How second hand sales on XBone will work Page 15

• Page

of 15 First / Last

Next
  • PenguinJim 29 May 2013 11:40:57 5,758 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:

Look at RightBean's comment below yours, I'm perfectly in alignment with that viewpoint, so it seems like others aren't suffering with your personal reading comprehension issues of my comments.
    Assuming that RightBean wasn't being sarcastic, their thinking is along the same lines as 'common thinking is that speeding was perfectly acceptable before speed cameras'.

vizzini wrote:

It is fun that we can have more rounds of you shuffling my quotes to produce some quasi argument I didn't make for you to interpret as hypocrisy, but your reason for this is presumably to discredit my opinion to mitigate the size of fallout from the cluster bomb MS (and possibly Sony) are dropping on gaming with X1/PS4.
    My reason for making you look like an idiot is to save gaming?

I really don't have a reason beyond beating the vizzini pinata and getting at that delicious delusion candy. :D

vizzini wrote:

Just to answer your previous questions, yes consoles(and arcade) did kickstart the “3D hardware accelerated” gaming while PCs were still using 2D accelerators and PVS algorithms on the CPU for all but the top (+£200 Titan esq owning) customers as it took until Quake3/UE2 and Pentium MMX/Pentium 2 before commodity 3D accelerators were standard in most PCs.
    Errr... I'm really not sure what to say to that. Sure, OK. Hardware 3D acceleration in PCs became standard after Quake 3: Arena's launch, and not before. (Or possibly... you became a PC gamer in 1999 and it suddenly became relevant to you?)

But I think you're doing inflation the wrong way if you're suggesting a £200 graphics card is an equivalent financial chunk of a £1,400 PC compared with an £800 graphics card as part of a £700 PC today. :confused:

vizzini wrote:

By and large the “App stores” are not the games industry, in the same way the free sky box interactive games weren't the games industry. There will be some exceptions, where the work produced is both innovative and the R&D cost was sustainable from the game's sales, instead of some re-tasked console middleware, IP or gameplay mechanics that have been ported, but no, it isn't the games industry. If the primary purpose (of mobile communication and the internet) ceased on phones and tablets then the platform would be dead, unlike say the handhelds/consoles(or pc hardware as a console) that provide a games platform primarily.
    I do agree with all of that, more or less. But I still can't see the righteousness of a normal human being supporting "draconian" software financially while condemning less "draconian" software verbally.

Still, keep it up! Your posts are wonderful entertainment. :)
  • Deleted user 29 May 2013 12:01:28
    @PenguinJim

News flash, you might be making someone else look like an idiot. ;)

I've be playing software accelerated 3D PC games since Mattrick was making 4D sports(boxing) games with avatars :) that ran on 8086XT/80286. I also played plenty of games in the arcade before that, like star wars(vector accelerated display iirc) and hard driving to name two that were true 3D accelerated, and even the Skull on the zx 48k that was software vector rendered while PCs didn't even have Roland soundcards for gaming.

Consoles/arcade brought 3D to mainstream gaming and made it technically and financial viable to all game development via commodity console hardware for consumers.

I don't support phones/tablet apps stores. Collectively we have spent less than the cost of one full retail game across all smartphone/tablet devices on digital games, music, books, compared to my £400-500 a year on physical disc games.
  • PenguinJim 29 May 2013 12:38:50 5,758 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @vizzini I won't argue about your opinion of what constitutes support, but I've spent well over £8 on Android apps (not quite £9 yet, though), and I'd describe that as supporting them. That's more than the average price of a console game on disc for me, though.

I've got to hand it to you, though, your PSN and Android purchases aside, you've certainly got stronger convictions than me. I can't resist gaming to such an extent that I've gone so far as to buy DLC - something that under your coda, you'd never be able to do in a million years. :o
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Next