• DrStrangelove 28 May 2013 03:01:19 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In yer face.

• DrStrangelove 29 May 2013 05:26:50 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    I don't 'get' black metal either. I listen to a lot of different genres of music (including the more extreme variants of death metal), but black metal for the most part, bores me to tears. And the utterly shit production doesn't help. I owned Darkthone's "Transylvanian Hunger" once upon a time as I was looking for an inroad to the genre. I paid about £20 (Irish Punt) for it back when I had bugger all disposable income. I ended up giving it away for free a few months later.
    Transilvanian Hunger is quite bad for getting an inroad to the genre, it's very hardcore, in the sense that it's the "pure essence" and devoid of anything that might make it enjoyable for anyone who's not really into BM. It's like if you wanted to get into drinking and started with a full glass of 60% vodka.

But thankfully, BM is a very diverse and colourful (ha!) genre, and there's more accessible stuff that also qualifies. You posted a few nice ones already, here are a few that got me into BM.

and Satyricon - Mother North, complete with naughty video (duh):

• warlockuk 29 May 2013 08:15:48 19,134 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've found one of the best bands to get people listening to Black Metal is Emperor. Specifically, the Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk album. Just close enough to standard metal to be enjoyable, not "necro" or "griiiiim" so there's an easy middle ground.

Same goes for Immortal - Blizzard Beasts / At The Heart of Winter are both fairly accessible (insomuch as extreme metal can be).

First Black Metal album I ever heard was Darkthrone's "Under a Funeral Moon" in 1995. I had no idea what the fuck I was listening to; it sounded like someone had taken scissors to the tape and cut off the beginning and ends of the songs so they just started and ended more or less instantly with no lead in or intro. Loved the album, though, despite not knowing what the fuck was going on.

On the other side of the tape was their A blaze in the Northern Sky; not quite as bleak or raw-sounding but still excellent; I took to that album a lot more readily. I didn't hear Black Metal again until 1998, sadly, but at least I wasn't too late to the party to see bands like Emperor live.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• DrStrangelove 29 May 2013 09:55:19 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A Blaze in the Northern Sky was still somewhat complex, with changing tempo/rhythms, more comparable to Satyricon than themselves two albums later. With Under a Funeral Moon they went further into the direction of "true BM" primitivism/monotonism that culminated in Transilvanian Hunger.

Darkthrone had been a death metal band first, with much more complex song structures, and A Blaze still carried a bit from that while its sound was pure black metal already.

From their debut album:

• Megapocalypse 29 May 2013 10:00:42 5,328 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @warlockuk I agree with that. It was a combination of Emperor's Anthems, and Immortal's Sons of Northern Darkness that got me hooked on the genre.
  • Donald_P_Bellisario 29 May 2013 10:52:11 3 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @DrStrangelove
    'Soulside Journey' has to be my favourite Darkthrone album. Not really Black Metal, I know, but rather spiffing non-the-less.
  • DrStrangelove 29 May 2013 10:59:16 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As I said, it's pretty much death metal. And it makes Darkthrone one of the few bands whose debut album was actually the best-produced.
  • beep 29 May 2013 12:01:44 448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really admire the drumming of Fenriz from Darkthrone. He can be subtle, technical, and fierce. Great skills for a drummer.
  • warlockuk 29 May 2013 13:16:19 19,134 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, Sunrise over Locus Mortis is a good kinda hint of Death Metal meets Black Metal, though the BM sound they ended up with is wayyyyyy more grim than the BM sound they hinted at.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• FuzzyDuck 29 May 2013 13:58:02 3,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

I think that's a fair assessment of Transylvanian Hunger!

On reflection, I think my initial post was a bit hasty - I don't get the uber necro/lo fi stuff, but still like it a good bit dirty. Something like say De Mysteriis Dom Sathanus has an immense drum sound. Considering the bands you posted there - I had Nemesis Divina on tape yonks ago, and was listening to I Am The Black Wizard just last night!

So far today I've listened to 5 bands - Led Zeppelin, Kyuss, Minor Threat, Bal-Sagoth and Desaster. Maybe I've got blackened-closet tendencies and I'm just fooling myself :lol:
  • DrStrangelove 29 May 2013 14:05:26 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @beep

Yes, Fenriz is quite a good drummer. Interesting to have in mind while listening to the frankly very monotonous Transilvanian Hunger.
  • DrStrangelove 29 May 2013 14:18:20 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

Something like say De Mysteriis Dom Sathanus has an immense drum sound.
    Not least because it's Hellhammer on drums. He seems to be an utter twat personally, but he's still clearly my favourite drummer. Technically brilliant and has a distinctive, unmistakable style. When I first listened to Shining's Eerie Cold album, I didn't know he was on drums, but I instantly recognised him.

• thelzdking 29 May 2013 16:12:02 4,332 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Transilvanian Hunger is a masterpiece of minimalism.
  • DrStrangelove 29 May 2013 20:17:10 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Satyricon video I posted made me wonder: how comes we didn't talk about black metal videos already? For some mysterious reason, black metal seems to attract parody, and only true black metallers with many years of experience can tell parody from the real thing.

But my clear favourite is Morbid Anal Fog - Nokturnal Bacon Throne. That's also the most elaborate black metal video I know.

• Donald_P_Bellisario 29 May 2013 20:22:13 3 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted
  • DrStrangelove 29 May 2013 21:56:18 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Since today is the 100th anniversary of Stravinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps' world premiere... anyone else think this has a sacreduprintempsian quality?

And please, someone else post videos. I'm feeling like a tit already.

edit: here's the original. I think Stravinsky was the first black metaller.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 22:02:36 29-05-2013
  • DrStrangelove 30 May 2013 00:27:25 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Black metal is punk
  • DrStrangelove 8 Jun 2013 22:48:30 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago

Varg - Schildfront (Germania)

Fucking great song, even though some people did nazi salutes when I saw them live. Everyone should have made nazi salutes.

"Ehre, Treue, Stolz!" (honour, loyalty, pride!) "Ihr Wölfe, erhebt euch" (you wolves, rise), "Steht mit uns, siegt mit uns, euer Name wird unsterblich sein" (stand with us, win with us, your name will be immortal).

That's the stuff that frees black metal from political insinuations.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 22:58:03 08-06-2013
  • DrStrangelove 8 Jun 2013 23:38:25 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wrote a long comment about the racial issue before, sadly it was lost in post -> error 404 limbo.

So why does heavy metal seem to be such a monoracial genre? There are metalheads all over the world, but the more Germanic it gets (Netherlands, Norway, Sweden etc.), the greater the per capita output of heavy metal, it seems.

So, is it western culture? France and Spain are pretty much western culture too, but they don't seem to be quite as enthusiast about heavy metal.

Is it language? That wouldn't explain why Brits are on the forefront of metal (English being half French, actually), and black/latino Americans being less excited about heavy metal.

Is it climate? That wouldn't explain why so many American southerners seem to love heavy metal.

Is it because Germanic peoples were late to become civilised? Thus, maybe carrying a stronger barbaric part in their culture? But there are many later-civilised or still uncivilised peoples on earth that aren't metalheads.

Is it about being spoilt children of western welfare societies? Doesn't make sense either, there are lots of poor people in western societies who love heavy metal, especially in the USA, and again, predominantly people of Germanic origin.

I hate to say this, but it does seem like "blood" was the most plausible reason. I mean, ethnicities are different in that they have adapted to different climatic and nutritional conditions, and social oddities might have been shaped by those conditions. So may there be typical Germanic characteristics that favour being metalheads?

That would raise another question though: why are latin Americans so strong in thrash and death metal?

I don't have any answer that's not borderline ridiculous, and I'm really interested in this matter, because it's really mysterious.
  • DrStrangelove 20 Jun 2013 19:11:17 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Black Metal is art.

• DrStrangelove 7 Jul 2013 00:15:54 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think black metal is the most varied and contrastful genre ever. There's only one genre that will have two songs like those on one album:

• ILoveThrashMetal 7 Jul 2013 15:00:28 675 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I wrote a long comment about the racial issue before, sadly it was lost in post -> error 404 limbo.

So why does heavy metal seem to be such a monoracial genre? There are metalheads all over the world, but the more Germanic it gets (Netherlands, Norway, Sweden etc.), the greater the per capita output of heavy metal, it seems.

So, is it western culture? France and Spain are pretty much western culture too, but they don't seem to be quite as enthusiast about heavy metal.

Is it language? That wouldn't explain why Brits are on the forefront of metal (English being half French, actually), and black/latino Americans being less excited about heavy metal.

Is it climate? That wouldn't explain why so many American southerners seem to love heavy metal.

Is it because Germanic peoples were late to become civilised? Thus, maybe carrying a stronger barbaric part in their culture? But there are many later-civilised or still uncivilised peoples on earth that aren't metalheads.

Is it about being spoilt children of western welfare societies? Doesn't make sense either, there are lots of poor people in western societies who love heavy metal, especially in the USA, and again, predominantly people of Germanic origin.

I hate to say this, but it does seem like "blood" was the most plausible reason. I mean, ethnicities are different in that they have adapted to different climatic and nutritional conditions, and social oddities might have been shaped by those conditions. So may there be typical Germanic characteristics that favour being metalheads?

That would raise another question though: why are latin Americans so strong in thrash and death metal?

I don't have any answer that's not borderline ridiculous, and I'm really interested in this matter, because it's really mysterious.
    I remember seeing mayhem years ago, one skin head in the pit giving it the nazi salute.
    He didn't last very long

Arsechickens

• Maturin 7 Jul 2013 16:11:41 2,892 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There are forms of music all over the world specific to nations, regions and races. It's pretty normal.
  • warlockuk 11 Jul 2013 22:12:36 19,134 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    France and Spain have metal bands. I guess in Spain all that black gets too hot and in France they're too busy being cool.

I quite like the Darkestrah album Embrace Of Memory - which had this track on it.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• RedSparrows 12 Jul 2013 10:50:36 22,105 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Culture> race, every time.

also, I wouldn't say Black Metal is alone in having albums that feature stark contrasts...
  • BillMurray 8 Aug 2013 00:50:51 7,624 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

I just posted this in the currently listening to thread but was thinking it might be better in here. Needs posting a couple of times just for the great video.

Edited by BillMurray at 00:51:20 08-08-2013
  • DrStrangelove 11 Sep 2013 01:13:20 3,406 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh dear, can you get any truer?

• Page

of 3 First / Last