Will the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming editon or The Elgato Game Capture HD work?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • IxIAdAmIxI 6 May 2013 10:27:06 7 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Will the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition or The Elgato Game Capture HD Work if my laptop only has 1.80GHz It says they both need 2.0GHz but i was wondering if any of them will work, has anyone ever had one on 1.80GHz? If so please tell me, and also if they will both work please advise which one to buy.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 May 2013 10:35:54 39,826 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have the HD PVR2 and it's... OK. It's already broke on me once causing me to have to get it replaced with the manufacturer (postage at my own expense of course), and now this one randomly cuts the pass-through image for a second or so each time so is annoying the piss out of me.

The actual record quality is good though, and the software is easy enough to use.

Anyway, the box itself does all of the encoding work, I expect the processor requirement is for the editing software.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• IxIAdAmIxI 6 May 2013 10:43:12 7 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So will it still work if i only have 1.80GHz and not 3.0GHz single core or 2.0GHz multi-core processor?

Edited by IxIAdAmIxI at 10:46:17 06-05-2013
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 May 2013 10:54:33 39,826 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How would I know? My PC exceeds the requirements.

• neems 6 May 2013 10:59:35 1,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Could you perhaps overclock your processor?

It might well work as is, but at the same time if it doesn't you have no comeback, as you were knowingly under the minimum requirements.
  • brokenkey 6 May 2013 13:50:05 7,159 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll recommend the AverMedia GameCapture HD, which captures directly to either USB or internal HDD, and therefore doesn't give a stuff how powerful your laptop is, nor does it care if your console is no-where near your PC.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• HDTVMAN 7 May 2013 10:35:52 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    I have the HD PVR2 and it's... OK. It's already broke on me once causing me to have to get it replaced with the manufacturer (postage at my own expense of course), and now this one randomly cuts the pass-through image for a second or so each time so is annoying the piss out of me.

The actual record quality is good though, and the software is easy enough to use.

Anyway, the box itself does all of the encoding work, I expect the processor requirement is for the editing software.
    If its cutting out on pass through you should contact your local Hauppauge office. That sounds like it is a faulty unit

They do run ok on lower than 2.0 dual cores provided you don't run anything else on the computer

The new Hauppauge Capture App can runs much better than Arcsoft and its free to download

http://hauppauge.com/capture/
  • psychokitten Moderator 7 May 2013 10:53:33 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:

Are you using the supplied (shitty) cables? I had the cut out thing happen to me just after I got it, but not after I replaced the cables with my own (better quality) ones, like using the official 360 component cable instead of theirs.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 May 2013 11:22:56 39,826 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, but I considered it the other night. I'll give it a go if you say it helped. I think I've got a few dozen HDMI cables in a drawer somewhere. I think they breed.

• psychokitten Moderator 7 May 2013 11:30:32 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It would cut out the feed for me every few minutes, go black for like 2 seconds. I switched out one of the cables and it was fine, but you mention HDMI, mine is component. I wouldn't imagine HDMI suffers from the same issue.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 May 2013 11:38:36 39,826 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds like the same issue though, but yeah I'm running HDMI in and out.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next