Black Metal

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • drip 26 May 2013 02:31:04 4,274 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can't believe there seems to be no thread for this. For the most wonderful "music" genre of all, and as some might say, the most ludicrous "music" genre of all.

Say, post and share whatever you want. I'll try to kickstart with a song:

• drip 26 May 2013 03:11:11 4,274 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wonder if anyone even knows Abruptum, the old BM anarchists. A relic of the times when black metal was just about being evil, and not about being Darkthrone or Burzum. When you could just be a black version of Anal Cunt.

I fucking adore it.

• joeymoto108 26 May 2013 03:15:52 650 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why do they do that shit lo-fi sound quality thing? It doesn't sound evil or anything, it just sounds shit.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• drip 26 May 2013 03:22:03 4,274 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Officially, because they were disappointed with the mainstreamification and pussification of death metal.

Inofficially, because it's fucking true!

edit: and tbh, I can understand. Listen to late 80s/early 90s death metal recordings, they're fucking awful. You could say, Black Metal was some sort of punk movement against that, and sometimes the low-fi works really well imo.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 03:26:11 26-05-2013
  • OptimusPube 26 May 2013 03:28:44 3,134 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can listen to almost anything from classical music to thrash metal, I just don't get black metal, death metal and the other extremes it sounds awful to me, each to their own I guess.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• drip 26 May 2013 03:32:36 4,274 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thinking about it: could you say that if you don't understand punk, you can't understand black metal?

Darkthrone, maybe the most iconic BM band of all, seems to support this statement.

No?

edit:

Edited by DrStrangelove at 03:44:21 26-05-2013
  • FuzzyDuck 27 May 2013 06:50:07 4,325 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't 'get' black metal either. I listen to a lot of different genres of music (including the more extreme variants of death metal), but black metal for the most part, bores me to tears. And the utterly shit production doesn't help. I owned Darkthone's "Transylvanian Hunger" once upon a time as I was looking for an inroad to the genre. I paid about 20 (Irish Punt) for it back when I had bugger all disposable income. I ended up giving it away for free a few months later.

I wish I could get into the genre properly though, as it's what I'd call a very 'pure' form of art, and only made for the sake of making it, if that makes sense?

In order not to be a negative Nancy in the thread, I will say that there are some exceptions to this rule for me, and there's a few records/bands (that fall under the broader 'black metal' umbrella at least) that I love to pieces:

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 06:52:35 27-05-2013
  • Progguitarist 27 May 2013 08:45:08 10,479 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Sorry.
  • Progguitarist 27 May 2013 08:47:02 10,479 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, I think Emperor's "In the Nightside Eclipse" is probably the best Black Metal. It had superior musicianship to almost everything else at the time and the songs are very memorable.
  • DaM 27 May 2013 08:48:01 13,324 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought it was going to be like Bad Brains
  • thelzdking 27 May 2013 13:14:28 4,367 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
  • Maturin 27 May 2013 13:17:20 3,091 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Here's something from the latest Fintroll album. It comes from a black metal background Jim, but not as you know it. This is certainly a bit left-field for some, but I love the new album, it's mad as a brush.

I'll add something a bit more serious in the form of Moonsorrow's Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa.

Edited by Maturin at 13:26:56 27-05-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 27 May 2013 14:31:04 17,170 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It is an interesting question, the same question applies to prog as it is a very specific demographic. I've yet to meet anyone that is properly into prog that is either non-Caucasian or a woman. Same applies to a lot of metal.

You are a factory of sadness.

• FanBoysSuck 27 May 2013 14:39:20 1,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Interesting point, I was at Rush last night and it was genuinely a case of spot someone who's not a white male who looks like they make software for a living. Metal gigs are very similar. Hell I like going to them in a white t-shirt just so I can laugh at the looks I get from some people.

For the emperor!

• Progguitarist 27 May 2013 14:44:23 10,479 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't make software :(

I make prog music though.
  • beep 27 May 2013 14:47:55 450 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Graveland wrote:

I had a friend who is mixed-race and she went to see Enslaved live and after the show she spoke with Grutle and her race came up as a topic of conversation. Apparently, he was a little bit surprised that a non-white person was a fan of Enslaved, and BM in general. She said he was very pleasant towards her, but was just generally curious that a black female was a fan of BM.

What do other people think is the reason that Heavy Metal, and BM, is generally only listened to by white people? Of course, there are Oriental bands and fans, but generally speaking the fan base (from my own experience and observations) is largely made up of white males. With the exception of the obvious reasons such as NSBM, does anyone else have a theory why the scene is the way it is in terms of racial make up?
    A similar question was asked in the Spinal Tap movie...

In all seriousness though, I would attribute the predominantly white racial make up of heavy metal/ black metal/ etc, to the countries of origin where most of these bands originate from, combined with the alternative appeal of those styles of music. I really don't think it's anything more or, heaven forbid, "in the blood". Some black metal also has a strong pagan influence which I'm sure resonates with impressionable white males interested in their heritage (sometimes with questionable results, e.g. NSBM).

In the end, music is music and the good stuff will always resonate, regardless of ethnicity. Whether some forms of music should only be listened to by certain types of people is utter shite, and just high school mentality elitism.
  • neilka 27 May 2013 14:52:22 16,224 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've heard that mowgli is a big fan of BM.
  • FanBoysSuck 27 May 2013 15:37:09 1,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I don't make software :(
    I make prog music though.
    Fair enough, but do you look like you make software? ;)

It's also a bit of a running joke with my mates as I've yet to meet a programmer who doesn't like them!

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 19:59:35 27-05-2013

For the emperor!

• thelzdking 27 May 2013 18:02:26 4,367 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The number of non-white people in most guitar music made since the 1970s is pretty low. It's not just a metal thing. For example, how many black people are there in indie bands?
  • thelzdking 27 May 2013 18:03:57 4,367 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also: http://www.deathmetal.org/news/the-rise-of-metal-in-africa/
  • warlockuk 27 May 2013 18:35:01 19,185 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There is already a metal thread; seems weird to need one just for Black Metal. Decent enough sub-genre, big fan.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• joeymoto108 27 May 2013 18:37:27 650 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like Ihsahn from Emperor's solo work, more progressive metal sounding but definitely some BM influences.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• drip 27 May 2013 22:10:41 4,274 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Graveland wrote:

I've always maintained that BM, in essence, is Punk. Obviously there's a wider general influence from Heavy Metal, Thrash etc but in principal it is, at its core, largely a form of Punk. Simple riffs, low budget production, do-it-yourself attitude with a genuine activist element (church burnings etc) all point to a Punk ethos. Bands like Darkthrone, Impaled Nazarene and Carpathian Forest have demonstrated this argument by releasing songs/albums which are almost indistinguishable from Punk.
    Yes. Of course you have to differentiate, black metal is a very wide field, there's the "true" fuck-you-all BM, and on the other end there's all the symphonic and fantasy stuff.

But its roots seem very similar to punk. That whole lo-fi extremism certainly appears like an angry backlash against clean production and commerce(!). And of course, everything else is pretty much anti-everything. Like punk.
  • drip 27 May 2013 22:13:53 4,274 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    There is already a metal thread; seems weird to need one just for Black Metal. Decent enough sub-genre, big fan.
    Sorry, but that's like saying there's already a FPS game thread, why make one about Crysis?
  • warlockuk 27 May 2013 22:46:46 19,185 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It really isn't.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous