Small Printer

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Armoured_Bear 1 May 2013 22:24:10 11,936 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I want to buy a small printer that takes up as little space as possible and is cheapish to run.
    Any ideas?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• dsmx 1 May 2013 22:50:08 7,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your choice is basically mono lasers if you want something small that's cheap to run. There's practically nothing else that's actually small short of the mobile printers but they are expensive to run.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Armoured_Bear 1 May 2013 22:51:42 11,936 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    Your choice is basically mono lasers if you want something small that's cheap to run. There's practically nothing else that's actually small short of the mobile printers but they are expensive to run.
    Cheers.
    What about just small, not shit and not crazy expensive to run?

• MMMarmite 1 May 2013 23:16:23 1,110 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does it need to be portable or just a small footprint? I got a HP P1102 recently and it's pretty small for a mono laser printer and should cost too much in toner, if you need really small you may want to look at a portable thermal printer - they're pretty pricey upfront but don't require costly ink/toner.
  • cubbymoore 1 May 2013 23:21:11 36,507 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My printer tends to pause a lot. Then again what else† would you expect from a Harold Printer.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 May 2013 23:21:17 11,936 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MMMarmite wrote:
    Does it need to be portable or just a small footprint? I got a HP P1102 recently and it's pretty small for a mono laser printer and should cost too much in toner, if you need really small you may want to look at a portable thermal printer - they're pretty pricey upfront but don't require costly ink/toner.
    Just small footprint, its only for occasional use so I hate having a monstrous thing taking up half the desk.

• dsmx 1 May 2013 23:33:07 7,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Occasional use is mono laser every time, I'll put it this way mono laser toners last about 1000-1500 pages on cheap model and even with the official toners which are between £40-60 it's a far cheaper way of printing than going with any of the inkjets at that end of the market.

Edited by dsmx at 23:33:28 01-05-2013

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Armoured_Bear 1 May 2013 23:34:23 11,936 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    Occasional use is mono laser every time, I'll put it this way mono laser toners last about 1000-1500 pages on cheap model and even with the official toners which are between £40-60 it's a far cheaper way of printing than going with any of the inkjets at that end of the market.
    Cheers, any recommendations?

• dominalien 1 May 2013 23:35:19 7,071 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is tiny. And bus-powered! :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• dsmx 1 May 2013 23:39:38 7,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wish I could but truth is it's pretty close in cost between them all and if it's occasional use your not going to see any real difference in price of running them. HP and samsung make the smallest ones we sell, they'd fit easily in a bread bin with space left over for some rolls.

Official toners for them run cost around £60 right now but the one that comes with them is good for a few hundred pages.

By the way if people are curious this is the same advice I give to people who come into the store I work in and actually want me to offer some advice.

• dominalien 1 May 2013 23:41:57 7,071 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On a more serious note, despite toying with other manufacturers for some years, HP is the one I'd only really recommend these days. Especially if it's to be used in a non-Windows-only environment. They have a solid driver policy.

PSN: DonOsito

• dsmx 1 May 2013 23:44:25 7,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As of right now HP have a really solid line up of printers across the range, with that said though Brother have the best customer service if things go wrong, seriously you can call them up and in some cases they will come to you and try to fix your printer.

• Deleted user 1 May 2013 23:53:21
    What is today's equivalent HP LaserJet 6L? That used to be the best blend of cost, quality, print speed, duty cycle and size for a standalone business desktop printer that might get shared in a home network. 5Years ago was the last time I recommended that printer, and only recently did my friend want to replace it with a workgroup all-in-one Brother(that does +20ppm duplex) for his expanded business. The Laserjet is still going strong after 8 laser cartridge changes.
  • dsmx 1 May 2013 23:53:56 7,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I won't pretend for 1 minute though that ink is good value with a few exceptions, your fucked over so much it's insane. The only ones that are even halfway reasonable are the big office grade inkjets where they get the price down to under 2p a page to print on them but they do take up a massive amount of space.

• dsmx 2 May 2013 00:05:10 7,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well right now in stores anyway there is no equivalent to printers from say 5-6 years ago back then printers were built to last simply because they were still improving.

The market right now is at a standstill, this year HP, canon, epson, samsung, brother are all not really bothering updating their ranges with any real improvements to their printing ability.

If your after a volume printer from my looking at the range we sell I can only really recommend to the HP 8600 series or possibly the epson workforce 4540.

The HP one you can register with HP for a 3 year warranty and you can get the price down to around £109 with the cashback offer HP have at the moment. Ink will do up to 2300 pages on the black for around £25 and 1500 on the colours which cost about £21 each.

I struggle to justify colour lasers right now the toners cost £60 each, so your looking northwoods of £200 for a set with capacities at best slightly higher than office grade inkjets where a full set costs less than £100, they are more expensive to buy initially and the print quality isn't much better for text documents than the 8600 and 4540, which have far superior photo printing ability.

• dsmx 2 May 2013 00:17:51 7,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If someone wants to jump in and correct me on this I'm all ears but all the information I can see from the range we have in store simply makes colour lasers look like a really bad deal and those office grade inkjets are getting pretty close to the running costs of mono lasers even with the 3 extra cartridges in them.

• Deleted user 2 May 2013 00:43:33
    @dsmx

That is a big downside with colour laser unless the printer was cheap to begin with, and the users are only printing to colour infrequently, putting all the bulk onto the black cartridge. Hopefully the original set of colour triplets will last the printers life in those circumstances. But I didn't think Colour lasers used all colours evenly anyway(my rubbish Xerox 6100DN doesn't), so you get a way with replacing just one or two for colour printing at any one point in time of the printer's life.

My issue with Inkjets is that they tend to dry up when used infrequently, whereas lasers tend to be happier with prolonged inactivity and jump back in to action when needed. If I was ever buying an inkjet I buy a set of marigolds, syringes, inkwells and the kit reset the counters when refilling manually.

For me, the choice would always be, laser mono or laser colour, as I've probably filled a wardrobe with the number of friends inkjet printers I've seen thrown in landfill because it is cheaper to buy new, than replace cartridges.
  • dsmx 2 May 2013 00:50:43 7,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That is true for the most part but those officejet 8100 and 8600 ones are a fearsome printer for people who print lots, £25 for a black that does up to 2300 pages is way ahead in cost per page than any laser we have.

At best it's £40 for a toner and that's for one with 1500 pages. But lasers are still better if your going to leave them for prolonged periods but in those cases I tend to think your better off not having one, or save whatever it is you want printing on a memory stick and print it off at work/library or even staples for example.

• Dirtbox 2 May 2013 03:14:10 79,216 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dot matrix printers are great for occasional use, they can sit around for years and spring into life immediately, the ink is cheap as piss as well.

Only drawback being they sound like a circular saw cutting a gas oven in half with a blunt blade.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Flying_Pig 4 Jul 2013 13:20:08 11,524 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I need a cheap(ish) reliable and easy to use printer. Assume inkjet would be best. It'll be mainly B/W printing, but with the occasional photo thrown in. Wifi would be really useful too.

Ideally looking to come in at about £50

Any of these worth a go:
    HP Photosmart 5520
    Canon Pixma MX455
    Epson Expression Home XP-205

??
  • gammonbanter 5 Aug 2013 19:24:33 1,520 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Samsung ML-216w at John Lewis

Seems decent, Wifi and has Linux support! Will only be used 10 times a year. But so handy to have and saves evening / weekend trips to work to print one thing!
  • binky Moderator 15 Nov 2014 11:35:08 9,950 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bumpity!

I'm in the market for a reasonably priced home printer predominately for printing digital photos and homework. Any recommendations?
  • Dougs 15 Nov 2014 13:01:27 69,542 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Same advice as years ago I suspect. I can't see that ink has got cheaper. Get a monochrome laser for paperwork, prints from photobox etc imo.
  • PES_Fanboy 15 Nov 2014 13:10:08 18,999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    My printer tends to pause a lot. Then again what else† would you expect from a Harold Printer.
    Aahh
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next