Unpopular opinions on film Page 7

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• PazJohnMitch 27 May 2013 09:40:25 7,836 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @captainrentboy I enjoy Kevin smith films but I didn't see why clerks was so madly loved.
  • UncleLou Moderator 27 May 2013 09:42:38 35,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Drive is a bad film that is only liked because of the soundtrack and intro.
    This might confuse you, but I liked it for totally different reasons. Which is why your opinion is wrong in the same way that an opinion that the earth is flat would be wrong. :p
  • Maturin 27 May 2013 15:20:33 2,892 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) - is Ridley Scott's finest film.
  • TarickStonefire 27 May 2013 16:35:08 2,912 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Your opinion is provably wrong. I loved it and I can't actually remember the intro. What I liked was the atmosphere, cinematography, plot and performances, as well as the music. It captured a specific mood very well, and told a story I liked within that.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 27 May 2013 16:36:10 2,912 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    This may be unpopular, may not.

Two of the best films I've seen in a long time were Indian Bollywood films. Not quite as polished as western films but really well thought out and interesting.
    My ex was of Indian background and we used to go see Bollywood films all the time; I was surprised at how entertaining they were, the seemed to be more sincere and better thought out than Western films. Plus the women were way more stunning.
    Do all Bollywood films feature singing and dancing though, or is that a misconception?

• TarickStonefire 27 May 2013 16:39:29 2,912 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Haven't read rest of the thread but I honestly can't think of a more overrated thing in history that the Star Wars films. They are mediocre at best with some awful writing at times. I appreciate how different I would probably feel had I seen it at the time of release.
    The original Star Wars films are thought of so highly I feel not because they are glowing examples of cinema, but because of how they made the kids watching them feel, and how they make those kids still feel as adults. It's not at all about how 'good' they were.

Which is, thinking about it, both what you're saying at the end there, and also why I suspect so many adults (rightfully) consider the new SW movies to be a pile of shit, but kids are wont to go nuts for them, albeit perhaps not quite as nuts as we went for the originals. Even kids know a shitty backstory about trade embargoes when they see one.

• RobTheBuilder 27 May 2013 18:28:24 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @TarickStonefire most do, but not all. The best ones mix it in to feel like a well written musical rather than a random dancing interlude.
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 18:49:28
    Maturin wrote:
    Winner for best post when considering the topic title.
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 19:18:37
    Graveland wrote:
    Choppi wrote:
    Maturin wrote:
    Winner for best post when considering the topic title.
    It's not his finest film, but is an example of how a Director's Cut can turn a shit film into an enjoyable film. The Theatrical version is an absolute mess.
    Oliver stones Alexander had three versions, although in this case I preferred the original long theatrical version as the directors cut butchered the film after the original didn't do well. The masses wanted more action.
  • boo 27 May 2013 19:24:37 11,706 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Every single film Peter Jackson has directed has been shite.
    There speaks a man who has never seen The Frighteners.

Just Another Lego Blog

• mrpon 27 May 2013 20:09:23 28,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    senso-ji, doesn't like kicking arse for the lord.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• JiveHound 27 May 2013 20:17:06 2,347 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Maturin wrote:
    I read a review once of the film that cited it as poor but it could be salvaged by a director's cut.

I almost bought that same director's cut on blu ray yesterday.

Did it come to fruition?

It did feel like it didn't have the space to breath in the theatrical cut.

Does this mean that Prometheus will be amazing and will restore all the stigma that goes alongside any xenomorph based shenanigans? Please?! I need it to be saved!!!

Edited by JiveHound at 20:23:30 27-05-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• JiveHound 27 May 2013 20:20:44 2,347 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Your opinion is provably wrong. I loved it and I can't actually remember the intro. What I liked was the atmosphere, cinematography, plot and performances, as well as the music. It captured a specific mood very well, and told a story I liked within that.
    I love intrigue in my films. What the protagonist's major malfunction was gave me something to ponder.

I like films that make me think.

Also, it was very stylish.

I wouldn't say that it was as amazing as what it is touted as being but we are all in desperate need of a modern classic in this climate of 'superhero makes money, preferably dark and broody please'.

I personally really like Gosling. Lars and the Real Girl proved to me he has the chops for actual acting. I hope that the mainstream doesn't stray him too far from his craft.

• JiveHound 27 May 2013 20:21:18 2,347 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @mrpon

If there was a like button I would be hammering it.

• Deleted user 27 May 2013 20:24:01
    boo wrote:
    senso-ji wrote:
    Every single film Peter Jackson has directed has been shite.
    There speaks a man who has never seen The Frighteners.
    I see no need to add anything more
  • Maturin 27 May 2013 21:04:35 2,892 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven was the original cut, but then Fox ordered it hacked to pieces to get more theatre showings in the day. The DVD extras has plenty about this and some very angry members of the production

Whole sections of the plot and even an important character were removed. Balion's previous experience of war as an engineer removed and his relationship with the village priest. Scott's cut is a beautiful epic that's much more an ensemble piece rather than merely a focus on Balion.
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 21:15:35
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    Avatar is fucking boring with or without 3D.
    Thanks for that, as i have not seen it, pondered the idea, but somehow the pull has not been strong enough..
  • RobTheBuilder 27 May 2013 21:17:00 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @blacksea watch Pocahontas with blue tinted shades on. Same thing only more entertaining

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 21:17:26 27-05-2013
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 21:17:23
    Kill List has to top the list here. This is one film I really did not like. From the look of the film (HD home movie) to the acting, through to the stupid ending. TO add insult to injury, I splashed cash on a brand spanking new Blu-ray - Aaarg!!! >8(
  • PazJohnMitch 27 May 2013 21:35:18 7,836 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Frighteners is my least favourite Peter Jackson film.
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 21:37:11
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    The Frighteners is my least favourite Peter Jackson film.
    Left behind, etc.
  • El_MUERkO 27 May 2013 22:27:08 16,956 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    this appears to have shifted from the 'unpopular opinions' thread to the 'hate on popular opinion to appear cool but end up looking like a tool' thread
  • cubbymoore 27 May 2013 22:55:52 36,468 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But what popular opinion is appears to be massively different from person to person, making the whole exercise pretty pointless.
  • mal 27 May 2013 23:52:33 22,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Kill List has to top the list here. This is one film I really did not like. From the look of the film (HD home movie) to the acting, through to the stupid ending. TO add insult to injury, I splashed cash on a brand spanking new Blu-ray - Aaarg!!! >8(
    I have to agree with that, and I kind of like Kill List. I far prefer Down Terrace, which treads the line between black comedy and farce much more defly. Not by design apparently - all the domestic scenes I now view on rewatching as the sinister descent into madness are apparently just the cast dicking around on camera in the main, and it's just been well edited together (which makes sense I guess - Ben Wheatley has a background in editing, I think). Kill List gets better on a second viewing too, with some great scenes and stonking performances hitting that dark comedy line perfectly (and some great effects in the librarian scene), but the ending just ends up looking more daft every time you see it.

Not seen Sightseers yet, but I did enjoy the series of Ideal he directed.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Luckyjim 28 May 2013 20:27:53 2,872 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    Ok......

Films are for retards.

Books is where it's at.

Unpopular enough?
    I'm with you on this. Nothing comes close to a book for me.
  • beastmaster 28 May 2013 20:30:29 11,202 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Timothy Dalton is the best Bond and License To Kill is the best Bond film.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• jablonski 28 May 2013 20:49:03 3,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    I have an unpopular and borderline incendiary opinion of Drive.

It's liked by people who don't really know much about films, and probably haven't seen many made earlier than the mid eighties, outside of mainstream classics.

Walter Hill made it far better in '79 as "Driver".

Nicolas Winding Refn is a bit of a prat to be honest. Very pretentious in a incredibly forced way. He doesn't have a natural style - it's cherry picked from Kubrick, Leone, Melville etc. The pace of Drive and Valhalla Rising is tedious because you know he elongating it for the sake of it, not for the story.
    Although Pusher 3 is blackly comic with it's quite brazen disregard for the tone of the first two.

Now that's an unpopular (and cunty) opinion.
  • Page

of 17 First / Last