Blood Dragon Page 4

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• agparrot 2 May 2013 11:38:51 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FourSevenZero wrote:
    @agparrot Great write up!

I loved the couple of hours I had on it last night I had a smile on my face the whole time :D
    That's the core of it, isn't it? I grinned through pretty much everything I played last night, properly laughing at some of it, and crying the odd appreciative tear on the occasions where it really touched my funny bone.

@glo - Haha, it doesn't even have any multiplayer, so I'm not hawking for co-op people or anything.

At the very least, the demo is worth a run-around. It doesn't let you out into the 'world' so you don't see the free-roaming stuff, which is essentially a gloomier version of what Far Cry 3 does. You also don't get to see the Blood Dragons, which are the result of what would happen if somebody in a game development meeting said "Hey, WHAT IF we add an animal to the Far Cry 3 food chain that stands five metres tall and attacks and eats everything and shoots lasers and is armour plated and looks like a T-Rex?".

Everything in the game comes from a similarly bonkers school of "What If....?"

Edited by agparrot at 11:40:17 02-05-2013
  • fletch7100 2 May 2013 11:46:55 7,446 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rifle reload animation should be the standard for all games

Healing yourself with out a med pack means you use a grip strengthen instead

Just random :)
  • dunny 2 May 2013 11:51:12 463 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For those playing on the console version, does it hold up ok? Was a little bit worried by the EG face off and the framerate issues it mentions.

I played FC3 on a PC but don't have access to that at the moment, so just wondering if playing on XBox will be a disappointment in comparison.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 12:00:53
    @dunny haven't really noticed much in the way of framerate dips on Xbox so far.
  • agparrot 2 May 2013 12:02:01 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dunny wrote:
    For those playing on the console version, does it hold up ok? Was a little bit worried by the EG face off and the framerate issues it mentions.

I played FC3 on a PC but don't have access to that at the moment, so just wondering if playing on XBox will be a disappointment in comparison.
    It seems slicker than FC3 to me.

Last night I ended up in a messy battle when a Cyber-Wild Boar bit me as I hid in a bush, trying to avoid a Dragon. I ran away from the Blood Dragon that was stalking around the road beneath me, and two jeeps came blazing around the mountain from the direction I was running in, just as I'd changed direction to avoid a couple of Cassowaries. We all ended up meeting in a laser-riddled gun battle, and I didn't notice the game slowing down.

The Cyber-Boars ran away, apart from the one who was trying to bite me, that I managed to stab to death before trying to make a break for it myself. The Cyber-Cassowaries initially tried to run away, but seemed to be herded by the jeeps towards the Dragon. It became apparent that *I* was the target the Dragon had heard and was chasing after, so I tossed a Cyber-Heart towards the jeeps, that had pulled up and were dispersing their Omega Force soldiers, and sprinted for relative safety as the troopers got obliterated by the Dragon. The Dragons are great, and it's worth having a look at their descriptions in the bestiary, too.

All the menu stuff is much, much quicker and slicker than the slow-coach rubbish that was in FC3, too.
  • neems 2 May 2013 12:12:21 1,454 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just reading about people's experiences in game cracks me up. Honestly, try reading what agparrot just wrote with a straight face.
  • fletch7100 2 May 2013 12:16:37 7,446 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just read the description of the starting rifle "The Fazertron" :) in the research data tab
  • agparrot 2 May 2013 12:27:13 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    Just read the description of the starting rifle "The Fazertron" :) in the research data tab
    Yeah, the game is completely fine with using what should be a tired, generic green-screen-terminal 'joke' layout for the menu screens, but here it feels perfectly at home. It's all so well judged in its implementation, whether it's the side mission descriptions from things like "Save A Nerd", the unashamedly gung-ho claptrap uttered by Biehn and the co-stars, or the contrived laughs from gags about Failing to Understand our Capacity for Kindness.
  • Hypercube 2 May 2013 12:49:42 976 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What the fucking fuck? I played it this morning, saw it saving at a checkpoint but when I start it now it's taken me back to the start of the game! Now I have to do that godawful tutorial section again.

Sheeit.
  • neems 2 May 2013 12:58:46 1,454 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The only problem I have is that I can't redefine the controls for vehicles - which basically means that I can't use them. I don't know if there have been any rumblings from Ubisoft about it?
  • Whizzo 2 May 2013 12:59:52 43,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The reload and healing animations are amazing, one where your cyberhand is flopping about completely fucked is so well done.

As is the reload for the shotgun when it's semi-auto, just tossing shells into it is great.

Another thing I liked was when you get the minigun it's just another gun, none of this bollocks about only having limited ammo and having to drop it when you run out, nope you see an ammo pile and you can reload it, marvellous.

This space left intentionally blank.

• agparrot 2 May 2013 13:04:10 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Another thing I liked was when you get the minigun it's just another gun, none of this bollocks about only having limited ammo and having to drop it when you run out, nope you see an ammo pile and you can reload it, marvellous.
    Biehn scream-rages like Rambo shooting the M60 in Rambo while he's shooting the minigun, too.

• Whizzo 2 May 2013 13:10:10 43,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The screaming is just perfect.

This space left intentionally blank.

• b0rk 2 May 2013 13:10:46 2,942 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

/throws down gun
  • mikeck 2 May 2013 14:50:30 1,936 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wasn't immediately interested when this was announced, but I bought it last night and am glad I did - it's very good.

Loving the 80s styling, the cutscenes, the humour, and all the greatness retained from FC3 - such a great entertaining game.
  • fletch7100 2 May 2013 15:16:45 7,446 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Loving some of the quotes. This one surprised me after a melee kill

Cunt Stabber
  • neems 2 May 2013 15:27:43 1,454 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    neems wrote:
    The only problem I have is that I can't redefine the controls for vehicles - which basically means that I can't use them. I don't know if there have been any rumblings from Ubisoft about it?

Well, it turns out that I'm an idiot, so that's okay then. I'm sure that menu wasn't there earlier.
  • L_Franko Moderator 2 May 2013 15:36:35 9,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not buying it.
    I'm just not.
    Never going to happen.
    I have more than enough to get on with.
    It just can't happen.
    Not possible.
    Simple as that.
  • agparrot 2 May 2013 15:42:21 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    neems wrote:
    neems wrote:
    Well, it turns out that I'm an idiot, so that's okay then. I'm sure that menu wasn't there earlier.
    I'm sure that's a bit of a relief!

@L_Franko - It's the XBLA release of the year so far for me, and there have been some corkers already.
  • L_Franko Moderator 2 May 2013 15:50:56 9,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I said I'm not buying it!

Ok, I'll buy it.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 16:10:40
    It could be the greatest thing I've ever played. Ever.

Biowhat?
  • thedaveeyres 2 May 2013 16:24:25 11,587 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:

Biowhat?
    Funnily enough I've just picked this up as my first game in what I think I'll have to term "Post-Bioshock Infinite Gaming". :)

Really looking forward to a blast with none of those darned feels. ;)

In other news, I always read your username as "billyclitfingers", like some kind of unfortunately deformed 50s mobster.

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Deleted user 2 May 2013 16:33:24
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    BillCityfingers wrote:

Biowhat?
    Funnily enough I've just picked this up as my first game in what I think I'll have to term "Post-Bioshock Infinite Gaming". :)

Really looking forward to a blast with none of those darned feels. ;)

In other news, I always read your username as "billyclitfingers", like some kind of unfortunately deformed 50s mobster.
    Now I'm going to have to draw billy clitfingers......
  • fletch7100 2 May 2013 16:52:59 7,446 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sniper rifle with explosive rounds oh yeah :)
  • neems 2 May 2013 16:53:48 1,454 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watch out for those shifty Cyber Cassowaries.

They should make this a full on franchise... possibly include some daylight. I wonder if the Dunia engine could handle urban areas?
  • Wavey 2 May 2013 17:42:22 430 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    how does it run on ps3?
  • Dirtbox 2 May 2013 17:53:58 79,203 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why the living fuck has it installed uplay on my fucking computer when I bought it through Steam? What an absolute crock.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Dirtbox 2 May 2013 18:00:17 79,203 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Triggerhappytel 2 May 2013 18:15:28 2,695 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The soundtrack is just pure brilliance. Thanks Tom for sharing it.
  • Humperfunk 2 May 2013 19:20:59 2,492 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    *plays hour and a half last night*
    *presses "continue game" today*
    *game is back at the beginning*

Can't be fucked with this, disappointing piece of turd.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Page

of 9 First / Last