Freedom Wars

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • HiddenAway 21 May 2013 12:01:08 14,856 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Platform was only just confirmed today (formerly Panopticon). Looks Monster Hunter-esque but it's genre has been placed in "Recovery" Multiplayer Action.

Developed by Japan Studio. At the moment it's Vita exclusive. Releasing in 2014.

The original reveal trailer
    Official website

New trailer:

Edited by HiddenAway at 12:20:17 21-05-2013

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• LockeTribal 21 May 2013 12:10:27 4,493 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looks interesting, one to keep an eye on for sure.
  • dominalien 21 May 2013 12:20:59 6,829 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, so it _is_ on the Vita.

Splendid.

PSN: DonOsito

• Zizoo 21 May 2013 12:22:20 8,099 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Very interesting, but I prefer the original name.
  • dominalien 21 May 2013 12:23:17 6,829 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, Panopticon was better. FW is just generic.

• HiddenAway 21 May 2013 12:28:58 14,856 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Translation and thoughts from NeoGAF:

The "criminals" in this world are those who have committed the crime of simply being alive. Sounds like population control to me. These criminals are then forced into manual labor to reduce their own sentences - they're turned into "volunteers" for the battlefield, where they have to help to capture citizens who are presumably trying to escape. By doing so they hope to gain their own freedom.

Looking through the site, it sounds like the game designed entirely to be a semi-massive multiplayer action game. Everyone plays as a criminal, and there is a support partner who does surveillance for you. Then you form into teams to complete objectives which aims to decrease your sentence, but some of these might involve fighting other teams who are working against you.
    Panopticon is the prison apparently.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Flying_Pig 21 May 2013 12:38:32 10,681 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Loved the trailer and am thrilled that this is a Vita exclusive, however the mention of it being a MMO, puts me off, as I rarely play online on the Vita (mainly 'cos I play it on the train).

Prefer the original name too :|
  • dominalien 21 May 2013 12:43:04 6,829 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, MMO. Not so splendid after all.

• bunglebonce 21 May 2013 12:50:43 2,106 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why is the main boy dressing up as Jake from Advance Wars?

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• aros 22 May 2013 19:31:28 2,559 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll definitely pick this up, looked really interesting from the trailer. Hopefully it will be an open game to differentiate it from Soul Sacrifice

Edited by aros at 19:33:07 22-05-2013
  • Flying_Pig 22 May 2013 23:28:20 10,681 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Santashi's very thorough post from the, now locked, other thread...

santashi wrote:
    What is it?
    It's a hunting type game.

The future's a bit crappy and the majority of people in Panopticon are doing penal servitude, which involves going on missions to help the war effort: saving people and beating up large scale enemies using a range of weapons. They presumably thought it would be less exciting if it just involved the 'criminals/volunteers' tidying elderly people's gardens. This counts towards your, er, 1,000,000 year sentence.

You are accompanied by a customisable android who keeps an eye on you.

Any notable features?
    -Online multiplayer (competitive and co-operative) for up to 8 players (wifi and adhoc).
    -Uses GPS(!).
    -Uses Near.

Links?
    Official Japanese website

When's it out?
    2014 in Japan, and presumably (hopefully!) 2014 everywhere else, too.

Trailer?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG2PeeQZGXw
  • Flying_Pig 27 Mar 2014 17:34:44 10,681 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New info, screens and trailer
  • karlo87 29 Mar 2014 02:03:57 1,258 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I remember being so let down by the actual gameplay reveal of this, the first trailer had me hyped an actual JRPG was coming to the Vita, but it was just another enclosed area action brawler game.

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• brandon-flowers 11 Jun 2014 11:31:38 182 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks good
  • aros 11 Jun 2014 13:04:03 2,559 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The game sounds fairly decent but it really does suck it's another boss hunting game rather than a proper RPG or action game.
  • aros 11 Jun 2014 13:04:23 2,559 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Boss hunting games seem like they should be a mode of a fuller title IMO.
  • uiruki 12 Jun 2014 08:34:47 3,658 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played the demo. It reminds me a lot of Lost Planet with the grapple, the machine guns and the grenades. It's definitely set up for some 4-on-4 action as well. Main gripes so far are that there's no motion sensor aiming option and that your default walk speed is really slow.
  • ilmaestro 14 Jun 2014 03:23:12 32,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also chiming in from demo land. This game is sweet! Like uiruki says, the Lost Planet influences are weirdly unexpected, but I loved that game so I'm down with it.

Zipping around using the grappling hook is nippy enough to make up for the slow walk speed, at first glance. Switching between ranged and melee weapons works smoothly too.

Nice touches where you can (rather than decreasing your "sentence" by hunting monsters and gathering items) have time added on to your prison stint for breaking such sacred rules as moving around your cell too much (got an extra ten years for that one, seemed harsh).

• aros 16 Jun 2014 09:18:03 2,559 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thats pretty cool Ilmaestro - I think it will be fun breaking the rules!
  • Flying_Pig 28 Jun 2014 20:30:27 10,681 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    12 minutes of gameplay
  • uiruki 28 Jun 2014 20:44:33 3,658 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is really good. The first mission where you actually fight an enemy "team" is intense and actually quite a difficulty spike.

There's a lot more story outside of the missions than you would expect, and it's at that point where the rules do get a bit irritating. That's kind of the point though, and it looks like you can eventually relax those.

Edited by uiruki at 20:45:54 28-06-2014
  • Flying_Pig 3 Jul 2014 12:56:36 10,681 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just to flag up - it's been confirmed on the PS Blog that UK/EU will only be getting this game digitally - no physical release for Freedom Wars. Odd decision, IMO, and lots of people on the Blog are up in arms about it. But if you really want a physical copy, it will be available in the US.
  • uiruki 3 Jul 2014 13:20:58 3,658 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lots of people complaining about the difficulty on Amazon reviews. I haven't found it too troublesome so far but I am apparently now coming up to where it gets really hard. Just got beaten by an enemy team plus abductor, but I think I can put that down to not knowing the map as some of the capture points are in odd places.
  • santashi 4 Jul 2014 05:31:56 5,044 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I was surprised when I saw the Amazon reviews. I thought it might get a better reception than that.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a games programmer the other day, who was explaining how he changes difficulty settings depending on the region.

Also surprised by the digital only release, given the last similarly publicised game, Soul Sacrifice, was physical.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• ilmaestro 4 Jul 2014 05:40:13 32,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Digital only releases teach people what's good for them. I'm all for it on Vita.

• hypoBla5t 4 Jul 2014 07:37:24 1,359 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't mind tbh. When's release?
  • uiruki 8 Jul 2014 17:28:45 3,658 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Preliminary details of patch 1.04 have been released. They're adding a couple of control schemes and allowing you to use the thorn while running. They're also tuning a few missions in particular for difficulty - nothing on general difficulty. I've played all but one of the missions named and don't recall particularly having trouble. I'll be playing the final named mission from that list so I'll see what that's like pre-patch.

What they really need to do is un-F2P the crafting. I don't mind the timer but having to unequip is a pain.
  • uiruki 8 Jul 2014 19:28:29 3,658 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finished that mission. Not much of a speed bump really - the assault rifle feels completely dominant against CPU soldiers. Still got (I think) two codes' worth of missions before I see the credits, though.
  • uiruki 8 Jul 2014 22:16:26 3,658 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Right, that's the credits seen. It really isn't very hard as long as you can aim to an extent and know how to not die (which given you have a high-speed grappling hook, should be reasonably obvious - and you're given enough lives to deal with being stunlocked to death a few times).

Time to do the post-game tasks and optional missions.
  • uiruki 9 Jul 2014 10:55:29 3,658 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've collected my overall thoughts on the game, at least to the extent one can while typing on a phone.

The main combat loop is really well done. The shooting is responsive, aiming is good and the feedback is excellent - the thudding sound when you get a headshot is super clear. On the melee side you're really quick and agile, even with big weapons. Grappling around is excellent, the dive attack is dramatic and directly cutting off pieces of abductors with the short sword is really satisfying, almost to the point of making other melee weapons obsolete.

The mission variety helps the game along. The hardest missions, though, are the ones where there is a team objective (like gathering a set number of civilians first) because the AI is finicky and doesn't do a great job of following objectives - unless you tell them to, where they'll do so so obsessively they won't do things like revive you.

The enemies are a mixed bag. I enjoyed fighting other soldiers - particularly later on, where you have to prioritise targets. Flamethrowers at short range and grenade/rocket launchers at long range have to be properly dealt with. With one exception, though, melee enemies are dumb run-at-you types who can be easily dealt with by just running backwards and holding fire. The abductors are hit and miss. Basic ones are built from parts so you might see the same model with rockets on the shoulders and lasers on the forearms, or with a grenade launcher and a head-mounted cannon. This actually limits their attacks and makes them less sophisticated. Mini abductors are just rubbish bullet sponges. The major abductors are where it shines though - with clear design and more aggressive attack patterns they can actually threaten you. The final boss in particular nearly beat me - some nasty attacks. One thing they all share is they they go down too slowly, particularly the low-threat basic ones. Enemy spawning is handled badly too, with soldiers often spawning right on top of you.

The rpg stuff isn't well done. You follow instructions on where to go, then someone talks to you for a while, punctuated by long load times. The story doesn't conclude in a satisfying way either.

The audio is very good. Due to the number of AI characters there is a computer generated voice in the game, which sounds really good in Japanese. Extra points for being able to customise both what your robot accessory says and how it says it. Audio feedback is generally very good and the sound effects have impact. The music is excellent, too.

Overall it's a flawed game, but one which is interesting and fun enough to play through. I'm looking forward to a follow up which solves those problems - I don't think any are really major design issues that can't be solved, just ones which need time and polish.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous