Expanding battery?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • sirtacos 12 May 2013 01:16:51 7,260 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've heard that, in essence, all Apple computers are ticking time bombs. The batteries have an inherent defect wherein they expand over time, inevitably posing a breakage/leakage risk to the computer itself.

I've been thinking of buying a Mac, but I hear that Apple treats batteries as non-essential 'consumables', meaning that it is the customer's responsibility to bear the cost of replacement (usually this becomes necessary after about 300 charges).

Isn't this grounds to qualify all shitty-battery-using Apple products as defective, if not dangerous? Where is the outcry/consumer backlash/class action lawsuit? Beyond threatening your electronics, doesn't this also pose a potential danger to the consumer (battery explosion)?

Seems a bit ridiculous from a consumer standpoint.

Have any of you experienced any battery issues? Did you get a prompt free replacement?

Apparently the UK consumer is protected by the Sales of Goods act so hopefully that makes it easier to get satisfaction

Edited by sirtacos at 01:26:10 12-05-2013
  • MMMarmite 12 May 2013 01:27:26 973 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The risk would be inherent in all laptops no matter what brand, most laptop batteries are made in the same fashion and most likely the same factories.

If you have a defective battery all companies (even Apple) will replace it under warranty, it's only when the battery has failed out of general wear and tear that you'll have to pay for a replacement. The time period of cover probably differs between companies but they all operate on the same basis - a laptop battery is a consumable unit.

Whoever you've heard these stories from needs to do a bit more research ;)
  • sirtacos 12 May 2013 01:35:05 7,260 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That makes sense. Thank you seņor.
  • mal 12 May 2013 01:40:40 22,323 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All lithium ion batteries expand over time. My oldest batteries no longer fitted in their host phones before I tossed them out, but none of them ever leaked, and they usually were still able to power the device when I threw them out.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• spindizzy 12 May 2013 06:51:06 6,427 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There was one batch of batteries which caused problems for various companies - IIRC toshiba, Sony and probably others were affected, including Apple. It was a long time ago now, but of course you can still be uucky, but I've not heard of any problems with the new unibody macs. In any case, apple will replace defective batteries of course. Apple after sales support is typically very good.

Apple batteries are also typically v high quality - for example, they're supposed to be 80% health after 1000 cycles, which is much better than industry average. In the interests of honesty I have to say that my 2009 macbookpro hasn't even got close to this - 50% health after 650 cycles.

If they do need replacing, Apple will do it in a store while you wait, and from my investigations it seems like they don't charge for labour, just the cost of the battery (I.e I looked into seeing if I could save money by doing it myself, and it didn't seem so...)

I'd strongly suggest you give whoever told you all that a bit of a slap. It's rubbish!
  • spindizzy 12 May 2013 06:57:13 6,427 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    I've been thinking of buying a Mac, but I hear that Apple treats batteries as non-essential 'consumables', meaning that it is the customer's responsibility to bear the cost of replacement (usually this becomes necessary after about 300 charges).
    By the way, I'd be very interested if you can name one computer company which replaces old batteries for free? Just one. Why on earth should they - batteries are expensive and degrade with time and use, but that's a limitation of the underlying technology (unfortunately). Would you expect a car company to replace the engine for free after 150000 km?
  • nickthegun 12 May 2013 07:58:42 58,725 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They were sony made batteries in the old, pre-unibody macbook pros, so ones that are 3+ years old.

Mine did it and bloated about an inch before I had to prise it out of the chassis with a screwdriver. Apple changed suppliers pretty quickly, so if yours hasn't done it yet it probably won't.

Edited by nickthegun at 07:59:15 12-05-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 12 May 2013 09:08:11
    That would explain the bloat on the Mac Book Air I acquired from a friend of mine. There's a definite bulge to the left of the track pad. Battery still seems to work, mind you.

Is there any way of kicking the bulge in?
  • KayJay 12 May 2013 09:19:15 5,287 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Apple batteries are also typically v high quality - for example, they're supposed to be 80% health after 1000 cycles, which is much better than industry average. In the interests of honesty I have to say that my 2009 macbookpro hasn't even got close to this - 50% health after 650 cycles.
    Can you explain this "battery health" to me.
    Are you saying that over time (to a certain point) the battery performance in my Mackbook Air will improve? I've had it a couple of years, when I first got it I was a bit Anal about charging it fully then letting it run all the way down before charging? Did or will that improve its health?

I've had it maybe 2 years now and I'm certainly not getting the ~9+ hours it said on the tin!

How might one check the health of ones battery?
    Cheers.
  • heyyo 12 May 2013 09:20:55 14,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, battery performance will only get worse
  • KayJay 12 May 2013 09:25:06 5,287 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Okay, got it. So at purchase its ~100% and goes down from there! :)
    I re-read it and that makes sense. Retard Sunday!
  • dominalien 12 May 2013 09:58:09 6,802 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's also the "battery formatting" thing to consider. Apparently modern batteries are pre-formatted, but I personally still think it's good practice to format a battery on a new device. Especially as it's as easy as fully charging and almost fully discharging it three times.

@HairyArse

There's no way to get rid of the bulge except by getting a new battery. Which, btw, you probably should do. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• uiruki 12 May 2013 10:27:56 3,643 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think an important thing to consider would be whether anyone would be able to replace the battery in a few years - I tried to replace the battery for my Vaio Z in 2010, less than 2 years after purchase, and had no luck (the guy at the Sony Centre was particularly amusing as he picked the battery out of the catalogue and then immediately said they don't make it anymore), while a friend of mine walked into an Apple store with his 2008 unibody Macbook and they sold him a replacement immediately.

The lesson? Don't buy a Vaio, even if it is their top-of-the-line flagship model which costs more than the equivalent Apple computer anyway.
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 11:03:32
    dominalien wrote:
    @HairyArse
    There's no way to get rid of the bulge except by getting a new battery. Which, btw, you probably should do. :-)
    How is getting a new battery going to reduce the existing bulge?

I'm thinking the only way is to give it a bash with a hammer on a towel. Or, try and squash it out with a vice, protecting the laptop with lots of towels.
  • yegon 12 May 2013 11:08:39 5,147 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, this phenomenon is not peculiar to Apple. As for 300 cycles, bah, my late 08 (now sold) MacBook Pro had over 600 cycles in just under 5 years, was about 85% health when I sold it. Could still get about 2.5 hours battery life out of it, and it only managed about 3.5 new.

Edited by yegon at 11:09:00 12-05-2013
  • elstoof 12 May 2013 11:11:44 6,489 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Drill a small hole into the battery and gently heat the unit, all the excess battery fluid will be easily drainable into a jar for safe disposal. Replace the expanded fluid with freshly boiled, ionised water, plug the hole with mastic and you'll be all set.
  • Fake_Blood 12 May 2013 11:25:18 4,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have a macbook that rarely leaves the house, I've always wondered if I should keep it plugged in or discharge it from time to time.
  • yegon 12 May 2013 11:55:29 5,147 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    I have a macbook that rarely leaves the house, I've always wondered if I should keep it plugged in or discharge it from time to time.
    Don't think it matters that much, although I do try not to leave it plugged in 24/7. This is easier with newer mac laptops, the deep sleep is epic, only loses a couple of per cent a day left idle. My old mbp, unless I expressly put it into deep sleep via terminal (never bothered), it'd lose about 12% a day, meaning I almost always left it plugged in when not in use.
  • THFourteen 12 May 2013 12:21:05 32,770 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    I think an important thing to consider would be whether anyone would be able to replace the battery in a few years - I tried to replace the battery for my Vaio Z in 2010, less than 2 years after purchase, and had no luck (the guy at the Sony Centre was particularly amusing as he picked the battery out of the catalogue and then immediately said they don't make it anymore), while a friend of mine walked into an Apple store with his 2008 unibody Macbook and they sold him a replacement immediately.

The lesson? Don't buy a Vaio, even if it is their top-of-the-line flagship model which costs more than the equivalent Apple computer anyway.
    Hey I love my Vaio.

Its always plugged in anyway :-)
  • kalel 12 May 2013 12:29:05 86,012 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apple claim to have some tech in their plugs that doesn't ruin the battery even if you leave it plugged in all the time. The battery still dies over time, but it's not supposed to make a difference.
  • dominalien 13 May 2013 07:24:12 6,802 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    @HairyArse
    How is getting a new battery going to reduce the existing bulge?

I'm thinking the only way is to give it a bash with a hammer on a towel. Or, try and squash it out with a vice, protecting the laptop with lots of towels.
    Has the battery already been replaced, then? If not, there's a bulging battery beneath the bulge and you don't want to squeeze that. If so, your ideas are spot on.

Btw, you have checked that's where the battery is, right? It could be something unrelated, you know.

• dominalien 13 May 2013 07:26:19 6,802 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Apple claim to have some tech in their plugs that doesn't ruin the battery even if you leave it plugged in all the time. The battery still dies over time, but it's not supposed to make a difference.
    More likely the charging circuitry in the computer, not the plug, but yeah.

I've noticed if the battery is only slightly drained, like a couple of per cent, it will not start charging it at all. They are definitely trying to do something to protect the battery from unnecessary wear.

• elstoof 13 May 2013 08:06:00 6,489 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My 2008 MacBook Pro battery is at 90% health after 853 cycles so whatever it is must be working.
  • Deleted user 13 May 2013 08:11:10
    dominalien wrote:
    Has the battery already been replaced, then? If not, there's a bulging battery beneath the bulge and you don't want to squeeze that. If so, your ideas are spot on.

Btw, you have checked that's where the battery is, right? It could be something unrelated, you know.
    No the battery hasn't yet been replaced. I didn't know until reading this thread that the battery problem even existed. I just assumed the bulge was an over-heating issues or something.

The bulge on mine is to the left hand side of the track pad. It has to be battery-related, right?
  • dominalien 13 May 2013 08:58:43 6,802 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    dominalien wrote:

No the battery hasn't yet been replaced. I didn't know until reading this thread that the battery problem even existed. I just assumed the bulge was an over-heating issues or something.

The bulge on mine is to the left hand side of the track pad. It has to be battery-related, right?
    Possibly. Find your model of Macbook on iFixit and see if their guide to replacing the battery shows it in the correct spot. You might even take it apart to take a look at the battery itself; the one model I looked at didn't strike me as very complicated to take apart.

• nickthegun 13 May 2013 09:07:04 58,725 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    More likely the charging circuitry in the computer, not the plug, but yeah.

I've noticed if the battery is only slightly drained, like a couple of per cent, it will not start charging it at all. They are definitely trying to do something to protect the battery from unnecessary wear.
    The theory is, and its the same with an iPhone, when the battery gets to 100% full, it allows it to discharge a couple of percent and top it back up constantly, rather than it trying to pump power into a full battery.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 13 May 2013 09:27:47
    dominalien wrote:
    Possibly. Find your model of Macbook on iFixit and see if their guide to replacing the battery shows it in the correct spot. You might even take it apart to take a look at the battery itself; the one model I looked at didn't strike me as very complicated to take apart.
    I've had the back off to replace the hard drive and on this particular Mac Book Air, the battery is a huge wide but very slim thing that pretty takes up a good third to half of the size of the base of the laptop. The bulge is definitely above the battery but then the whole width of that area is.
  • nickthegun 13 May 2013 09:33:17 58,725 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When the back is off, you should be able to unscrew the battery from the logic board and have a check.

He totally called it

• dominalien 13 May 2013 10:52:17 6,802 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not like the bulge has to cover the entire battery, either. It's probably a single cell that's expanded.

Edit: Also, if there's anything above the battery, it's possible its expansion will affect the functioning of the computer. A friend's battery expanded like that and it made bluetooth intermittently stop working. After it was replaced, the problem went away.

Edited by dominalien at 10:55:19 13-05-2013

• Page

of 1

Previous Next