The death of preowned console games Page 2

  • Page

    of 8 First / Last

  • Steve_Perry 21 May 2013 20:27:05 5,200 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fuck consoles then. Get a pc.
  • dominalien 21 May 2013 20:28:15 7,065 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Great news for those with kids.

    "Dad, dad, can I play FIFA 15 please"

    "No, because I've either got to pay another fee so you can play it on your own profile, or I've got to let you play as my profile. And I don't want losses on my profile because you're shit and have tiny fingers.

    Also, PES is better. Twat."
    I wonder what Sony will do with this. Right now there's no problem playing games downloaded from PSN on the same console on other profiles...

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Kid_Icarus 21 May 2013 20:29:55 555 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What we know:
    - New games tied to an account
    - Mandatory installs
    - Disc not required to play
    - Fee to install pre-owned games and play from the hard drive

    It doesn't look good, but for all we know it could just be an option to avoid having to switch discs, with PS3 style mandatory installs and a fee to avoid abuse.
    Wishful thinking I know, but we'll have to wait a bit longer to find out.

    To me it's not much different to the EG interview after Sony's conference. When asked if the PS4 could play used games, the guy had to consult someone else before giving an oddly worded answer.

    Neither are looking good, but it's all still rumours for now.
  • MrWonderstuff 21 May 2013 20:30:47 1,969 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Steve_Perry Steam is quite similar to this is it not? In fact it's worse as you can't sell on preowned games which have been digitally downloaded.
  • bobdebob 21 May 2013 20:31:29 599 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maybe a video games crash is in the cards.

    I don't understand why they're so desperate to kill the 2nd hands market when people use it to buy new games.
  • Aretak 21 May 2013 20:31:45 10,376 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Great news for those with kids.

    "Dad, dad, can I play FIFA 15 please"

    "No, because I've either got to pay another fee so you can play it on your own profile, or I've got to let you play as my profile. And I don't want losses on my profile because you're shit and have tiny fingers.

    Also, PES is better. Twat."
    I wonder what Sony will do with this. Right now there's no problem playing games downloaded from PSN on the same console on other profiles...
    But right now there's also no problem with just downloading your Live profile to another 360 and playing all your stuff on it. I think Sony will probably take a similar direction.
  • kentmonkey 21 May 2013 20:32:07 20,930 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    @Steve_Perry Steam is quite similar to this is it not? In fact it's worse as you can't sell on preowned games which have been digitally downloaded.
    And cost anywhere from 49p up to about 20 tops.

    MS games, while nobody knows 'for sure', I'll hand deliver a box of Jaffa Cakes if any launch game launches for less than 39.99 RRP.

    I'd be very surprised if any game launches for less than 49.99.
  • Deleted user 21 May 2013 20:34:42
    The top seller on Steam right now is Metro: Last Light, which is 35GPB/$50. Just a bit under that is the pre-order for Total War 2, which is 45GPB/$60. Big titles still sell at RRP rates on PC.
  • INSOMANiAC 21 May 2013 20:36:33 3,842 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @kentmonkey This is the point, if the console go 'to war' on price and bring the RRP down and have Steam style pricing then I'd be all for it, Im not adverse to giving publishers all my money, I buy a fuck of a lot of Steam games, a lot of which I don't even play. But I just dont envision a future where console games are dropping at the same rate, as you say, its going to be 49.99 for a game.

    I really wouldn't be surprised to see 'Steam box' becoming the next big 'console' once parents get onto the fact the games are so much cheaper, assuming the price of the machines is right. The only thing stopping it is the fact it'll be linux, and while you can install windows on it, that will be a bridge too far for your average parent.

    Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

  • bad09 21 May 2013 20:37:28 6,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    @Steve_Perry Steam is quite similar to this is it not? In fact it's worse as you can't sell on preowned games which have been digitally downloaded.
    Not just Steam and Steamworks games. Origin, Uplay whatever piece of arse a developer wants to force on you. As I said on the previous page though price is key. Losing your rights isn't that bad when you can pay less than pint for a game if you are a little patient....but yeah, full price PC god knows why people pay it in the platforms current state :)

    Edited by bad09 at 20:38:40 21-05-2013
  • Deleted user 21 May 2013 20:40:13
    This is one of those things that everyone will be up in arms about until 2 months after release and then they'll never give a shit again.

    It's been like this on PCs for years, no one cares there. No one cared when they were buying games off download stores either.
  • kentmonkey 21 May 2013 20:42:26 20,930 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like how you speak for everyone and know what we truly feel about it. It's uncanny.
  • INSOMANiAC 21 May 2013 20:43:57 3,842 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Update: Microsoft has addressed the issue of Xbox One second-hand games... sort of. When asked about the possibility of trading or buying pre-ordered games on the console's official FAQ, Microsoft said, "We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We'll have more details to share later."

    Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

  • Aretak 21 May 2013 20:44:00 10,376 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    This is one of those things that everyone will be up in arms about until 2 months after release and then they'll never give a shit again.

    It's been like this on PCs for years, no one cares there. No one cared when they were buying games off download stores either.
    Absolute bollocks. Nobody complains about it on PC because the price of PC games is so low. The console version is going to have all the drawbacks and none of the benefits.
  • bad09 21 May 2013 20:47:43 6,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Even with the rock bottom pricing people do still complain on PC anyway, DRM is the biggest complaint you get :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 21 May 2013 20:48:18 35,854 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    This is one of those things that everyone will be up in arms about until 2 months after release and then they'll never give a shit again.

    It's been like this on PCs for years, no one cares there. No one cared when they were buying games off download stores either.
    Absolute bollocks. Nobody complains about it on PC because the price of PC games is so low. The console version is going to have all the drawbacks and none of the benefits.
    New PC games cost just a little less than console games, and regularly peak the Steam charts, as pointed out already.

    People who are decidedly against it will stop buying games and won't be heard of again, and the rest won't care. It's hardly something you can successfully protest against except by voting with your wallet (and therefore automatically falling out of the target demographic).
  • andytheadequate 21 May 2013 20:49:44 8,363 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    This is one of those things that everyone will be up in arms about until 2 months after release and then they'll never give a shit again.

    It's been like this on PCs for years, no one cares there. No one cared when they were buying games off download stores either.
    Absolute bollocks. Nobody complains about it on PC because the price of PC games is so low. The console version is going to have all the drawbacks and none of the benefits.
    Or console games will also become as cheap as pc games? If console games keep their high price then it will be terrible for gamers if they make it harder to trade in, but if prices come down as a result then we'll be no worse off
  • Deleted user 21 May 2013 20:50:38
    It's worth mentioning that, as far as I'm aware, the Steam bestseller list is also only calculated through their own sales, so Gamersgate/Amazon, Humble Bundle or dodgy Russian keys don't influence it. All you can really say about the PC market is that, by divorcing itself from physical retail, you end up with a much wider and more fluid range of prices, not that they're abstractly cheaper.

    Edited by meme at 20:51:49 21-05-2013
  • Aretak 21 May 2013 20:51:10 10,376 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    New PC games cost just a little less than console games
    The last PC game I bought at launch was Bioshock Infinite, which I pre-ordered for 23 and got Spec Ops: The Line, XCOM and the original Bioshock thrown in free to boot. That's more than "just a little less" in my book.
  • RobTheBuilder 21 May 2013 20:51:21 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @bobdebob because they are desperate to make games download only and maximise their profits by keeping prices high. The problem is they are ignoring a. What customers want, b. that used game sales drive new game sales, and c. The casual market they desperately want is the largest market for cheap used games
  • INSOMANiAC 21 May 2013 20:53:35 3,842 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Aretak wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    This is one of those things that everyone will be up in arms about until 2 months after release and then they'll never give a shit again.

    It's been like this on PCs for years, no one cares there. No one cared when they were buying games off download stores either.
    Absolute bollocks. Nobody complains about it on PC because the price of PC games is so low. The console version is going to have all the drawbacks and none of the benefits.
    New PC games cost just a little less than console games, and regularly peak the Steam charts, as pointed out already.

    People who are decidedly against it will stop buying games and won't be heard of again, and the rest won't care. It's hardly something you can successfully protest against except by voting with your wallet (and therefore automatically falling out of the target demographic).
    Im going to make a massive generalisation and say the PC gamers tend to be 'hardcore gamers' who dont mind spending 300 quid on a graphics card, they have the disposable income to buy a game they cant trade in at 30 quid, because they are playing a version usually superior to the console version. A large number of console games will be bought by parent for kids and once they see they cant trade them in (except for some dodgy trade in scheme by Microsoft, yet to be announced) how long are they going to keep playing the 'sure Johnny, you can buy a game download for 40 quid you are only going to play for four hours' game?

    Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

  • UncleLou Moderator 21 May 2013 20:55:22 35,854 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    New PC games cost just a little less than console games
    The last PC game I bought at launch was Bioshock Infinite, which I pre-ordered for 23 and got Spec Ops: The Line, XCOM and the original Bioshock thrown in free to boot. That's more than "just a little less" in my book.
    And I've bought Metro: LL on Steam yesterday, for 49.99, it's at the top of the charts, and ordering the console version on amazon.co.uk would have been cheaper...

    Edited by UncleLou at 20:56:00 21-05-2013
  • bad09 21 May 2013 20:55:27 6,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Or console games will also become as cheap as pc games? If console games keep their high price then it will be terrible for gamers if they make it harder to trade in, but if prices come down as a result then we'll be no worse off
    Console games are sold on the high street, you won't see PC style digital sales on consoles as it will upset retail (espeically if 2nd hand is being messed with). We've already seen how it will go on this gen with Live and PSN, you'll get some digital sales but nothing meaningful for a long time.

    Consoles games will also never be as cheap as PC anyway as you have the license fees to think about to.
  • Deleted user 21 May 2013 20:57:59
    PC games were still sold on the high street for several years after Steam got going. It won't be until at least mid-gen that you can make any sort of judgment or conclusion. The fact that they're apparently doing this whole second-hand retail fee proves that they're quite happy to fuck with physical retail.
  • UncleLou Moderator 21 May 2013 21:00:12 35,854 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC That's probably a fair point, although I'd think a console gamer who uses his "old" games to subsidise his new ones is just as "hardcore". I am not sure your average attach rate gamer who buys Fifa, Cod and Need for Speed every two years, and not much else, really frequents second hand stores.

    Edited by UncleLou at 21:00:48 21-05-2013
  • Kid_Icarus 21 May 2013 21:01:37 555 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    New PC games cost just a little less than console games
    The last PC game I bought at launch was Bioshock Infinite, which I pre-ordered for 23 and got Spec Ops: The Line, XCOM and the original Bioshock thrown in free to boot. That's more than "just a little less" in my book.
    That's not exactly the norm though, it's more like Tesco selling the latest CoD for 20.
    It was a loss leader to get your attention and make you shop there more often in the future.

    Mind you, the 10 lower RRP of PC games would still be more than "just a little less" imo.
  • INSOMANiAC 21 May 2013 21:04:22 3,842 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @UncleLou I can tell you now that what you say is true from experience. I owned a games shop until two months ago and I closed it down for that, amongst other reasons. Kids only want to play 3 games these days and we all know what they are, there parents will be happy to pay 40 quid for an online copy of cod thatll last a year, but not so much for the other games they want on a whim.

    Edited by INSOMANiAC at 21:04:40 21-05-2013

    Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

  • Aretak 21 May 2013 21:09:08 10,376 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Aretak wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    New PC games cost just a little less than console games
    The last PC game I bought at launch was Bioshock Infinite, which I pre-ordered for 23 and got Spec Ops: The Line, XCOM and the original Bioshock thrown in free to boot. That's more than "just a little less" in my book.
    And I've bought Metro: LL on Steam yesterday, for 49.99, it's at the top of the charts, and ordering the console version on amazon.co.uk would have been cheaper...
    So you bought a game directly from Steam, which is generally by far the most expensive option for new PC releases, and that's evidence that PC games cost as much (or more) than console games? So what if I go onto PSN and buy one of the 60 downloadable retail releases on there? That'd be a fair reflection of the price of console games, right?

    It's simply a fact that most new PC games are available, in the UK at least, for around the 20-25 mark if you have a little common sense and shop around. New console releases are generally at least 10 more than that, and IMO the price of console games is only going to go up with the next generation.
  • bad09 21 May 2013 21:18:24 6,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aretak wrote:IMO the price of console games is only going to go up with the next generation.
    They'll at be least 50 notes at launch, considering that's actually the RRP now for a lot of the big names maybe even higher.
  • Deleted user 21 May 2013 21:30:21
    Aretak wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    This is one of those things that everyone will be up in arms about until 2 months after release and then they'll never give a shit again.

    It's been like this on PCs for years, no one cares there. No one cared when they were buying games off download stores either.
    Absolute bollocks. Nobody complains about it on PC because the price of PC games is so low. The console version is going to have all the drawbacks and none of the benefits.
    40 is so low? I'm sure your point is right if you deliberately ignore any relevant fact.
  • Page

    of 8 First / Last

Log in or register to reply