Forza Motorsport 5 Page 3

• Page

of 42 First / Last

• Maturin 23 May 2013 07:58:54 2,889 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I do like the option of rewinds. Not necessarily to allow me to win every race - more to keep me in a race should the AI bundle me into an armco and destroy my car. Also when you have little kids pestering and grabbing at the controls it is very useful. :)

steoc4 wrote:
    Not dissing the new hardware, just saying we've already reached the point where this kind of game looks more than good enough and the leap to the new generation isn't all that big. Which hopefully means that if they're not spending the processing power on a big graphical leap, it means they'll have plenty left over for dynamic weather, larger number of cars on track, better AI and the like.
    There's still some way to go before I'd say the visuals are topped out. For example Forza Motorsport 4 used different models depending on the game situation. The lowest detailed ones are used in races - with other cars on the track you'll notice that the windows are heavily tinted so the game doesn't have to draw the interiors. Start a hot lap and the game uses a more detailed model with clear windows and the interior on show. Replays and photo mode use a more detailed model, and Autovista an even higher one. So what one would hope for the next generation is car models as detailed as the higher level ones from FM4 - at least the in game ones if not Autovista. Anti aliasing can be much improved too.

There's definitely room for improvement on FM4 lgihting too, which has a somewhat cartoon-like look at times compared to Gran Turismo 5. Surface shaders will make a big different here and the Forza 5 reveal saw a deliberate close up of a metallic flake paint job to show Turn10 is working on this kind of thing. Notice also in the Forza 5 reveal that there are now much better reflections on glass compared to FM4 - whose glass was almost invisible.

Where I think there could be the most improvement in addition to basic levels of detail are the atmospheric effects - lighting, weathers and particles. You only have to see a game where any time of day and weather condition is possible such as Project Cars - to appreciate how much more one can do with racing game graphics compared to Forza 4 and GT5.

One of the biggests shifts though is a move - hopefully - to 1080p. There are no 1080p racers in the current console generation. Even Gran Turismo 5 runs an upscaled version of 1280x1080 rather than true 1920x1080. I recently bought a 32" 1080p TV for my study. With three young kids in the house the opportunity to play anything with a 12 rating or higher was becoming difficult in the lounge. So now I have this TV hooked up to my PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. Believe me there's a massive difference in visual quality compared to Forza Motorsport 4 and the PC version of Shift 2. For all its faults in handling terms (actually its infinitely better on PC than console in this regard) Shift 2 is stunning to look at full details and 1080p. The detail and atmosphere in Shift 2 is breathtaking on PC at higher settings and the new generation of consoles should at the very least achieve this level.

And then we have Project Cars, a next gen game if there ever was one. The game isn't finished yet and is already looking amazing. Below are some screenshots I grabbed in a build from a month or two ago. These aren't photo mode shots, this is what the game actually looks like when you're playing it:

EDIT: Tidied up thread a bit by removing image links in this post.

Edited by Maturin at 17:52:08 30-05-2013
  • Spunkweazle 23 May 2013 08:17:14 470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Maturin those screens look impressive, would be nice to see some other cars in shot.
    Is it coming to consoles or PC?

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• sanctusmortis 23 May 2013 08:28:44 9,627 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    According to this, everything currently out - PS3/PC/WiiU/360. Which means those pics are PC. Because I don't believe for a frigging second my 360 could do that. Or indeed my PC.
  • Maturin 23 May 2013 08:35:16 2,889 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The shots above I took myself from the PC version. But it is coming to consoles too.

Since I grabbed those shots the game looks even better thanks to a new downsampling option for AA.

Spunkweazle wrote:
    @Maturin those screens look impressive, would be nice to see some other cars in shot.
    Is it coming to consoles or PC?
    I'll grab some shots later with other cars in.

Edited by Maturin at 08:35:59 23-05-2013
  • Maturin 23 May 2013 09:05:22 2,889 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Right then. Here we go. Some new pCars screenshots I've just grabbed from the latest build. You can open them in a new tab to view them full size. To make the upload smaller these are 90 percent quality from the full screen grab, but they still look good:

Edit: Tidied thread a bit by removing images from this post.

Had the HUD on the first few. Switched it off for the rest. Last few shots are from a track many of you would like in Forza 5.

Edited by Maturin at 17:52:39 30-05-2013
  • DFawkes 23 May 2013 10:14:37 22,588 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I'm certainly sold on Project Cars now :) I would probably go for a PC upgrade though, rather than a console version (can't really see it coming out on Wii U, despite what they suggest). Is there any way to try out the PC one just now? I remember there being issues due to its funding model.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Maturin 23 May 2013 10:35:02 2,889 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Psychotext 23 May 2013 10:40:03 53,802 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently this is now the PCars thread.
  • DFawkes 23 May 2013 10:43:47 22,588 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heck, not much else to chat about until they put out some new Forza 5 shots or videos. Project Cars is just a nice look at what a next gen racing game could look like. Not that I expect Forza 5 will look as good, but there are a few little effects in PCars that I'd like to see in Forza 5, if it's feasible.

• Widge Moderator 23 May 2013 10:55:35 13,252 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Maturin Any news on when that is coming out? How is it like to play? As a casual GT5-er, would I get joy from it? Is there going to be a nice array of road cars in it? Plus some shitmobiles?

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Kostabi 23 May 2013 10:58:27 4,874 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One thing I'd like in Forza 5 is static cameras in the replays. It's always seemed pointless to me that a game will go for realism and then produce the replays as if every cameraman is Iron Man.
  • DFawkes 23 May 2013 12:01:23 22,588 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh yeah, I'd love that. Maybe even a Director Mode if they're really feeling generous. For all it's faults, I loved Driver 3's Director Mode, and that was in an open city. Surely it can't be the hardest thing in the world to have manually movable stationary cameras?

• meggsy 23 May 2013 12:10:55 1,628 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved racing with the EG guys in Forza 3, missed Forza 4 and now undecided on 5. Nothing to do with the game, which will be more of the same but better (hopefully) but more specifically the console it's on(e) not impressing much so far.

I have a Driving Force GT wheel which I use for pcars, F1 etc on the pc, and with the incompatibility issues I might finally jump in on PS3 with GT6 if the community is here.

3DS: 3454-0647-5991

• Kostabi 23 May 2013 12:12:30 4,874 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, that mode was brilliant and yet totally forgotten.

I think it just comes down to either time constraints or laziness as the dynamic cameras are the same for all tracks but it's probably not a quick job to get 15-20 cameras per track right for that TV feel.

It's something I thought they'd be keen on as moving cameras rob the cars of any sense of speed.
  • shamblemonkee 23 May 2013 12:48:30 14,257 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pCars looks great but in it's current state of development leaves a hefty chunk to be desired on how it feels and drives.
  • Maturin 23 May 2013 13:42:06 2,889 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    pCars looks great but in it's current state of development leaves a hefty chunk to be desired on how it feels and drives.
    True. And cars have been a bit borked in recent builds as they've tried different tire modelling.
  • SomaticSense 23 May 2013 13:53:05 7,940 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    One thing I'd like in Forza 5 is static cameras in the replays. It's always seemed pointless to me that a game will go for realism and then produce the replays as if every cameraman is Iron Man.
    Fuck yes.

This has bugged my pedantically cursed mind since GT1.
  • Maturin 23 May 2013 14:04:41 2,889 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Kostabi wrote:
    Fuck yes.

This has bugged my pedantically cursed mind since GT1.
    Me too. I want a "TV Cameras" option. Forza Horizon is particularly bad for this. And the whole "open road" excuse is nonsense. As most races take place on set courses that could have had cameras assigned.
  • Maturin 23 May 2013 14:14:35 2,889 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just read something interesting. The new Need for Speed is likely to have Ferrari in for the first time in ages. Which might mean Turn10 has struck a deal with EA. NFS gets Ferrari and Forza 5 gets Porsche.
  • brokenkey 23 May 2013 18:24:07 6,944 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does CARS have slow cars in it? ie, the sort of car you might drive in real life?

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• shamblemonkee 23 May 2013 18:52:30 14,257 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    a couple but it really is going down the club racer to pro route so the street cars are limited.

there's a focus rs, mitsubishi, mercedes, caterham
  • RobTheBuilder 23 May 2013 18:54:58 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If it doesn't have a Mazda Demio...
  • SomaticSense 23 May 2013 23:52:06 7,940 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Just read something interesting. The new Need for Speed is likely to have Ferrari in for the first time in ages. Which might mean Turn10 has struck a deal with EA. NFS gets Ferrari and Forza 5 gets Porsche.
    Or EA just struck a deal with Ferrari?

I highly doubt that licencing deals struck with car manufacturers allow the developers the right to then flog it to anyone else.

Besides, Porsches were in FM4 anyway eventually.

Edited by SomaticSense at 23:55:18 23-05-2013
  • Maturin 24 May 2013 00:01:37 2,889 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    I highly doubt that licencing deals struck with car manufacturers allow the developers the right to then flog it to anyone else.

Besides, Porsches were in FM4 anyway eventually.
    It's true. Sublicensing really does happen.

Porches were in FM4 precisely because MS/Turn10 struck a deal with EA.

From EG story:

"When we announced that Porsche wasn't going to be in Forza 4, we didn't stop talking," Turn 10's Dan Greenawalt told Eurogamer. "We announced it because we could no longer get it into the game - production-wise, it was too late.

"We kept talking to Porsche, and we kept talking to EA - no-one wants to take Porsche away from the fans. We kept talking and talking until we found an agreeable situation, and now it's win-win. We've got Porsche coming into the game in a big way. EA's satisfied, Microsoft's satisfied and Porsche's satisfied."
    Edited by Maturin at 00:09:15 24-05-2013
  • fletch7100 6 Jun 2013 09:53:14 6,935 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    1080p 60FPS confirmed

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/411067/forza-5-to-run-at-60fps-in-1080p-resolution/
  • Maturin 6 Jun 2013 10:05:02 2,889 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I saw that in the Gamespot video last night. Very good news. That was one thing I felt FM5 had to have.
  • HeliosT10 EMEA Community Manager, Turn 10 6 Jun 2013 13:30:22 11 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That's native 1080p as well.
  • Khanivor 6 Jun 2013 13:44:42 40,380 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Will it have M0t0rb1k3s?
  • brokenkey 6 Jun 2013 18:19:08 6,944 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "When we announced that Porsche wasn't going to be in Forza 4, we didn't stop talking," Turn 10's Dan Greenawalt told Eurogamer. "We announced it because we could no longer get it into the game - production-wise, it was too late.

"We kept talking to Porsche, and we kept talking to EA - no-one wants to take Porsche away from the fans. We kept talking and talking until we found an agreeable situation, and now it's win-win. We've got Porsche coming into the game in a big way. EA's satisfied, Microsoft's satisfied and Porsche's satisfied."
    And customers pay extra.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Baihu1983 8 Jun 2013 21:26:35 3,278 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago

• Page

of 42 First / Last