The death of preowned console games

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • INSOMANiAC 21 May 2013 19:59:18 3,842 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So Microsoft basically stealthily announced the death of preowned games today. All games are saved to hard drive and one account, the disc is basically an installation disc and all further install are charged a fee.

The thing is, this fee is going to have to be high as if it were for example 8-9 quid, everyone could use one 'installation disc' and install the latest game for 8 quid each.

Console gaming as we know it is ending very soon!

I can only assume they have colluded with Sony and they will be offering the same 'service' or would Microsoft be stupid enough to try this shit on their own??

Update: Microsoft has addressed the issue of Xbox One second-hand games... sort of. When asked about the possibility of trading or buying pre-ordered games on the console's official FAQ, Microsoft said, "We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We'll have more details to share later."
    Further update:

Now Microsoft are saying you can sell preowned games and they'll be deactivated from you machine. Pointless having this DRM in the first place then except to cause initial confusion

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 21:54:14 21-05-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• RobTheBuilder 21 May 2013 20:01:05 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well if Sony are smart enough not to do this...
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 May 2013 20:01:15 26,579 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can only imagine they'll both be doing it. Surprised it's taken this long to be honest, the PC's pretty much been doing it for years.
  • Syrette 21 May 2013 20:03:48 44,207 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait till Sony say something before coming out with such massively melodramatic threads next time please.

Personally more bothered about how this affects the rental market, as that's where most of my games come from. If I have to pay more to play on Xbox One over PS4 then I'm never getting a One.

• dominalien 21 May 2013 20:04:13 7,065 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK, so I didn't watch the presentation after all as I had a meeting with a client, but:

They actually SAID they'd charge people a fee for installing a game they already own again? Like when I run out of space on the HDD and have to delete some stuff, I'll need to pay for it again if I want to get back to it?

PSN: DonOsito

• INSOMANiAC 21 May 2013 20:05:20 3,842 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @dominalien http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

They didnt have the bottle to announce it during the conference, it was in a side bit with some journalists I think

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 20:08:01 21-05-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• StarchildHypocrethes 21 May 2013 20:05:45 26,579 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    OK, so I didn't watch the presentation after all as I had a meeting with a client, but:

They actually SAID they'd charge people a fee for installing a game they already own again? Like when I run out of space on the HDD and have to delete some stuff, I'll need to pay for it again if I want to get back to it?
    I didn't watch but I'd imagine it's just tied to your account.
  • Syrette 21 May 2013 20:06:14 44,207 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dominalien wrote:

No, it's tied to your Live account.

• TheSaint 21 May 2013 20:06:38 14,826 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RIP pube infested second hand games.
  • neilka 21 May 2013 20:06:39 16,523 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dominalien wrote:

Yes, and there's a slot on the side of the console you have to put 50p in every time you start a new game.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• INSOMANiAC 21 May 2013 20:06:49 3,842 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Syrette It felt a little bit melodramatic but to be honest, I dont think it is. I mean, what are the chances Sony arent going to be doing the same, couple it with the 'coincidence' that EA stopped online passes. It looks pretty compelling

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• King_Edward 21 May 2013 20:07:21 11,471 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I can only imagine they'll both be doing it. Surprised it's taken this long to be honest, the PC's pretty much been doing it for years.
    This. The only thing holding them both back was not wanting to announce it first.

Sony were very slippery about the question.

Edited by King_Edward at 20:08:01 21-05-2013
  • Metalfish 21 May 2013 20:07:31 8,874 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I haven't read anything to do with this. But, you know, one word:

Steam.

They're doing that. Probably.
  • Feanor 21 May 2013 20:09:27 14,185 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't buy second hand games anymore or loan them out, so being able to install new games but not have to keep the disc in the drive is worth it to me.
  • dominalien 21 May 2013 20:09:32 7,065 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, ok, tied to account. The way I understood the OP was I'd have to pay again if I wanted to reinstall the game for myself. Which would have been the most moronic thing in the entire world.

I can see this as being a massive draw for publishers, but I think it's a very short-term policy that will discourage a lot of people ("consumers").

I wonder what the EU will have to say about this. I wonder what would happen if MS threatened to refuse to sell the XO in Europe. I don't think it'd work, certainly not the way them refusing to sell Windows and Office in order to spite legislators (now can you imagine THAT happening?).

Edited by dominalien at 20:11:30 21-05-2013

• ecu 21 May 2013 20:10:04 77,305 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I expect we'll see more game sales, similar to Steam. Microsoft had an Xbox Live sale recently where it had games available for less than 5, and apparently sales went through the roof. We all know how successful Steam's sales are, and PS+ is hugely popular and does great business. I can't see Microsoft fixing all their prices to 40 constantly. This is just another step away from physical media, and downloads will become the more dominant format in terms of sales before too long.
  • Syrette 21 May 2013 20:10:35 44,207 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If Sony do it then they can both get fucked*.

Sort of.

Again, want to know what the rental players will do.

* Given the choice I'd have to go with PS4 due to no XBL fee.

• dominalien 21 May 2013 20:10:55 7,065 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder how they're going to do it technically. Make every disc different? That would be prohibitively expensive I imagine.

My bet is on a code in the box.

• the_rydster 21 May 2013 20:12:59 9 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wonder how Game are feeling about this? I only buy games from the high street cos I can trade in.

I hope Sony don't do this. I'll swap over to Playstation if they don't. MS are greedy enough as it is with the online fees.
  • dominalien 21 May 2013 20:13:03 7,065 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    If Sony do it then they can both get fucked*.

Sort of.

* Given the choice I'd have to go with PS4 due to no XBL fee.
    If they both do it, people will just go along with it, seeing as they'll have little choice (if they want to keep gaming on consoles). If only MS does it, it will have won with publishers, but lost with customers. It can go either way.

• Aretak 21 May 2013 20:13:39 10,375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    I'd say it's the end of the rental market. In theory it'd be possible for them to distribute limited-time access codes to the rental company that they can give you with the game, but that's unrealistic given that the concept of a number of nights for a rental is all but dead, with most allowing you to keep things as long as you like for a flat monthly fee.
  • RobTheBuilder 21 May 2013 20:15:09 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @dominalien they said about a chip type code on the disc.
  • dominalien 21 May 2013 20:16:16 7,065 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @dominalien they said about a chip type code on the disc.
    Ah, ok.

Still sucks. :-(

• INSOMANiAC 21 May 2013 20:16:35 3,842 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well at least we know what these 3 billion servers are for, big brother checking you havent dared to buy a preowned game

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• kentmonkey 21 May 2013 20:16:47 20,923 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great news for those with kids.

"Dad, dad, can I play FIFA 15 please"

"No, because I've either got to pay another fee so you can play it on your own profile, or I've got to let you play as my profile. And I don't want losses on my profile because you're shit and have tiny fingers.

Also, PES is better. Twat."
  • fletch7100 21 May 2013 20:17:06 7,446 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm sure you will need the disc in the console to play just for a security check, exactly the same now as it is for the 360. They are just Replacing the online pass fee for 2nd hand games with this instead. So everyone gets a share of the 2nd hand market

Everything will be a mandatory install mainly because of the BR drive speed, play game from hard drive faster speeds less wear and tear on the lens etc, all developers will make their games with this in mind, not like the early 360 when the HD was optional.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/xbox-one-does-not-need-always-on-connection-supports-pre-owned-games-1153277

Edited by fletch7100 at 20:20:22 21-05-2013
  • bad09 21 May 2013 20:17:10 6,254 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Yeah but difference is PC games can be bought in the single figures on a download. Our right to sell on goods has gone but the price of those goods are rock bottom and there is no high street presence as retailers don't even bother stocking them anymore as they don't come back to them.

50 pound games that may have little resale value is playing with fire in an already dwindling console market where many retailers rely on 2nd hand to actually survive.
  • bobdebob 21 May 2013 20:24:20 599 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I predict fewer games being bought and they will be of only two types: brand names where you know what you are going to get and cheap live/indie games.

INSOMANiAC wrote:
    The thing is, this fee is going to have to be high as if it were for example 8-9 quid, everyone could use one 'installation disc' and install the latest game for 8 quid each.
    This should be interesting.

Edited by bobdebob at 20:24:57 21-05-2013
  • Deleted user 21 May 2013 20:25:50
    Finally, a way to remove the paupers and proles from the gaming industry.
  • INSOMANiAC 21 May 2013 20:26:53 3,842 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    I'm sure you will need the disc in the console to play just for a security check
    Well, you're wrong, but don't let that stop you being sure. They have specifically stated you dont need the disc in the Machine. Just like you don't when you install a PC game, and you can play (most of them) offline as well!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous