How second hand sales on XBone will work Page 3

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Deckard1 24 May 2013 12:43:45 27,981 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah fucktards is a bit harsh, they're only trying to do their jobs. Can we ban him please?
  • SomaticSense 24 May 2013 12:48:33 8,291 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    My thoughts on the pre-owned fee thing, based on what we supposedly know of it so far (since you all value my thoughts on gaming so much):

I'll just be very, very picky about what games I buy. Basically will avoid buying anything that will gather dust after a few weeks. So in other words I'd only get the likes of Battlefield, games that I'll be playing off and on for months, therefore would never be worth selling on.

Any other One games, I'd just do what I do now with the 360, Vita and PS3 and just rent them... which of course is another issue, but one that I hope Microsoft will work out with their rental partners. I'm not paying MS money to rent their games, nor would I pay Lovefilm more to cover their costs. In effect, their rental strategy could be a deal breaker for me.

Anyway, unlike the livid internet hoards who have their minds made up already, me ever getting a One depends almost entirely on the software line-up. If it's worth it to get such and such game, I'll get one.
    Sums up my thoughts nicely.
    And there we have it people. A summing up of why it could be potentially disastrous for the non uber-AAA physical retail releases. Because if that becomes a consumer trend, you can wave goodbye to what little creativity is left in the larger budget side of the industry.

I personally do not want a future where I walk into a store, and am greeted with literally nothing but fucking FIFA, CoD, Battlefield, GTA, and Assassin's Creed games.

Edited by SomaticSense at 12:49:23 24-05-2013
  • Zizoo 24 May 2013 12:50:30 8,374 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What will this mean for rentals?
  • Fake_Blood 24 May 2013 12:54:36 4,209 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No more rentals at all I guess.
  • joeymoto108 24 May 2013 12:56:48 643 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Microsoft are trying to attract the AAA publishers of EA, Activision and Ubisoft. Anything lower than AAA is going to vanish in one swoop next gen if MS's preowned reports are true, and Sony follows suit. MS have already said that they're not supporting indie devs on their new console and no-one is going to risk 40 quid on a game from a dev that is yet to prove themselves.

Games like Dead Island will suffer as a result, which benefited greatly from a nice price cut when it was easily available for 20 quid and less. If there's no flexibility in the pricing the devs who are 'in the middle' are going to be destroyed.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• King_Edward 24 May 2013 12:56:50 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    What will this mean for rentals?
    They'll register the rental copy with MS' cloud, and have to pay the cost to unlock each time it's returned.

/guess.
  • Zizoo 24 May 2013 13:01:09 8,374 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't see my local video store doing that.
  • King_Edward 24 May 2013 13:02:56 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    I can't see my local video store doing that.
    Yeah. I don't think it's a plan for little guys.
  • Fake_Blood 24 May 2013 13:03:19 4,209 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    joeymoto108 wrote:
    Microsoft are trying to attract the AAA publishers of EA, Activision and Ubisoft. Anything lower than AAA is going to vanish in one swoop next gen if MS's preowned reports are true, and Sony follows suit. MS have already said that they're not supporting indie devs on their new console and no-one is going to risk 40 quid on a game from a dev that is yet to prove themselves.

Games like Dead Island will suffer as a result, which benefited greatly from a nice price cut when it was easily available for 20 quid and less. If there's no flexibility in the pricing the devs who are 'in the middle' are going to be destroyed.
    I think that the Dead Islands of the next gen just won't get a disc release at all.
    In fact I think discs will become exclusive for AAAs.
  • Mola_Ram 24 May 2013 13:09:16 7,390 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Are we sure that everything about how this is going to work has been revealed yet?
  • Tryhard 24 May 2013 13:11:57 3,973 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    There is this quote from Harrison from Kotaku website

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.

It is called spin the bottle.Lets see what answer to this problem it lands on next week.
  • RobTheBuilder 24 May 2013 13:12:37 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hope so because I don't expect any good news on this front
  • SomaticSense 24 May 2013 13:15:18 8,291 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder That'll fit the pattern then. Has there been any good news?
  • Sid-Nice 24 May 2013 13:17:04 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    I /really/ sick of hearing "Xbone" already. I hope people get bored of it soon :|
    Same here; the front page is full of Xbox One articles and the list of platforms at the top left of the front page reads like this...

Platform
    Xbox One
    PlayStation 4
    Xbox 360
    PlayStation 3
    PC
    PlayStation Network
    Wii U
    3DS
    iPhone
    iPad
    Android
    PlayStation Vita

Obviously the list isn't in alphabetical order; so I'm assuming the list was compiled on the basis of what is important to Eurogamer.

NNID Sid-Nice

• RobTheBuilder 24 May 2013 13:19:40 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SomaticSense well they haven't literally banned used games, but that seems to be it
  • morriss 24 May 2013 13:21:19 70,976 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No-one complains you can't buy 2nd hand PC games. No-one complains you can't trade them in.

That said, it doesn't seem to factor in supply and demand and console games' dwindling prices. Does the "re-activation price" drop with demand? Like say, if I buy FIFA 14 in 2017, do I still have to pay top whack.
  • RightBean 24 May 2013 13:23:34 643 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I wonder what effect it will have on retro collections etc, when all these activation systems are nolonger online. I also think it's massively wasteful, the amount of disks people will have out there just stored up gathering dust not being able to give them to somebody. I don't get it. It's a copy you own, you purchased it, you should have the right to sell or give away your property. That copy of the game is your property / Cos you bought it. Why don't the EU get involved in this instead of pissing around with things like default web browers that nobody gives a fuck about

Edited by RightBean at 13:24:54 24-05-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 24 May 2013 13:26:07 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @morriss well firstly PC gaming is usually by those with more money than the mass market console buyer. People don't like the lack of second hand, especially as new prices on steam are so ridiculous. I hazard if it wasn't for the major sales there would be more call for it.

Steam have also discussed online trading, and I hope a decent solution will be found.

Why gamers have to be the only people who aren't allowed to resell their property is a mystery to me.
  • Zizoo 24 May 2013 13:28:39 8,374 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    No-one complains you can't buy 2nd hand PC games. No-one complains you can't trade them in.

That said, it doesn't seem to factor in supply and demand and console games' dwindling prices. Does the "re-activation price" drop with demand? Like say, if I buy FIFA 14 in 2017, do I still have to pay top whack.
    PC games are just more affordable from the off.
  • morriss 24 May 2013 13:29:18 70,976 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, you're right. However, the only way MS will get the message is if no-one buys their product. :)
  • andytheadequate 24 May 2013 13:32:59 8,169 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What I don't understand is why they are making it so complicated. Banning used games would be a pain, but at least it's simple to understand, and with price drops, it's not the end of the world (see Steam as a good example). But can you imagine the mass public trying to understand this mess they've got themselves into? They don't even seem able to understand it properly themselves.

Like others have said, simply taking a game around to a friends for the evening will become more difficult. Surely they should be opening up gaming to a wider audience rather than making it more difficult? And I dread to think what will happen to game sales for non AAA games.

All the "PS4 day 1 for me then" comments do make me laugh though (generally seen on the comments rather than the forum). Sony haven't announced anything about 2nd hand yet, but I imagine they'll have a similar system in place.
  • morriss 24 May 2013 13:34:04 70,976 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    morriss wrote:

PC games are just more affordable from the off.
    No a great deal. In Denmark there's only sometimes a saving of around £5-£10 at retail. On STEAm they're a fucking joke - €50. Also, as soon as you've used the code, the game is worthless.

Again, the real issue is supply and demand and whether older games will fall in price. Paying a £35 activation fee for FIFA 14 in 2016 will be an absolute deal-breaker for me.
  • SomaticSense 24 May 2013 13:36:11 8,291 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RightBean wrote:
    I wonder what effect it will have on retro collections etc, when all these activation systems are nolonger online. I also think it's massively wasteful, the amount of disks people will have out there just stored up gathering dust not being able to give them to somebody. I don't get it. It's a copy you own, you purchased it, you should have the right to sell or give away your property. That copy of the game is your property / Cos you bought it. Why don't the EU get involved in this instead of pissing around with things like default web browers that nobody gives a fuck about
    My thoughts as well. The retro collector is a rare breed, but if anyone goes ahead and effectively bans second-hand trades (which I'll clarify is not something MS seems to be doing, but which may end up inadvertently causing), then it'll be a breed limited only to the consoles of the past. Which will be a shame, if nothing else

But also you have to wonder about those low selling but awesome games you missed out on at release which had a limited print run. That's where I've always found the used market most useful. I wouldn't have the PS2 version of Ico with the art cards without that facility.
  • andytheadequate 24 May 2013 13:36:57 8,169 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RightBean wrote:
    I also think it's massively wasteful, the amount of disks people will have out there just stored up gathering dust not being able to give them to somebody.
    This is my biggest annoyance about not being able to sell unwanted PC games. I don't mind keeping the games I enjoyed, but there are a few games in my collection that I really dislike but someone else may be able to enjoy. I should be able to gift the copy to someone.

An example of this was Far Cry 3 for me. It was a good game but gave me motion sickness. The only way I was able to give it away was to give someone my Uplay account. Ironically, the fact that Ubisoft had a separate DRM system meant that I was able to do this (it was the only Ubisoft game I owned), if I'd had it on Steam there'd be no way I'd give my Steam account away!
  • joeymoto108 24 May 2013 13:39:59 643 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Yeah, you're right. However, the only way MS will get the message is if no-one buys their product. :)
    The majority of gamers tend to be spineless numpties who, even when presented with disastrous always on games like Sim City, buy shit by the bucketload because of little self control when faced with a shiny new toy. MS know this, they're preying on those who need their next gaming fix.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• SomaticSense 24 May 2013 13:49:19 8,291 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the demographic MS are targeting, going by that horrendous presention, is the family market who can't afford a £400-500 pound premium black slab that does the same stuff as their mobile phone and remote control.
  • NewbieZilla 24 May 2013 13:53:19 239 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd suggest people go over to the Xbox.com forum thread which has a poll set up by a moderator.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/3817/t/1356129.aspx
  • RightBean 24 May 2013 13:56:10 643 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Another thing is when you sell your console, often you want to sell the games with it, but you don't necessarily want to give away your login, perhaps because a new xbox is coming out where you will use that login. So you want to reset that old box back to it's factory state and sell it along with the games... but of course you won't be able to do that will you? So you'll sell the console and just chuck those games in the bin?
  • Load_2.0 24 May 2013 14:07:44 19,268 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That is the thinking though, they don't want anyone selling games or the console second hand.

They want it in your lounge/bedroom for the next ten years, piping in all that content.

Microsoft TV, Music, Movies... blah blah blah.

There has to be a market for plug and play, no profiles, no content, no extra's. Just a console and the games.

Time for the Atari 2800jr 2.
  • AceGrace 24 May 2013 14:10:36 1,106 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wouldn't be surprised if some form of backtracking happens before launch.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last