Nikon 300mm lens advice

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • kentmonkey 12 May 2013 20:46:18 20,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got the standard lens that came with the D3100, but after a zoom lens. Preferably this bad boy

However, the sellers on Amazon don't seem to supply UK product, and Amazon themselves don't seem to supply UK product either, with some reviews suggesting that they come with HK warranty and not UK. John Lewis are 280, almost every other retailer I've checked appears to be 280-290, and when I'd been expecting to pay around 170-180 for one, going on Amazon's prices (before I realised that they're not UK product) I'm now massively short on cash and only a few weeks away from my wildlife photography course (which was a birthday present).

I'm assuming the Sigma lens won't be any good, as it hasn't got VR and therefore seemingly has to be used on a tripod to get good results which is not always practical for me, either for the day or in future. Although I do use the tripod, I don't take it out with me everywhere and therefore probably take 70% of my shots handheld rather than on the tripod.

Have I got any other options, are there any other places to get it from, or am I fucked?
  • prawnking1980 12 May 2013 21:56:20 5,237 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://www.apertureuk.com/nikon_auto_focus.html

Might be worth a look if in London
  • crispyduckman 12 May 2013 22:52:54 1,889 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That Amazon price is mental. Actually seems a bit suspicious. I get my stuff from http://www.wexphotographic.com/ and it's 280 there.

Btw, not sure what Sigma lens you're comparing to but there is a 70-300 with OS. It's 275 on WEX but I'm not sure which is better.

If I were you, get the cheap Amazon Nikon and hope it all works out. The description says it includes warranty.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• kentmonkey 12 May 2013 23:04:59 20,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    That Amazon price is mental. Actually seems a bit suspicious. I get my stuff from http://www.wexphotographic.com/ and it's 280 there.

Btw, not sure what Sigma lens you're comparing to but there is a 70-300 with OS. It's 275 on WEX but I'm not sure which is better.

If I were you, get the cheap Amazon Nikon and hope it all works out. The description says it includes warranty.
    It does, but then reviews state that it's HK warranty and not UK.

If you check the sellers reviews, all of the products they sell come with Polish or French or Chinese warranties and manuals, so they're all selling non-UK product by the looks of things.

Makes me slightly worried that they're not even the real thing, to be honest.

Even the Amazon one appears to be a non-UK model.
  • Maturin 12 May 2013 23:38:45 3,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've owned the Sigma 70-300 APO lens on Canon mount and it's a surprisingly good lens for the price. You don't need stabilisation or a tripod in good light - just good technique and a high enough shutter speed. Anyway stabilisation is of no use if your subject is moving, shutter speed is.

I even used it indoor, if you've good sensor and RAW software then pushing up the ISO doesn't matter so much these days.

Edited by Maturin at 23:39:24 12-05-2013
  • mal 12 May 2013 23:46:21 22,842 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    With or without VR you'll need some sort of extra stabilisation beyond about 120mm on DX anyway, IMO.

Edit: Though I suppose if I had a more modern camera that had more than one usable ISO setting, I might have a different opinion, I suppose.

Edited by mal at 23:47:21 12-05-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Maturin 12 May 2013 23:57:30 3,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    On my NEX-6 ISO 3200 is usable, 1600 very good. Certainty beats my old Canon 50D in terms of noise and dynamic range.

But as I said, I've shot 300mm on my Canon handheld in good light and got sharp images. The rule of thumb for shutter speed is 1/focal length. So if you take the Nikon "crop factor" into account anything over 1/450 sec should get a good picture at 300mn. And that's not very fast in sunshine.
  • crispyduckman 13 May 2013 00:05:03 1,889 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @kentmonkey It may well be the real thing as lenses are well known to be way cheaper in places like HK and that's where some photographers get theirs from. I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty as the UK price appears to be double here - if it fails (which is unlikely anyway) and you don't have a warranty, just buy another and you haven't lost anything.

• crispyduckman 13 May 2013 00:06:59 1,889 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also, I definitely recommend getting the VR/OS version if you can afford it.

• Deleted user 28 May 2013 12:10:50
    KM, did you ever get anything?

I've got a Sigma 70-300 and a Tamron 18-270 for sale. Both perfectly good lenses and would do you a very good price on either.
  • kentmonkey 28 May 2013 18:48:47 20,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh, now that's called timing. I ordered one last night.

Really appreciate the thought and offer though and 24hrs earlier would have been interested.
  • Deleted user 28 May 2013 20:15:27
    Bugger, oh well.

Having a bit of a clear out so let me know if there's anything else on your list.
  • kentmonkey 28 May 2013 20:50:23 20,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kalel did you want to PM me a list of stuff? I could be interested and I work with two people who have really just gotten into photography and want to get more kit. One is definitely using Nikon.
  • Deleted user 28 May 2013 20:51:22
    Will do.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next