • sega 3 Sep 2013 17:40:08 865 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's definitely 100% the original music in those videos, just more orchestral versions. I mean they might have changed it since, but I doubt it since they seem like high quality re-recordings.
  • Spong 3 Sep 2013 20:14:35 525 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The review seems to suggest it's new music, but maybe they just didn't know what the original sounds like. If it's the original music that's awesome.
    According to reports, the game has the original soundtrack and a remixed/remastered soundtrack. You can apparently swap between them on the fly.
  • kentmonkey 3 Sep 2013 20:20:24 20,686 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spong wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    According to reports, the game has the original soundtrack and a remixed/remastered soundtrack. You can apparently swap between them on the fly.
    Never expect EG to get something like that correct or put information like that in their reviews. It takes up too much word count that could be dedicated to gags. Or being against women being portrayed in anything other than victorian clothing.
  • Angry_Man_Dan 4 Sep 2013 01:39:35 170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    More than likely going to pick this up today, between this and Rayman Legends (and maybe Puppeteer) I don't think I'm going to need any more platformers for a while.

However, watching the previews of this has got me thinking how awesome a remake of Quackshot in this style would be!

PSN / NNID -Angry_Man_Dan

• spamdangled 4 Sep 2013 02:44:51 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    lavalant wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Forget HD remakes, I perfer to see pixels. Mickey's Magical Quest was his best game so far.
    Mickey Mania ftw.

Currently torn between this and Rayman Legends for my platforming fix... decisions, decisions...

Edited by darkmorgado at 02:45:30 04-09-2013

• TheSaint 4 Sep 2013 15:58:35 14,397 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just tried the demo and it looks nice but seemed to have some serious frame rate issues towards the end.

Think I might wait for a sale to pick it up.
  • Steve_Perry 4 Sep 2013 16:14:29 4,258 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Recently played through the mega drive game. It's as good today as it was then. Really simple yet challenging. Think I will have to buy this really.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• CharlieStCloud 9 Sep 2013 14:40:03 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just me who purchased and downloaded this?

There's no nostalgia factor going on for me because a) I never played the original and b) I had a SNES, not a Mega Drive so, I guess this may or may not be a benefit.

Completed this a while ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Harks back to the slightly unforgiving nature of platformer games in that if you lose all of your stars and consequently your lives, back to the very beginning you go!

Very colourful, cartoony and eye popping; the 2D gameplay and 3D visuals works rather well except for one or two sequences in the castle stage that was a little bit confusing where exactly the game wanted you to jump to.

The last boss, Mizrabel, was a challenge and a half! I believe poor old Mickey 'died' at least ten times before I finally managed to do it and it's a good feeling once the wicked old witch is done.

... for 9.99, it has plenty of imagination and those three short but sweet toy stages are a joy. I'd probably argue that if it was part of a PS+ discount, it'll be somewhat more appealing.

Me thinks the 7/10 review on the front page is quite right.

: )
  • Deleted user 18 September 2013 13:51:43
    I played through this again yesterday and thought I'd share some thoughts on it.

I've played a lot of platformers over the years, but this remake of Castle of Illusion is something else. It's not long after you press Start that you realize you're playing something special here. The narration and storyboards at the start set the game up perfectly. The narration throughout is excellent by the way. But the backgrounds and levels themselves are just wonderful. A lot of love has been put into this game and it shows.

It is a short game. I think it took me about 4hrs the first time? But that's not a negative to me. I enjoyed Limbo and that was a short game.

It's not a difficult game, unless you try to complete it on your first try without dying once while collecting everything.

After I completed it the first time I put it right up there with all of my highly rated platformers: SMB, 3, World, SMW2 YI, Galaxy1+2, Aladdin, Castle of Illusion, Duck Tales, Chip 'n Dale RR and on and on. It's a big list containing some of the greatest games ever made and I think that this remake deserves to be a part of that list.

Anyone here played Rayman Origins? Never been a fan of Rayman but thought I'd give it a go after a friend lent it to me. I just can't get on with it. I've played through a couple of levels and I did think the levels looked great, but the gameplay is lacking something. It's soulless compared to Castle of Illusion.

I read Eurogamers review of Castle of Illusion when they posted it and one thing has stuck in my head that Ellie wrote:

"All the same, Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse is an enjoyable, polished, satisfying game. It may only be a few hours long, but it's worth a tenner. It's perfect for those afternoons when all you want to do is close the curtains and collect rainbow gems while listening to some nice music. Just don't expect to remember the experience in 23 years. Or indeed next Tuesday." http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-03-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-review

"Just don't expect to remember the experience in 23 years. Or indeed next Tuesday."

I promise you, after you've completed this Castle of Illusion remake, you won't forget it.

Edited by DOOMologist at 13:54:02 18-09-2013
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next