Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 122

• Page

of 128 First / Last

• CrispyXUKTurbo 16 Mar 2017 22:49:22 828 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I like that he blamed Donald Trump for the bad reviews. I believe Steve Bannon was to blame for that 7/10 Zelda review.
    Those fucking Gerudo's coming to Hyrule, stealing our lady outfits
  • President_Weasel 16 Mar 2017 23:29:29 12,321 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    @zisssou I'd watch one that wasn't trying to be a gritty documentary.

Anyway, Dirk Gently, starts average, ends up great - recommended.
    I'd agree with that. Got bored with Dirk Gently in the first episode, abandoned it, came back later and binged the remaining episodes.
  • wobbly_Bob 17 Mar 2017 00:19:05 3,636 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The nice guys is streaming now. I really enjoyed it.
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Mar 2017 07:10:38 31,691 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah awesome!
  • President_Weasel 17 Mar 2017 07:59:02 12,321 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    The nice guys is streaming now. I really enjoyed it.
    I did not. Didn't hate it but it seemed very much by the numbers. It's no Last Boy Scout.
  • GarlVinland 17 Mar 2017 17:42:30 1,397 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What's this Mystery Science Theatre that just popped up? I feel like I've heard of it somewhere...

Edited by GarlVinland at 17:47:14 17-03-2017
  • GoodForm 17 Mar 2017 23:26:07 1,265 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Only watched the frist two episodes of Iron Fist thus far, and admittedly Danny is a little frustrating as a character. Why he is so naive isn't easy to swallow.

That said, I huge enjoy the mystery behind his origin. Looking forward to finally learning what The Hand is all about. It's about time we learn that, building up to The Defenders team-up.
  • super_whiskey 18 Mar 2017 08:25:21 180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    GoodForm wrote:
    Only watched the frist two episodes of Iron Fist thus far, and admittedly Danny is a little frustrating as a character. Why he is so naive isn't easy to swallow.
    The fighting choreography when he was entering that office building at the start was a little shit though.

Interested to see how it turns out.
  • Stranded87 18 Mar 2017 09:33:50 1,542 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The writing in general in Iron Fist is the weakest of the Netflix Marvel bunch imo and episode 2 was a complete waste of time and such a played out concept. But I'm finding it quite watchable in a mindless sort of way.
  • Darth_Flibble 18 Mar 2017 12:31:15 2,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was painful for Danny not to say anything to prove who he was, that is some bad writing. Also enjoying it "in a mindless sort of way" Colleen and Joy are easy on they eye as well.
  • GoodForm 18 Mar 2017 16:25:04 1,265 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    The writing in general in Iron Fist is the weakest of the Netflix Marvel bunch imo and episode 2 was a complete waste of time and such a played out concept. But I'm finding it quite watchable in a mindless sort of way.
    The second episode reminded me of Roger Zelazny's "The Chronicles of Amber". Corwin finds himself in quite a similar situation at the very beginning of his epic.

Wasn't there talk of a TV-adaption of the material? God, I'd love if that's something they'd manage to pull off.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2017 18:07:53
    Why do they keep churning out different Marvel characters? I get it's making them dollar, but surely tighten up the story/script for a couple of series? Daredevil Season 1, and the first part of Jessica Jones were the only ones I really enjoyed. The rest was just a bit meh.
  • Fab4 18 Mar 2017 20:20:47 7,911 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've now watched 6 episodes of Iron Fist and I can't understand all the hate it is getting. Ok, its not top tier TV but it is watchable.
  • ChiefGB 18 Mar 2017 20:29:18 6,303 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Watched the first ep of luke cage last night, was a little on the slow side, and just ended with him throwing a few guys about. Was tolerable but it will need to move things along a bit quicker to keep me engaged.

Edited by ChiefGB at 20:30:03 18-03-2017

Edited by ChiefGB at 20:30:30 18-03-2017
  • wobbly_Bob 19 Mar 2017 10:11:54 3,636 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Me and my OH are really enjoying Iron Fist, enough that we binged 5 eps last night. It's not perfect by any means, it has a few problems, but so far really enjoying it.
  • Darth_Flibble 19 Mar 2017 10:27:34 2,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think episode 4 to 5 where Iron fist becomes better from the bad start.

Struggling to get through season 2 of Love, Gus' face is so punchable and so fucking annoying and no chance he gets shot in the face in the show,as he is one of the creators.
  • GoodForm 19 Mar 2017 11:41:11 1,265 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    I've skim read that hideous Polygon article on Iron Fist, and how it's White Entitlement and Culture Appropriation that makes many people dislike the show.

Americans are so fucking wierd.
  • gooner77 19 Mar 2017 16:03:40 1,152 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GoodForm wrote:
    I've skim read that hideous Polygon article on Iron Fist, and how it's White Entitlement and Culture Appropriation that makes many people dislike the show.

Americans are so fucking wierd.
    I unfollowed Polygon after reading that. Complete and utter bullshit and the writers clearly are retarded
  • Graxlar_v2 19 Mar 2017 16:07:21 5,710 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I am ignoring any review that brings it up simply becuase they are fucking morons and not paying attention to the source material. I understand when 'whitewashing' actually occurs but Danny Rand is a white New Yorker not a Chinese person.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Mar 2017 16:40:11 2,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Without bothering to read that article I suppose if you wanted to you could critique the character as originally cashing in on the trend for martial arts films back in the day. But then you'd have to say Cage was cashing in on stuff like Shaft and whatever other heroes are influenced by whatever was happening in society when they were created.

Is the show any worse at than Nolan sending Batman to train in Tibet?

I'm not much of a fan of the show but this wasn't the reason for that
  • Stranded87 19 Mar 2017 16:45:47 1,542 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it's a valid, if minor point. Yes, he's a white New Yorker in the source material, but he probably never should have been.

I don't really care though. My issues are all with the general shonkiness of it. But I'm still kind of enjoying it.
  • wobbly_Bob 19 Mar 2017 18:44:19 3,636 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Stranded87  The following is not aimed at you. It's only since you brought it up. I know you're just saying what others are saying.

I really don't get the any of the argument, not even he probably shouldn't have been white in the source material. Why? Are non Asians not allowed to be great at martial arts? It's like reverse rasisim. The whole thing is just really really silly. People were way to precious about everything. It's just a tv program about a guy that's got super powers. There's way more pressing stuff in the world to get really worked up about.
  • Rivuzu 19 Mar 2017 21:58:29 15,610 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Samurai Gourmet

It's so fucking adorable and easy watching. Love it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Mar 2017 22:02:46 2,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Got that queued up for when I finish House of Cards, it looks marvellous
  • richarddavies 19 Mar 2017 22:09:30 5,758 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    is Netflix fooked up for anyone? I can't get on with my tv or my phone?
  • wobbly_Bob 19 Mar 2017 22:23:26 3,636 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @richarddavies fine for me. I'm watching it right now.
  • GoodForm 19 Mar 2017 23:19:58 1,265 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Danny Rand should be more like Crocodile Dundee or Thor. Naive and innocent of modern day New York, but because he's supposedly extremely capable in other ways, he can deal with all of it - unconvential, but effective and charming, with Far East universal wisdom and uncanny martial arts.
  • President_Weasel 19 Mar 2017 23:43:11 12,321 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bored with Iron Fist. Think I've made it as far as episode five, on and off, but I'm really not feeling it at all. Time to give up on it.

I have no issue with the protagonist being white: his origins are in a comic written to cash in on the kung fu craze, just as Luke Cage was blaxploitation bandwagon jumping. It's part of a long history of "white person better at [culture's thing]" tropes which, yes, are stupid in a mildly racist way. I don't see how you can make the show at all and not have Danny Rand be a white guy, and you can't have Luke Cage and Iron Fist if you don't make Iron Fist.

What I do have an issue with is that it's boring the fucking pants off me, I mean jesus god, nothing happens for ages and then when something exciting happens they manage to suck the excitement right out of it with some kind of excitement hoover (or inept direction coupled with a lead who can't do martial arts and has no charisma, I suppose, but it seems unlikely they'd have cast someone like that so it must be the hoover).

Do they guys that did John Wick and John Wick 2 not have any fight choreographer friends that fancied a directing gig? What about that Welsh guy who did The Raid? There are fight choreographers out there who can choreograph a fight and directors who can direct a fight scene. Instead, I swear to god, one of the episode directors is best known for Downton Abbey.

Bah.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Mar 2017 01:12:27 2,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Weasel summed up my experience and thoughts pretty well there.

A show about an ultimate martial artist shouldn't be making Law & Order fight scenes look like a young Jackie Chan performance
  • Scimarad 20 Mar 2017 04:44:00 9,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I know absolutely fuck all about Iron Fist so I can't really comment on how they're treating the character but it hardly seems like the train wreck that those early reviews were suggesting. I thinking people just have very short attention spans. As to what it's about isn't it basically "Guy comes back to find his family company is being used for evil so he tries to get control back." Complaining about the business related stuff seems a bit peculiar considering it seems to be one whole half of the character.

Edited by Scimarad at 04:47:49 20-03-2017
  • Page

of 128 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.