Watercooling!?!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • ISmoke 9 May 2013 14:59:07 546 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hello brains of Eurogamer!

It's got to that time where my little i5 + crossfire HD5870 machine is due to retire! So now i'm on the exciting path of building myself a overpowered machine - because I can. I'm buying it over the course of a few months so it still won't be with me for a while just yet.

So far I've bought;

Corsair 800D case
    Corsair AX1200i PSU
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 motherbord

I'll be ordering my CPU and RAM next month what will be a Hex-Core i7 3930k and 16GB of Corsair Dominator Quad channel 1866Mhz
    I'll also be getting either GTX Titan or if the 7XX Series i out by then I'd probably get 2 GTX780's

Now i've got that out of the way. I've decided since i'm buying this over the course of a few months I'm going to try something I haven't done before - I want to go for a full custom watercooled loop cooling the CPU and the GPU(S), I don't think i'll be cooling the RAM or motherboard Chipset.

What I'm trying to find out, i imagine there are many of you on here who have done watercooling in the past, would 1 320mm Radiator be enough or would i need to mount an additional 240mm radiator in there also.

Icing on the cake would be if any of you have the same case I have, i'd love to know how many radiators you've been able to put into it!

Pre-emptive Thank you in advance
  • RobTheBuilder 9 May 2013 15:03:58 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hate you
  • RobTheBuilder 9 May 2013 15:05:18 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    (Not really) I'm not up on water cooling but I'm sure someone here will be.
  • Chopsen 9 May 2013 15:08:41 15,886 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a water cooled system once.

The pump failed, and then everything cooked. Bit rubbish really.

Also had to regularly top the system up with water. It really is a solution for people who like needlessly fiddly solutions.

Edited by Chopsen at 15:09:47 09-05-2013
  • Widge Moderator 9 May 2013 15:09:20 13,480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Always reminds me of this:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/computer-systems/56924-kramer-other-members-promoting-water-cooling-you-have-alot-answer.html

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• ISmoke 9 May 2013 15:15:24 546 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder - Well that' not very nice :(

@Chopsen

Eh, I just like the appeal of lower temps (even though my overclock will make temps go back up) but also the quieter slower spinning fans. The topping up won't bother me as i'll have a front bay reservoir so topping up will be relatively simple.

So no one knows how many radiator i should go with?
  • RobTheBuilder 9 May 2013 15:16:41 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ISmoke I did follow it up!!
  • SuperBas 9 May 2013 15:16:54 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you get good cooling paste, you won't notice the difference between air- and watercooling.
  • ISmoke 9 May 2013 15:19:17 546 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder Haha I know :)

@Widge Haha, that was a brilliant read!

Are people really that silly?

@SuperBas Well, that isn't strictly true is it. You can get a much higher overclock on water for a reason.

I also want to avoid the noise of air cooling and i just want to try something different for the best PC i would've ever built.
  • Shikasama 9 May 2013 15:19:43 6,762 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is exactly the sort of thing I would fuck up.

Not much else to ad
  • RobTheBuilder 9 May 2013 15:22:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Shikasama indeed shikasama, or should we say, Conor?!
  • Chopsen 9 May 2013 15:23:48 15,886 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ISmoke

It's likely to be trial and error. The voltages you're going to need to maintain stability are unpredictable. The temperatures you're going to get are dependent on the voltages you end up needing, the degree of overclock, and other factors like case size, air circulation. Also, the efficiency of other components such as the heatsink plate, paste, how efficient you system is at circulating coolant are all going to be a factor.

Also, tbh, watercooling isn't actually particularly quieter than decent air-cooling systems which have been designed with noise levels in mind. You may run at lower temps, but running at very low temps within the hardware's tolerance range or running at a high temp within the tolerance range is a non-issue. You may shorten the lifespan of your hardware, but as the system you're getting rid of isn't that old spec, I don't think that'd be a priority for you ;)

Edited by Chopsen at 15:25:51 09-05-2013
  • DFawkes 9 May 2013 15:24:55 22,834 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Always reminds me of this:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/computer-systems/56924-kramer-other-members-promoting-water-cooling-you-have-alot-answer.html
    This has really brightened up my day :D

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• SuperBas 9 May 2013 15:28:05 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You could also get a watercooling loop, and then pump cooling paste through it for maximum heat pixel-to-voxel efficiency.
  • ISmoke 9 May 2013 15:31:40 546 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the reply, Chopsen.

I know there are some quiet air coolers out there but I just fancy trying something different for once. Also from all i've read about the 3930K it is a very hot chip and most recommend a high end air cooler so whilt i could go for air i wouldn't mind overclocking the GPU's a little bit.

Haha, my Old PC is showing its age a little bit. That and my friend recently upgraded to a GTX690 so i need to keep up with the Jones'

That and it' starting to puff and wheeze whenever i boot up Arma 2

Edited by ISmoke at 15:32:21 09-05-2013
  • robthehermit 9 May 2013 16:27:51 4,043 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago

Followed a day later by:

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• ISmoke 9 May 2013 17:15:38 546 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't show me that D:

I hope that only happened because he used barb fittings and not good quality compression fittings. I'd also leave mine on for a 24 hour leak test.

God damn i'm now scared. I suppose the 400 I would've spent on cooling could've went somewhere else... not that i know where. You know what it's like once you have your heart set on something?
  • Widge Moderator 9 May 2013 17:19:53 13,480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I find the entire prospect terrifying, although I do understand the desire for silence.

My original turbine PS3 and Powercolour 4890 meant that I was very careful about what card I got. The MSI Twin Frozr's have been excellent db wise and my little box is decently quiet, even with a stock i5 fan.

I think the risk/reward is too much for me. Plus I know I'd fuck it up or poorly maintain it!

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• ISmoke 9 May 2013 17:33:36 546 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Believe me, i am very scared and even doubting myself if i know how to do it. I've read countless threads and watched countless YouTube videos and they all make it sound so simple and i'm sure it is but the idea of pumping water around my PC that is going to be rather expensive scares me.

There is something about the tubes following inside of a system that gets to the nerd part of me though! It looks so good! If you seen inside of my current HAF 922 build you would understand why I am now looking to take pride in something that i'll use a lot!
  • Deleted user 9 May 2013 17:38:22
    There's no point in building a system that requires a water cooled system. Save your money/spend it on whores instead.
  • ISmoke 9 May 2013 17:46:21 546 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whores don't have effect on me. Would you believe it i've gone to Amsterdam twice a year for the last 4 years and i've still been able to resist spending money on the working ladies!
  • Rusty_M 9 May 2013 17:47:20 4,659 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Get something like a Corsair H50 and don't worry about it.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• ISmoke 9 May 2013 17:52:17 546 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    From what i've read, and i've read a lot, closed loop coolers are really only as good as high end air coolers and more often than not they are even louder.

I was debating getting the H100i but I think i'd have more pride if i built it all myself.

I think i'm going to mod the case and put a 480 at the top and a 240/320 at the bottom
  • SuperBas 9 May 2013 18:01:22 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why don't you buy a watercooling kit for your current PC, see if you can make it work? If you mess up, at least it'll be your old PC that suffers.
  • Chopsen 9 May 2013 18:01:38 15,886 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The other thing to bear in mind, whores aside, is that you may not even get a better overclock on a water-cooled system.

Water-cooling only really helps if your overclock is limited by temperature. You may find that you particular hardware will just not overlcock very well, or not be able to overclock better than you'd get on air due to inherent properties of your chip.

By definition, you're looking for the most extreme performance benefits, and a specific chip's ability to sustain that performance *regardless* of cooling is going to vary randomly from chip to chip, even within the same batch number.

Seriously, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Not worth it.

edit: english, I once knew her

Edited by Chopsen at 18:04:34 09-05-2013
  • ISmoke 9 May 2013 18:11:51 546 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SuperBas wrote:
    Why don't you buy a watercooling kit for your current PC, see if you can make it work? If you mess up, at least it'll be your old PC that suffers.
    I've been debating that - just more money than i really have though. I'm already building this new machine on a 'budget' doing this, even though it's probably the wise thing, just takes more money from my allocated funds and just adds time on to it

@Chopsen

To be 100% honest, I don't really need to achieve a massive overclock. the 3930K is already exceptionally fast so even a modest 4.5Ghz would be faster than anything I'd ever need for the near future and that should be very easily achievable with water. But even still, this chip gets, very, very hot so water seems like the best option.

My main deciding factor (other than heat and cool looking) is noise - if you heard what my 2 5870's sounded like when being taxed on a high end game, it's horrible. I also like to play late at night so quietness is a big thing for me.

I'm looking at this build as my Dream build. I want all of the bells and whistles as chances are this will be the last time i go for a build like this.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 9 May 2013 18:15:10 37,905 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:

Followed a day later by:

Hahahahahahaha. Brilliant.

That's what you get for making a boring video about your boring neon-lit virginity compensater!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• SuperBas 9 May 2013 18:18:05 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Noob, no linking to videos in a quote! I'll report you to the modding team.

please don't ban me

Edit: go for air cooling, and get a decent set of headphones that block out sound. It'll be cheaper than water cooling.

Or you can save money by buying an i5 instead of an i7, as i5's offer basically the same performance in games as the difference between them is only hyperthreading, which isn't used by games.

Next month, the Intel Haswell processors are released, as well as supposedly the GTX 700 series. The rumor is that 700s will be an enhanced 600 series, except for the 780, which will be a slower Titan. Normally, waiting for new tech isn't smart, but these things are right around the corner. Wait for them.

Edited by SuperBas at 18:23:26 09-05-2013
  • ISmoke 9 May 2013 18:27:02 546 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've already got a decent set of headphones I got the Razer Megalodons if i'm gaming and Sennheiser HD25's for musicy stuff!

Price isn't *that* much of an issue, i accounted for water cooling in my budget and it is something that I want - i've never had it before so I want to do it now. I also want to get the most out of the GPU's - something air can't do
  • Rusty_M 9 May 2013 18:29:54 4,659 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you have a case like the Coolermaster 690II Advanced, you won't need to mod it for watercooling.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous